Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan

Comments

• @Red_Pete_in_Dubai @Chris_from_Sidcup

and any others who’ve had spells based in the region, can you shed any light around the naming aspects and uncertainty around the individual?

• I'm pretty sure it's this chap.

I've scoured YouTube and there's no doubt about it he's a big player. He's guest of honour at all the events he attends. And he attends a lot!

One thing I have noticed is that he never stops laughing and always seems to have a smile on his face. With his money who wouldn't! He just comes across as a friendly chap.

I've scoured YouTube and there's no doubt about it he's a big player. He's guest of honour at all the events he attends. And he attends a lot!

One thing I have noticed is that he never stops laughing and always seems to have a smile on his face. With his money who wouldn't! He just comes across as a friendly chap.
    But we have nothing to suggest he's involved. 
  • edited December 2019

I'm pretty sure it's this chap.

Other than he is the boss of our 2 directors.
    He loves Premier League football.
    A Sheikh I believe is related to him owns Man C and a different Sheikh I believe is related to him tried to buy Newcastle.
    If they are not related they are certainly like minded.
  • edited December 2019

Read the FT article I posted earlier regarding Man city CEO Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak. It came out this morning

He is a close ally of Sheikh monsour who bought the club. Mubarak was bought in to replace the original broker of the deal,
    Sulaiman al-Fahim who was regularly spouting his mouth off in the early days telling all and sundrie how much the sheikh was going to spend. He was quickly outed and replaced with the trusted Mubarak.

Tahnoon Nimer appears to be a very close ally of  
    Sheikh Saeed bin Tahnoun Al Nahyan.

Just sayin.

But he follows us on LinkedIn

https://twitter.com/rob_baker17/status/1201934980055797761?s=21
  • Scoham said:

That's Nimer on linked in, not the Sheikh
  • edited December 2019
    Scoham said:

Exactly. At the moment it's just wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong I hope he is involved, but don't like the idea of sneaky financing to avoid EFL rules (if that were the case).
  • Sponsorship will be done, just hope they don’t buy the stadium...
  • Sponsored links:

• Read all 6 pages on this thread & I'm none the wiser as to which one of these guys is our new owner .

Whoever he is, I just hope he has loads of money to invest 
    ???

Surely we want the buyers of the club to also buy the ground.
  • edited December 2019
    Sponsorship will be done, just hope they don’t buy the stadium...
    ???

Presume it was a reference to the alleged recent shenanigans of Meire et al in Yorkshire 
  • Are we sure this isn't the second coming of John Belushi?

• Scoham said:

Exactly. At the moment it's just wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong I hope he is involved, but don't like the idea of sneaky financing to avoid EFL rules (if that were the case).
    I do... Bring it on! 
  • mendonca said:
    I think it's also worth reminding ourselves that we are in a relegation battle, rather than promotion charge. 
    I wouldn't say we're in either tbh.
    ???

Yeah sorry I meant they don't buy the stadium for 50mil to get around FFP. It's not the right thing to do and we could do without it. 

But having a lucrative sponsorship for the stadium and/or shirts is fine by me!
  • Sponsored links:

and any others who’ve had spells based in the region, can you shed any light around the naming aspects and uncertainty around the individual?
    It is almost impossible to be certain about anything when it comes to investments in the UAE. For example, all foreign business owners require local sponsorship from a UAE national before they can set up & run their business in mainland UAE (free zones are a different matter). This means that many locals are associated, through sponsorship, with many different companies that they are not actually involved with on a day to day basis; they are just in receipt of a sponsorship fee.

Private offices are another very interesting aspect of business in the UAE. They are set up to manage the business affairs of wealthy individuals & there are thousands of them of varying sizes in the country. Most wealthy Emiratis will have their own private office if they are involved in business ownership & investment. I actually worked for one myself when I was living in Dubai.

From my personal experience there is a lot of pride involved when Emiratis consider investment opportunities, ego if you like. They all like to be associated with successful businesses as it elevates their standing in the local community, which is very important to them.

When you get to the top level ruling families, however, the most important thing is secrecy. The local press is strictly controlled & nobody is allowed to publish anything remotely negative about the rulers or their extended families. Certainly nothing about their personal riches or their finances is ever published or made available for public scrutiny.

It is very difficult to know whether Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoun Bin Mohammed Al Nahyan is the real money behind the investment in Charlton or whether it is HE Tahnoon Nimer's personal wealth. The reality of this may never actually be known. We do know, however, that legal ownership rests with Tahnoon Nimer's own business empire & we probably have no choice but to take that at face value for the time being.

The fact that Jonathan Heller is also a new Charlton director as well as being the CEO of the Sheikh's private office (ADBD) is probably not a particularly useful indicator either. Tahnoon Nimer may well just value his colleague's personal expertise, management style & experience as someone to assist him & provide advice about investing in Charlton. Neither of them are going to be office bound with full time involvement in the Sheikh's private office, so this investment wouldn't compromise their "day job" as such.

Also, ADBD already has 60 declared investments on its books. So if the Sheikh was actually bankrolling the investment in Charlton you do have to ask why we wouldn't just be included as number 61?

Again, from my own personal experience, any overseas investment made by an Emirati is going to be monitored carefully to ensure that a financial return is made. Although certain investments in the UAE may well be made on altruistic grounds, to enhance standing in the community, overseas investments will rarely be made on such a basis. So, although there may well be significant early investment in the project this will only continue for a planned period of time before returns are expected. Failure to secure such returns in the planned timescale would normally result in the investment being divested or even closed down. UAE investors will not stand for losing money on overseas investments on an ongoing basis, unless other intangible benefits can be identified (access to visas, pride, ego etc. as described above).

We can be certain, therefore, that there is a plan & that that plan almost certainly involves gaining promotion to the Premier League. We can also be certain that financial returns are expected.

It promises to be an interesting ride, so let's wait and see what actually happens!

An interesting insight, thank you!

It is almost impossible to be certain about anything when it comes to investments in the UAE. For example, all foreign business owners require local sponsorship from a UAE national before they can set up & run their business in mainland UAE (free zones are a different matter). This means that many locals are associated, through sponsorship, with many different companies that they are not actually involved with on a day to day basis; they are just in receipt of a sponsorship fee.

Private offices are another very interesting aspect of business in the UAE. They are set up to manage the business affairs of wealthy individuals & there are thousands of them of varying sizes in the country. Most wealthy Emiratis will have their own private office if they are involved in business ownership & investment. I actually worked for one myself when I was living in Dubai.

From my personal experience there is a lot of pride involved when Emiratis consider investment opportunities, ego if you like. They all like to be associated with successful businesses as it elevates their standing in the local community, which is very important to them.

When you get to the top level ruling families, however, the most important thing is secrecy. The local press is strictly controlled & nobody is allowed to publish anything remotely negative about the rulers or their extended families. Certainly nothing about their personal riches or their finances is ever published or made available for public scrutiny.

It is very difficult to know whether Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoun Bin Mohammed Al Nahyan is the real money behind the investment in Charlton or whether it is HE Tahnoon Nimer's personal wealth. The reality of this may never actually be known. We do know, however, that legal ownership rests with Tahnoon Nimer's own business empire & we probably have no choice but to take that at face value for the time being.

The fact that Jonathan Heller is also a new Charlton director as well as being the CEO of the Sheikh's private office (ADBD) is probably not a particularly useful indicator either. Tahnoon Nimer may well just value his colleague's personal expertise, management style & experience as someone to assist him & provide advice about investing in Charlton. Neither of them are going to be office bound with full time involvement in the Sheikh's private office, so this investment wouldn't compromise their "day job" as such.

Also, ADBD already has 60 declared investments on its books. So if the Sheikh was actually bankrolling the investment in Charlton you do have to ask why we wouldn't just be included as number 61?

Again, from my own personal experience, any overseas investment made by an Emirati is going to be monitored carefully to ensure that a financial return is made. Although certain investments in the UAE may well be made on altruistic grounds, to enhance standing in the community, overseas investments will rarely be made on such a basis. So, although there may well be significant early investment in the project this will only continue for a planned period of time before returns are expected. Failure to secure such returns in the planned timescale would normally result in the investment being divested or even closed down. UAE investors will not stand for losing money on overseas investments on an ongoing basis, unless other intangible benefits can be identified (access to visas, pride, ego etc. as described above).

We can be certain, therefore, that there is a plan & that that plan almost certainly involves gaining promotion to the Premier League. We can also be certain that financial returns are expected.

It promises to be an interesting ride, so let's wait and see what actually happens!

Great piece and very insightful however it leaves me slightly concerned. It is a well know fact there is no such thing as a guaranteed investment when buying a football club, in fact a joke that goes round is what is the quickest way for a billionaire to become a millionaire.............buy a football club.

I just hope their vision of guaranteeing a return on their investment does not revolve around a prime piece of real estate in SE7.

I think the only aspect of the points made in this interesting and insightful post is that Charlton Athletic are a football club and normal business expectations and plans are virtually impossible. I’m sure that a return on the “investment “ is the end goal but I’m sure that will be in the full knowledge of what reaching that goal will cost and entail. 
  • edited December 2019
    Sorry haven't read previous 6 pages, but I believe our actual benefactor is Tahnoon Nemer and we are not in a Man City open chequebook situation, but a carefully funded, professionally managed attempt to tap into Prem funds eventually.  And all the better for that. 
  • I think we have to await EFL approval but I have to disagree with The Great Grapevine and suggest that we are steered by Nimer. 
  • Sorry haven't read previous 6 pages, but I believe our actual benefactor is Tahnoon Nemer and we are not in a Man City open chequebook situation, but a carefully funded, professionally managed attempt to tap into Prem funds eventually.  And all the better for that. 
    Maybe if you had previously read a very insightful post from @Red_Pete_in_Dubai you could have contributed something a bit more insightful into this thread. Why bother posting if you haven’t been bothered to read at least some of the previous 6 pages from which you may have been able to glean some meaningful and useful information. 
  • Is today the day?
  • Scoham said:
    Is today the day?
    Today is always the day until tomorrow when it becomes the day.
  • bobmunro said:
    This is our new owner, HE Tahnoon Nimer, who runs the Sheikh's business.

httpsiytimgcomvi6XgvIXeRS9Qmaxresdefaultjpg

This is HH Sheikh Saeed Bin Tahnoun Bin Mohammed Al Nahyan

httpsiytimgcomviPzCTd2Lu1pUmaxresdefaultjpg

How time changes your perspective.
    A couple of days ago I thought this hold up was just a blip but I'm getting a bit nervy now.
      Has anyone been able to find out what the actual family tie is with Nimers Sheikh and sheikh Monsieur of man city?

Are they brothers, cousins? Not really blood related?

They both have the Al Nahyan name, so in the EFLs eyes would that be enough to say they are related?

If so Nimer is going to need a pretty solid water tight independent source for his cash or Im starting to think they could pull the plug on this?