Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed. Pg 296 - Start of Deadline Day)

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Lots of decent free agents still about if we somehow get the takeover done in time - Mo Diame, Joe Ledley, Danny Simpson, Albert Adomah, Bakary Sako, Leroy Fer, Ashley Williams, James Wilson would all do a job in the championship

Genuinely think all those players would want at least 4 times what we can offer.
    Not sure it would be good for team spirit if after the takeover we recruited someone and paid them 4 times what everyone else in the side was getting. It's a tricky balance to keep
  • Options
    Lots of decent free agents still about if we somehow get the takeover done in time - Mo Diame, Joe Ledley, Danny Simpson, Albert Adomah, Bakary Sako, Leroy Fer, Ashley Williams, James Wilson would all do a job in the championship

Genuinely think all those players would want at least 4 times what we can offer.
    Not sure it would be good for team spirit if after the takeover we recruited someone and paid them 4 times what everyone else in the side was getting. It's a tricky balance to keep

We won't do that.

And who's to say all of those players listed above, will get offered 4 times the money anywhere else? If any of those are still out of work come deadline day, then they might just take whatever is on offer.  

• Options

do you know what looking at them names i actually prefer the route we are going at present, young hungry players. 
    Was about to post the exact same thing. Players like Leroy Fer would not add anything & would be like Haslebaink all over again. 
    Rubbish, Fer is 29 and still a decent player. Agreed some of them are on the decline and hungry young players would be my preference but Fer is only comparable to JFH on nationality. 
  • Options

do you know what looking at them names i actually prefer the route we are going at present, young hungry players. 
    100% agree, mix that with a couple of loans and maybe 1 or 2 Pratley-esque players who can add that experience would be happy. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I fancy that we’re after both as Williams fills the much needed CAM role and Oztumer can play CAM and CF and will complete our forward purchases for the season.
    I think we’d still be after a proper replacement for Grant. From what Bowyer’s said Bonne’s not here to be first choice, and Aneke/Oztumer aren’t that type of player.
    Nketiah is lined up as the pacey replacement for Grant. Unlikely he'll be available until Aug though.. Arsenal will want to take a look at him in preseason first.
    Yeah they're in the United States until the 23rd July for that International Champions Cup so be surprised if both him and Bielik arent included in the squad that heads out there... they'll also potentially be involved in the Emirates Cup on 28th July too
    Wasn't Blelik tied up in the European Under 21 Competition under late June (June 22nd?).  I think he only had a week's break after the play off final before joining up with Poland's squad. I suspect Arsenal would have given him some time off allowing him to report back late for pre-season training.
  • Options
    tgarrat1 said:

100% agree, mix that with a couple of loans and maybe 1 or 2 Pratley-esque players who can add that experience would be happy. 
    But wasn't the point that Pratley like experience is valuable, especially when you have a relatively young squad overall.

A cliché but a good blend of youth and experience.
  • Options
    Even Lyle Taylor was 28 when signed.

Not just youngsters then ..... but also some experienced players with ability and sufficient pace, but most importantly the right character.

This was a Lennie/Curbs/ Powell requirement with their signings.
    Bowyer's also.

• Options

Was about to post the exact same thing. Players like Leroy Fer would not add anything & would be like Haslebaink all over again. 
    Rubbish, Fer is 29 and still a decent player. Agreed some of them are on the decline and hungry young players would be my preference but Fer is only comparable to JFH on nationality. 
    Fer is only half the player Hasselbaink was......well at least in size anyway.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Even Lyle Taylor was 28 when signed.

Not just youngsters then ..... but also some experienced players with ability and sufficient pace, but most importantly the right character.

This was a Lennie/Curbs/ Powell requirement with their signings.
    Bowyer's also.

"Hungry and Angry" was the quote Curbs used to use when looking for players
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Out of them lot I would only want to take a chance on Fer and Adomah, the rest are either past their best, mercenary types or haven't done enough to warrant a big wage like Wilson.

I know I posted Ben Whiteman the other day but I wonder if Bowyer will enquire about Herbie Kane on loan. 7 goals and 9 assists last season, started in 42 of Doncaster's league games or something like that, got in the team of the season and let's be honest he ain't getting anywhere near that Liverpool team so a championship loan could be on the cards. Expect him to link up with McCann at Hull again but I would like him here.

I think the 5 loans need to be prioritised on a left back to cover page, a versatile defender, two midfielders in the Bielik and Cullen mold and then the dream loan Nketiah who can play the wings and as a forward 

If we were to snap up Amos, Oztumer, Williams and maybe Eaves that covers all our attacking and goalie problems. Reckon we will rely heavily on the loan window again for two good centre mids 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Posted it in the non Charlton related thread like a numpty, Fosu to Oxford done

• Options
    Paid a fee? Thought he was out of contract? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Paid a fee? Thought he was out of contract? 
    Because we offered a contract that means we have to get a fee for him.
  • Options
    Young enough that we get a development fee. That's why we offered him a contract, otherwise we'd have voided it
  • Options
    Hopefully we use that compensation fee to add to what we offered Jonny and the wages freed up by Fosu gets Oztumer in. That's how it should go and that will be cracking business 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

We won't do that.

And who's to say all of those players listed above, will get offered 4 times the money anywhere else? If any of those are still out of work come deadline day, then they might just take whatever is on offer.  

Don't like the sound of that. LB and JJ want players who will buy into what they are trying to achieve on the next leg of the 'journey'. The last thing they need are people who are just going to go through the motions and take the dosh.
  • Options
    To be fair if Lee was to sign one of those free transfers I think we could be safe in the knowledge that the player hasnt been signed on a whim but has been signed because we know there is still a job they can do

e.g. Darren Pratley...
  • Options
    Out of them lot I would only want to take a chance on Fer and Adomah, the rest are either past their best, mercenary types or haven't done enough to warrant a big wage like Wilson.

I know I posted Ben Whiteman the other day but I wonder if Bowyer will enquire about Herbie Kane on loan. 7 goals and 9 assists last season, started in 42 of Doncaster's league games or something like that, got in the team of the season and let's be honest he ain't getting anywhere near that Liverpool team so a championship loan could be on the cards. Expect him to link up with McCann at Hull again but I would like him here.

I think the 5 loans need to be prioritised on a left back to cover page, a versatile defender, two midfielders in the Bielik and Cullen mold and then the dream loan Nketiah who can play the wings and as a forward 

If we were to snap up Amos, Oztumer, Williams and maybe Eaves that covers all our attacking and goalie problems. Reckon we will rely heavily on the loan window again for two good centre mids 
    I believe we have already enquired about Kane. Would be a decent loanee but Hull might be a good shout. 

Someone text me about Garbutt over the weekend but I believe he got the ‘info’ from a random Facebook or twitter rumour. 
  • Options

I believe we have already enquired about Kane. Would be a decent loanee but Hull might be a good shout. 

Someone text me about Garbutt over the weekend but I believe he got the ‘info’ from a random Facebook or twitter rumour. 
    Knowing Roland we've enquired over the wrong Herbie!!

• Options
    edited July 2019
    So last week there was out rage we aren't offering enough in wages, today the trend is we shouldn't offer too much if there is a take over?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Garbutt looked to have a bright future at one point. Regular for England youth sides. Great left peg. Problem seems to be a lack of development and injuries. I think he'd be worth a punt, but it would be a concern given that Page's biggest problem has also been injury. If you can keep him fit, he's a good signing. 
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d15e5a45ea4b/bowyer-on-returning-for-pre-season-and-what-is-next-for-transfers

On whats next in the transfer window...

"To bring in people to create chances and to win us the ball back. We need midfielders and we need cover for the left back because we’re not going to make that mistake again with what we did last year so we need a bit of cover with Lewis Page, we need the competition on that side.

"We’re going to bring in another goalie to give Dillon Phillips competition, we need healthy competition all over the pitch so if we do lose someone through injury or suspension, then we have a good replacement for someone to step in. We need a bit of everything really, someone to provide goals and someone to defend and win the ball back in the middle of the park so we have good players already but we need to add for competition."

• Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d15e5a45ea4b/bowyer-on-returning-for-pre-season-and-what-is-next-for-transfers

On whats next in the transfer window...

"To bring in people to create chances and to win us the ball back. We need midfielders and we need cover for the left back because we’re not going to make that mistake again with what we did last year so we need a bit of cover with Lewis Page, we need the competition on that side.

"We’re going to bring in another goalie to give Dillon Phillips competition, we need healthy competition all over the pitch so if we do lose someone through injury or suspension, then we have a good replacement for someone to step in. We need a bit of everything really, someone to provide goals and someone to defend and win the ball back in the middle of the park so we have good players already but we need to add for competition."

don't worry, we've only been waiting 10 years for one of these. Even last season we didn't really have a "goal creator" in midfield. Most of our goals we either set up by Grant for Taylor to score or vice versa. Probably best one atm is Morgan.

• Options
    Trialist

Bit old but good experience

Lockyer about to clatter Bowyer in that picture!
  • Options
    Trialist

bloke at the back of that photo looks like he could FILL the left back slot 
    Was gonna say I thought Jacko had let himself go over summer at first glance!
  • Options
    Are you sure they were toothbrushes, not candles?
    Or fork 'andles ? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Trialist

bloke at the back of that photo looks like he could FILL the left back slot 
    I don’t think Bowyer would Grant him a contract. I Basey that on nothing more than his appearance, if given a chance maybe he’d be good enough.
    Unless a blizzard hits him?