Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

*******Bowyer SIGNED 3 YEAR DEAL (page 27 onwards )******

Comments

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    Posting only having read page 1 so far but maybe this is set up for an on the pitch signing for both Bow & Lyle before ko on Saturday....

Now wouldn't that raise the noise level from the home areas ! 

And put the Baggies off their game ?  
    The stuff dreams are made of, Fanny!
    And Tingles of monumental proportions, Bob ! 
  • Options
    Pretty sure I'd get fanny tingles were that to happen and I don't own a fanny.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    That's some rascal clobber Bow was wearing at today's press conference!

looked like he'd won the Masters (he'll grow into the jacket ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Airman if you are right then he needs to understand the nature of who he is dealing with.

I am going to upset a lot of people but if I were HE Tahnoon Nimer I am not going to be playing these games. I do not do my business in the press. I have a simple message here I am not here to be the "cash cow" for all and sundry.

If an employee, any employee put that in the press deliberately no matter how good he is, he is out the door.

Grapevine, this reads to me that you feel Lee Bowyer should be sacked for going to the press.
    If that's what you meant, then for the first time I must disagree.
    Managers use the media to put owners in their place all the time. The reality is that ESI are in no position to sack Bowyer, currently, and if they did it would be their loss, which Bowyer will know. I do think if he was generally happy he wouldn’t have done this.
  • Options
    WSS said:
    Five year deal means sweet FA if it's only £70k a year...
    If offers both the manager security regardless of the salary as well as it enables LB to tell players about the long term plans. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    “ these shite 2 bob online news outlets posing as authentic journalism rather than fear mongering and sensationalist click bait”

I don’t disagree about the way the internet has exaggerated and intensified the discussion, but it’s that which is the difference, not the media.

When the SLP gives up the ghost there will be no mainstream media outlets left to challenge the club’s version of events, allowing the unscrupulous to peddle any nonsense they want. It won’t enhance the debate. Quite the opposite.
    Fine.
    But let’s not pretend they are beyond reproach either.
    Having just read the twitter dialogue from today’s press conference it seems clear that the article was just to induce a reaction from our new chairman.
    Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and just reminds me why I’ve never bought a paper in my life.
    And I’m a tad disappointed in Bows too, if he knew exactly what he was doing.
  • Options
    remember that Southall is not the money man, nor will be really be the decision maker ..  he is essentially a PR mouthpiece for the real money men

Bit will have a hefty say in things given his position at the club.
  • Options
    “ these shite 2 bob online news outlets posing as authentic journalism rather than fear mongering and sensationalist click bait”

I don’t disagree about the way the internet has exaggerated and intensified the discussion, but it’s that which is the difference, not the media.

When the SLP gives up the ghost there will be no mainstream media outlets left to challenge the club’s version of events, allowing the unscrupulous to peddle any nonsense they want. It won’t enhance the debate. Quite the opposite.
    Fine.
    Having just read the twitter dialogue from today’s press conference it seems clear that the article was just to induce a reaction from our new chairman.
    Leaves a bitter taste in my mouth and just reminds me why I’ve never bought a paper in my life.

Bit harsh on the SLP in this instance i think.

They've been provided with quotes from our manager that effectively dispute what the Chairman said publicly two days earlier. He was also making out very clearly that he wanted his contract resolved ASAP. This may have prompted Southall to 360 about turn to what he said on Tuesday.

Until the press conference this afternoon, no one was any the wiser of the latter development, so i think it was understandable people were concerned. People want Bowyer to stay and there was clearly a disagreement being played out publicly, which isn't ideal.

What's occurred looks like being the perfect outcome. Given the popularity strong hand that Bowyer is currently holding, and potentially the inexperience of Southall / ESI, you could argue this was was most likely outcome.

I certainly feel a lot better this afternoon that things appeared this morning.

I would have had a strong preference for none of this to be played out publicly though and would happily have been none the wiser.

That ain’t the world we are in now mate ... unfortunately. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

Fine.
    Not beyond reproach but the SLP had no interest in that press conference because of their print deadline, which is lunchtime. It’s a good story but I guarantee it was set up by LB who knew exactly what he was doing. It was not about the SLP, it was about Charlton internal politics.
  • Options

Fine.
    Not beyond reproach but the SLP had no interest in that press conference because of their print deadline, which is lunchtime. It’s a good story but I guarantee it was set up by LB who knew exactly what he was doing. It was not about the SLP, it was about Charlton internal politics.
    Which disappoints me.
    On both counts.
    I’ve never been the SLP greatest fan having had to deal with them in my past life.
    But I’ve always found Richard to be one of their better journos. So I do wonder how it would have played out if he had have put out the article. 
    We’ll never know and I send my deepest sympathies to him at this time.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Think I'm done with football to be honest. Can't be doing with year on year compounded uncertainty. Still stand by giving people the benefit of doubt, including RD to begin with, but it's meant to be about football, not contracts and fuckin shares.

It was always like this to an extent mate. It's just with the advent of social media, forums and rolling news everything is magnified, sendatinalised and over analysed to the nth degree with extra focus on the worst case scenario.

Generation angst.

If, this morning, we'd not seen CL, twitter or these shite 2 bob online news outlets posing as authentic journalism rather than fear mongering and sensationalist click bait then we'd be non the wiser and then hear later on that Bowyer had been offered a 5 year contract...without all the needless speculation and pant pissing.

For all its wonderful benefits the internet hasn't half made us lose a sense of perspective and every day lurch from one mini crisis to the next blowing everything up and out of proportion in fits of hysteria and unnecessary panic based predominantly on very little factual basis.

Amen to that Rodders, Amen to that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The quality of the SLP and newsshopper has deteriorated massively over the last decade probably due to commercial viability reasons and massive cost cutting.

Same with most online news...all fighting for clicks so much of it over sensationalised with very little substance or context....it's the speed of it too...throw up a few enticing paragraphs that can cause a ensuing frenzy and be clarified for more clicks hours later.

It's a change of the industry not restricted to one particular outlet but has certainly brought about a diminishing of proper journalism I think. But the public wants what the public gets.

Fine.

Bit harsh on the SLP in this instance i think.

They've been provided with quotes from our manager that effectively dispute what the Chairman said publicly two days earlier. He was also making out very clearly that he wanted his contract resolved ASAP. This may have prompted Southall to 360 about turn to what he said on Tuesday.

Until the press conference this afternoon, no one was any the wiser of the latter development, so i think it was understandable people were concerned. People want Bowyer to stay and there was clearly a disagreement being played out publicly, which isn't ideal.

What's occurred looks like being the perfect outcome. Given the popularity strong hand that Bowyer is currently holding, and potentially the inexperience of Southall / ESI, you could argue this was was most likely outcome.

I certainly feel a lot better this afternoon that things appeared this morning.

I would have had a strong preference for none of this to be played out publicly though and would happily have been none the wiser.

The language used frustrated me a bit.  ‘Demands’, conjures up ideas that Bowyer is completely at odds with MS after what MS said in the interview y’day.  There’s a little bit of brinksmanship (for want of a better term) on the part of Bowyer, a little bit of embellishment on the part of the SLP, and a little bit of eagerness on MS’ part to give as an honest an interview as I think he could y’day, without maybe considering how it would come across to Bowyer.  

MS is new to a role he’s never had before, so I personally wouldn’t be too critical of him in this instance, and I for one am massively impressed with how transparent and humble he’s been so far 

I’m the same as AFKA.  What I do find slightly ironic, is Bowyer’s response after what played out with Bonne’s agent the other week and that tweet.  2 very different statements of course, in different circumstances, but in principle, perhaps they are both matters that should be addressed behind closed doors.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Think I'm done with football to be honest. Can't be doing with year on year compounded uncertainty. Still stand by giving people the benefit of doubt, including RD to begin with, but it's meant to be about football, not contracts and fuckin shares.

It was always like this to an extent mate. It's just with the advent of social media, forums and rolling news everything is magnified, sendatinalised and over analysed to the nth degree with extra focus on the worst case scenario.

Generation angst.

If, this morning, we'd not seen CL, twitter or these shite 2 bob online news outlets posing as authentic journalism rather than fear mongering and sensationalist click bait then we'd be non the wiser and then hear later on that Bowyer had been offered a 5 year contract...without all the needless speculation and pant pissing.

For all its wonderful benefits the internet hasn't half made us lose a sense of perspective and every day lurch from one mini crisis to the next blowing everything up and out of proportion in fits of hysteria and unnecessary panic based predominantly on very little factual basis.

Post of the day
    The mods will be the judge of that!!!!!
  • Options
    So some Charlton fans wanted a black and white response from Duchatelet but since they gave their B+w scarfs back they now don't want transparency from Matt and Lee.
    I find that strange.

• Options
    cabbles said:
    JamesSeed said:

Generation angst.

Post of the day
    The mods will be the judge of that!!!!!
    Always interested in hearing what Ibborg has to say. 
  • Options
    Tbh I read that as Lee again just trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can for himself and who can blame him. I’m sure by Monday it’ll be all done.