Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AFC Wimbledon - Lead Us Home campaign

Comments

• Options
    The fact that Milton Keynes want nothing to do with the history of Wimbledon pretty much tells you that they are not the same "club".
    They only took over the league position that Wimbkedon once occupied. After that AFC Wimbledon resurrected their former club and history. 
    This is incorrect on a number of counts.  

Wimbledon FC relocated to Milton Keynes.  They didn't close down and a new club was formed at exactly the same time, but in a different place.  The club moved.  It kept its name, colours, badge, players, management, league position and domestic cup qualification.  Prior to Wimbledon FC moving to Milton Keynes, a group of Wimbledon supporters set up AFC Wimbledon.  So, from June 2002, AFC Wimbledon existed and played games in South London, while Wimbledon FC existed and played games in South London, and then moved to Milton Keynes.  

Two, different clubs.  One of which won the FA Cup, moved home and changed their name.  The other of which, didn't win the FA Cup.

AFC Wimbledon didn't win the FA Cup at Wembley in 1989, 1-0, against Liverpool, in front of 98,203 fans.  Because they didn't exist.  That match isn't part of their history. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    The fact that Milton Keynes want nothing to do with the history of Wimbledon pretty much tells you that they are not the same "club".
    They only took over the league position that Wimbkedon once occupied. After that AFC Wimbledon resurrected their former club and history. 

Wimbledon FC relocated to Milton Keynes.  They didn't close down and a new club was formed at exactly the same time, but in a different place.  The club moved.  It kept its name, colours, badge, players, management, league position and domestic cup qualification.  Prior to Wimbledon FC moving to Milton Keynes, a group of Wimbledon supporters set up AFC Wimbledon.  So, from June 2002, AFC Wimbledon existed and played games in South London, while Wimbledon FC existed and played games in South London, and then moved to Milton Keynes.  

Two, different clubs.  One of which won the FA Cup, moved home and changed their name.  The other of which, didn't win the FA Cup.

AFC Wimbledon didn't win the FA Cup at Wembley in 1989, 1-0, against Liverpool, in front of 98,203 fans.  Because they didn't exist.  That match isn't part of their history. 
    Thank you @chizz, my point exactly.

In addition, what happened after they moved to MK was down to pressure from the EFL. They knew they had fucked up & tried to right their wrongs, leaning on Winkleman to "hand back" the FA Cup etc.

This is my last word on the subject. MK Dons are Wimbledon. End of. You can not re-write history.
  • Options
    We all have our opinions & mine is that MK Dons are the Wimbledon that won the FA Cup in 1988. The fact that their name contains "Dons" gives it away. I don't give a flying fuck that the EFL made MK give AFC Wimbledon the cup..... that was purely politics & we all know the EFL are a total shambles.

As to what would I do in their situation. I expect I'd still follow my team, no matter where they were located. I went to Selhurst & Upton Park and am a ST holder now......so no boycotting at all in my 45 years supporting this club.

I certainly wouldn't follow a new club & try to get them "back home". 
    This is the first time I've actually heard anyone claim that MK Dons are the real Wimbledon FC. So next time we play Mk at home they should be welcomed as former FA Cup winners ? I think you are in a small minority 
    Well, if I am part of a small minority then the large majority are either deluded or part of the flat earth society.

Of course MK Dons are the "real" Wimbledon......history says so. They are no different to Arsenal (who changed part of their name & moved north).....only real difference is the distance they moved.

So, come on.......tell me how far you have to move before you are not the same team anymore...?  5 miles..?  10 ?  50 ?. I'd love to know as there are plenty of teams (Leicester, Derby, 'Boro, Millwall, West Ham, Swansea to name a few) who have moved grounds. Are they not worthy of the trophies they won previously...?

The spanners moved 300 yards, Wimbledon 70 miles.  Have a day off.
    My point exactly. How far is too far  ?  I noticed you didn't answer my question. 
  • Options
    actually the spanners would have moved a couple of miles from their home in East London to New Cross. Granted, the move to the breeze block stadium was only a few hundred yards.
  • Options
    We all have our opinions & mine is that MK Dons are the Wimbledon that won the FA Cup in 1988. The fact that their name contains "Dons" gives it away. I don't give a flying fuck that the EFL made MK give AFC Wimbledon the cup..... that was purely politics & we all know the EFL are a total shambles.

As to what would I do in their situation. I expect I'd still follow my team, no matter where they were located. I went to Selhurst & Upton Park and am a ST holder now......so no boycotting at all in my 45 years supporting this club.

This is the first time I've actually heard anyone claim that MK Dons are the real Wimbledon FC. So next time we play Mk at home they should be welcomed as former FA Cup winners ? I think you are in a small minority 
    Well, if I am part of a small minority then the large majority are either deluded or part of the flat earth society.

Of course MK Dons are the "real" Wimbledon......history says so. They are no different to Arsenal (who changed part of their name & moved north).....only real difference is the distance they moved.

So, come on.......tell me how far you have to move before you are not the same team anymore...?  5 miles..?  10 ?  50 ?. I'd love to know as there are plenty of teams (Leicester, Derby, 'Boro, Millwall, West Ham, Swansea to name a few) who have moved grounds. Are they not worthy of the trophies they won previously...?

My point exactly. How far is too far  ?  I noticed you didn't answer my question. 
    70 miles :-)
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Or simply to a different town.
  • Options

Good question. If Carlisle moved to Plymouth would it be the same club ? I think not.
  • Options

Charlton moving to Gilingham as an example.

Us moving to Sainsburys was no comparison to Milton Keynes.
  • Options

Good question. If Carlisle moved to Plymouth would it be the same club ? I think not.
    F***** you there @golfaddick
  • Options

Have you ever been to Plymouth?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

Yes. Plymouth twice and Carlisle 3 times.
  • Options

Course it would
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Course it would
    Good news. If you think the opposite I know I'm right :-)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

When you went to Plymouth, were you the same person?  
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Course it would
    Can you and little legs tell me what the recommended distance is for a football club to remain the same club.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:

Course it would
    Can you and little legs tell me what the recommended distance is for a football club to remain the same club.
    Mr Table Legs,

I suppose you'd travel 250 miles each way 25 times a season for a home game.

I think not.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

When you went to Plymouth, were you the same person?  
    Definitely not. I started fancying cream teas.
  • Options

MK Dons official site saying they were formed in 2004.

Was that about the time wimbledon fc were dissolved.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2019

MK DONS might have "started" in 2004, but before that they were Wimbledon FC. They didn't go through the League pyramid to get there did they. As Chizz said earlier, they took their position in the league at the time and had the same players & staff. 

If new owners took us over & in July next year moved us to Maidstone & renamed us The Maidstone Addicks (with EFL.consent) would we be a different team (Assuming we started the new 2020/21 league campaign in The Championship with all the same players & coaching staff)
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Was that about the time wimbledon fc were dissolved.
    Lovechild of PL54.
  • Options
    Wait, what..? 

• Options
    Chizz said:

Wimbledon didn’t win it 1989, agreed. They won it in 88
  • Options
    The Wimbledon FC of the 80's is defunct. The EFL may have sanctioned the move to MK but it was the end of WFC
  • Options
    The Wimbledon FC of the 80's is defunct. The EFL may have sanctioned the move to MK but it was the end of WFC
    @golfaddick would still recognise us as Charlton Athletic playing at Brunton Park.

Driving as well to every 'home' game.
  • Options
    @golfaddick would still recognise us as Charlton Athletic playing at Brunton Park.

If our mate Roland decided to relocate us to carlisle whether or not i choose to go its the same club
  • Options
    clb74 said:

If our mate Roland decided to relocate us to carlisle whether or not i choose to go its the same club
    You'll be on your own.......with @golfaddick
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Would you really sulk, bleat and form another new club instead of continuing to support Charlton?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    clb74 said:

Would you really sulk, bleat and form another new club instead of continuing to support Charlton?
    If Charlton did the same as Wimbledon to Milton Keynes?