Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Most memorable game at The Valley

On a day when we remember how valuable the bricks and mortar that make up The Valley, are to us all, can I ask everyone to offer what is in their view, their most memorable game attended at The Valley.

Pretty sure my dad will say Huddersfield 7-6, others will have special memories for who they shared it with. 

Comments

• Yes, the 7-6 game for me too.
  • Charlton 9 Apoel Nicosia 0
  • edited December 2019
    I was going to post on here before I had to take my wife to work, but I have forgotten what it was now. Seriously, it is too early to call it memorable, but I think you are going to have to go some to beat Doncaster in the Play -Off Semi-Final. Ultimately, 5th December 1992 has to be top though. So top it probably is worth putting it to one side in this thread.
  • 3-2 v Blackburn
  • Doncaster play-off semi-final. Match came at end of first season taking my grandson to Charlton matches and just watching him go through the whole range of emotions makes it so memorable.
  • Was going to say Ipswich at home in the play offs. Preston at home, 3-1 win for promotion, is a stand out too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Athletic 3 Norwich City 3 Boxing Day 1967
    My first visit to what was then an awesome Valley, 3-0 down we fought back for a 3-3 draw...... hooked.

Followed closely by 5th December 1992 ................. Happy Back To The Valley Day!!!!
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Charlton 4 - 2 Chelsea

Di Canio taking liberties... Those where the days

Charlton 5 - 2 Chelsea

Simo taking liberties … Those were the days.

• edited December 2019
    Charlton 2 - 1 Preston 1974
    Promotion from Div 3 to Div 2
    On the pitch at the end. I was ten.
    That was it for me, went home and away with my dad and his mates for decades because of that season and that match.
    Last seasons playoff semi was special as well !
  • Middlesbrough 0-0 
    No thatll be the riverside 2019
  • an impossible question for me to answer:-

- First Game v Reading c. 1977
    - v Stoke 1985
    - v Portsmouth 1992
    - v Southend (East Stand opening)
    - v Southampton - 5-0 Premier league debut
    - Cardiff 5-4
    - Doncaster play off semis (missed Ipswich a few years before)
    - Playing with a deflated Winfield ball at the first clean up and dribbling round the bonfire.

All memorable, and with one exception, brilliant...
  • Greenie said:
    Charlton 2 - 1 Preston 1974
    Promotion from Div 3 to Div 2
    On the pitch at the end. I was ten.
    That was it for me, went home and away with my dad and his mates for decades because of that season and that match.
    Last seasons playoff semi was special as well !
    3-1 Greenie
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Charlton 4 - 2 Chelsea

Charlton 5 - 2 Chelsea

Simo taking liberties … Those were the days.

Charlton 1 - 0 Accrington last season.

Ref taking liberties ... Those were the days.
  • Was going to say Ipswich at home in the play offs. Preston at home, 3-1 win for promotion, is a stand out too.
    The Preston game for me too - with the play-off against Doncaster second.
  • You know a match was pretty special when it gets it's own memorabilia:

• Sponsored links:

• Doncaster play off semi final

Ipswich play off semi final

Man Utd 3-3
  • 5-4 victory v Cardiff
    Playoff semi v Doncaster - fantastic atmosphere
  • Lisbie vs Owen my actual favourite game

run close by Clive’s hat-trick against Southampton
    or the Forest cup game in the hosepiping rain or my first ever game there, a loss in the cup to Leeds but it didn’t matter to me that day
  • CAFC 1-0 Ipswich
    CAFC 5-4 Cardiff
    CAFC 1-5 Rotherham

Guess which one is for sentimental reasons. 
  • For me the 7-6.but Portsmouth 1-0 and Doncatser last year come close,also the 4-2 against Chelsea.
  • Charlton 0 v 0 Barnsley circa 1995. The dullest game of football I have ever witnessed (though there are plenty of contenders!)
  • CAFCsayer said:
    Charlton 4 - 2 Chelsea

This one for me.  Boxing Day game.  After they scored really feared, and expected, the worst.  Made my Christmas.
  • Medway vs Maidstone supporters club back in the early 90s. We (Medway) lost but playing on the pitch was like a dream.

Ipswich play off game too for me. Atmosphere was something else.
  • Charlton 0-0 Stoke City (1994 - My first Charlton game)
    Charlton 3-3 Man Utd
    Charlton 5-4 Cardiff City
    Charlton 3-2 Hartlepool United
    Doncaster Play-Off match
  • Doncaster play off for me.

Special mention for another one that always sticks in my mind.... was a game against Blackburn, Brad Friedel scored late equaliser for them and then Jensen went on to nick at the end to make it 3-2 for us. Was absolutely buzzing after that.