Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• Options
    Golf - it's only Pool games that cant be rescheduled.
  • Options
    Opinions among the pundits seem to be softening now the reality and magnitude of Hagibis is becoming apparent. It’s only a game of rugby at the end of the day......
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Chizz said:
    Lots of people are saying it's the "typhoon season in Japan".  Does anyone know when the typhoon season normally falls?  

The Pacific typhoon season for 2019 started on 31 December 2018 and is on-going.  So, does Japan have a recognised season each year?

Japan’s typhoon season ranges from May to October each year, peaking in August and September. There is no need to avoid travel during these months, however.

Why not? Each year, about 30 typhoons or tropical storms form over the Pacific ocean. Approximately seven to eight of these may affect the island of Okinawa, and only three reach Japan’s main islands.

https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/typhoons-japan

Mid October is quite late in the year for a typhoon  to hit that part of Asia, so the organisers are a bit unlucky in that respect
    The competition started in mid-September didn’t it though? Bit weird to host a tournament played during  peak typhoon season (according to the source above) and have no contingency plans for a typhoon. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:
    Lots of people are saying it's the "typhoon season in Japan".  Does anyone know when the typhoon season normally falls?  

The Pacific typhoon season for 2019 started on 31 December 2018 and is on-going.  So, does Japan have a recognised season each year?

Japan’s typhoon season ranges from May to October each year, peaking in August and September. There is no need to avoid travel during these months, however.

Why not? Each year, about 30 typhoons or tropical storms form over the Pacific ocean. Approximately seven to eight of these may affect the island of Okinawa, and only three reach Japan’s main islands.

Mid October is quite late in the year for a typhoon  to hit that part of Asia, so the organisers are a bit unlucky in that respect
    The competition started in mid-September didn’t it though? Bit weird to host a tournament played during  peak typhoon season (according to the source above) and have no contingency plans for a typhoon. 
    It’s ‘not’ peak period for severe typhoons......although yes, it’s the typhoon season, however the peak period is a month or two earlier than the start of the tournament.
    A typhoon of this magnitude in Japan is ‘not’ common at this time of year and has come as something of a surprise, at least that is my understanding.
    It’s akin to having a heavy snow fall in mid March in SE England, not impossible but very unlikely.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

There are contingency plans. 
    They are as follows:

Pool games That cannot be played are cancelled and called a 0-0 draw. 

Quarter finals and onwards the games that cannot be played are rescheduled. 

Why are people saying there are no contingency plans? They have been in black and white since way before the tournament started. 

• Options
    Pitch cutting up badly in the Ireland game.

• Options
    Chizz said:

Same as Quatar holding the football World Cup. It's all in the name of "diversification" and "togetherness".....sod that the hosting country actually have the climate or weather for it.  
    How is it anything like Qatar!? Japan are ranked 8th in the world with a proud rugby history and have played in every single World Cup tournament and they already had the infrastructure in place to host the tournament. Qatar are ranked 62nd and have never even qualified for a World Cup with conditions that means the whole tournament must be moved to winter as a result with a heavy suspicion of corruption looming over the awarding of it.

What a ridiculous comment.... 
    Qatar have zero footballing history. They have no national league. The only logic for choosing it as a venue is corruption, which has already been proven. I hope no-one goes. The real problem is FIFA and it needs complete change and reform which it continues to resist as the national tentacles try to hang on to the gravy train.
    What about this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Qatar_Stars_League

We've also (unfortunately) got links to one of their clubs: Al-Wakrah SC as thats the second club Reza went to play for after returning from the 2014 World Cup
    You have to remember that alcohol is prohibited in Qatar, so this is their 'pub league!' Fair play though, I didn't know they even had this.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Chizz said:

It’s ‘not’ peak period for severe typhoons......although yes, it’s the typhoon season, however the peak period is a month or two earlier than the start of the tournament.
    A typhoon of this magnitude in Japan is ‘not’ common at this time of year and has come as something of a surprise, at least that is my understanding.
    It’s akin to having a heavy snow fall in mid March in SE England, not impossible but very unlikely.
    Cool - I know absolutely nothing about weather conditions in Japan or how they vary from season to season, however the article provided said “Japan’s typhoon season ranges from May to October each year, peaking in August and September” and the World Cup started in September.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Same as Quatar holding the football World Cup. It's all in the name of "diversification" and "togetherness".....sod that the hosting country actually have the climate or weather for it.  
    How is it anything like Qatar!? Japan are ranked 8th in the world with a proud rugby history and have played in every single World Cup tournament and they already had the infrastructure in place to host the tournament. Qatar are ranked 62nd and have never even qualified for a World Cup with conditions that means the whole tournament must be moved to winter as a result with a heavy suspicion of corruption looming over the awarding of it.

What a ridiculous comment.... 
    Qatar have zero footballing history. They have no national league. The only logic for choosing it as a venue is corruption, which has already been proven. I hope no-one goes. The real problem is FIFA and it needs complete change and reform which it continues to resist as the national tentacles try to hang on to the gravy train.
    What about this one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%80%9320_Qatar_Stars_League

We've also (unfortunately) got links to one of their clubs: Al-Wakrah SC as thats the second club Reza went to play for after returning from the 2014 World Cup
    You have to remember that alcohol is prohibited in Qatar, so this is their 'pub league!' Fair play though, I didn't know they even had this.
    This isn't true.

You can buy and consume alcohol in Qatar, you just need a permit.

And alcohol will be on sale during the world cup there, they've already said this. They will sell it at designated fan zones, and possibly (although not confirmed) in hotel bars too.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    What is the likelihood of Scotland game going ahead tomorrow ? I assume by the comments on here that it is unlikely?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2019
    What is the likelihood of Scotland game going ahead tomorrow ? I assume by the comments on here that it is unlikely?
    Extremely unlikely. The stadium and surrounds were underwater before the main storm hit. During coverage of the Ireland game they showed the Japan team wading torso deep from the tunnel to get to the pitch.  
  • Options
    Extremely unlikely. The stadium and surrounds were underwater before the main storm hit. During coverage of the Ireland game they showed the Japan team wading torso deep from the tunnel to get to the pitch.  
    Wow, i think thats doubtful then !
    Such a shame.
  • Options
    Hold on!  What are the Sweaties like at swimming OR kite flying?
  • Options
    OK, well, that doesnt seem as bad as i first thought - coz thats in the recessed area of the entrance to the dressing room - easily resolved by pumping out for and hour or two , and the pitch looked in reasonable condition.
    Maybe?
  • Options
    OK, well, that doesnt seem as bad as i first thought - coz thats in the recessed area of the entrance to the dressing room - easily resolved by pumping out for and hour or two , and the pitch looked in reasonable condition.
    Maybe?
    Hopefully so. But that was taken before Big Boy Hagibis struck so goodness knows what it looks like now. 
  • Options
    the important qualifying game is tomorrow, Japan v Scotland in Yokohama .. 50/50 chance for this game .. IF it's cancelled, then Scotland plan to sue World Rugby as it means they will be eliminated without the chance to beat Japan, thereby qualifying IF they manage(d) to do so
  • Options
    you cant help but think that if the table were reversed between Japan and Scotland that this game would go ahead.
  • Options
    Think any legal objection won’t go very far by all accounts the rules regarding pool matches were quite clear regarding cancellations. What happens in cricket World Cup if games are rained off? I genuinely don’t know. Canada v Namibia has just been called off Scotland game very doubtful I assume.
  • Options
    Game will go ahead. I’m surprised but pleased.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where do you see that?
  • Options
    Just seen a tweet by world rugby that an inspection is currently taking place so no news yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Where do you see that?
    On Sky Sports News just after 1100 last night before I went to bed.  Strangely enough according to BBC sport item just now the decision wasn’t taken till 0300 so maybe the Sky thing was put up in haste and removed. But it was definitely there when I posted that the game was on. 
  • Options
    Can’t wait for that game now but son and I sitting here desperate for the US team to show up right now.
  • Options
    Rugby World Cup organisers gave the go-ahead for Japan's crunch match against Scotland on Sunday despite the fall-out from Typhoon Hagibis, which swept through Japan causing widespread flooding and leaving at least 11 people dead.

Officials gave the green light after inspecting the Yokohama pitch and stadium early on Sunday. Wales's game against Uruguay and USA v Tonga were also cleared, but Namibia against Canada in Kamaishi was called off.

"The decision was taken following a comprehensive assessment of the venue and associated infrastructure on Sunday morning in partnership with the host city," organisers said in a statement.

• Options
    I'm glad the game is going ahead. 
    Come on Japan.
  • Options
    I'm glad the game is going ahead. 
    Come on Japan.

Great to see it go ahead. Hope the ref has a great game and is completely fair to both sides so Scotland could have no complaints if they lose. Which I hope they do.
  • Options
    So glad this game is going ahead. Scotland have the chance to compete for the chance to go through. If the ref makes an incorrect or unfair decision against any team, I would expect them to comment. The one against Australia in the last world cup was probably the worst/most unfortunate (polite description).
  • Options
    I just hope Scotland are gonna wish they could of taken the scoreless draw. 

though i find Scotlands threats of legal action, a tad premature and quite a bit distasteful i do agree with how hopeless the organisers have handled this. I also blame the head of each countries Union for agreeing to them.

I cant believe they consulted their players or coaches on this matter. Least it sounds that way when you see the quotes from both Italians and Kiwis - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/10/italy-sergio-parisse-all-blacks-rugby-world-cup-cancellation
  • Options
    I just hope Scotland are gonna wish they could of taken the scoreless draw. 

though i find Scotlands threats of legal action, a tad premature and quite a bit distasteful i do agree with how hopeless the organisers have handled this. I also blame the head of each countries Union for agreeing to them.

I cant believe they consulted their players or coaches on this matter. Least it sounds that way when you see the quotes from both Italians and Kiwis - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/10/italy-sergio-parisse-all-blacks-rugby-world-cup-cancellation
    Not sure I understand how they could wish they'd taken the scoreless draw? Better to go out trying and losing than not having the opportunity