Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Haka

Comments

• Options
    More interesting than rugger.

• Options
    Croydon said:
    I'd happily say it to a New Zealander 
    They'd just scream and wag their tongue at you anyway
    That would be highly offensive and I'd need to go to my safe place
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Great to see a group of middle aged white men chortling to themselves about a tradition of an indigenous people that this country colonised. Great look 👍🏼
    There's that saying again, "middle aged and white". It really is a crime. 
    It’s tedious isn’t it!
    Gammon is funny though, because it’s the lamest insult I think I’ve heard!
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    It's so hard to know what is and isn't cultural appropriation these days.
    I bloody hate that term.

Cultural appropriation is a compliment. Someone copies something from your culture because they enjoy it. That's a celebration of diversity ffs.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

Cultural appropriation is a compliment. Someone copies something from your culture because they enjoy it. That's a celebration of diversity ffs.
    Is this cos you've got dreadlocks again Daz? Nice try.
  • Options
    Great to see a group of middle aged white men chortling to themselves about a tradition of an indigenous people that this country colonised. Great look 👍🏼
    Don't be such a fanny ffs
    And now using women's genitals as an insult. I mean really guys, are we playing gammon bingo now?
    Its American for arse. Please don't assume, thanks.
    American isn't a language though. 😉
  • Options
    Some interesting views on here about the pros and cons of the Haka. Two points: Ireland kind of have an edge having the right to sing two national anthems prior to internationals - the Soldier's Song and the rousing Ireland's Call (enabling their Captain and others from NI to sing along).

Also err technically the Maori are not indigenous to New Zealand but rather Polynesia. They are thought to have started colonising mainly North Island of NZ later than the Normans invaded England.  
  • Options
    Names of people that are angry i assumed their gender:

Dave
    Stu
    So because my parents gave me a male name I can only identify as a male? Are you from the 1950s?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

Yeah, i mean why can't those indigenous people just let us take their shit? We like it, so why can't we have it?

I guess I should've guessed a thread about something in rugby was gonna be filled with gammon chortling about how funny ethnic minorities are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some interesting views on here about the pros and cons of the Haka. Two points: Ireland kind of have an edge having the right to sing two national anthems prior to internationals - the Soldier's Song and the rousing Ireland's Call (enabling their Captain and others from NI to sing along).

Also err technically the Maori are not indigenous to New Zealand but rather Polynesia. They are thought to have started colonising mainly North Island of NZ later than the Normans invaded England.  
    So the Haka is in fact a celebration of the Maori people colonial past. That's nothing to be proud of and has no place in 2019
  • Options

Dave
    Stu
    So because my parents gave me a male name I can only identify as a male? Are you from the 1950s?
    Take no notice of "them" Stulotte
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I am ambiguous about it, but if, as @Dugdaleclass says, the opposition are supposed to act in a certain way (presumably a at the request of the rugby authorities), and are looked down on if they don't, then it is bollocks. 

I don't see why any national side should be given special dispensation to do anything that others are not.

We could start a tradition where opposition teams have to change in the car park... :D
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

Yeah, i mean why can't those indigenous people just let us take their shit? We like it, so why can't we have it?

I guess I should've guessed a thread about something in rugby was gonna be filled with gammon chortling about how funny ethnic minorities are.
    It was fun while it lasted, but you're trying to hard now.
  • Options

So the Haka is in fact a celebration of the Maori people colonial past. That's nothing to be proud of and has no place in 2019
    Well, yeah, they literally colonised it. As in - no human beings were there before. 
  • Options

Dave
    Stu
    I had no idea you were made to register on this forum as your christian name? 
  • Options
    Can I have a ring of pineapple on me
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    If I was an opponent I would just turn my back on it. It's supposed to intimidatary......cant intimidate if you dont take any notice of it. 
    It's also a means of determining which of their opponents are brave, respectful warriors and which are trembling cowards.  Turning your back on it would help make that decision far easier. 
    So the Haka trumps all. It shows them to be brave warriors and anyone who don't watch and respect it, is not a warrior and is a trembling coward. What about if the person turning their back fronts em and kicks the fuck out of the team one by one, once they finished pulling faces?

Jesus wept, the original question was obviously asked purely in the rugby / sporting sense, does anyone find the Kiwis doing he Haka embarrassing etc. Now, cheers to the usual suspects its like it's an attack on Māori culture, which it clearly ain't.

No.  Turning your back on it is cowardly and disrespectful.  That's why it's rare to see rugby players do it, because, generally, they're neither.  

My answer to Golfie's question was also purely in the "rugby/sporting sense".  
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

And here we have a middle aged white man slowly realising he's actually been a bit racist. Now, instead of apologising he simply gets defensive, huffy and red faced. A state known today as "gammon".

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

You on a wind up? Where did I say about taking anything from anyone. I said cultural appropriation is a celebration of diversity. 

I sincerely hope you don't try to cook other nations recipes or go on holiday to experience the ways of their lives etc... Never learn another language.

By the way, I did not insult the indigenous peoples of New Zealand or anywhere else in my post. I did not make any jokes about ethnic minorities.

What the frick is gammon chortling?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    If I was an opponent I would just turn my back on it. It's supposed to intimidatary......cant intimidate if you dont take any notice of it. 
    It's also a means of determining which of their opponents are brave, respectful warriors and which are trembling cowards.  Turning your back on it would help make that decision far easier. 
    So the Haka trumps all. It shows them to be brave warriors and anyone who don't watch and respect it, is not a warrior and is a trembling coward. What about if the person turning their back fronts em and kicks the fuck out of the team one by one, once they finished pulling faces?

Jesus wept, the original question was obviously asked purely in the rugby / sporting sense, does anyone find the Kiwis doing he Haka embarrassing etc. Now, cheers to the usual suspects its like it's an attack on Māori culture, which it clearly ain't.

No.  Turning your back on it is cowardly and disrespectful.  That's why it's rare to see rugby players do it, because, generally, they're neither.  

My answer to Golfie's question was also purely in the "rugby/sporting sense".  
    Who says its disrespectful? The bloke spitting all over me whilst dancing with his tongue out?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

You on a wind up? Where did I say about taking anything from anyone. I said cultural appropriation is a celebration of diversity. 

I sincerely hope you don't try to cook other nations recipes or go on holiday to experience the ways of their lives etc... Never learn another language.

By the way, I did not insult the indigenous peoples of New Zealand or anywhere else in my post. I did not make any jokes about ethnic minorities.

What the frick is gammon chortling?

There's a giant difference between comparing the haka to the cha cha slide and cooking yourself a curry.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

And here we have a middle aged white man slowly realising he's actually been a bit racist. Now, instead of apologising he simply gets defensive, huffy and red faced. A state known today as "gammon".

hahaha put your rod away. 'middle aged'..cheeky little Kuntaddick.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Well, yeah, they literally colonised it. As in - no human beings were there before. 
    Not true. 

The Greeks colonised parts of Italy and visa versa. Can you provide evidence the Maori were the first people to live in New Zealand?

Their history only dates back 700 years... Who is to say that the last inhabitants weren't wiped from history?

colonize
    /ˈkɒlənʌɪz/
    verb
    past tense: colonised; past participle: colonised
    1. send settlers to (a place) and establish political control over it.
      Similar:
      settle (in)
      establish a colony in
      people
      populate
      pioneer
      open up
      found
      overrun
      occupy
      take over
      seize
      capture
      take possession of
      annex
      subjugate
      hegemonize
      Opposite:
      leave
      grant independence to
      • settle among and establish control over (the indigenous people of an area).
        "they sought to discredit the peoples they were colonizing"
      • appropriate (a place or domain) for one's own use.
        "a small town in a part of the Hudson Valley fast being colonized by weekenders"
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I bloody hate that term.

hahaha put your rod away. 'middle aged'..cheeky little Kuntaddick.
    I'm sorry but you're on a wind up.

No way anyone born after 1980 is called Gary.
  • Options

Dave
    Stu
    I'm proud of my name, why would I not use it?

• Options
    Getting back to it....yes, it makes me cringe too.
  • Options

Dave
    Stu
    I'm proud of my name, why would I not use it?

I have no idea? Maybe if you didn't identify with the gender its associated with? 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!