Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Haka

123457»

Comments

• Options
    ITT: White people getting angry and dropping C bombs after being called out.
    You must be drunk, I didn't insult the haka at all, in fact I asked if it should be protected from cultural appropriation by the New Zealand national team.

You then started being racist and didn't like it when you were called a bad name.
    When did I say my comment was anything to do with you? 

Honest question - when was I being racist?
    Where does the tag "gammon" come from. Genuine question
    Dickens coined it in Nicholas Nickleby 

Here's the quote: 

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Language evolves, just because a word was once not offensive does not mean it stays that way forever.
    Okay, well, why does it offend you?
    Why are you getting offended on behalf of others?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    You've made a right haka of this thread @kentaddick
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    They've rightly banned the old English Forward's Haka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2jgrGtiYHE

absolutely brilliant .. hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    You must be drunk, I didn't insult the haka at all, in fact I asked if it should be protected from cultural appropriation by the New Zealand national team.

You then started being racist and didn't like it when you were called a bad name.

Here's the quote: 

The time had been, when this burst of enthusiasm would have been cheered to the very echo; but now, the deputation received it with chilling coldness. The general impression seemed to be, that as an explanation of Mr. Gregsbury’s political conduct, it did not enter quite enough into detail; and one gentleman in the rear did not scruple to remark aloud, that, for his purpose, it savoured rather too much of a 'gammon' tendency.

The meaning of that term—gammon,' said Mr. Gregsbury, 'is unknown to me. If it means that I grow a little too fervid, or perhaps even hyperbolical, in extolling my native land, I admit the full justice of the remark. I am proud of this free and happy country. My form dilates, my eye glistens, my breast heaves, my heart swells, my bosom burns, when I call to mind her greatness and her glory.

Language evolves, just because a word was once not offensive does not mean it stays that way forever.
    In fairness prejudice/racism/sexism/etc is only stopped when the debate goes on within the oppressive community and they start to own it. In that respect it is people who get offended on behalf of others who catalyse the debate.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Dazzler21 said:

Here's the quote: 

In fairness prejudice/racism/sexism/etc is only stopped when the debate goes on within the oppressive community and they start to own it. In that respect it is people who get offended on behalf of others who catalyse the debate.
    So in this case, not Kentaddick
  • Options
    I don't like gammon, it reminds me of feet. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!