Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most memorable game at The Valley

Comments

• Options
    Relegating palice.
    Fancy blowing that game out to watch Bedlington Terriers v Chalfont St Peter
  • Options
    Relegating palice.
    Fancy blowing that game out to watch Bedlington Terriers v Chalfont St Peter
    It was a difficult decision.
  • Options
    Charlton 3 Man Utd 3.......with Johnny Robinson going ballistic as he scored late on in front of The Covered End to equalise.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Yes, the 7-6 game for me too.
    I’m surprised more haven’t said this. There were 80,000 of us there that day. Including some of us that hadn’t even been born.
    I was -3 and I was there, behind a floodlight in the south east corner.

Or I would have been if they had been installed back then.

And if I'd been alive.

My uncle was there, does that count?
  • Options
    Charlton 2 Newcastle 2 when Pringle scored in the 94th minute to end the 8 match losing run in 98/99.
  • Options
    February 2004: Charlton 3-2 Blackburn (Friedel and Jensen.)
    February 2006: Charlton 2-0 Liverpool (beating the champions league holders at home.)
    January 2012: Charlton 1-0 Sheffield United (Jackos freekick.)
    March 2016: Charlton 0-0 MK Dons (Evening game, went on my own, winning wouldve been a sign we couldve stayed up, I sat in the uncovered part of a sparse covered end lower. It started raining and we were awful. I've never been so depressed at charlton but it was definitely memorable.)
    May 2019: Charlton 2-3 Doncaster Rovers (I loved this game probably more than the play off final. Great game and wonderful scenes after - I just couldn't believe we were going to Wembley.)
  • Options
    That memorable match v Leicester when Stevie Brown got sent off for handball and the programmes were raining down onto the pitch. 
    When Fergie took Beckham and Keane off and the crowd and the players sensed the opportunity, the pure joy of John Robinson’s equaliser.
  • Options
    February 2004: Charlton 3-2 Blackburn (Friedel and Jensen.)
    February 2006: Charlton 2-0 Liverpool (beating the champions league holders at home.)
    January 2012: Charlton 1-0 Sheffield United (Jackos freekick.)
    March 2016: Charlton 0-0 MK Dons (Evening game, went on my own, winning wouldve been a sign we couldve stayed up, I sat in the uncovered part of a sparse covered end lower. It started raining and we were awful. I've never been so depressed at charlton but it was definitely memorable.)
    May 2019: Charlton 2-3 Doncaster Rovers (I loved this game probably more than the play off final. Great game and wonderful scenes after - I just couldn't believe we were going to Wembley.)
    I thought you might have gone with the 6-1 defeat to Leeds. 
  • Options
    The day we lifted the trophy at the end of 2012 season under Chris Powell. Yann’s goal, the confirmation of our highest ever points tally, sold out stadium, loads of smurfs, parachutes. That was a special day with a special team.

The Doncaster Playoff - I don’t really need to explain why, but it’s the one time I truly felt choked after a home game.
  • Options
    Charlton 2 Derby County 0 - Ray Treacy's cracking goal in front of a decent crowd for those times. I think it was 3rd v 2nd in Division 2 but I could be wrong.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    dabos said:
    Charlton 2 Newcastle 2 when Pringle scored in the 94th minute to end the 8 match losing run in 98/99.
    We equalised just after having a goal not given after Mark Bright ( I think) headed the ball down against the defenders legs which were a foot over the line. 
  • Options
    dabos said:
    Sorry mate, but of all the great games there have been over the years THAT is your most memorable?

Did you miss all the others?
  • Options
    CAFC v Watford 2-1 29th Aug 1995 (first game)
    CAFC v Chelski 4-2 Boxing Day.
    CAFC v Man Utd 3-3 Bartlett debut
    CAFC v Palarse 2-2 Relegation Party.
    CAFC v Liverpool 3-2 Lisbie Hat Trick.
    CAFC v Blackburn 3-2 Jensen Last Kick of the game.
    CAFC v Southampton 5-0 Super Clive Hat Trick.
    CAFC v Hartlepool 3-2 Champions Party

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Simonsen said:
    1st game I saw in 1968, although we lost 4-3 to Millwall was smitten thereafter even as an 9 year old Stoke victory when we played our last game before moving to Palarse for all the wrong memorable reasons, Ipswich & Donni play offs. Also, strangely when we beat Fulham at Selhurst to all but guarantee promotion to old First  Division under Lennie Lawrence, remember Lee scoring to make it 2-1 but Paul Parker was immense that night for Fulham.
    We won the Fulham game 2-0 (Pearson and an OG) but you are spot on about Paul Parker. He gave a 10/10 performance that night and basically played us on his own (the worst Fulham team I have ever seen....by miles). 
    Spot on. I think we had only played Fulham away a week or so before and won 3-0, but Paul Parker gave one of the best ever displays as an opponent I have ever seen at Selhurst.
    I often tell people that Parker gave probably the best individual performance that I have ever seen. He was everywhere at the back and I think he was probably knackered when a fresh Robert Lee came off the bench and started running at the Fulham defence. Within minutes he had set up Pearson for the first goal.

• Options
    Probably forgetting something obvious, but here goes

Preston promotion 1975
    Ipswich playoff semi 1998
    Doncaster ditto 2019
    Man Utd 3-3 2000, thought John Robinson was going to spontaneously combust
    Chelsea 4-0 1977 when the Valley burnt
    Chelsea 4-2 2003, the high water mark league wise In the time I’ve been going
    Brighton 4-3 1977, pure football

Accrington 1-0 this year. By no means a classic game of football, but it was when you realised everybody from Lord Bowyer downwards would fight for each other and wouldn’t give in to a bunch of thugs. Plus, a last gasp winner never goes amiss.
  • Options
    2 games from our Premier League days:
    4-2 v Chelsea, Boxing Day 
    3-2 v Liverpool , Lisbie hat trick 

• Options
    The atmosphere at the Donny game will be hard to ever beat, I won't be forgetting that one in a hurry

Special mention for the visit of Den Bosch. It's not often you get to see your team win a trophy at home, in fact that match may be our last cup run. Do the museum have the People's Cup now?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    First game 1984. Not missed too many since the return.

Beaten bigger teams in higher level games but nothing has beat that Doncaster game and the buzz in the air around The Valley that night. Doubt that will ever be beaten
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Another one for me was the 4.1 home win against Bolton Wanderers on 14th May 1983. 

It was us or them for relegation.  After a cagey 1st half ended 0.0 Bolton took the lead early in the 2nd half and at that moment we were down and out. 

Charlton refused to lie down and fought back bravely. Eventually running out 4.1 winners and Bolton were relegated. 

It was a huge moment for us as with the financial problems going on at the club relegation could have finished us off. 

A key moment in our history. For me anyway. 
    I remember that game well. The London marathon was being run the same day.
    Sorry Muttley but the marathon is and was always on a sunday. I watched the Bolton game on the saturday and ran in the marathon the following day in 1983.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hard to pick one from so many.
    The Hales v Flanagan bout in the Maidstone Cup tie was pretty memorable!
    However, 5th December 1992 v Portsmouth can’t really be beaten in terms of what it meant.
    i was in floods of tears come kick off!
    An unforgettable and emotional day.
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Charlton 2 - 1 Preston 1974
    Promotion from Div 3 to Div 2
    On the pitch at the end. I was ten.
    That was it for me, went home and away with my dad and his mates for decades because of that season and that match.
    Last seasons playoff semi was special as well !
    Good call Fella!
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    Another one for me was the 4.1 home win against Bolton Wanderers on 14th May 1983. 

It was us or them for relegation.  After a cagey 1st half ended 0.0 Bolton took the lead early in the 2nd half and at that moment we were down and out. 

Charlton refused to lie down and fought back bravely. Eventually running out 4.1 winners and Bolton were relegated. 

It was a huge moment for us as with the financial problems going on at the club relegation could have finished us off. 

A key moment in our history. For me anyway. 
    I remember that game well. The London marathon was being run the same day.
    Sorry Muttley but the marathon is and was always on a sunday. I watched the Bolton game on the saturday and ran in the marathon the following day in 1983.
    But Muttley if you look at Oldham game following season 24/3/84 that was played same day as 1984 maration.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    dabos said:
    Sorry mate, but of all the great games there have been over the years THAT is your most memorable?

Did you miss all the others?
    Given the celebrations (limbs if you prefer) after Pringle's equaliser, I remember it with far more affection than some of the poxy Championship and League One games people have mentioned that I've successfully eradicated from my memory.
  • Options
    It was a nothing game really, but it's from the time when I enjoyed following Charlton the most - Back at The Valley and before the Premier league.

Charlton 4 - Southend 3
    Managed to get a 3 goal lead, then proceed to blow it in the closing minutes, only for Pardew (spit!) to slide in and score the winner at the death.  We went absolutely barmy!
  • Options
    The day that the new East Stand opened 
  • Options
    The 4-3 night game against Brighton in 1977 was a special game. Billed as Ward v Flanagan, they took the lead. We went 2-1 only for them to go 3-2 before a dramatic equaliser and a winner that took the roof off the Covered End. I remember leaping for the winner and my feet not touching the terraces for forty feet as the surge from behind swept everyone down to the front of the terrace. The singing from both ends was deafening the whole game and, for once, we took the points and the glory.

That's mine from the first decade of going.  Was there a thrice taken penalty after Jeff Wood had saved it twice? I do remember Paddy Powell was unstoppable.  
  • Options
    Yes there was, think encroachment both times. Peter Ward 'missed' the first two and think Brian Horton scored with the third attempt.
  • Options
    E_cafc said:
    The day that the new East Stand opened 
    First match for my two older daughters.
  • Options
    I would agree with many of the great games listed here. For me, one of my favourites was Newcastle in the cup (against Shearer, Lee and co). 1-1, but that goal by Kinsella and the pure joy around the valley will stay with me forever.