Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most memorable game at The Valley

Comments

• Options

The first game back against Pompey, plus the Doncaster play off were special but my most memorable is the 4 1 win against Bolton in 83.

Last game of the season and whoever won, avoided relegation. We were 1 0 down with about 25 minutes to go but up stepped Killer with 2 goals plus another from Gritty (can't remember who scored the other).

• Options
    Impossible to pick just one.

Blackburn 3-2
    Doncaster Play-Off Semi
    United 3-3
    Leeds 1-6
    Southampton 5-0
    Hartlepool 3-2

The Cardiff 5-4 was on my birthday so that always springs to mind too.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    v Middlesbrough 1982 2-3; Simonsen's debut....and mine.
    v Ipswich FA Cup (same season) - 2-3; 90 minutes of pure entertainment and heroic performances.
    v Chelsea (same season) - 5-2; two unbelievable Simonsen solo goals in quick succession.
    v Wolves (same season) - 3-3; 0-3 down at half time....got it back to 3-3 and nearly won it at the end.
    v Bolton (same season) - 4-1; had to win to stay up....losing with half hour left and then blew them away.
    v Chelsea 1983 - 1-1; the best goalie display ever...by Nicky Johns. 
    v Barnsley 1985 - 5-3; 0-3 down, Ron Futcher hat-trick, Gordon Owen missed pen, Futcher sent off and a rampant 2nd half from Charlton.
    v Sheff Wed 1996 FA Cup - 2-0; beat Premier League oppo with ten men for last 40 mins and thoroughly deserved to win.
    v Man Utd (Premier League) - 3-3; Bartlett two debut headers, a sensational Beckham shot off the bar and John Robinson's last minute equaliser.
    v Doncaster (play off semi). 
    Was that twat Giggs off the bar. 

But United 3-3 is the game that came to mind for me. Was the first true memory of a game for me as I was about seven, and rather fully committed me to the Charlton way, so to speak. 
  • Options
    05/12/1992 pompey 1-0
  • Options
    1st game I saw in 1968, although we lost 4-3 to Millwall was smitten thereafter even as an 9 year old Stoke victory when we played our last game before moving to Palarse for all the wrong memorable reasons, Ipswich & Donni play offs. Also, strangely when we beat Fulham at Selhurst to all but guarantee promotion to old First  Division under Lennie Lawrence, remember Lee scoring to make it 2-1 but Paul Parker was immense that night for Fulham.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Charlton 5 4 cardiff.

that was an amazing night
  • Options
    Greenie said:
    Charlton 2 - 1 Preston 1974
    Promotion from Div 3 to Div 2
    On the pitch at the end. I was ten.
    That was it for me, went home and away with my dad and his mates for decades because of that season and that match.
    Last seasons playoff semi was special as well !
    Yup, that's the main one for me, terrific evening and my first taste of promotion
  • Options

The first game back against Pompey, plus the Doncaster play off were special but my most memorable is the 4 1 win against Bolton in 83.

Last game of the season and whoever won, avoided relegation. We were 1 0 down with about 25 minutes to go but up stepped Killer with 2 goals plus another from Gritty (can't remember who scored the other).

Carl Harris ?
  • Options
    a few for different reasons
    one has to be my first game a 2-3 defeat by Blackburn which stopped our promotion

the Preston win to gain promotion and then running on the pitch at the final whistle

the final game of the season against Burnley when we got relegated and I encouraged fellow west standers to follow me onto the pitch - they didn't

the Donny play off win when we really got our Charlton back

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    v Ipswich FA Cup (same season) - 2-3; 90 minutes of pure entertainment and heroic performances.
    v Chelsea (same season) - 5-2; two unbelievable Simonsen solo goals in quick succession.
    v Wolves (same season) - 3-3; 0-3 down at half time....got it back to 3-3 and nearly won it at the end.
    v Bolton (same season) - 4-1; had to win to stay up....losing with half hour left and then blew them away.
    v Barnsley 1985 - 5-3; 0-3 down, Ron Futcher hat-trick, Gordon Owen missed pen, Futcher sent off and a rampant 2nd half from Charlton.
    v Sheff Wed 1996 FA Cup - 2-0; beat Premier League oppo with ten men for last 40 mins and thoroughly deserved to win.
    v Man Utd (Premier League) - 3-3; Bartlett two debut headers, a sensational Beckham shot off the bar and John Robinson's last minute equaliser.
    Have to agree with these. The comeback against Wolves was superb as they were rampant in the first half. Think they needed to win to go up.
    The others I’ll add are home to Southampton 6-2 on a Friday night;
    the first game after our Sunley takeover which saved the club (Grimsby) and a Friday night game against Palace when Killer got the only goal.
    Another one that sticks in the mind was against Bournemouth in 80-81 at home in the Cup. 1 down until 2 late goals from Killer and Paul Walsh.
  • Options
    Charlton 2 Swindon 2 Llera last kick
  • Options
    Some great nights in the covered end during the 1970,S Stoke City and Sheffield Utd in cup games come to mind. Sunderland match 3 times taken penalty but tops has to be Preston North End 29/04/1975 and my first taste of success for Charlton.
  • Options
    Charlton 4 West Ham 2. Julian Dicks was destroyed that night.
  • Options
    The 2-2 draw we played out on 15th May 2005 was pretty special. Our opponents that day were Crystal Palace if anyone’s forgotten.
  • Options

Carl Harris ?
    Yes, cut in and low shot deflected. 
  • Options
    3-2 vs Brentford, FA Cup 4th round, 1996. Set up an away tie at Anfield. First time after the return that we sold out the 4-sided Valley.

Great game, 3 brilliant goals from us - Bowyer, Robinson and a late free kick winner from the genius feet of David Whyte.

When the FA Cup used to mean something.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:
    Simonsen said:
    Was that twat Giggs off the bar. 

But United 3-3 is the game that came to mind for me. Was the first true memory of a game for me as I was about seven, and rather fully committed me to the Charlton way, so to speak. 
    You're right about Giggs.

They took Beckham and Keane off and that let us back in. 
  • Options
    1st game I saw in 1968, although we lost 4-3 to Millwall was smitten thereafter even as an 9 year old Stoke victory when we played our last game before moving to Palarse for all the wrong memorable reasons, Ipswich & Donni play offs. Also, strangely when we beat Fulham at Selhurst to all but guarantee promotion to old First  Division under Lennie Lawrence, remember Lee scoring to make it 2-1 but Paul Parker was immense that night for Fulham.
    We won the Fulham game 2-0 (Pearson and an OG) but you are spot on about Paul Parker. He gave a 10/10 performance that night and basically played us on his own (the worst Fulham team I have ever seen....by miles). 
  • Options
    7-6 for me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simonsen said:
    We won the Fulham game 2-0 (Pearson and an OG) but you are spot on about Paul Parker. He gave a 10/10 performance that night and basically played us on his own (the worst Fulham team I have ever seen....by miles). 
    Spot on. I think we had only played Fulham away a week or so before and won 3-0, but Paul Parker gave one of the best ever displays as an opponent I have ever seen at Selhurst.
  • Options
    My first thought was the 4-4 with Norwich. 4-2 down with a minute or two left and Jason Lee and Leeeaburn bringing us level. 

Further reflection made me realise that nothing really beats relegating palace on the final day. 
  • Options
    Charlton 4 Portsmouth 1 - Portsmouth top of Division 2 undefeated, pouring with rain, very muddy and we whopped them. I was in the Covered End and can still remember the chant of 'Who's undefeated?' echoing around the ground.

• Options
    Thought of a few but as with others for me it has to be the 74 Preston promotion game.

My first big crowd at The Valley
    My first proper big game
    My first promotion
    My first full scale pitch invasion

Absolutely loved that night 

• Options
    Beating Huddersfield to end their 2,000 game unbeaten run. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Greenie said:
    Charlton 2 - 1 Preston 1974
    Promotion from Div 3 to Div 2
    On the pitch at the end. I was ten.
    That was it for me, went home and away with my dad and his mates for decades because of that season and that match.
    Last seasons playoff semi was special as well !
    Yup, that's the main one for me, terrific evening and my first taste of promotion
    Me too special night as it was our first promotion since 1936
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Most memorable, not to say they were the most important or best, but the most memorable for me: 

10 March 1984 - 3-3 Div 2 v Grimsby, the day I changed from going along with my uncle to watch his team to them becoming my team as well  
    9 Dec 2000 - 3-3 Premier League V Man Utd, what a team they had that day and what a last 20 minutes
    15 May 2005 2-2 but Relegating Palace, childish and perhaps not that big a deal to some but what a day!
    12 May 2019 - Play off v Doncaster, the twists, the turns, but before all that, the noise when we scored that early goal! I will never forget that.

*just seen that's 3 draws and a defeat in normal time, some benchmark for the new owners to meet!  

• Options
    Lisbie v Liverpool
    FA Cup v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round - David Whyte Whyte Whyte plus John Humphrey getting sent off for twice chopping down England's Steve Hodge in full flow.  My lot were seated in the southern end of the East Stand, surrounded by dozens of very confident and boisterous wendies, confident until the late great DW made his mark.
    This year's play-off semi v Doncaster is memorable for being so tense and stressful, barely enjoyed a minute of it.  Always calm (despondent) through penalty shootouts.  The scenes at the conclusion were well worth the preceding hours' anguish.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    So many but not seen the Friday night 6-2 win against Southampton mentioned c 1976.

We looked superb that night but a month or two later Gliksten sold Killer and that was our promotion hopes gone.
    I mentioned it earlier, Len ! Cracking game and, as you say, the sale of Killer was unforgivable.