Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• Ross said:
    If we got Chirivella I would be buzzing. The lad is so composed on the ball and can pick a pass.
    Yep. Can do the Cullen role but can also do the Gallagher role too. Would be very happy.
    Pretty sure he can’t do the Cullen role, told he’s very lightweight.  Not my opinion just a few plastic scousers I know. 
  • The optimist in me says we will have a stronger squad by Friday night. The pessimist in me says we will likely sell Taylor without an adequate replacement.
  • Come 1st feb if we’ve got no one of relevance through the door, “well no one else signed anyone” won’t keep us up. 
  • edited January 2020
    JamesSeed said:
    Liverpool 

What is the going rate and how do you know we don’t pay it?

I said as the Window opened, and we replaced Leko with Green that we would learn as much about ESI's budget and Philosophy by who we don't sign. After 28 days, the silence is telling.
    The grains of United Arab Emirates sand are slipping through the egg timer 
    Sam, now that we're BFFs IRL I hope you'll forgive me for saying that the silence would only be telling if, by Friday night at 11pm, we still haven't signed anyone worth signing (not including Green here). I'm still hoping that the wheels are turning behind the scenes. If the signings are non existent or very disappointing, and we lose on Saturday, then it'll possibly be panic stations. But even then, so long as we can keep Taylor, Williams and Curran fit and healthy, I think we'll be fine.

February 1st is definitely the time to judge, and I have put that in many of my posts.
    Steve Gallen said to get 3 players in you make 10 offers, so I agree that a lot is going on below the surface( yes, just like an iceberg)

The great thing about our chance encounter on the train was we were on the same page straight away despite I only realized who you were, when you did that funny Dame Edna impression. I guess you realized who I was when you saw me standing on the box spouting fish puns.

Ps. I don't know who Curran is but if he is as good as Cullen, that will be brilliant !
  • edited January 2020
    1. It’s already been confirmed that this lot play their cards close to their chest;
    2. Surely LB wouldn’t have signed if he sensed inactivity or, for that matter bullshit on ESI’s part;
    3. Maybe we will have quite a few bodies back for Saturday.

Granted, we still need more bodies but I’m sure there’s nothing sinister behind it.

If nothing’s happened by 11:59 Friday, I take all of the above back.
  • Ross said:
    If we got Chirivella I would be buzzing. The lad is so composed on the ball and can pick a pass.
    Yep. Can do the Cullen role but can also do the Gallagher role too. Would be very happy.
    Pretty sure he can’t do the Cullen role, told he’s very lightweight.  Not my opinion just a few plastic scousers I know. 
    He may not have the physicality of Cullen (or Gallagher for that matter) but he does exactly what we missed when Cullen was out. Picks the ball up infront of the back 4 and moves it on, keeps it ticking over, recycles and carrys on. It means we keep much more of the ball and stops the defense being over run. 

He also has a good engine and brilliant range of passing which makes me think we can use him in the Gallagher role.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe we will sign 2-3 players before the deadline, but I don't understand why we are leaving it last minute as always. We have had 10 days off effectively between games, you would have thought it would be reasonable to get any new players before to train so they can be integrated with the team.

Now for example we could sign one player today, they have 3 days max training. Is it poor planning or are people being stubborn and its always a tricky window, I am an optimist but I would have thought we would have made a few signings earlier.

• JamesSeed said:
    Liverpool 

I said as the Window opened, and we replaced Leko with Green that we would learn as much about ESI's budget and Philosophy by who we don't sign. After 28 days, the silence is telling.
    Sam, now that we're BFFs IRL I hope you'll forgive me for saying that the silence would only be telling if, by Friday night at 11pm, we still haven't signed anyone worth signing (not including Green here). I'm still hoping that the wheels are turning behind the scenes. If the signings are non existent or very disappointing, and we lose on Saturday, then it'll possibly be panic stations. But even then, so long as we can keep Taylor, Williams and Curran fit and healthy, I think we'll be fine.

February 1st is definitely the time to judge, and I have put that in many of my posts.
    Steve Gallen said to get 3 players in you make 10 offers, so I agree that a lot is going on below the surface( yes, just like an iceberg)

The great thing about our chance encounter on the train was we were on the same page straight away despite I only realized who you were, when you did that funny Dame Edna impression. I guess you realized who I was when you saw me standing on the box spouting fish puns.

Ps. I don't know who Curran is but if he is as good as Cullen, that will be brilliant !
    Left arm seamer. Useful bat.
    I know Lee likes an all-rounder who can play in more than one position but...

Just an example, but if we went in for Paul Pogba, we would probably end up with his brother. 

• I've remained convinced that we'll get the reinforcement we need this month, but I must admit that I'm getting a bit twitchy.  4 days to go and there's not even many decent rumours. 

Hopefully the calm before the storm 
  • supaclive said:
    I hold out in hope that Bowyer ONLY signed his new deal as he knows what ESI have planned for the short, medium and long term of this club.....
    Yeah you could tell by the way he signed for Rolands Charlton he was really bothered about all that
    3 years is a bit different than 1 season though 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Liverpool 

lol I was probably thinking of Hugh Curran (Millwall) who my grandad once told me wasn't a very nice man.
  • Still mystified as to why the new owners bought us - we don't seem to be doing much to avert relegation.
    Seem being the key word. Simply because none of us are privy to any of the goings around transfers that any of Southall, Bowyer and Gallen are up to except one meeting Bowyer had with an unknown/assumed player. 
  • in Bowyer and Gallen we trust
    but do we trust Southall?
    This is what you said 3 days ago 

'I have been critical of ESi and I'm still concerned about the ownership of the various bits that makes up CAFC. However I do feel happier with the current situation having read the CAST report (thank you) and having been involved in employment negotiations for many years I understand that we need to give it the week to see which players come in/ go out.

So thank you MS for being as open as you can and good luck this week'
    Yeah but that was just for likes :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2020
    Still mystified as to why the new owners bought us - we don't seem to be doing much to avert relegation.
    This is a strange thing for an Atheist to say but, ESI saw what Lee Bowyer did with 5 loaves and two fishes, over a season and a half by getting Cafc into two Play-offs culminating with our promotion. ESI feel Bowyer can do more miracles but Unfortunately for Matt Southall and co playing youngsters that wouldn't have got in a League 1 side ( I don't mean Alfie) was one miracle too far. 
    Interesting few days coming up. 
  • I’m genuinely wondering whether the current thinking is that from the start of the season we have lost Gallagher, lost Leko(‘replaced’ with Green). But JFC,Field and Bonne are due back shortly. Hemed is now fit, Doughty has been a pleasant surprise and Matthews came to the club in September.
    We have pretty much the same squad that gave us that fantastic start so why the need to bring another three or four in( as fans we know impact of the injuries so are desperate for a bigger squad).
    They will only sign players that are going to make a significant difference to us but such players are overpriced or reluctant to leave a Championship or league one club where they start each week.
    Therefore a couple of loans is our focus. 
    Just seems they are getting reluctant to splash the cash and want to rebuild in the summer thinking this squad is mor than good enough to survive?
  • Someone on twitter has just pointed out that with Spurs having a bid accepted for Bergwijn (PSV) it could enable Parrott to go out on loan...
  • shine166 said:
    Liverpool purloined Joe Gomez off Charlton for 3.5 million. Out of gratitude we should be first on the list for Chirivella to the end of the season. The lad will be in the shop window and then he can move to a club who pay the going rate.

Gratitude? You seen how they are behaving over the Shrewsbury replay ? Got more chance of Gallagher coming back than that. 
    Quid pro quo and if not written down then a tacit agreement with the Victims.
  • edited January 2020
    If Maddison doesnt sign for anyone else the longer it goes on Friday then I see Gallen having the following conversation with him

SG: Want to sign on those terms we offered you?

MM will then either say yes because we're the best Championship option in his eyes (In which case we get the player) or he'll say no, give me the extra 1k I asked for

If its the latter then its all depends if Gallen is prepared to then pay it - If all other avenues have been exhausted then I reckon we'll pay it, all depends on who is prepared to blink first

Of course should we get him we'll never know if we did just offer more or whether Maddison came to his senses (doubt it'll stop people moaning that we could have just paid him what he wanted making him available for Fulham)

On the other hand he may well feel he wants to be in a position where the transfer fee becomes his signing on fee in the summer (for whoever he joins) - If thats the case then I dont think it matters what anyone offers him!!
  • Sounds to me like we are trying hard to sign players but getting nowhere. This could be due to:

a. Our lowly league position and no-one fancies the prospect of League 1
    b. Our loanees have a reputation for being driven too hard and getting knackered 
    c. Unacceptable financial demands are being made because of the new owners.
    d. Southall is conducting negotiations instead of Gallen
    e. None of the above.
  • Sounds to me like we are trying hard to sign players but getting nowhere. This could be due to:

a. Our lowly league position and no-one fancies the prospect of League 1
    b. Our loanees have a reputation for being driven too hard and getting knackered 
    c. Unacceptable financial demands are being made because of the new owners.
    d. Southall is conducting negotiations instead of Gallen
    e. None of the above.
    D