Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most memorable game at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Black Sabbath was a bit special. Especially as that was a fine Arsenal side and it looked like we would get tonked early doors!
  • Options
    Oh yes, I forgot. 
  • Options
    Abandoned game v Doncaster, we were losing but they were down to ten men. 
  • Options
    7-6. Never be equalled. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Abandoned game v Doncaster, we were losing but they were down to ten men. 
    lol We actually just scored before half time to make it 3-1, I was pretty confident we would snatch a draw if the game continued. 
  • Options
    I think most of my favourites have been mentioned already, so will add Charlton 5 Southampton 0, the first PL game at The Valley, and the first top flight match played there since the 1950s.

A brilliant occasion topped by an amazing result (Super Clive hattrick) that put us top!

• Options
    Probably 4-1 v Bradford and 4-4 v Norwich. Probably not all that important in the scheme of things, but they are games I always talk about with my dad and brother. 4-2 v Chelsea as well
  • Options
    Another one for me was the 4.1 home win against Bolton Wanderers on 14th May 1983. 

It was us or them for relegation.  After a cagey 1st half ended 0.0 Bolton took the lead early in the 2nd half and at that moment we were down and out. 

Charlton refused to lie down and fought back bravely. Eventually running out 4.1 winners and Bolton were relegated. 

It was a huge moment for us as with the financial problems going on at the club relegation could have finished us off. 

A key moment in our history. For me anyway. 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Another one for me was the 4.1 home win against Bolton Wanderers on 14th May 1983. 

It was us or them for relegation.  After a cagey 1st half ended 0.0 Bolton took the lead early in the 2nd half and at that moment we were down and out. 

Charlton refused to lie down and fought back bravely. Eventually running out 4.1 winners and Bolton were relegated. 

It was a huge moment for us as with the financial problems going on at the club relegation could have finished us off. 

I remember that game well. The London marathon was being run the same day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton 2-0 Derby. 1969, Derby managed by Clough, Skippered by Dave Mackay.
    Pompey 0-1 (Nicky Ajose) Best away atmosphere, The day i really believed in LB/JJ
    Danny Muphy curling in a free kick pass Paul Robinson of Spurs, Never seen the Jimmy Seed Stand empty so quickly!
  • Options
    Charlton v New Zealand in a 2006 pre-season friendly. First game I took my lad to. Think Bolanos played for us.

Doncaster play-off semi, incredible atmosphere.

5-0 v Southampton.
  • Options
    2-2 in a match in 2006 between Charlton and England. 

Fantastic game.  Some great goals - especially Charlton's first.  It went to penalties, as many of England's games do.  And, of course, England lost.  Partly thanks to the bloke in goal for England wearing a Palace shirt, and partly because, when it was my turn to take one, I did him with my eyes and slotted it inside the right hand post. 

It was the first game at The Valley after Curbishley left.  There was still a large, blue cock and balls on the whiteboard in the changing room.  I reckon it was Herman Hreidarsson who drew it there. 
  • Options
    My first ever game at the valley in 1982
    3-3 v Man Utd 
    4-2, 4-4 and 4-0 games against West Ham
    First Game back at The Valley
    Play off semi Finals v Ipswich and Doncaster
    2-0 v Palace on a Friday night
    4-2 v Chelsea

• Options
    I'm glad you included the Bolton game. I remember the Bolton goal went in at the Jimmy Seed end and the scorer Ian Moore's jumping onto the spiked security fence and milked the goal with the Bolton fans for five minutes.  I can see him now, big blonde bearded lump of a CF in direct contrast to our CF Hales with his shaggy black pirate's beard. You don't normally remember opposition goals that long ago but it was such a hammer blow. I was convinced we were down but Killer Hales turned disaster into Dreamland. Blackbeard grabbed the precious points that sank poor old Bolton to Div 3.

I loved the attack we had from that era. Killer and 'Stepover' Carl Harris and of course Simmo. There was another brilliant come back just before that Bolton match. I think it was 3-3 against Wolves? I also remember fans running on pitch at the end of these games to celebrate.
  • Options
    Evening play off match at twilight when Shaun Newton cut across and slammed it in from the edge of the box.

The day of the flying merchandise booklets.

And I also recall a great game against Southend when Pardew! grabbed the winner.

The game when Crissy Powell kneed it in.
  • Options
    One that always sticks out is the 4-4 v Norwich. Down to 10 men, 4-2 down with 5mins to go. Will always stay with me. 
  • Options
    My first ever game at the valley in 1982
    3-3 v Man Utd 
    4-2, 4-4 and 4-0 games against West Ham
    First Game back at The Valley
    Play off semi Finals v Ipswich and Doncaster
    2-0 v Palace on a Friday night
    4-2 v Chelsea

Got you down for 1982-2019 Mr otto
  • Options
    Relegating palice.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Yes, the 7-6 game for me too.
    I’m surprised more haven’t said this. There were 80,000 of us there that day. Including some of us that hadn’t even been born.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    4-4 against Millwall and 1-0 loss to Norwich when they went up and 1-0 win against Leeds
  • Options
    Only lived in London from ‘99 to ‘07 and was ST holder from 02-03 to 06-07.

Most memorable ones:

Feb 2001: FA Cup 2-4 vs Spurs - my very first game at the Valley

Aug 2002: 2-3 vs Chelsea - my very first game as a season ticket holder

Oct 2002: 1-0 vs Boro - first time I saw us win at the Valley

Dec 2002: 2-0 vs Liverpool and the 10 year Back to the Valley celebration

Sep 2003: 3-2 vs Liverpool (Lisbie hattrick)

Feb 04: 3-2 vs Blackburn (Friedel / Jensen)

• Options
    So many of the great games already mentioned - but for me 68/69 against Cardiff when we were 4 up by HT.A few years later when beat Swansea and Notts County scoring 6 each time.The Villa away when we won 4-3 was pretty special and the 5-0 away day at Tonbridge which was a Great day out.
  • Options
    So many of the great games already mentioned - but for me 68/69 against Cardiff when we were 4 up by HT.A few years later when beat Swansea and Notts County scoring 6 each time.The Villa away when we won 4-3 was pretty special and the 5-0 away day at Tonbridge which was a Great day out.
    The Notts County & Swansea games were quite close together if I recall. 
  • Options
    Both evening games if memory serves me correctly 
  • Options
    E_cafc said:

The marathon game was a Sunday 4-1 win v Oldham. Mark Aizlewood got stuck in traffic and missed the kick off. 
  • Options
    Beating Spurs 4-1, we scored early, Maccauley I think. They equalised and dominated the game, Ian Moores missed a few chances.

Mickey Flanagan got a hat trick in the last ten minutes.

This may have been the game where Mark Penfold broke his leg.
  • Options
    I'm glad you included the Bolton game. I remember the Bolton goal went in at the Jimmy Seed end and the scorer Ian Moore's jumping onto the spiked security fence and milked the goal with the Bolton fans for five minutes.  I can see him now, big blonde bearded lump of a CF in direct contrast to our CF Hales with his shaggy black pirate's beard. You don't normally remember opposition goals that long ago but it was such a hammer blow. I was convinced we were down but Killer Hales turned disaster into Dreamland. Blackbeard grabbed the precious points that sank poor old Bolton to Div 3.

I loved the attack we had from that era. Killer and 'Stepover' Carl Harris and of course Simmo. There was another brilliant come back just before that Bolton match. I think it was 3-3 against Wolves? I also remember fans running on pitch at the end of these games to celebrate.
    There is a sad footnote to Ian Moores, he died when only 44.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    E_cafc said:

The marathon game was a Sunday 4-1 win v Oldham. Mark Aizlewood got stuck in traffic and missed the kick off. 
    I'm sure the Bolton game was on the same day as the Marathon too. Unless my memory is playing tricks with me, I recall being nervous about it and the build up to the marathon.
  • Options
    Bolton game was the last game of the season so probably early May, marathon is usually mid April.