Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2020

Comments

• Options
    alicwkd said:
    I would definitely recommend a heavy pressing tactic. It may just be my team or something about the players I have but I took over Plymouth and achieved back to back promotions in the first two seasons and am now 2nd in the championship with a really simple pressing tactic. 

Every time I have tried any more passive style of defending or god forbid counter attacking my defence has been laughably inept. Like I say may just be a good fit but reading around a bit it does seem as though pressing/ gegenpressing are a bit of a cheat code. 
    My Grimsby save is the only one where I've got a non-gegenpressing technique to work. I've gone regular tiki-taki (which I still find quietly funny for Grimsby) where I regroup instead of counter-press and play a slow tempo 4-5-1. I don't really know what I'm doing in FM terms but just been messing with it really.

I found with gegenpress I was having all the shots and possession high up the field but not creating many chances and was super-exposed to counter attacks... resulting in a lot of infuriating 70% possession, 25 shot to 4 losses and draws.
  • Options
    i wonder if as they factored in Brexit in the latest version if the next FM will have the coronavirus? guess they would especially if the season never finishes. 
  • Options
    When do we play in the FM cup thing on Twitter?
    To answer my own question, we beat Col U 3-2.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    btw this is my first ever manager game since LMA manager 2002 

thought i'll start the game unemployed and see what comes about. a little known team called Rende were desperate and chose me to steer them away from relegation in Serie C/C

after 3 reasonably successful seasons getting into the unbelievably long arse play offs i have finally managed to get them into Serie B. Rende are a village/pub side so this season in Serie B was always going to be difficult but i have kept the team mid table and i'm 11 games in. 
  • Options
    I bought my son FM20 a couple of weeks ago and watched and helped him play. I did some web surfing on bargain free transfers before he started and he has been doing great, albeit in the first season. Plays 5-3-2. 10 games to go and 8th, two points outside the play offs. Other than having to cope with his emotional outbursts after back to back defeats, it appears a good game. The key freebies in season one were Yaya Toure (who defies real in game), Augusto Fernandez, Douglas, Alexander Milosevic, Marcus Olsson and a forward called Schahin. We ditched Matt Smith, David Davis and McGeady to save wages and sold Solly and Pearce (no room from sentiment if you want to have a go at promotion). The best signing so far though has been a loan RWB/RB called Djevan Anderson - goal and assists galore for Lyle who has reached 20 for the season. 

The only sh*t aspect of the game is that you have to interact with the Board you are dealt with. 

If you have any tip loans or free agents that you know of for season 2, please let me know?
  • Options
    alicwkd said:
    I would definitely recommend a heavy pressing tactic. It may just be my team or something about the players I have but I took over Plymouth and achieved back to back promotions in the first two seasons and am now 2nd in the championship with a really simple pressing tactic. 

Every time I have tried any more passive style of defending or god forbid counter attacking my defence has been laughably inept. Like I say may just be a good fit but reading around a bit it does seem as though pressing/ gegenpressing are a bit of a cheat code. 
    Do you just set your players to press to the maximum, or in the opposition screen do you press each opponent?
    I just set the team to maximum press in the tactics screen. Very rarely use oppo instructions.  Occasionally use the 'show onto foot' instruction but that's it. 
  • Options
    March 2027. The world of football is a strange place.

How are Tottenham that high? Very odd.
  • Options
    March 2027. The world of football is a strange place.

How are Tottenham that high? Very odd.
    Charlton and Ipswich struggling hard in League 1 in season 4 of my game, Shef Wed also just come back up from League 1.

Charlton have been through so many managers and it's only 2021... they've sacked Bowyer, Powell (again), Bruce, Monk, Kirby(?) and are currently managerless in the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Other notables: Sunderland are still in league one in mine. Although top this season. But have lost in the playoff final twice more and the check a trade final twice. Palace and Millwall both in the Championship, Rotherham are in the playoff places at the moment!

Plymouth have also made it up to the championship. Bolton have never got out of league 2 after being relegated the first season. Bradford and Southend are in the national league, as are Swindon and Cambridge who are both in the relegation zone. Notts County have never got back into the football league.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not saying this game is too easy, but yeah this was nice
  • Options
    I'm in my 4th season managing Charlton in the Championship. Still managing with a measly budget set by Southall. Made the playoff final once. Not cheated by looking up secret players and tactics but occasionally have aborted and replayed games if my tenure was looking a bit rocky...

I've changed my tactics slightly, as relying on loan players too much meant short term success, but no chance to build, and as finances are rubbish, being able to buy young talent and sell it for a profit is something I need to do...

My squad still has many current players, Amos (reserve keeper), Purrington, Sarr, Lockyer, Matthews, Williams, JFC, Oztumer, Lapslie, Taylor, Bonne
  • Options
    I just typed all of that out on my phone.
  • Options
    I’m still only about 15 games in and 11th playing 4-2-3-1. I had a budget of £2m but sold Forster-caskey for £600k. Even league 2 players were rejecting me and my loans are taken up with crap that I don’t want in my squad ( mcceady, Davis, Man City guy). I managed to sign Hamilton from Mansfield and another winger from Ireland, he is my star man. Aneke out for 7 months so that part is realistic. I promoted Jason euell to first team coach and replaced him in the U-23’s with teddy Sherringham. I tried offering it to bowyer but he is still bitter that I replaced him as manager.

i want some loans to be recalled so I can get full backs in on loan. Matthews, solly and purringtin aren’t very good. Page is back playing for the u-23’s. weidu and Dougherty are getting good u-23 ratings and might be used later in the season once relegation is avoided.

i Managed to get Taylor and Williams on new long term contracts but mouthall is upset that I’ve used his Range Rover fund to do so. 

Cullern isn’t doing that well and I’m thinking of giving field a go. Is he poor for anyone else?
  • Options
    I’m still only about 15 games in and 11th playing 4-2-3-1. I had a budget of £2m but sold Forster-caskey for £600k. Even league 2 players were rejecting me and my loans are taken up with crap that I don’t want in my squad ( mcceady, Davis, Man City guy). I managed to sign Hamilton from Mansfield and another winger from Ireland, he is my star man. Aneke out for 7 months so that part is realistic. I promoted Jason euell to first team coach and replaced him in the U-23’s with teddy Sherringham. I tried offering it to bowyer but he is still bitter that I replaced him as manager.

i want some loans to be recalled so I can get full backs in on loan. Matthews, solly and purringtin aren’t very good. Page is back playing for the u-23’s. weidu and Dougherty are getting good u-23 ratings and might be used later in the season once relegation is avoided.

i Managed to get Taylor and Williams on new long term contracts but mouthall is upset that I’ve used his Range Rover fund to do so. 

Cullern isn’t doing that well and I’m thinking of giving field a go. Is he poor for anyone else?
    Whenever I’ve been Charlton, Field has always done better for me than Cullen. He’s alright, but Field seems to be more effective on the game is what I have found. 
  • Options
    Oh and my first season was brilliant!

Millwall, Wednesday, and Bristol City all got relegated. Derby and Barnsley survived on the final day and actually overtook Millwall and Wednesday. Bristol City were rock bottom and had sacked Lee Johnson way back in November, they never recovered. Charlton and Luton incredibly made the play-offs, Leeds and Fulham went up automatically.
  • Options
    The first time I played the game Taylor was on fire and as a result refused to sign a new contract. After I got sacked and restarted (after only getting offered the Crewe job!) Taylor was far less prolific, and signed a new deal! 

Near the end of my 4th season in the Championship, my concentration on bringing through cheap signings instead of concentrating on loan players is paying dividends as I'm building a decent squad of young players under contract. 

And I'm still reporting to Southall :D
  • Options

I sent McGeady back in January, his wages are massive for what he offers.
  • Options
    What tactics do people play with charlton? 

I tried to play a 5-3-2 WB but Purrington is woeful. I signed Connelly from Brighton on loan and he’s good but my midfield of Cullen Williams and JFC get overrun. Blackburn beat me 3-1 with 32 shots and stoke beat me 2-0. Tried switching  to a 4-2-3-1 against oxford in the cup with Green and Curtis Jones on the wing, but again got beat 2-1. Pretty much all my saves see Charlton relegated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    What tactics do people play with charlton? 

I tried to play a 5-3-2 WB but Purrington is woeful. I signed Connelly from Brighton on loan and he’s good but my midfield of Cullen Williams and JFC get overrun. Blackburn beat me 3-1 with 32 shots and stoke beat me 2-0. Tried switching  to a 4-2-3-1 against oxford in the cup with Green and Curtis Jones on the wing, but again got beat 2-1. Pretty much all my saves see Charlton relegated.
    I vary them, 5-3-2, 5-2-3 (2 wingers and a central striker) and 4-3-3 (2 wingers and a central striker) depending on the opponents

Maximum pressing in most games, getting stuck in against soft opponents. I rotate a lot to keep the energy levels up as the Championship is such a grind.
  • Options
    Have the bug for this game. Am now in March 2026 and am currently 5th in the Premier League two points behind Man City and Man Utd while by some miracle I am in the second leg of a Champions League Qtr final vs Arsenal 1-1 after the first leg. 

Got promoted via the play offs a couple of seasons ago and the club was sold to new owners who show a bit of love in each transfer window.

The keys to my success has been:

1) Doing lots of scouting on players whose contracts expire in the winter or summer windows. Do not fear signing players at 32-33 with high fitness/stamina level. Signing them for 1-2 seasons serve a purpose and you do not need to maintain loyalty when their job is done. It is a computer game, not reality...lol

2) Approach some bigger clubs for hot prospects whose contracts which expire at the end of the season with a more detailed loan bid, like whole season with an option to buy for a specified amount. As they are in their last season you can get bargains. In the Prem, I got Rodrygo from Madrid on that basis for a cut price £20m within a £40m budget. He will get up to £70m worth in due course. He is currently £30m.

3) Do not stick to one formation, this was my mistake in years one and most of the way through two. Build a squad that can play 442, 4231, 433, 532, 523, 541. Wingbacks work very well in game, particularly if you can find goal scoring ones. Schulz on left and Djavan Anderson do the trick for me on that front and add 6-8 goals between them per season. Varying between the Very Defensive to Very Attacking range in game does have some effect for me. 

4) Have at least one ball winning midfielder. I got Gueye doing this for the last two seasons before retirement to effect and have developed Cullen to play this role and well. I signed him permanently after his loan and he has been the most used player I have. Only Cullen, Doughty and Phillips remain in my squad from when I started. Lyle stayed and played until he retired season before last.

Overall, good game.
  • Options
    I managed to get promoted by flicking between a 4-3-1-2 and a 4-1-3-2 for home and away. Vertical tiki taka. In the Prem I changed to 4-2-3-1 gegenpress and finished 7th, currently in Europa League group stage. This season I am 4th and I’m in November. 
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    I managed to get promoted by flicking between a 4-3-1-2 and a 4-1-3-2 for home and away. Vertical tiki taka. In the Prem I changed to 4-2-3-1 gegenpress and finished 7th, currently in Europa League group stage. This season I am 4th and I’m in November. 
    Who did you sign first season mate?
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    Who did you sign first season mate?
    It did take me a few years to get out.

season 1 19/20
    in
    Nicolo Armini 1.3m
    Tommie Hoban (in Jan) free
    out
    Numerous kids loans
    Naby Sarr 725k (Jan)
    Hemed 625k (Jan)

season 2 (20/21)
    In
    Gallagher - Loan
    Dirk Proper - Free
    Martinelli - Loan
    Kane Vincent-Young 1.1m
    Ante Palaversa - Loan
    Ivan Ilic - Loan (Jan)
    Adam Idah (Loan
    Out
    Albie Morgan - 3.5m
    Chuks Aneke - 115k
    numerous kids loans

Season 3 (21/22)
    In
    Joseph Minala - Free
    Mavididi - Free
    Trevor Chalobah - Loan
    Gonzalo Maroni - Loan
    Grady Diangana - Loan (Jan) 
    Sam Surridge - Loan (Jan)
    Kenneth Taylor - 2.5m (Jan) 
    out
    Oliver Fleming - 1.6m
    Nicolo Armini - 16m
    numerous kids loans

season 4 (22/23)
    in
    Sepp van den Berg - Loan
    Seamus Coleman - Free
    Max Lowe - Free
    Musa Barrow - 1.1m
    Jacob Murphy - Free
    Riccardo Schiro - Loan
    Xavier Mbuyamba - 1.9m (Jan)
    Sep Van Den Berg - 375k (Jan)
    out
    Dirk Proper - 9.25m
    numerous youth loans

Season 5 (23/24)
    in
    Karlan Grant - 9m
    Grady Diangana - 8.5m
    Danny Gordon - 2.3m
    Ivan Oblyakov - 600k
    Hugo Lazaro - 7m
    Jonathan Leko - 10m
    Joe Willock - Free
    Dujon Sterling - Loan
    Oliver Batista Meier - Loan (Jan)
    Muhammad Ercan - Loan (Jan)
    Marc Tsojngui - Loan (Jan)

out
    Jake Forster-Caskey - 1.4m
    numerous youth loans

Season 6 (24/25) 
    in
    Betinho - 11.75m
    Ryan Sessegnon -Free
    Manuel Gasparini - 5.5m
    Eduardo Facundo - 850k
    Josha Vagnoman - 20m
    Aritz Garcia - 11m
    Dani Carvajal - Loan
    Fran Murillo - Free
    out
    Tommy Harrison - 100k
    Luke Quinn - 400k
    numerous youth loans

that doesn’t include some people that were released at the end of the season, just ins and outs.

was Promoted at end of season 4. Started this save before the Nimer Southall take over so started with Roland. Got taken over in Jan of 19/20 season, some local businessmen with zero money. Luckily got taken over again at start of season 4, not exactly minted but a bit more secure and sold Armini for a massive fee which gave me some budget to work with. 

Obviously now I am in the prem the finances are brilliant and I have untouchable status so whatever I ask for they give me in terms of infrastructure improvements. 

• Options
    edited May 2020
    This is the first time I've played Football Manager (excluding mobile version) so decided to start off with Dartford before I do one with Charlton. The target was to finish in the playoffs and I'm in 9th after 15 games, 4 points outside the top 7 so not going great.

One thing that keeps happening is that we keep getting off to really slow starts. I'm sure that in the last 5 league games we've fallen behind in the first 10 minutes. We seem to get dominated first 30, then get better as the game goes on but only come back to draw or lose by a goal due to the poor start.

Becoming really frustrating so if anyone has any tips they can pass on to make sure the team play 100% from the start I'd be grateful. Cheers.
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    This is the first time I've played Football Manager (excluding mobile version) so decided to start off with Dartford before I do one with Charlton. The target was to finish in the playoffs and I'm in 9th after 15 games, 4 points outside the top 7 so not going great.

One thing that keeps happening is that we keep getting off to really slow starts. I'm sure that in the last 5 league games we've fallen behind in the first 10 minutes. We seem to get dominated first 30, then get better as the game goes on but only come back to draw or lose by a goal due to the poor start.

Becoming really frustrating so if anyone has any tips they can pass on to make sure the team play 100% from the start I'd be grateful. Cheers.
    I can only think it will be the familiarity with the formation and the mentality you’ve set, ie cautious/balanced/positive etc. Plus do you take your team talks?
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:

I can only think it will be the familiarity with the formation and the mentality you’ve set, ie cautious/balanced/positive etc. Plus do you take your team talks?
    I take team talks, sometimes they encourage them and sometimes there's little/no reaction. Will bare the mentality/formation in mind and will try a few different combinations from the start (depending on who I'm playing).
  • Options
    I find that with the team talks, if there is no reaction I do a separate one for defenders, midfielders and forwards, usually all with the same comment. Usually “I have faith in your ability” or something similar and it mostly helps them react positively 
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:

Do you do the tactical briefing? I find it useful to judge whether the players agree with my tactics