Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football Manager 2020

Comments

• Options
    Dizzle said:
    I find that with the team talks, if there is no reaction I do a separate one for defenders, midfielders and forwards, usually all with the same comment. Usually “I have faith in your ability” or something similar and it mostly helps them react positively 
    never realised that team talks make a difference. i usually just send them out there. might praise or bollock them after the game depending on the performance. might start having a word with them before and during the game then. especially as i'm hanging in there just 5 points clear of relegation with Rende in Serie B.
  • Options
    What’s worked really well for me is I will do the tactical briefing and the team talk prior to kick off. As soon as the match kicks off, I always give the instructions/shout “Get Creative”. The amount of times I’ve taken an early lead and had a storming first half is unreal.

My problem though is that I am unable to sustain it for the full 90, and often have a quiet second half, even after trying a whole load of different things in the half time team talk. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    What’s worked really well for me is I will do the tactical briefing and the team talk prior to kick off. As soon as the match kicks off, I always give the instructions/shout “Get Creative”. The amount of times I’ve taken an early lead and had a storming first half is unreal.

My problem though is that I am unable to sustain it for the full 90, and often have a quiet second half, even after trying a whole load of different things in the half time team talk. 
    Are your team flagging in energy by the second half?

The easiest half time talks I find are when we are playing badly, when you can bollock them with the - I expect much better in the second half -  or playing really well but only 1 or 2 up - don't get complacent
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Sage said:

How do you use the tactical briefing? Pick the same options every time, or adjust them based on the opposition? Or something else? I've never really used it as it didn't feel like it made a difference.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

How do you use the tactical briefing? Pick the same options every time, or adjust them based on the opposition? Or something else? I've never really used it as it didn't feel like it made a difference.
    It's only recently that I've started taking this seriously, but before doing the briefing I look up the opposition scout reports (available when you click their name) and adjust my tactics and team line up accordingly before doing the briefing
    e.g. are they good crossers (wider defence) or go through the middle (narrow defence), increasing the tempo if they are unfit, getting stuck in if they aren't brave, pressing hard if they have poor control, floated crosses if they are bad in the air, higher line if they are slow but good at long shots etc
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    This is the first time I've played Football Manager (excluding mobile version) so decided to start off with Dartford before I do one with Charlton. The target was to finish in the playoffs and I'm in 9th after 15 games, 4 points outside the top 7 so not going great.

One thing that keeps happening is that we keep getting off to really slow starts. I'm sure that in the last 5 league games we've fallen behind in the first 10 minutes. We seem to get dominated first 30, then get better as the game goes on but only come back to draw or lose by a goal due to the poor start.

Becoming really frustrating so if anyone has any tips they can pass on to make sure the team play 100% from the start I'd be grateful. Cheers.
    Do you do the tactical briefing? I find it useful to judge whether the players agree with my tactics
    No I don't. I'll try that next time cheers. Can imagine that making a difference.
  • Options
    Sage said:

That's interesting, will definitely try that.
  • Options
    Sage said:

The easiest half time talks I find are when we are playing badly, when you can bollock them with the - I expect much better in the second half -  or playing really well but only 1 or 2 up - don't get complacent
    I always make changes to the players who are most tired in the second half, and always with a good bit of time remaining and I have also used the don’t get complacent a good few times. Thanks for the help, it’s definitely a challenging one, as for example in a run of 4 games, I was winning at half time in all of them by more than 1 goal, second half, all attacking threat in front of goal has gone, even with the instructions of attacking, it’s like they suddenly are scared to get into scoring positions. Maybe a complete change of approach for a second half is better, more direct or something.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

I echo @killerandflash as they explained it well. I try to mix it up depending on the opposition and for example will also put in stronger players who are better in the air when playing against a team who is aggressive. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

I always make changes to the players who are most tired in the second half, and always with a good bit of time remaining and I have also used the don’t get complacent a good few times. Thanks for the help, it’s definitely a challenging one, as for example in a run of 4 games, I was winning at half time in all of them by more than 1 goal, second half, all attacking threat in front of goal has gone, even with the instructions of attacking, it’s like they suddenly are scared to get into scoring positions. Maybe a complete change of approach for a second half is better, more direct or something.
    The game is tougher than it looks and the programme counters instructions and direction, so you need to be active and alive to changes right up to the final whistle. I am now top of the Prem in the next season by 4 points having signed over £100m of talent on free transfers including Kubo, Ziyech, Ferland Mendy and an amazing Dutch keeper called De Vries. New Board denying takeover rumours for the last 6 weeks too. No Nixon in sight...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    Sage said:

The game is tougher than it looks and the programme counters instructions and direction, so you need to be active and alive to changes right up to the final whistle. I am now top of the Prem in the next season by 4 points having signed over £100m of talent on free transfers including Kubo, Ziyech, Ferland Mendy and an amazing Dutch keeper called De Vries. New Board denying takeover rumours for the last 6 weeks too. No Nixon in sight...
    Any tips on how you pick up top free transfers?
  • Options
    I usually check the expiring in 6 months filter and you can approach to sign if abroad. And occasionally the expiring in 12 and although you can’t approach them you can declare interest in transfer and unsettle them 👀. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Dizzle said:
    I usually check the expiring in 6 months filter and you can approach to sign if abroad. And occasionally the expiring in 12 and although you can’t approach them you can declare interest in transfer and unsettle them 👀. Sometimes.
    Thank you, will give it a go. I‘m alright on FM, but there are certainly some things I’ve missed.
  • Options
    Spot on Dizzle. The higher up the league you finish the better chance you have of signing top talent too. Use the scout player search facility for players expiring 3, 6 and 12 months away and I go top division by top division too - Serie A always produces some corkers. 
  • Options
    Spot on Dizzle. The higher up the league you finish the better chance you have of signing top talent too. Use the scout player search facility for players expiring 3, 6 and 12 months away and I go top division by top division too - Serie A always produces some corkers. 
    Get onto that tomorrow, thanks a lot to you’s
  • Options
    Not a single player agreed with my attacking formation away at millwall. I used the get creative shout early on and scored within 10 mins - cj Hamilton. Just before half time, green and purrington did a Wembley 2019 impression, 2-0. Millwall went 4-2-4 and I hit them on the break, green 3-0. Rowett mouthed off in the press after the game saying I got lucky. 7th after 15 games
  • Options
    Not a single player agreed with my attacking formation away at millwall. I used the get creative shout early on and scored within 10 mins - cj Hamilton. Just before half time, green and purrington did a Wembley 2019 impression, 2-0. Millwall went 4-2-4 and I hit them on the break, green 3-0. Rowett mouthed off in the press after the game saying I got lucky. 7th after 15 games
    Get creative about definitely is a good one at the beginning of matches. Great result. 
  • Options
    Annoyingly when you suggest a tactic which the players don't like, but it subsequently proves to be exactly the right thing to do, there's no post match team talk option - 

"I told you it was the right thing to do, shut up and listen to me in future, I am the special one and you are my bitches"
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sage said:

I don't think tactical briefings make much difference to be honest. I have my assistant automatically set up to take them because a halfway decent assistant will always say the same sort of stuff you would anyway, there aren't that many options.
    I think the big difference-maker in the last couple of editions of FM has been squad depth. It's obviously harder when you're a small club, but the thing that really makes the difference for me is being able to rotate my team around fully when I need to. Your players' fitness gets absolutely trashed in any Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday routine so often I'll make 10 changes if I'm up against a poor PL side ahead of a Champions League match. Keeping players near 100% condition going into matches against teams around your level can make such a huge difference in results if their players are 80-89% condition. I've never had an issue with teams figuring out my way of playing because in the end having a deep squad overpowers your opposition over a season.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Get creative about definitely is a good one at the beginning of matches. Great result. 
    What other shouts are good. I tell my team to concentrate or demand more if I’m getting beat, encourage a lot or push forward or tighten up in the last 20 minutes depending if I’m winning or not
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I use ‘get creative’ a lot - sometimes up to three or four times a match. You just have to remember to switch it up with other shouts. I like to use ‘demand more’ regularly too, especially if there’s only a goal in it each way. 

I like to use praise if I’m a couple of goals up early.

I’ve never got much out of using shouts like ‘concentrate’ or ‘push forward’. They’ve usually done more harm than good.

I’ve found it’s much more effective to change your formation/tactic/team focus, from very defensive to very attacking depending on whether you’re holding on to a lead or chasing an equaliser. Setting the tempo is also really critical late in games.
  • Options
    A bit of a slog, but by 2026/2027 Charlton with the League, Champions League and FA Cup.
    Kubo is my most expensive player, who I got on a free. Whoop 🙌🏻 
  • Options
    Looking at that squad, did you struggle with having enough home grown players? Who was your HGC player?
  • Options
    No, I have built up the U23 squad and you are only seeing the filtered senior squad. 👍🏻
  • Options
    ReeCAFC15 said:
    This is the first time I've played Football Manager (excluding mobile version) so decided to start off with Dartford before I do one with Charlton. The target was to finish in the playoffs and I'm in 9th after 15 games, 4 points outside the top 7 so not going great.

One thing that keeps happening is that we keep getting off to really slow starts. I'm sure that in the last 5 league games we've fallen behind in the first 10 minutes. We seem to get dominated first 30, then get better as the game goes on but only come back to draw or lose by a goal due to the poor start.

Becoming really frustrating so if anyone has any tips they can pass on to make sure the team play 100% from the start I'd be grateful. Cheers.
    Ended up finishing 6th but losing the playoff quarter final. Think the biggest mistake I made throughout the season was rotating the lineup too much. Players eventually started to develop good partnerships with each other towards the end of the season and results started improving. Thinking about it I hardly ever started consecutive games with the same lineup as we had quite a big squad. Also started giving more in game commands which 90% of the time had a positive impact even if it was just one of praise, get creative or demand more.

5 games in to my second season now and sitting 2nd with 4 wins and a draw. Although 3 of those wins came in stoppage time so we're riding our luck a bit...
  • Options
    Soon to be finishing off my second season in this one particular save. I really like this one because Millwall are struggling bad in League One and Palace have just been deducted 12 points for going into administration, meaning they’ve slipped into the bottom 3 in the Championship after relegation last season :smiley:

If I remember, I might play tomorrow and put a couple of pictures up on here for you all to enjoy.
  • Options
    The weird thing is that just when I actually have a decent team and tactics (currently top 2 in my 5th season of Charlton in the Championship) I've rather lost my motivation to play

I think it's because now I have a serious chance of promotion, it's no longer so much fun anymore!
  • Options
    I have not played so much over the last 3 weeks, but with 8 games to go the season following 27/28 I am 3 points ahead of Liverpool at the top of the Prem (we are 8-11 points ahead of 3rd) am in the Qtrs of Champions League, just won the Carabao and in the Qtrs of the FA Cup. 

I am finding the key to this game being not chasing all of the big known names. Scout for gems, ideally young ones with 4-4.5* potential, play them amongst more experienced players and they do get better. A home grown centre half called Hillen is now worth £60m with potential still, based on one loan season out and then me using him for about 20% of games in one season, 30-40% following season and now around 50-60%.

It is a pretty realistic game in that respect, unlike FIFA with special cards for not so special players.
  • Options
    Hit a bit of a brick wall in FM so thought I'd see if any of the great minds of CL can help me...

My Grimsby team finally hit the big time and booked our place in the Champions League with a last-gasp top 4 finish in 2024/25, and the squad is now loaded with a mixture of established and regen talent... but the start to the next season has been a disaster as I spend some serious dough in the hope of a title challenge! 6 games in, W1 D3 L2 with 2 draws against the newly promoted sides and having not played any of the big guns yet... but what's troubling me is that in every game as far as I can tell I'm hammering each of these sides in every stat... but the lack of goals has been too consistent to be bad luck, something has to be broken in my tactic.

I'm playing a fairly classic pressing 4-2-3-1... I built it from vertical tiki-taka so it's high pressing/counter but low tempo with the ball and shorter passing. My advanced striker goal tally has always been particularly poor, 14 league goals for my main man in my recent 4th placed season but the two inside forwards tend to hit 10 or so to help him out. AMC has always been unproductive stats-wise but popping up with the odd screamer.

Now... this season the domination of possession and shots has got even higher - we're talking 65+% possession even against decent sides and 25-30 shots to 5-10 but the important clear cut chance stat is usually very low despite having a tonne of highlights. E.g. I had 0 clear cuts in my 0-1 loss to Wolves from my 31 shots and 17 on target... they scored from their 1 clear cut chance and 4 shots/1 on target... and that's actually becoming fairly typical. Beforehand I never seemed to have any trouble beating the minnows but would get torn apart away at City/Liverpool/United etc.

I've noticed a couple of unambitious flat 4-5-1s from the teams I'm playing against so are sides now playing against me differently, sitting back and letting me pepper the goal with crap shots? I've always had 'work ball into the box' on for what it's worth so can't stop them from shooting from range too much more.

Aaaanyway... I need to change things up and I'm lost for ideas, can't see anything in the stats that suggests we shouldn't be creating chances, but frankly we're not and I'm making my £49m regen striker (Adama Toure) who's scored 3 in 24 league games look like a total fraud... even though he's one of the best in the league on paper. Any ideas? I'll give anything a try at this stage! Happy to provide tactic/stat/player/match screenshots if interested or it'd help?

Meanwhile my rival managing Cambridge has resorted to an annoying downloaded 4-2-4 tactic (cheating IMHO) that shouldn't work but it does, has scored 25 in 6 games and is top of the league... so I 100% see this as a fight of good vs evil.
  • Options
    Have you tried using mixed passing and a higher tempo? You’re probably finding a lack of space in behind teams now that you’re the favourites going in to games. By playing short passing and a low tempo you’re giving them plenty of team to get back in to position.

I find using the attacking training session seems to help, as does the “get creative” shout.