Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Options
    When your "biggest piece of business" is not losing your best player, you know you are aiming too low, as a club.
    Really?

Let's see in the summer. 

Lot of good that will do if next summer we are back in League One.
  • Options
    We have essentially just signed. $3m + striker in Lyle. Quality retention. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Love Southall and all his media stuff. Take it all with a pinch of salt, bit of fun. At least we knew they were on it, and I am pleased with the result. I never expected a big signing. I think we had one on the hook. Next time, maybe? That’s football.

The alternative is silence. Bugger that.

That said, not losing Taylor is massive. Signing up Bows for three years is massive. Getting rid of Roland is massive. Getting our Charlton back is massive.

Shrugged off Fulham trying to nick our youngsters. Long may that attitude continue. Not getting mugged off by other clubs. Long may that continue.
    No, silence is not the alternative. Silence would be an alternative. Another alternative would have been not to big-up possible super-duper signings and just say that we're looking to bring in a few solid players on loan.

That would have been more honest.
  • Options
    He didn't say marquee signings this window and I wasn't expecting any.
    I would of liked some balance. A mixture of loans and permanents across a variety of positions.

Instead we got 4 midfielders. All on loan! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Still cant believe we spent no money either and it was just loans 
    Loans aren't free.

Not free but not necessarily much more expensive then the three who have left in our breakeven budget, now swollen by a Fosu sell-on. Clearly we have signed who we could get rather than our preferred targets, which doesn’t mean they won’t do a job. 
    Makes you wonder when Davis came in after Fosu signed for Brentford. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loans aren't free.

Not free but not necessarily much more expensive then the three who have left in our breakeven budget, now swollen by a Fosu sell-on. Clearly we have signed who we could get rather than our preferred targets, which doesn’t mean they won’t do a job. 
    You say clearly, Green was done very early so we clearly wanted him.

Bow has always spoken of how much he rates McGeady, so we clearly wanted him.

Sure Smith and Davis were unexpected but I believe we wanted those first two for sure.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced that any of us know what any of threse 4 signings are capable of with the possible exception of McGeady, even less when they play together and in a team with the likes of Taylor and Williams, Field and Cullen.

I look forward to some good partnerships forming there.

We aren't going to get promoted this season but now I really don't think we are going to be relegated and we could be in for some entertaining football.  

And that will do me.
    David Davis has played going on for 200 Championship games for Birmingham since 2014 and has captained the side at times. I think we know a bit about him
    Fair enough.  I'm not convinced that many of us know...then read the rest.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loans aren't free.

Makes you wonder when Davis came in after Fosu signed for Brentford. 
    But did he? Or was he just announced late?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    When your "biggest piece of business" is not losing your best player, you know you are aiming too low, as a club.
    Really? That's your take. 

Pessimism on here lately really grinds my gears. We've got in 4 decent midfield players. We retained all our players worth selling. Gallagher was never ours.
    How is not losing your best player aiming low? Surely its the complete opposite and shows ambition. There's so many variables when you buy players in, that keeping hold of your best players and youth who are already proven to do well at your club is so so valuable. 
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    While we haven't ended up with a big name striker like we all thought, I offer this

I would rather have a chairman who trys to get the fans excited, strengthens the squad, keeps our key assets, and has tried to build a good relationship with the fans, over a distant owner who hates the fans, doesnt try to sign anything, can and WILL sell our major assets and leave us bare bones.

Is that seriously our only option? Honestly, I would rather have a Chairman who does what he SAYS he will do and otherwise keeps his mouth shut if he can't deliver.
    But he did deliver. He signed three players in a day. You might have decided they're not what you wanted or not good enough - though I doubt you've ever seen Smith play, or maybe even Davis - but we did a lot of business today. Given that our squad is talented but crippled, getting bodies in, which is exactly what Bowyer insisted was key, was necessary and we've pulled it off. It's been a good day for making sure that Bowyer can field a team that's not made up of youth players who aren't ready, and you know that Davis and McGeady are players he wanted. The walk has been walked, because the promise was that business would be done to strengthen the squad.
    If we were just after "bodies" then surely we could have brought in players earlier in the window? Waiting until the 31st January to sign 3 loan signings isn't great when Bowyer was crying out for players weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really?

Let's see in the summer. 

Lot of good that will do if next summer we are back in League One.
    Why would we be back in L1?  We've got 4 talented midfielders in and have Taylor Field, Williams, Cullen back in and can look forward to Bonne back soon.  I don't think we are going to go down now.  
  • Options
    Rossman92 said:
    While we haven't ended up with a big name striker like we all thought, I offer this

I would rather have a chairman who trys to get the fans excited, strengthens the squad, keeps our key assets, and has tried to build a good relationship with the fans, over a distant owner who hates the fans, doesnt try to sign anything, can and WILL sell our major assets and leave us bare bones.

Is that seriously our only option? Honestly, I would rather have a Chairman who does what he SAYS he will do and otherwise keeps his mouth shut if he can't deliver.
    But he did deliver. He signed three players in a day. You might have decided they're not what you wanted or not good enough - though I doubt you've ever seen Smith play, or maybe even Davis - but we did a lot of business today. Given that our squad is talented but crippled, getting bodies in, which is exactly what Bowyer insisted was key, was necessary and we've pulled it off. It's been a good day for making sure that Bowyer can field a team that's not made up of youth players who aren't ready, and you know that Davis and McGeady are players he wanted. The walk has been walked, because the promise was that business would be done to strengthen the squad.
    If we were just after "bodies" then surely we could have brought in players earlier in the window? Waiting until the 31st January to sign 3 loan signings isn't great when Bowyer was crying out for players weeks ago.
    Maybe people didn't want to release them until they were sure they had cover themselves.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Can I just say I'm looking forward to my loan transfer to the "Chill out" team from the " Centre ground"  there was no way I would sign until I knew Lyle was here to the Summer.
    Bizarrely some of the "Chill out" guys have joined the "bed wetters".
    I don't regret putting questions to Matt Southall and wondering why they didn't react to the emergency quicker, but we move on and we need to unite tomorrow because we have one hell of a battle.

• Options
    If the incomings were McGeady, Davis, a recognizable striker and we kept Lyle, everybody would be buzzing right now.  No insider information but my guess is that the plan/wishlist was to get either Maddison or McGeady, Davis or equivalent and a striker.  We were probably close to signing our striker of choice which is why MS went on the tweet storm) but weren’t able to get it across the line which is not unusual in January when only a limited number of strikers are available and a lot of competition.  My guess is that Smith may have come available unexpectedly and Gallen and Lee said yes just for depth given our injury woes and it appears they rated him back in the summer.  

I am generally pleased - my only concern is we are putting a lot of faith in two strikers coming off injury to score because while the likes of Williams, McGeady and Cullen can certainly create opportunities, I dont see a lot of goals coming from the midfield.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Loans aren't free.

You say clearly, Green was done very early so we clearly wanted him.

Bow has always spoken of how much he rates McGeady, so we clearly wanted him.

Sure Smith and Davis were unexpected but I believe we wanted those first two for sure.
    Green, I’ll concede. The rest, I don’t think so. But let’s see how they get on. I don’t buy the “we were fine in August so we’d have been in the top half but for injuries” line because you can find plenty of other examples of promoted teams starting well and fading as opponents work them out. This season was always going to be a struggle because we are trying to operate as Burton Albion, which is hard to do in the Championship. Hopefully the quality of Bowyer and Taylor (and a few others) sees us through.