Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most memorable game at The Valley

1235»

Comments

• Options
    dabos said:
    Off_it said:
    dabos said:
    Charlton 2 Newcastle 2 when Pringle scored in the 94th minute to end the 8 match losing run in 98/99.
    Sorry mate, but of all the great games there have been over the years THAT is your most memorable?

Did you miss all the others?
    Given the celebrations (limbs if you prefer) after Pringle's equaliser, I remember it with far more affection than some of the poxy Championship and League One games people have mentioned that I've successfully eradicated from my memory.
    Does anyone really prefer it?? "Celebrations" is a perfectly good description, "limbs" means nothing.

ps I agree, it was a great moment! 
  • Options
    Very valid nomination Dabos. Completely disagree with Offits dismissal of that. 
  • Options
    The 4-3 night game against Brighton in 1977 was a special game. Billed as Ward v Flanagan, they took the lead. We went 2-1 only for them to go 3-2 before a dramatic equaliser and a winner that took the roof off the Covered End. I remember leaping for the winner and my feet not touching the terraces for forty feet as the surge from behind swept everyone down to the front of the terrace. The singing from both ends was deafening the whole game and, for once, we took the points and the glory.
    LOL, I was in that surge....I was standing behind the right hand post, I can still see Paddys shot curl into the top corner. Absolute bedlam.
  • Options
    The 4-3 night game against Brighton in 1977 was a special game. Billed as Ward v Flanagan, they took the lead. We went 2-1 only for them to go 3-2 before a dramatic equaliser and a winner that took the roof off the Covered End. I remember leaping for the winner and my feet not touching the terraces for forty feet as the surge from behind swept everyone down to the front of the terrace. The singing from both ends was deafening the whole game and, for once, we took the points and the glory.
    LOL, I was in that surge....I was standing behind the right hand post, I can still see Paddys shot curl into the top corner. Absolute bedlam.
    So was I. I nearly went headfirst down the steps to the back exit.
  • Options
    Great thread. They've all been mentioned but the most important factor was the magnificent Covered End atmosphere. Probably the best moment for milking it was Paddy's goal v Brighton, such a great match. A Brighton fan threw a lightbulb at me as their train pulled out and glanced off my head. Made it more memorable. Ha ha.

The only other one that hasn't been mentioned was beating City 4-0 first game of the season in 2000 after both were promoted. As we stuttered over the line, some City players mentioned that they felt they were the better team and were sorry the season ended when it did. We comprehensively put them firmly in their place and Kinsella mocking Weaver after his time wasting antics in the previous seasons home loss was quality. Was at Maine Road when we thrashed them 4-1 after a 5-0 thrashing at West Ham on boxing day 4 months later. Jensen's 40 yard blocked clearance over Weaver made my day. Parker back from a loan at Norwich played that day and became a mainstay thereafter.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Very valid nomination Dabos. Completely disagree with Offits dismissal of that. 
    I get that it was "memorable", but the thread is titled "Most memorable game at The Valley", not "games".

I still maintain that if the most memorable game you have ever seen at The Valley - the one that pops into your head before any others - is a 2-2 draw against Newcastle then surely you didn't see some of the others.

But each to their own.
  • Options
    A Brighton fan threw a lightbulb at me as their train pulled out and glanced off my head. Made it more memorable. Ha ha.

That was like one of Phil Warmans near post flicks.......I nearly did a Jimmy Giles when I saw it happen, charging in to head it into the net.
  • Options
    Been to so many games but the old Friday/Tuesday night games always stick in my mind.

Brighton and Southampton ones being the best and one of the stattos on here will have to tell me the scores. 

The Covered End those nights was crammed and I can still picture my mate being carried down out of the stairwell by the sheer weight of the crowd, his feet not touching the floor and a look of panic mixed with exhileration on his face at the Brighton one 40 years later.
  • Options
    Been to so many games but the old Friday/Tuesday night games always stick in my mind.

Brighton and Southampton ones being the best and one of the stattos on here will have to tell me the scores. 

The Covered End those nights was crammed and I can still picture my mate being carried down out of the stairwell by the sheer weight of the crowd, his feet not touching the floor and a look of panic mixed with exhileration on his face at the Brighton one 40 years later.
    Forest at home on a Friday night. Most memorable for all the wrong reasons.:D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 2 v Hull 2 will rank long in the memory as my little lad was one of our mascots.  "Best day ever" was his quote. 

He got to run out with Dillon Phillips, had a kick around on the pitch, did a tour of the ground, went in the changing rooms and lots more, he even had a sky camara close up in the tunnel.  Thanks so much to both Dan and Tia at the club for organising.  

He is actually looking forward to school Monday for bragging rights!

• Options
    For me in no particular order.

First game back
    4-2 v Chelsea
    3-3 v Man Utd
    Palace relegation game
    Lisbie hat trick v Liverpool
    Ipswich 1-0 play off game
    And for reasons i'd rather forget the 1-0 defeat to Wycombe that denied us a 2 legged semi final with Chelsea.
  • Options
    It was in the early ‘50s and well into the season.  Charlton were the only team in all four leagues to remain unbeaten at home and this game was against Manchester City at the Valley.  With the score at 1-1 City were awarded a penalty which Don Revie (I think it was) thundered about a foot off the ground leaving Sam no chance in the world.  Charlton’s first defeat at home and I recall leaving the ground with more than a lump in my throat.
  • Options
    Glad so many remember the legendary Brighton game and I didn't dream it.
  • Options
    7-6. Never be equalled. 
    Is this 1956 or 1998? 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Charlton 3-3 Man Utd

No contender for me, this was the greatest in my lifetime. Not only as a Charlton fan, but as a football fan it was really enjoyable to watch...

Also note that we get a mention in the latest episode of the Grand Tour. 

• Options
    Play-off semi in 98 Vs Ipswich......got engaged that day and the tickets were a gift to my future wife. :D She loved it, said yes, we went to Wembley for an amazing day and still together. <3 Newton's goal.....loved that! :)<3
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    With my mates - the 6 2 Southampton game.
    With my eldest son the Sheff W cup game - 96? His first visit to The Valley,he was hooked from then on, 19 yrs season ticket holder (may the boycotting soon be over).
  • Options
    The ones I'll never forget,purely for the exhilaration and what the players achieved,were the semi-final play-off games
    against Ipswich(that Shaun Newton goal)and against Doncaster.The crowd support was fantastic,the drama tangible and 
    we all know what they led to.
    I really enjoyed the games in short succession in the 70's on a Tuesday night under the old lights,when we beat Notts County and Swansea Town scoring six in each game.Thank you,Theo.
    And the promotion game v Preston in the mid-seventies---the first promotion I had experienced us achieve.
    All magical.  :)  :)
  • Options
    The ones I'll never forget,purely for the exhilaration and what the players achieved,were the semi-final play-off games
    against Ipswich(that Shaun Newton goal)and against Doncaster.The crowd support was fantastic,the drama tangible and 
    we all know what they led to.
    I really enjoyed the games in short succession in the 70's on a Tuesday night under the old lights,when we beat Notts County and Swansea Town scoring six in each game.Thank you,Theo.
    And the promotion game v Preston in the mid-seventies---the first promotion I had experienced us achieve.
    All magical.  :)  :)
    Swansea Town? Is that what they was called back in the day? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Swansea was made a city in the late sixties.
  • Options
    They were definitely Swansea Town back in the day.
    Two six goal games. it was nice.