Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2020
  • Options
    Think Bow needs to be careful. In Tahnoon he’s dealing with a very successful businessman who I doubt is used to being dicked around or used to his dirty laundry being aired in public.
    Ermmm......what’s dirty about it. Both parties are being quite open about the negotiations, doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
  • Options
    Think Bow needs to be careful. In Tahnoon he’s dealing with a very successful businessman who I doubt is used to being dicked around or used to his dirty laundry being aired in public.
    Ermmm......what’s dirty about it. Both parties are being quite open about the negotiations, doesn’t bother me in the slightest.
    Though I’m sure Bowyer didn’t mean it to sound so suspicious, but his comments read as though he might not fully trust the idea that it’s genuinely a 5 year contract.

And he has every right to have reservations until he gets the details, but he shouldn’t come out and potentially discredit the offer so publicly? 

If it were Roland and he was getting dicked about as usual then fine, but these owners have only just got in the door. Switch your brain on Lee...
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    stonemuse said:
    wmcf123 said:
    mart77 said:
    Tbh I read that as Lee again just trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can for himself and who can blame him. I’m sure by Monday it’ll be all done.
    Or he’ll be gone
    Not a chance 
    We’ll see.  I hope not but other than not being Duchatelet , I wasn’t impressed with anything The new chairman said last week and their inability to get a striker in this week suggests there’s not much in the pot 
    The word ‘wally’ was a polite word introduced to describe people like you.

Back to Bows, he was merely explaining why a managers contract is not as simple as a players contract and that therefore is a bit more complicated and could take longer to finalise.

Stop wetting your nickers and give it a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    I think the point Bowyer is making, which is true (and I am surprised it isn't talked about more), is that I doesn't matter if its a 2, 3, 5 or 10 year contract if they only have to pay your 1 years wages to sack you.

IMO all manager contracts should be regular employment contracts. With no end date.  But a "sack me or sell me" clause in.  Unless you sack me or I go else where I'll be here.   
  • Options
    Steve Gallen signing his contract must also have a possitive influence on Bowyer's decision?  
  • Options
    I have no idea what the length of contracts or wages are for Championship managers ?
    Matt Southall knows if he gets Bowyer to sign this long contact on terms to suit Lee, his honeymoon period will last to the end of the season at least and he will have his name chanted every week.

The Bowyer/Southall partnership could be the best since Curbishley/Murray until their divorce. Lee and Matt would be more exciting than Lewellyn and Dicky.

If Lee's agent asked for changes to the contract, ESI would be daft not to agree if they have any ambition about them.
    I don't believe the demands from Lee would be outrageous as he loves being Charlton's manager.

The i will be dotted and the T's will be crossed and we move on and rebuild Charlton Athletic with Lee Bowyer having a 5 year plan.

• Options
    So, can someone please tell me: are the next two weeks crucial?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes they are Jimmy. They always are...
  • Options
    Nah, next two days
  • Options
    All LB had to say was that he knows his agent met with Southall at the game and he will catch up with him sometime over the remainder of the weekend to get an understanding of the details of the 5 year contact being offered. Not sure why he feels the need to go on about there being a big difference between a 5 year contact with full compensation if sacked earlier, or an alternative which might be 5 x 1 year rolling contracts. Talk to your agent first and find out the facts.

I am a big fan of LB but if I was his employer I would be a bit ticked off with his apparent desire to play out every aspect of the negotiations in public.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    stonemuse said:
    wmcf123 said:
    mart77 said:
    Tbh I read that as Lee again just trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can for himself and who can blame him. I’m sure by Monday it’ll be all done.
    Or he’ll be gone
    Not a chance 
    We’ll see.  I hope not but other than not being Duchatelet , I wasn’t impressed with anything The new chairman said last week and their inability to get a striker in this week suggests there’s not much in the pot 
    How do you know they're even looking for a striker?

They might have decided that with Hemed returning, we have enough with him and Davison, plus Bonne and Taylor to return and Green who can also play there. We don't need 6 strikers.
  • Options
    All LB had to say was that he knows his agent met with Southall at the game and he will catch up with him sometime over the remainder of the weekend to get an understanding of the details of the 5 year contact being offered. Not sure why he feels the need to go on about there being a big difference between a 5 year contact with full compensation if sacked earlier, or an alternative which might be 5 x 1 year rolling contracts. Talk to your agent first and find out the facts.

I am a big fan of LB but if I was his employer I would be a bit ticked off with his apparent desire to play out every aspect of the negotiations in public.
    Both sides are rolling the pitch in case a deal is not possible. The five year contract announcement was nothing but a PR response. Bowyer is negating it in PR terms, as he did Matt Southall’s interview statement by saying he wanted it done now. It doesn’t mean there won’t be an agreement. 
  • Options

Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but the way to undermine a relationship is to take a disagreement to the press rather than to the other person in the relationship; it is, in effect, saying to the other person that I don’t trust you to deal with me fairly unless I ensure that your actions are in full public view.

Thanks to bobmunro we know the way compensation for contract termination almost always works in contracts for managers. LB knows this too. He said as much when explaining the ‘problem’ with the so-called five-year contract. I take it that what makes it actually a five-year contract is that it provides a guarantee of (normally) twelve months’ compensation for a period of five years. That’s not to say LB isn’t entitled to say he wants a non-standard contract, but it is to say that he has no justification for making the issue public, unless the relationship has broken down and he has reason to believe he can’t trust MS; but surely he is not at that point.

Perhaps LB has misapplied what he takes to be a lesson learned from his last contract negotiation, ie when RD went public on the CAFC website saying negotiations with LB had broken down, and this had the desired effect of bringing LB at once to the telephone to sort the difference out. However, what might be effective in a non-functioning relationship, isn’t generally the right move when you’re trying to build a close and productive one.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Anyone think the 5 year no questions asked ( if that's what it is) contract is the way to go?
    I understand the stability bit, but 5 years?

I'm a firm believer that managers need to be kept on their toes. Short contracts do sometimes get the best out of people.
    Look at solskjaer. Performing wonders until his 3 year contract and then it all went down hill.  Didn't Pardew wangle himself  a pretty decent package when he was with us?
    I know I've got some reservations about how Bows will perform under such a long contract?
    I'm not suggesting 6 monthly or anything silly like that but I think 2- 3 years with a 2 year roll on is reasonable.

What kind of contract was he offered elsewhere?
    We'll never know, but I doubt if many clubs would have gone in with anywhere near 5 years with someone who is essentially still a rookie.

A bit like Lyle. Bows has to be reasonable about what he could achieve elsewhere.

I've no doubt he will be.
  • Options
    KHA said:

Perhaps I’m old-fashioned, but the way to undermine a relationship is to take a disagreement to the press rather than to the other person in the relationship; it is, in effect, saying to the other person that I don’t trust you to deal with me fairly unless I ensure that your actions are in full public view.

Thanks to bobmunro we know the way compensation for contract termination almost always works in contracts for managers. LB knows this too. He said as much when explaining the ‘problem’ with the so-called five-year contract. I take it that what makes it actually a five-year contract is that it provides a guarantee of (normally) twelve months’ compensation for a period of five years. That’s not to say LB isn’t entitled to say he wants a non-standard contract, but it is to say that he has no justification for making the issue public, unless the relationship has broken down and he has reason to believe he can’t trust MS; but surely he is not at that point.

Perhaps LB has misapplied what he takes to be a lesson learned from his last contract negotiation, ie when RD went public on the CAFC website saying negotiations with LB had broken down, and this had the desired effect of bringing LB at once to the telephone to sort the difference out. However, what might be effective in a non-functioning relationship, isn’t generally the right move when you’re trying to build a close and productive one.

I am with you on this. He may well have been a football agent but Matt Southall strikes me as fairly inexperienced as a hands CEO/manager of a business based on his CV to date. He also comes across as a nervous, inexperienced interviewee. I don't think he will thank Bowyer for playing some of this out in public, as I would guess Southall also is trying to establish his standing with HE right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always!
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    stonemuse said:
    wmcf123 said:
    mart77 said:
    Or he’ll be gone
    Not a chance 
    You're definitely a contender.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    It’s mad the we know anything about these negotiations. Should be under wraps ‘til it’s done. 
    It is, but if anyone’s got any details on it, I’d love to hear!
  • Options
    Anyone think the 5 year no questions asked ( if that's what it is) contract is the way to go?

I'm a firm believer that managers need to be kept on their toes. Short contracts do sometimes get the best out of people.
    Look at solskjaer. Performing wonders until his 3 year contract and then it all went down hill.  Didn't Pardew wangle himself  a pretty decent package when he was with us?
    I know I've got some reservations about how Bows will perform under such a long contract?
    I'm not suggesting 6 monthly or anything silly like that but I think 2- 3 years with a 2 year roll on is reasonable.

We'll never know, but I doubt if many clubs would have gone in with anywhere near 5 years with someone who is essentially still a rookie.

A bit like Lyle. Bows has to be reasonable about what he could achieve elsewhere.

Thing is Bowyer, and Lyle, know exactly what they can achieve elsewhere financially because they both been offered deals by other clubs.

It's a negotiation and that requires both sides to be reasonable.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Bowyer knows that when RD went public the deal got concluded quite quickly.
    Perhaps, it's his way of speeding things along. So he can sign a few players before it's too late ?
  • Options
    KHA said:

I am with you on this. He may well have been a football agent but Matt Southall strikes me as fairly inexperienced as a hands CEO/manager of a business based on his CV to date. He also comes across as a nervous, inexperienced interviewee. I don't think he will thank Bowyer for playing some of this out in public, as I would guess Southall also is trying to establish his standing with HE right now.
    Let’s not forget it was Matt Southall that first mentioned the 5 year option and prior to that he also announced the original plan which was to wait until after the January window to negotiate the deal.
    They are both being quite open about releasing snippets of information in this instance.....I myself see this approach to be quite refreshing.......others will no doubt take a different stance, but make no mistake, both parties have been speaking quite openly, not just Bow.
  • Options

Thing is Bowyer, and Lyle, know exactly what they can achieve elsewhere financially because they both been offered deals by other clubs.

It's a negotiation and that requires both sides to be reasonable.
    5 years is an unusual contract though and doesnt mean it's a financially attractive contract. I mean I would much prefer a 3 year deal on a million quid a year than a 5 year one on 500k PA. 
  • Options
    Bowyer knows that when RD went public the deal got concluded quite quickly.
    Perhaps, it's his way of speeding things along. So he can sign a few players before it's too late ?
    True, but he knew that could affect RD. Could be a different story with these guys and he may need to tread carefully. 
  • Options
    If you were a manager, you might prefer a long deal as many managers don't have long careers.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    If you were a manager, you might prefer a long deal as many managers don't have long careers.
    Totally understand that Mutts. I'd be exactly the same. But would that be condusive in getting the best out of him?