Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fulham v Charlton - Saturday 5th October 2019 - Post-Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    First time I’ve ever sat in the wrong end for a Charlton game, it’s absolute hell! But I’m so glad I went, what a performance that was! Incredibly hard not to swear at the linesman for the offside when surrounded by Fulham fans! 4 points from 9 out of those 3 games is some effort! 
    I struggled. Both times we scored I let out a yelp.
  • Options
    How is that something you can accuse people of? What is wrong with being happy FFS!
    A couple of years in the Prem has gone to their heads....as said above it's a compliment to their team...possibly the best in the league. 
    But also a compliment to us and what Bowyer has achieved that they don't see us as a former L1 club with a tiny budget, but rather as serious Championship rivals
  • Options
    Fulham's squad is probably valued at ten times ours, if not more, but for long stretches of that game we more than matched them.  Well done to those on the pitch and just as importantly, if not more so, those on the coaching/managing staff.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Croydon said:
    Fulham fans accusing us of 'mass celebrations' outside the ground after he game. Genuinely don't know of a duller fanbase.
    They need to take a look at the league table this morning -  4 points separate the top 10 teams. Every point gained is a victory. 
  • Options
    I don't even think it was mass celebrations. A few hundred addicks shouting 'red army' through the park is hardly acting as if we've won the league.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    ross1 said:
    Just watched the Southampton v Chelsea game, (no spoilers), but after our game yesterday, how boring was this compared to ours and how lack lustre were Southampton. If this is the Premier, give me championship every time (unless we get promotion, of course)  :)
    I thought the same about West ham - palace yesterday. Very dull.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Just watched the Southampton v Chelsea game, (no spoilers), but after our game yesterday, how boring was this compared to ours and how lack lustre were Southampton. If this is the Premier, give me championship every time (unless we get promotion, of course)  :)
    I thought the same West ham - palace yesterday. Very dull.
    Thought our game was 10 times better. Quicker, more skilful, more action and certainly more feisty.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The cardy is £640. How exclusive is @Henry Irving?

Pretty sure that's him modelling it back in 1977 as well.

• Options
    Hopefully Primark will bring out a copy.
  • Options
    First time I’ve ever sat in the wrong end for a Charlton game, it’s absolute hell! But I’m so glad I went, what a performance that was! Incredibly hard not to swear at the linesman for the offside when surrounded by Fulham fans! 4 points from 9 out of those 3 games is some effort! 
    😂, we were tight near the front of the Charlton ‘end’ and the lad was struggling to see even on his seat as there was a wall of tall Charlton in front of us. 

We wandered over to sit in the seating area. We lasted 3 minutes until we joined in the chants and were told where we were sitting was Fulham and please could we cross back over the stewards line and stand with Charlton. 

We didn’t realise the stand was split, wasn’t really concentrating (doh). 

Their support was absolutely shit. 
  • Options
    JFC was brought in to do a specific job at left wing back. He did well. Parker would not have seen that coming. 
    We didn't either!

• Options
    You are size 32 chest? Unless you're really Oztumer posting? :smile:

• Options
    Uboat said:
     <3 

Stick Curbs and Morts in that and basically that’s my wankbank totally full up 
    TMI lads, TMI!!!!
  • Options
    Had a beer with an old Fulham mate yesterday and he said we were jammy bastards... He agreed we were the better team first half, I stated that a draw then was a fair result... He wouldn't accept it, then I told him there second goal was offside and Mitrovic cost more than the whole of Charlton 11 players on the pitch..... Still wouldn't have it.

We are supposed to roll over against these teams.. 
  • Options
    Had a beer with an old Fulham mate yesterday and he said we were jammy bastards... He agreed we were the better team first half, I stated that a draw then was a fair result... He wouldn't accept it, then I told him there second goal was offside and Mitrovic cost more than the whole of Charlton 11 players on the pitch..... Still wouldn't have it.

Should've offered him a sugar lump with those grapes he was eating mate 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ross1 said:
    That goal is a perfect passage from five different individuals. Could have taken it straight off of the training ground.

-Bonne wins his header against their CB. He knows where the runner is and finds him.
    -Gallagher is positioned and ready for the flick on. He lays it off out wide and makes a run into the box.
    -The advancing wing back in JFC pings the ball on a sixpence to the back post.
    -Don’t miss the overlapping run from Williams that forces the Fulham full back to drop instead of pressuring the cross.
    -Solly knows where the ball is going and is already there. He intelligently cushions it into a dangerous area.
    - Gallagher has made the perfect run and smashes it first time leaving the keeper helpless.

ross1 said:
    That goal is a perfect passage from five different individuals. Could have taken it straight off of the training ground.

-Bonne wins his header against their CB. He knows where the runner is and finds him.
    -Gallagher is positioned and ready for the flick on. He lays it off out wide and makes a run into the box.
    -The advancing wing back in JFC pings the ball on a sixpence to the back post.
    -Don’t miss the overlapping run from Williams that forces the Fulham full back to drop instead of pressuring the cross.
    -Solly knows where the ball is going and is already there. He intelligently cushions it into a dangerous area.
    - Gallagher has made the perfect run and smashes it first time leaving the keeper helpless.

Trainers washed & drying out.....still red soles though. Calmed down (a bit) to post a few thoughts.....

Up there with Pompey away (1-0 win) for atmosphere & enjoyment. Agree with AFKA about the walk through the park too.

JFC played brilliantly seeing as he hasnt had much game time & was out of position. 

Phillips MOTM.....but only just pipping the while defence. 

Fulham the best team we've played this season.....their crossing was so dangerous & imo they will be in the top 2 at the end of the season. 

We wont get relegated but wont also be top 6 (sadly). Just enjoy the ride.
    Don't forget accurate kick out from Phillips to start it off.
  • Options

That is the way in football. They are miffed with us because we didn't roll over. And the truth is, if the officials did their job properly, we would have got three points. That is the truth whether they accept it or not.
  • Options
    First half we were excellent - Once again I am of the view that Bow tactically out-thought his opposite number. I am beginning to think that the 3 at the back approach is the best way to go with our squad - gets the most out of our strengths (midfield and cb). The decision to go with Bonne leading the line and Williams/Gallagher attacking from deeper was another master stroke (even if it was slightly forced by injuries and wanting the pace of Leko off the bench - something I was after in my match preview). Think Parker had been preparing for the split strikers we had been playing of late so the changes unsettled them. We gave Sess a torrid time down their right and often doubled up on him. Gallagher took his goal well and we deserved to lead at the break. 

Their Subs at half time - Arter for Harrison was like for like and then they took Sess their right back off for a striker. I couldnt really believe that Parker had done that the game was open and them going 3 at the back and 2 up top was a gamble. I would have expected him to have had faith in their higher quality to get back into it as the game developed. Compliment to us that for the 2nd time in 2 saturdays a top side has changed at half time to match us up. The change made the game every open and both sides had changes but it also made them very weak on the counter - Knockeart was basically taken out the game as he had to cover breaks down our left. 

I understood why JFC was moved into the middle of the park (and us going 4 at the back) to try and get a grip in midfield of a game that was getting fraught. But I think it backfired a little - previously we had been forcing them to play infront of our back 5 with Pratley and Cullen shielfing and Gallagher mopping up. When we changed shape it made us more vulnerable and Sarr was left exposed at LB. That resulted in their first goal. Unbelievable to get the response so quickly and get momentum back. Great cross by Daz and header by Macca.

The rest of the game was some pretty backs to the wall stuff some serious guts from all the boys but particularly Pearce, Lockyer and Pratley. Dillon with some incredible reaction saves.

Word for the fans - I was with Fulham mate sin the stand opposite the away fans (which by the way very much resembles an upmarket Gillingham away end - definite Scaffolding feel to it) and the Charlton fans were brilliant all game all I could here for most of the game.

Fulham fans very strange - lots of drinking and chatting on the concourse while the game was going on. So wanted to be in amongst the limbs when the 2nd goal went in - looked mad!No noise at all until their first goal and even then they didn't really get anything consistent going until the 85th min. Only football stadium you will see investments in FOREX advertised pitch side.
    There was one absolute creature a few rows in front of me who what trying to kick off at everything, he was making more noise than most but he did have more fingers than teeth.......

• Options
    Did he have teeth like the holy commandments? - 10 of them, all of them broke - a bit of Mike Harding there!
  • Options
    They didn't get anything consistently going at all.

Really quiet club.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Bonne does well to win the header. Link up between Bonne and Gallagher exceptional. Strength from Gallagher to hold off the man and to pick the pass to JFC, pinpoint cross from JFC, the run from Gallagher across the defence is brilliant and they dont know whether to told the line or track him, perfect cushioned header to lay it off from Solly and a very good finish - gave the keeper no chance even though it was near him.

Strangely I noticed on Saturday that whenever we are building an attack I subconsciously look for the run of Gallagher.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I struggled. Both times we scored I let out a yelp.
    Agreed was horrible!
  • Options

Fulham fans very strange - lots of drinking and chatting on the concourse while the game was going on. 

I've never understood this. The same thing applied to some Charlton fans, is the half time pint with your mates that important that you go to half time 5 or even 10  minutes early and come back several minutes late? A group around me missed our first goal for example, and I'm sure some people weren't back to see Fulham's equaliser
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Fulham fans very strange - lots of drinking and chatting on the concourse while the game was going on. 

I've never understood this. The same thing applied to some Charlton fans, is the half time pint with your mates that important that you go to half time 5 or even 10  minutes early and come back several minutes late? A group around me missed our first goal for example, and I'm sure some people weren't back to see Fulham's equaliser
    Saw this happen too.

I thought where have those two fellas gone at 35 mins played? 

Then a load more at 40.

Weird. Especially as service was quick too at half time. Out and back in 3/4 minutes.