Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• Options
    Jason Euell on a bad day was a decent player, playing at the highest level.

I agree with all that but he also had an awful first touch. Hence the old jokes about Euell's second touch tending to be a tackle. 
  • Options

I agree with all that but he also had an awful first touch. Hence the old jokes about Euell's second touch tending to be a tackle. 
    Second touch for a while used to end up in the back of the net
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Rothko said:

Back in the day there was a bloke on netaddicks (user name charltonfan I think) who slaughtered Euell on a regular basis despite the fact he was our top scorer for 3 consecutive seasons I think it was in the Prem.

Some of our fans have weird views in my opinion.

Maybe it's a case of a fan not being impressed with a new player the first couple of times they see him - and that colours their view of him forever, prejudiced to every slight error but blind to his attributes and actual match performance.

You see it all the time on the Players Marks thread lol

• Options
    Reminds me of Emile Hesky.
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    se9addick said:
    Didn’t realise Aneke has the same agent as Lyle Taylor. 
    Interesting. I thought big Lyle, was his own agent, man, charity, Monserrat ambassador and Wanker.
    That's better.
  • Options
    Wash your mouth out 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I glanced down my screen quickly and momentarily read that as Elvis Presley.

I mean, Chuks?!!! WTF!  :D
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Wash your mouth out 
    Well, he's the right build and Emile was a powerhouse and on his day could be good, admittedly not often from what I can remember!
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Wash your mouth out 
    Well, he's the right build and Emile was a powerhouse and on his day could be good, admittedly not often from what I can remember!
    Not to mention playing for England and in the EPL - He was not a bad player at all
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    It's plain to see that Chuks has made a qualitative leap in his level of performance.
    Full marks to him and/or the the coaching staff for making that happen.
    If he can maintain consistency and score regularly he will be mustard. (Edit: And stay fit!)
    I feel a hero worship coming on  :)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Rothko said:

Back in the day there was a bloke on netaddicks (user name charltonfan I think) who slaughtered Euell on a regular basis despite the fact he was our top scorer for 3 consecutive seasons I think it was in the Prem.

Some of our fans have weird views in my opinion.
    Aneke will win me over completely if he stays fit for any length of time; he’s clearly got some
    ability.

Euell wasn’t one for the purists but he scored a lot of goals.  In my view, better from midfield; touch was poor but he had a decent engine.  Great man too; he’s  been super loyal through hard times.  

• Options
    Euell was fantastic when he played in a midfield 3 with Parker and I think Jensen. Phenomenal engine and a better tackler and ball carrier than he was given credit for. The only player we've had since with comparable a skill set was Joe Aribo.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shine166 said:
    Wash your mouth out 
    I wish we had a striker, ever, that was not good very often but still scored over 100 premier league goals and had over 60 England caps........ 
    Eggxactly my point @Cafc43v3r
  • Options
    I had given up hope of Aneke staying fit and didn’t expect him to offer much more than occasionally a decent performance off the bench.

The last few games have given me hope that he can be an important player for us this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never really been a fan of his, but I have definitely started to warm to him of late.
  • Options
    Geezer has all the tools. I know we are yet to consistently see it at Charlton, but if you look at the YouTube clips of his time at Crewe and MK Dons, he scores all types of goals, he's not rapid but he's got a bit of pace, he can go past players, he's strong as ox, tall and imposing, holds it up, lays it off well, and can improvise on the ball. He really should be playing at a higher level, but for whatever reason his career hasn't taken of like it should. If we can get him a) fit and b) confident then we'll have areal player on our hands, but they are not inconsequential 'ifs'.

Also, if we're doing player comparisons, I'd say he reminds of a plus size Morts. Different position and physique but he's got that same languid relaxed style that masks a surprising amount of skill and speed and he's just on a different level when he playing well.
  • Options
    Now I know why people take creotine!
  • Options
    Geezer has all the tools. I know we are yet to consistently see it at Charlton, but if you look at the YouTube clips of his time at Crewe and MK Dons, he scores all types of goals, he's not rapid but he's got a bit of pace, he can go past players, he's strong as ox, tall and imposing, holds it up, lays it off well, and can improvise on the ball. He really should be playing at a higher level, but for whatever reason his career hasn't taken of like it should. If we can get him a) fit and b) confident then we'll have areal player on our hands, but they are not inconsequential 'ifs'.

Also, if we're doing player comparisons, I'd say he reminds of a plus size Morts. Different position and physique but he's got that same languid relaxed style that masks a surprising amount of skill and speed and he's just on a different level when he playing well.
    You were doing so well until you committed the blasphemy of comparing him with the sublime Morts.

I like Chuks and I think/hope he can do really well for us and become a bit of a legend in his own right.  But he's no Morts. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020

You were doing so well until you committed the blasphemy of comparing him with the sublime Morts.

I like Chuks and I think/hope he can do really well for us and become a bit of a legend in his own right.  But he's no Morts. 
    Not as good no, but Morts had that same lazy, relaxed style. He looked slower and less skillful than he was then he’d just drift past players seemingly by magic. No flashy tricks or step overs, just quick feet that meant he always seemed to be able to nip the ball away before the defender got their toe on it. Chuks does similar. 
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-manager-lee-bowyer-makes-striker-admission-as-he-discusses-goal-targets-for-his-frontmen

There we go then, Bowyer saw Chuks as a 10 but will now be using him as a 9. So he’ll be an out and out striker and not dropping deep or playing at the tip of the diamond.

“Chuks has always been a 10 and wants to score in and around the box along with linking it up. But he’s not a 10 no more – he is going to be a nine.“
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-manager-lee-bowyer-makes-striker-admission-as-he-discusses-goal-targets-for-his-frontmen

There we go then, Bowyer saw Chuks as a 10 but will now be using him as a 9. So he’ll be an out and out striker and not dropping deep or playing at the tip of the diamond.

“Chuks has always been a 10 and wants to score in and around the box along with linking it up. But he’s not a 10 no more – he is going to be a nine.“
    I still think he plays more like a 10 though, someone surging into the box, rather than the target man already there
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Good comments from Bows. As discussed above, Chuks is built for the number 9 role really, especially one up top as he has the attributes to keep a couple of centre backs busy on his own, as long as the work rate and mentality are right from him.

The excellent thing about his goal was that he started the move as well. Many players we have had down the years, and probably Chuks himself at times, would've brought that ball down, laid it off, and then stood back and watched the rest of the move happen ahead of them. What Chuks did that is so encouraging, and why he was rewarded with a goal, is continue his run forwards so he was in the box, relatively unmarked, at just the right time. All our forwards and midfielders need to do more of this. Instead of making a contribution and then thinking "well that's my bit done" they need to think "that was great, but now where do I need to be to get that ball back and make another contribution?".
  • Options
    It's going to be a good season to be our 9. Chuks can make 20 easily if he gets fitter
  • Options
    Aneke is the number 9 by default because of other strikers leaving; and Ronnie Swartz not arriving.
    Always felt that should be his position.
    Perm any Two from Aneke, Bogle, Washington and the striker that they are working on from abroad.
    Smyth can cover the wide positions with Bogle who will play as a wide man or central depending on the fitness of Chuks.