Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    So, can someone please tell me: are the next two weeks crucial?
    Always!
    Hiya
  • Options
    If you were a manager, you might prefer a long deal as many managers don't have long careers.
    Totally understand that Mutts. I'd be exactly the same. But would that be condusive in getting the best out of him?
    I’m not saying you’re wrong but can you see Bowyer sitting back & relaxing? I can’t 
  • Options
    All LB had to say was that he knows his agent met with Southall at the game and he will catch up with him sometime over the remainder of the weekend to get an understanding of the details of the 5 year contact being offered. Not sure why he feels the need to go on about there being a big difference between a 5 year contact with full compensation if sacked earlier, or an alternative which might be 5 x 1 year rolling contracts. Talk to your agent first and find out the facts.

I am a big fan of LB but if I was his employer I would be a bit ticked off with his apparent desire to play out every aspect of the negotiations in public.
    The difference I can see is if you accepted a longer contract because they wouldn’t pay the salary you wanted annually but would say pay the value of a three year contract but over a five year period. Then if sacked after two years you’d only get compensation for a year and you would have effectively lost out.
  • Options
    If you were a manager, you might prefer a long deal as many managers don't have long careers.
    Totally understand that Mutts. I'd be exactly the same. But would that be condusive in getting the best out of him?
    I’m still looking in the mirror I suppose of Wembley last year. If we had lost it would have been some nobody in charge of a decimated team.

Quite happy to see Lee get a 5 year deal.

He has never seemed to be a “well that’s done, I will relax now...”. He is a doer, motivated and we are lucky to have him.

If Bruce hadn’t of turned it around at Newcastle, could have seen Lee getting a gig in the Premiership as an up and coming young British Manager.

Lee is hungry and tenacious.

Again we are lucky to have him....
  • Options
    I think Bowyer knows his stock his high and has a lot of faith in his ability. Being an ex star player, he also understands that it carries a premium. 
  • Options
    Anyone think the 5 year no questions asked ( if that's what it is) contract is the way to go?
    I understand the stability bit, but 5 years?

I'm a firm believer that managers need to be kept on their toes. Short contracts do sometimes get the best out of people.
    Look at solskjaer. Performing wonders until his 3 year contract and then it all went down hill.  Didn't Pardew wangle himself  a pretty decent package when he was with us?
    I know I've got some reservations about how Bows will perform under such a long contract?
    I'm not suggesting 6 monthly or anything silly like that but I think 2- 3 years with a 2 year roll on is reasonable.

What kind of contract was he offered elsewhere?
    We'll never know, but I doubt if many clubs would have gone in with anywhere near 5 years with someone who is essentially still a rookie.

A bit like Lyle. Bows has to be reasonable about what he could achieve elsewhere.

I've no doubt he will be.
    Thing is Bowyer, and Lyle, know exactly what they can achieve elsewhere financially because they both been offered deals by other clubs.

It's a negotiation and that requires both sides to be reasonable.
    5 years is an unusual contract though and doesnt mean it's a financially attractive contract. I mean I would much prefer a 3 year deal on a million quid a year than a 5 year one on 500k PA. 
    Very true

MS and LB both know they are playing poker in public.

• Options
    KHA said:

Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but the way to undermine a relationship is to take a disagreement to the press rather than to the other person in the relationship; it is, in effect, saying to the other person that I don’t trust you to deal with me fairly unless I ensure that your actions are in full public view.

Thanks to bobmunro we know the way compensation for contract termination almost always works in contracts for managers. LB knows this too. He said as much when explaining the ‘problem’ with the so-called five-year contract. I take it that what makes it actually a five-year contract is that it provides a guarantee of (normally) twelve months’ compensation for a period of five years. That’s not to say LB isn’t entitled to say he wants a non-standard contract, but it is to say that he has no justification for making the issue public, unless the relationship has broken down and he has reason to believe he can’t trust MS; but surely he is not at that point.

Perhaps LB has misapplied what he takes to be a lesson learned from his last contract negotiation, ie when RD went public on the CAFC website saying negotiations with LB had broken down, and this had the desired effect of bringing LB at once to the telephone to sort the difference out. However, what might be effective in a non-functioning relationship, isn’t generally the right move when you’re trying to build a close and productive one.

I am with you on this. He may well have been a football agent but Matt Southall strikes me as fairly inexperienced as a hands CEO/manager of a business based on his CV to date. He also comes across as a nervous, inexperienced interviewee. I don't think he will thank Bowyer for playing some of this out in public, as I would guess Southall also is trying to establish his standing with HE right now.
    Let’s not forget it was Matt Southall that first mentioned the 5 year option and prior to that he also announced the original plan which was to wait until after the January window to negotiate the deal.
    They are both being quite open about releasing snippets of information in this instance.....I myself see this approach to be quite refreshing.......others will no doubt take a different stance, but make no mistake, both parties have been speaking quite openly, not just Bow.
    My point was Southall was asked how long a contract he was offering Bowyer and he said 5 years. Bowyer's agent apparently then met with Southall on Saturday and has all the details. Bowyer says he doesn't have any details himself and needs to catch up with his agent in order to understand what's on offer. He could have just left it there. I am not naive enough not to understand Bowyer probably thinks the more he plays this out in the public the better from him. I just personally think he didn't need to do that when talking to the press yesterday. If after talking with his agent he thinks there is an issue then by all means say that's why negotiations might still be continuing but right now it does feel like it undermines the relationship. There were a different set of circumstances in the negotiations with RD back in the summer. Yes, maybe Bowyer is just being streetwise but there are always options in the approach to take.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    wmcf123 said:
    stonemuse said:
    wmcf123 said:
    mart77 said:
    Tbh I read that as Lee again just trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can for himself and who can blame him. I’m sure by Monday it’ll be all done.
    Or he’ll be gone
    Not a chance 
    We’ll see.  I hope not but other than not being Duchatelet , I wasn’t impressed with anything The new chairman said last week and their inability to get a striker in this week suggests there’s not much in the pot 
    The word ‘wally’ was a polite word introduced to describe people like you.

Back to Bows, he was merely explaining why a managers contract is not as simple as a players contract and that therefore is a bit more complicated and could take longer to finalise.

Stop wetting your nickers and give it a couple of weeks.
    Thanks for that .  Nobody will be happier than me if he turns out to be the best owner ever 
  • Options
    Anyone think the 5 year no questions asked ( if that's what it is) contract is the way to go?

I'm a firm believer that managers need to be kept on their toes. Short contracts do sometimes get the best out of people.
    Look at solskjaer. Performing wonders until his 3 year contract and then it all went down hill.  Didn't Pardew wangle himself  a pretty decent package when he was with us?
    I know I've got some reservations about how Bows will perform under such a long contract?
    I'm not suggesting 6 monthly or anything silly like that but I think 2- 3 years with a 2 year roll on is reasonable.

We'll never know, but I doubt if many clubs would have gone in with anywhere near 5 years with someone who is essentially still a rookie.

A bit like Lyle. Bows has to be reasonable about what he could achieve elsewhere.

Thing is Bowyer, and Lyle, know exactly what they can achieve elsewhere financially because they both been offered deals by other clubs.

I know my memory isn't what it was..who got as far as offering Bow a deal and when? 
  • Options
    I think the details of what might be on the table are easily leaked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the details of what might be on the table are easily leaked.
    You are Rob Segal, Bowyer' agent and I claim my prize 😉.
  • Options

I know my memory isn't what it was..who got as far as offering Bow a deal and when? 
    Cardiff and possibly Huddersfield would have sounded out his agent with how much they would be prepared to offer.  I think "offering a deal" and suggest what said deal would be is just a matter of language. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    The obvious question to me is ?

If Lyle Taylor was offered a Contract before January 2nd why wasn't Lee Bowyer ?

Does anyone know the timeline of the offer to Taylor from ESI, not from Roland because there is so much confusion.

A written up Contract can only happen when you get the green light from the EFL because you are not in charge, but is there any reason that you can't be offered a draft contract despite only being 90% to being a new owner ?

Time for a summary. When was Lyle offered his new contract and when did ESI withdraw it, I thought Matt said 24 hrs or 48 hrs and then said I saw Lyle at the training ground but he didn't come over to speak to me. My door is always open !

• Options
    Southall said the priority when he turned up was players and the window. Bowyer was on the back burner.
  • Options

Cardiff and Huddersfield.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    The obvious question to me is ?

If Lyle Taylor was offered a Contract before January 2nd why wasn't Lee Bowyer ?

Does anyone know the timeline of the offer to Taylor from ESI, not from Roland because there is so much confusion.

A written up Contract can only happen when you get the green light from the EFL because you are not in charge, but is there any reason that you can't be offer a draft contract despite only being 90% to being a new owner ?

Time for a summary. When was Lyle offered his new contract and when did ESI withdraw it, I thought Matt said 24 hrs or 48 hrs and then said I saw Lyle at the training ground but he didn't come over to speak to me. My door is always open !

Bowyer knows what they have been offering. It wasn’t what he wanted, hence nothing happened.
  • Options

Cardiff and Huddersfield.

So this is why Lee Bowyer and Rob Segal know what a Championship manager should be paid and how the contract should be laid out.

If the meeting took place Saturday then  Rob Segal would've made Matt aware what Lee could get elsewhere as MS said Rod Segal had the contract on Thursday.

It will happen, just a bit of brinkmanship.

• Options

5 years is an unusual contract though and doesnt mean it's a financially attractive contract. I mean I would much prefer a 3 year deal on a million quid a year than a 5 year one on 500k PA. 
    Very true

Indeed, I’m not massively panicking but it’s a slight concern it’s being done this way. I would prefer it was done behind closed doors personally. 

I take your original point but Bowyer does need to be careful. He has been sought after but that before we fell 13 places, no guarantee he’s got that sort of interest anymore. 
  • Options
    Mr Southall has already painted himself in to a corner really hasnt he?

He said contracts for Bower and Taylor where his first priority.  He said he wanted to sign Leko and Cullen on perms.   

If Taylor won't sign, keeping him until the end of the season or selling him in the window both make sense.  Depending on other things. 

But he can't sack Bowyer and if Bowyer walks, saying lack of value of contract is the problem, Southall is snookered.  

If Bowyer makes a contract for Taylor a "line in the sand" it could get messy. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Mr Southall has already painted himself in to a corner really hasnt he?

He said contracts for Bower and Taylor where his first priority.  He said he wanted to sign Leko and Cullen on perms.   

If Taylor won't sign, keeping him until the end of the season or selling him in the window both make sense.  Depending on other things. 

But he can't sack Bowyer and if Bowyer walks, saying lack of value of contract is the problem, Southall is snookered.  

If Bowyer makes a contract for Taylor a "line in the sand" it could get messy. 

If Bowyer makes a contract for Taylor a line in the sand then it won't get messy - Bowyer would be out of a job and quite rightly.
    Your 100% right but would you risk the good will for a few grand each way?

By saying its your priority, as part of your 1st pitch to the fans, then selling one and sacking the other isn't a great start. 
  • Options

Very true

Indeed, I’m not massively panicking but it’s a slight concern it’s being done this way. I would prefer it was done behind closed doors personally. 

I take your original point but Bowyer does need to be careful. He has been sought after but that before we fell 13 places, no guarantee he’s got that sort of interest anymore. 
    Agree.

The pressure on Bowyer changes under the new regime.

RD just wanted a cheap option to hold the fort until a sale so Bowyer was relatively safe other than Duchatelet's irrational incompetence.

Now there will new pressure and higher expectations.

ESI are smart enough to know that Bowyer is a very good manager and want to keep him but down the line he'll have to be a success or he'll be gone.

He knows it, ESI know it hence they both want a deal that protects them if things go wrong and rewards them if it goes well.
    Anything other than that would be a worry.
  • Options
    I want him signed up and happy.  I don't care about the details, not that we're likely to know them all.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    What we have to remember is that Bowyer is happy to be at Charlton and has an affection for Charlton but he will never feel the same way about Charlton as we do. Most of us would manage Charlton for nothing. Not that our free services are in demand or would be any use to Charlton. But Bowyer would happily manage another club if he was well rewarded for it. It doesn't mean he has no affection for the club or its fans, or that he wants to leave, but this is his career more than the blind love we have for the club. 

He is looking to get as good a deal as he can get, which is what virtually every professional manager would do also. ESI will know that Bowyer is the best fit available for the club at this time, but they will have given him a value and if he wants more than that, you could see them looking elsewhere. Hopefully both are realistic and we get this hurdle out of the way which will then mean the club will surely progress.
  • Options
    Has Southall ever said he wants to sign Cullen on a permanent? Don’t recall reading any quotes to that effect. 
  • Options
    And player. Just like Lyle
  • Options

Very true

Agree.

The pressure on Bowyer changes under the new regime.

RD just wanted a cheap option to hold the fort until a sale so Bowyer was relatively safe other than Duchatelet's irrational incompetence.

Now there will new pressure and higher expectations.

ESI are smart enough to know that Bowyer is a very good manager and want to keep him but down the line he'll have to be a success or he'll be gone.

He knows it, ESI know it hence they both want a deal that protects them if things go wrong and rewards them if it goes well.
    Yeah spot on. Bowyer should accept that too. He has a lot of goodwill and like most I believe he is the right man for the job. But ESI are (hopefully) putting a lot of money into the club and seem to have solid sustainable plans. I would love Bowyer to help us be successful but ESI are perfectly entitled to look after their interests too. In fairness, they owe Bowyer nothing.