Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rugby World Cup 2019

Comments

• Options
    Mind you don’t all gloat too soon...........
  • Options
    スコットランドと性交
  • Options
    Two points each would be priceless...
  • Options
    ハンドバッグ
  • Options
    This is quite a game. 

I usually support the British teams come what may but I confess to being torn today. Japan have played some wonderful rugby and the Scots hate Britain anyway it would appear.
  • Options
    Never knew so many people knew Japanese on here....
  • Options
    Don’t forget they also have to win by 8 points to stop the bonus point for Japan 
  • Options
    Come on the Samoans!

• Options
    edited October 2019
    "Scotland sitting on a stool in the last chance saloon", says the commentator.

We've all been there before, when there's no bog roll. I've been known to use my socks, back in the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scotland, home before the post cards.
  • Options
    Well done Japan!

There was some lovely rugby today and they fully deserved it.
  • Options
    Well done Japan.
  • Options
    Good come back but not quite good enough. Never mind they can concentrate on the Calcutta Cup now 😉.
  • Options
    Great game......anyone who takes Japan lightly is in for a big surprise.
  • Options
    Very good game. in a way I'm glad scotland eventually got better in the second half, made it a real contest cos in the first half they looked a beaten side. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    And I've never forgiven Andy Murray for threatening to wear a Paraguayan football shirt in another World Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spot on...

Japan head coach Jamie Joseph: "You just look around and see how special a moment this is for the whole country. Before I talk about the footie, I really want to acknowledge the families that have lost people to the typhoon, that really motivated our team and we talked about it today. While we are celebrating, there will be a lot of people that aren’t.

"Tonight, my team went to another level. They gave everything they possibly could. That’s what it takes to win big Test matches.

"I think [the rugby world] have always respected Japanese rugby but the Japanese haven't always trusted themselves in tough moments. The last four Tests matches, they've got the belief to get across the line."

• Options
    Sayonara Scotland!
  • Options
    Superb effort from Japan to top the group. Sets up a nice rematch with South Africa who will want to avenge their shock defeat the last world cup.

Quarters:

England v Australia
    NZ v Ireland
    Wales v France
    Japan v SA
  • Options
    Australia v NZ
    Wales v SA
  • Options
    That Sir Ian McGeechan pissed me off. On the one hand he praised Japan but the prattled on to say World Rugby have to decide if they let Japan become a tier one team. No they don’t it’s not a club why is there tier one and tier 2 anyway it’s old fashioned and elitist. Certain teams are desperate to protect the old boys club as they are likely to lose the most if other teams are free to play whoever they like.

Tier one or not Japan deserve to be where they are, amazing performance.
  • Options
    Stonking game of rugby played at a high tempo by both sides.
  • Options
    Nug said:
    That Sir Ian McGeechan pissed me off. On the one hand he praised Japan but the prattled on to say World Rugby have to decide if they let Japan become a tier one team. No they don’t it’s not a club why is there tier one and tier 2 anyway it’s old fashioned and elitist. Certain teams are desperate to protect the old boys club as they are likely to lose the most if other teams are free to play whoever they like.

Yup
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nug said:

I agree with your point mate but I think you are doing Sir Iain a disservice. He was actually making the same point. The fact is that teams are not allowed to play who they like. The southern and Northern hemisphere leagues are of long and ancient standing. Rugby is a latecomer to many countries and some (Western Samoa, Romania etc) have fluttered briefly before sinking again. The whole dual purpose of the World Cup was to allow the two main leagues (4 then 5 Nations and the Australia/NZ/SA) to compete between each other and to allow developing nations a once in a while seat at the table. In the last 30 years only Italy have come close to making the step up and their contribution to the 5 nations other than a cracking weekend away has been fairly negligible. Given the distances involved, involving Japan or any other who look like making a fist of it, is tricky. It’s not an old boys club per se, it’s just difficult.  Now though, the world is a smaller place and anything should be. possible. Given that fact, and the fact that Japan look better than at least three of the established “old boys” and clearly have the infrastructure, it should mean that including them is looked at seriously. That’s what he meant. Be clear though that ncluding them won’t be at the expense of anyone else. We’re not talking relegation here. To that extent, you have a point about the establishment. 
  • Options
    Nug said:

I agree with your point mate but I think you are doing Sir Iain a disservice. He was actually making the same point. The fact is that teams are not allowed to play who they like. The southern and Northern hemisphere leagues are of long and ancient standing. Rugby is a latecomer to many countries and some (Western Samoa, Romania etc) have fluttered briefly before sinking again. The whole dual purpose of the World Cup was to allow the two main leagues (4 then 5 Nations and the Australia/NZ/SA) to compete between each other and to allow developing nations a once in a while seat at the table. In the last 30 years only Italy have come close to making the step up and their contribution to the 5 nations other than a cracking weekend away has been fairly negligible. Given the distances involved, involving Japan or any other who look like making a fist of it, is tricky. It’s not an old boys club per se, it’s just difficult.  Now though, the world is a smaller place and anything should be. possible. Given that fact, and the fact that Japan look better than at least three of the established “old boys” and clearly have the infrastructure, it should mean that including them is looked at seriously. That’s what he meant. Be clear though that ncluding them won’t be at the expense of anyone else. We’re not talking relegation here. To that extent, you have a point about the establishment. 
    Very good post Billy.
  • Options
    Nug said:

Italy managed a draw against the back to back World Champions to be fair. 

Stopped them scoring too.