Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bolton, Ebbsfleet now Bury (Clubs in trouble thread)

Comments

• The EFL don't matters. On Friday Bury agreed a sale price with prospective owners and yet without even got to DD stage the EFL want them to have completed the takeover by 5pm tonight? That would have to be the quickest takeover in history. I know it's a novel idea but rather than sitting on their arses and do nothing, why don't they set up a takeover and acquisitions team that can get involved from the start. 
  • As I understand it, there can be no further delays.

Goodbye Bury.
  • You know Roly is just waiting to come out now and have his say about the EFL. 
  • Sage said:
    Bury are gone, such a shame and horrible to see a club go the way it’s gone. They’ve got no chance with how the game has gone and how ridiculously rich United and City are, right on their doorstep.

The irony is Sky are reporting this as you would expect, but they’re one of the main reasons why these things are going to keep happening. Until clubs are run properly, until the game has a fairer distribution of the money pumped into, until people start listening and helping the smaller clubs, we are all in danger of this terrible fate.

So much about the game which I love, whic4h makes it beautiful. But there’s so much which is ugly and I hate. 

Cant blame Sky. Its the Premier League who have the control & not distributing the monies proportionally or equitably. 
  • edited August 2019
    SKY are the ones that created the problem with the unfair distribution of money. Premier League get most and unless you are Leeds (where you are on TB every week thus getting tv money every week) the rest don't get hardly any.  We have a situation where we have a lot of Championship clubs earn't a lot in the Premier League, overspend in the Championship. If they go up then they can pay the fine quite easily and if they don't they get stuffed are in debt. EFL do fuck all. They are not fit to wear the shirt the EFL.  They couldn't run a bath and got no balls.  Oh but they are happy to pass this Bury owner as fit and proper without doing any tests on him. They madly think that a deal can be done from Friday until Monday without DD. (Even Roland without DD did the deal in more time). They ignore fans like us who try to bring their to the attention to owners that are not running their clubs properly and then get surprised and issue demands. Bury and Bolton have been in trouble for ages. What have the EFL done?  They should be there to represent and protect all of their football clubs, not go out on jollys to FA Cup finals, EFL final play off dates, ask fellow colleagues to contribute towards a watch for a leaving person. 
  • Sage said:
    Bury are gone, such a shame and horrible to see a club go the way it’s gone. They’ve got no chance with how the game has gone and how ridiculously rich United and City are, right on their doorstep.

The irony is Sky are reporting this as you would expect, but they’re one of the main reasons why these things are going to keep happening. Until clubs are run properly, until the game has a fairer distribution of the money pumped into, until people start listening and helping the smaller clubs, we are all in danger of this terrible fate.

So much about the game which I love, whic4h makes it beautiful. But there’s so much which is ugly and I hate. 

Cant blame Sky. Its the Premier League who have the control & not distributing the monies proportionally or equitably. 
    How can Sky not take a big share of the blame? They’re the one’s who have put all this money in. Why didn’t they do the same for the EFL clubs? It’s them who have given the platform for this to happen.

They seem to love what is happening at the moment because they’re able to do big features on it, put a countdown clock on as mentioned as if it’s a game, originally put Bury v Bolton on Sky Sports next month because they could make a big thing of their situations. The whole thing is a joke and it’s rotten.

Too many big companies and authorities are useless and have gone a long way to ruining our game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bolton have just issued a statement.

"Discussions are ongoing with all parties and a further statement will be issued later this evening". 

That would mean EFL have extended their deadline.

• It's not just the PL though. The likes of Salford are distorting the lower leagues and National Leagues as well.
  • edited August 2019
    I don't fancy either clubs chances.
    Bury with a disgrace of an owner in Steve Dale and Bolton with a disgrace of an owner in Ken Anderson.
  • edited August 2019
    During their 12 years in the Prem, Bolton racked up cumulative losses of £106m.

it makes me laugh when they are described as the club that used to be held up as the example of midtable stability - it’s because they were living beyond their means, pure and simple.  

Even after their former owner wrote off their above debts they still couldn’t get on an even keel.  None of this is the fault of Sky, the EFL or the Premier League.
  • During their 13 years in the Prem, Bolton racked up cumulative losses of £106m.

it makes me laugh when they are described as the club that used to be held up as the example of midtable stability - it’s because they were living beyond their means, pure and simple.  

Even after their former owner wrote off their above debts they still couldn’t get on an even keel.  None of this is the fault of Sky, the EFL or the Premier League.
    It was £160M wasn't it ?
    I agree that it is mainly the owners faults, because other clubs like Walsall manage to break even.
    No one forced those clubs to spend silly money.

But I do feel Sky, the EFL and the Premier League have contributed.
  • edited August 2019
    During their 13 years in the Prem, Bolton racked up cumulative losses of £106m.

It was £160M wasn't it ?
    I agree that it is mainly the owners faults, because other clubs like Walsall manage to break even.
    No one forced those clubs to spend silly money.

But I do feel Sky, the EFL and the Premier League have contributed.
    £106m was the cumulative losses over 12 seasons 2001-12 - the total debt may have been more if it includes debt/losses pre promotion and post relegation.
  • SKY and the Premier League have created the desperation for teams to reach the top flight at all costs

Look at Huddersfield for example or Norwich of late, both examples of clubs that are currently being ran properly

They leapt for the platform that is the top flight, havent been able to cling on at times but got the TV money, got the parachute money and should be set for a while

Everyone else is just as guilty of doing the same

I wasnt quite 10 when the Premier League was introduced but dont remember Football much before then

Was there such desperation to reach the First Division in the 70s / 80s from clubs?
  • SKY and the Premier League have created the desperation for teams to reach the top flight at all costs

Look at Huddersfield for example or Norwich of late, both examples of clubs that are currently being ran properly

They leapt for the platform that is the top flight, havent been able to cling on at times but got the TV money, got the parachute money and should be set for a while

I wasnt quite 10 when the Premier League was introduced but dont remember Football much before then

Was there such desperation to reach the First Division in the 70s / 80s from clubs?
    No, because there was little to no TV money, nor positional place money.
    Also, some time previously home gate money was also shared between the two clubs playing.

Man U then went from winning no titles for 20/30 years (whatever), to being "the" club to beat.

Not really, as back then the financial difference between the first and second divisions wasn't that large. Bigger gates of course, but the TV money was insignificant. It was the creation of the PL which revolutionised football, but for a few years beforehand the big clubs had been scheming to find a way of breaking away
  • edited August 2019
    Havent watched sky sports news today, but they have apparently had a countdown clock for Bury and Boltons survival like its transfer deadline day, this is the future of 2 clubs that are over 100 years old and peoples livelyhoods not fucking something for your entertainment, sky should be disgusted with themselves for this
    Whilst I agree with your sentiment, everyone thought this morning that it was a near certainty for both clubs to be saved.

I can therefore understand their willingness to gamify the outcome.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be good if all 70 other clubs could come together to hold some sort of match day protest against the EFL.

If even one of these two clubs goes to the wall, then the EFL need to be on the receiving end of absolute hell for not protecting them.

Also, some time previously home gate money was also shared between the two clubs playing.

Man U then went from winning no titles for 20/30 years (whatever), to being "the" club to beat.
    SKY and the Premier League have created the desperation for teams to reach the top flight at all costs

Not really, as back then the financial difference between the first and second divisions wasn't that large. Bigger gates of course, but the TV money was insignificant. It was the creation of the PL which revolutionised football, but for a few years beforehand the big clubs had been scheming to find a way of breaking away
    Says it all then for those who claim SKY cant really be to blame..
  • It’s not the EFL’s fault that clubs run themselves to structurally lose money.  They have tried to inject a modicum of sense through FFP.

It’s also unrealistic to expect the EFL to have the ability (let alone the right) to tell the difference between an owner who is genuinely wealthy and well-meaning and one who isn’t.
  • It’s not the EFL’s fault that clubs run themselves to structurally lose money.  They have tried to inject a modicum of sense through FFP.

It’s also unrealistic to expect the EFL to have the ability (let alone the right) to tell the difference between an owner who is genuinely wealthy and well-meaning and one who isn’t.
    Have they really ran FFP effectively though?

There haven't been harsh enough penalties when its been ignored!!

SKY and the Premier League have created the desperation for teams to reach the top flight at all costs

I wouldn't say it's Sky's fault though, as ultimately they give the money to the PL and it's the PL which decides what to do with the money, and that is controlled by its members

It's not as if Bolton are innocent victims in this either (not talking about their fans of course) as they happily gorged at the high table themselves for several years

And a lot of EFL (and NL) clubs are run in a crazy way, paying wages and transfer fees that they can't afford. 
  • The bury fella in charge with the beard what’s his background in all this 

I keep seeing him front it out on all forms of media saying this is not his doing and that he has set out what he agreed to do and get a CVA and managing the debt 

Bolton could never sustain the spending under gartside was a crazy house that has taken a while to collapse 

• As we saw with Portsmouth, who were bought by someone who didn't exist, once a club is in trouble all the spivs smell blood and look for quick money.

We had Jimenez, Cash and Slater, Bury have Dale and Bolton have Anderson.  All thought they could make money out of football and sod the risks.

None of which excuses Duchatelet BTW.

The EFL turned a blind eye again and again in order to avoid cancelled games or teams not finishing a season.  But they just kicked the can down the road.

And once one club goes other creditors will take fright and we could see Macclesfield, Oldham and who knows who else.
    Jimenez and Co bought the club for £1, sold it for £18 million, borrowed and never repaid some of the running cost money (proven in court).  Who troused the £18 large? 

Sky aren't to blame for the EFL letting Dale take over without them doing a proper check on him and making him show proof of funds.

Smaller clubs than Bury manage to survive perfectly well. This disaster is all on Dale and the EFL, not Sky.
  • The bury fella in charge with the beard what’s his background in all this 

I keep seeing him front it out on all forms of media saying this is not his doing and that he has set out what he agreed to do and get a CVA and managing the debt 

Bolton could never sustain the spending under gartside was a crazy house that has taken a while to collapse 

He paid £1 and now wants £850K.
    Enough said.