Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    whereabouts @Penfolds Perm

been looking Belek/Lara Beach area for next year. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Babadag mountain region in between Hisaronu and Olu Deniz. Fly into Dalaman. Value for money and local hospitality you can't fault it.
  • Options
    Out in Turkey at the moment. All I can say is I like it hot but this has been bloody ridiculous. Locals still walking around in jeans though complaining about the heat. Have to prepare and build yourself up to get off the sunlounger to get to the bar which is a good fifteen yards away. Then have to persevere all the way back with an ice cold Efes in hand. It's not been easy I can tell you.
    Stiff upper lip should be maintained throughout. 
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    Out in Turkey at the moment. All I can say is I like it hot but this has been bloody ridiculous. Locals still walking around in jeans though complaining about the heat. Have to prepare and build yourself up to get off the sunlounger to get to the bar which is a good fifteen yards away. Then have to persevere all the way back with an ice cold Efes in hand. It's not been easy I can tell you.
    Stiff upper lip should be maintained throughout. 
    As ever on holiday, I'm in full Captain Mainwaring mode.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Just back from four days in Budapest.

Beautiful city, and very highly recommended.
    It's small enough to see a lot in a short time. The architecture and geography are fabulous. It reminds me a lot of Lyon, which I also love, except everything is much cheaper. Good local beer about HUF 600 a pint (roughly £1.70), and decent restaurant meals not at all expensive. They know how to make proper coffee too.

Damned hot last week, couldnt move about much, so lots of beer tried.

The only slight downside is the complexity of the language - I like to have a go at the language when abroad, but hungarian is a nightmare! Making yourself understood in english there is generally ok, but I always feel a bit disrespectful for not having a proper go. Luckily went with a mate and his hungarian fiancée, which made things easier and gave us some cultural insight.

Interesting country which seems on the cusp of the old and new, a very generational divide with young people having a more open european mentality and the older generation adjusting from many years of life under communism. Will definitely be going back.

Not for the first time, I resolve never to use Ryanair ever again ever. Four hours held on the stand at the airport in 36C heat. Happy to sell everyone a bottle of overpriced water, but no customer care at all, and wouldnt let us off the plane in the mean time.
    Ryan Air are shit....only use them for Dublin.
  • Options
    I am already planning our summer holiday of 2020. I know its early but because of the financial outlay its best to plan ahead.

For those of you with kids school age that need to go during the summer holidays, have you ever tried a euro camp? If so, are there any you recommend?

My kids will be 7 and 3, we love a pool and to visit a beach. Other than that we're flexible. Will drive there so France is the obvious choice i guess. Many thanks. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    I am already planning our summer holiday of 2020. I know its early but because of the financial outlay its best to plan ahead.

For those of you with kids school age that need to go during the summer holidays, have you ever tried a euro camp? If so, are there any you recommend?

My kids will be 7 and 3, we love a pool and to visit a beach. Other than that we're flexible. Will drive there so France is the obvious choice i guess. Many thanks. 
    Have never used Eurocamp for our summer holiday but have often used them for late May and October. Always been really good. 
    In recent years we have used Alfresco Holidays, as their prices always seem better.
    How far are you looking to go in France, as we've been to parks in Brittany, one North of Paris, the Cote d'Azur and down near Perpignan?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Belek is very nice 
    Lovely sandy beach and some stunning hotels and complexes if you like that sort of thing
    Bit to big and ott for me though
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Solidgone said:
    @IdleHans thanks for your comments as it’s on my list of city breaks. I’ve not looked into it yet but is there a city tour bus in operated in Budepest and if so would you recommend it?
    There are specific city bus tours, but we just used public transport so I cant really comment. Might be a very good way to start your break though.
    For public transport, buy 10 tickets for HUF 3000 (about £9) from the plentiful machines and just punch a ticket when you get on each tram/bus/tube.
    There's also a scenic chairlift, at about treetop height, that runs up to a lookout point and the Cogwheel, a rack railway, both (I think) included in the normal range of public transport services.

Things I'd recommend are the castle, the parliament building, and on a sunny day Margaret Island park is lovely - shady, peaceful, with fountains, a water park, statuary and bars aplenty. Good views of both banks of the river from there. Look out for ruin bars too - shabby but trendyish drinking places set up in industrial type buildings and crappy courtyards.
    I imagine you can do a shortish scenic boat trip up and down the Danube too. I was there four days, though one was too hot even to move so we found a pub garden and stayed put all day. There is plenty more for me to see next time I go back, I reckon you could fill a week comfortably.

St. Stephen's Basilica is worth a visit too.  
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ChiAddick said:

Have never used Eurocamp for our summer holiday but have often used them for late May and October. Always been really good. 
    In recent years we have used Alfresco Holidays, as their prices always seem better.
    How far are you looking to go in France, as we've been to parks in Brittany, one North of Paris, the Cote d'Azur and down near Perpignan?
    Thanks for your reply. I was looking in the Vendee region. Only because i've read about the fantastic beaches it has. I've not been to France much, so don't have any major preference on region. With the 2 kids, driving to the South West may be worth considering if breaking the journey up. I'll have a look at Alfresco Holidays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ChiAddick said:

Went on a few Eurocamp holidays when the boys were little. Always good value and the sites are well situated. One particular one in Brittany is worthy of mention - La Pointe St- Gilles just outside Benodet.
  • Options
    Last day of our Kephalonia trip. Fly home tomorrow then fly out again Sunday with mates to Jerez for 5 days golfing 
  • Options
    At eurocamp and similar is the entertainment multilingual?
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:

Thanks for your reply. I was looking in the Vendee region. Only because i've read about the fantastic beaches it has. I've not been to France much, so don't have any major preference on region. With the 2 kids, driving to the South West may be worth considering if breaking the journey up. I'll have a look at Alfresco Holidays.
    I've never stayed in any campsites in the Vendée but have had several holidays in the region and they have always been good.
    It's a lovely area and generally has a great climate.
    Wherever you end up I hope that you and your family have a great time. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    At eurocamp and similar is the entertainment multilingual?
    Depends on the park but mostly not. In France they tend to cater, not surprisingly, for the French and whichever country the park is most popular with, normally the Germans. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

We stayed at The Liberty Lara Beach a couple of years ago. Nice hotel but wasn't over impressed with Turkey if I'm honest.
  • Options
    Just back from 3 weeks in Majorca.  Stayed just outside Pollenca Old Town.  Lovely part of the world.
  • Options
    I’ve had a lovely family holiday to Sayalonga in Spain. The mountainous drive is a bit hairy but well worth it as it is a lovely quiet place.

In August, off to Ibiza for three nights with @Chris_from_Sidcup and a few others to celebrate our 40ths. Not looking forward to that much..... 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ChiAddick said:
    I wouldn’t say it’s early, people are definitely booking holidays further in advance these days. Just spent the afternoon arranging a clients trip to Borneo in October 2020. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    I wouldn’t say it’s early, people are definitely booking holidays further in advance these days. Just spent the afternoon arranging a clients trip to Borneo in October 2020. 
    Is he a wild man.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ChiAddick said:
    Is he a wild man.
    Am sure when I was a kid I saw a wrestler called The Wild Man of Borneo
  • Options
    HandG said:
    I’ve had a lovely family holiday to Sayalonga in Spain. The mountainous drive is a bit hairy but well worth it as it is a lovely quiet place.

In August, off to Ibiza for three nights with @Chris_from_Sidcup and a few others to celebrate our 40ths. Not looking forward to that much..... 
    @b@blackpool72 next big one is 80
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    HandG said:

@b@blackpool72 next big one is 80
    😜😜😜
  • Options
    Off to North Cornwall Saturday for 8 nights for our annual trip to the West country. 7 nights in a cottage and then 1 night in a Spa hotel for a bit of relaxation.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Not a Euro camp but we did the south of France last summer, carcasonne (sp) the site was a Yelloh Village site and their website is really good and they have sites all over France. We are already looking at a different one for next year. Brilliant sites with plenty to do for the kids and great swimming pools
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:

Fantastic beaches in the South West, particularly south of Arcachon....a word of warning....the sea can be really rough down there, great for surfers but not good for kids or those that aren't strong swimmers, I certainly found it a bit of a struggle on one particular occasion while swimming at Moliets....and I'm a fairly strong swimmer.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:

Fantastic beaches in the South West, particularly south of Arcachon....a word of warning....the sea can be really rough down there, great for surfers but not good for kids or those that aren't strong swimmers, I certainly found it a bit of a struggle on one particular occasion while swimming at Moliets....and I'm a fairly strong swimmer.
    The sea can be pretty rough further up the coast too. Years ago we went to a really good beach at La Terriere, near La Tranche-sur-Mer and the waves were as big as I've seen anywhere. It was great for surfers and older kids on body boards. I think that my son was about 6 or 7 and he loved it, but he really couldn't go too far from the shore even with me next to him.
    If @ChiAddick is considering going as far as Arcachon then I would suggest going to the Med instead. For the last 6 years we have taken our summer holiday at a place called Marseillan, which is on the coast between Montpellier and Beziers. The beaches are brilliant and the sea is very shallow and safe. 
    We always rent a house but there are loads of campsites situated right on the beach. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:

The sea can be pretty rough further up the coast too. Years ago we went to a really good beach at La Terriere, near La Tranche-sur-Mer and the waves were as big as I've seen anywhere. It was great for surfers and older kids on body boards. I think that my son was about 6 or 7 and he loved it, but he really couldn't go too far from the shore even with me next to him.
    If @ChiAddick is considering going as far as Arcachon then I would suggest going to the Med instead. For the last 6 years we have taken our summer holiday at a place called Marseillan, which is on the coast between Montpellier and Beziers. The beaches are brilliant and the sea is very shallow and safe. 
    We always rent a house but there are loads of campsites situated right on the beach. 
    And the sea should be calmer down there...that's pretty close to Cape d'Agde...where we camped in 2013.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Solidgone said:
    @IdleHans thanks for your comments as it’s on my list of city breaks. I’ve not looked into it yet but is there a city tour bus in operated in Budepest and if so would you recommend it?
    There are specific city bus tours, but we just used public transport so I cant really comment. Might be a very good way to start your break though.
    For public transport, buy 10 tickets for HUF 3000 (about £9) from the plentiful machines and just punch a ticket when you get on each tram/bus/tube.
    There's also a scenic chairlift, at about treetop height, that runs up to a lookout point and the Cogwheel, a rack railway, both (I think) included in the normal range of public transport services.

Things I'd recommend are the castle, the parliament building, and on a sunny day Margaret Island park is lovely - shady, peaceful, with fountains, a water park, statuary and bars aplenty. Good views of both banks of the river from there. Look out for ruin bars too - shabby but trendyish drinking places set up in industrial type buildings and crappy courtyards.
    I imagine you can do a shortish scenic boat trip up and down the Danube too. I was there four days, though one was too hot even to move so we found a pub garden and stayed put all day. There is plenty more for me to see next time I go back, I reckon you could fill a week comfortably.

Enjoyed Budapest a few years ago.
    Szimpla kert bar was a brilliant atmosphere and really enjoyed the ‘pop up’ bars that were in the courtyards in the Jewish quarter.
    only downside was when we went to Margrit Island, there were the equivalent of community payback people painting lamp posts. One of them had a dog. The dog decided we were fair game to become it’s new owners and followed us. 2 effing hours it took us to lose that mutt. 
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:

And the sea should be calmer down there...that's pretty close to Cape d'Agde...where we camped in 2013.
    That's right, just a couple of miles along the coast. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!