Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays 2019

Comments

• Options
    Budapest or Bucharest? 
  • Options
    Bali on boxing day
  • Options
    leefender said:
    Bali on boxing day
    Long way to go for a day out fella  ;)
  • Options
    Thank you @superclive98 @Elthamaddick and @Hastingsaddick. I'll do some research.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Attention Calgary addicks.

BBjnr will be in Calgary from tomorrow for a couple of weeks and i'm sure he's packed a different CAFC shirt for every day. If you  see him say hello *

• Options
    edited July 2019
    IdleHans said:
    Just back from four days in Budapest.

Beautiful city, and very highly recommended.
    It's small enough to see a lot in a short time. The architecture and geography are fabulous. It reminds me a lot of Lyon, which I also love, except everything is much cheaper. Good local beer about HUF 600 a pint (roughly £1.70), and decent restaurant meals not at all expensive. They know how to make proper coffee too.

Damned hot last week, couldnt move about much, so lots of beer tried.

The only slight downside is the complexity of the language - I like to have a go at the language when abroad, but hungarian is a nightmare! Making yourself understood in english there is generally ok, but I always feel a bit disrespectful for not having a proper go. Luckily went with a mate and his hungarian fiancée, which made things easier and gave us some cultural insight.

Interesting country which seems on the cusp of the old and new, a very generational divide with young people having a more open european mentality and the older generation adjusting from many years of life under communism. Will definitely be going back.

Not for the first time, I resolve never to use Ryanair ever again ever. Four hours held on the stand at the airport in 36C heat. Happy to sell everyone a bottle of overpriced water, but no customer care at all, and wouldnt let us off the plane in the mean time.

@idlehans You were on the same flight as my son and his girlfriend. He tells me that they announced they would be bringing food a drink around but it had to be paid for. That in itself is against EU regulations as your airline must provide food a drink for a delay of that length.

I encouraged them to apply for the delay compensation and by return they got an email back from Ryanair claiming an Air Traffic Control restriction caused the delay and that was beyond their control and no compensation was due. However, many other flights, including easyjet were departing. I've advised my son to take the case to the CAA as this sounds like the usual response to get out of paying the compensation.

On board, the cabin crew were claiming a thunderstorm over Austria was preventing their departure. When he messaged his mum with that news, she went on to a site that shows where the storms are across Europe and Austria was clear!

• Options
    ChiAddick said:
    ChiAddick said:
    I am already planning our summer holiday of 2020. I know its early but because of the financial outlay its best to plan ahead.

For those of you with kids school age that need to go during the summer holidays, have you ever tried a euro camp? If so, are there any you recommend?

My kids will be 7 and 3, we love a pool and to visit a beach. Other than that we're flexible. Will drive there so France is the obvious choice i guess. Many thanks. 
    Have never used Eurocamp for our summer holiday but have often used them for late May and October. Always been really good. 
    In recent years we have used Alfresco Holidays, as their prices always seem better.
    How far are you looking to go in France, as we've been to parks in Brittany, one North of Paris, the Cote d'Azur and down near Perpignan?
    Thanks for your reply. I was looking in the Vendee region. Only because i've read about the fantastic beaches it has. I've not been to France much, so don't have any major preference on region. With the 2 kids, driving to the South West may be worth considering if breaking the journey up. I'll have a look at Alfresco Holidays.
    Fantastic beaches in the South West, particularly south of Arcachon....a word of warning....the sea can be really rough down there, great for surfers but not good for kids or those that aren't strong swimmers, I certainly found it a bit of a struggle on one particular occasion while swimming at Moliets....and I'm a fairly strong swimmer.
    The sea can be pretty rough further up the coast too. Years ago we went to a really good beach at La Terriere, near La Tranche-sur-Mer and the waves were as big as I've seen anywhere. It was great for surfers and older kids on body boards. I think that my son was about 6 or 7 and he loved it, but he really couldn't go too far from the shore even with me next to him.
    If @ChiAddick is considering going as far as Arcachon then I would suggest going to the Med instead. For the last 6 years we have taken our summer holiday at a place called Marseillan, which is on the coast between Montpellier and Beziers. The beaches are brilliant and the sea is very shallow and safe. 
    We always rent a house but there are loads of campsites situated right on the beach. 
    And the sea should be calmer down there...that's pretty close to Cape d'Agde...where we camped in 2013.
    That's right, just a couple of miles along the coast. 
    Nice part of the world, lovely campsite at Cape d'Agde....though the ground was a tad hard for our tent and our roll mats wern't that thick....got decent ones now.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Right Peeps, anyone been Japan?
    Wife is starting to investigate various options for next year.  Any tips of best places to go?  Looking at going for 2-3 weeks.
  • Options
    We are just back from our annual trip to Kalamaki on Zakynthos. The hotel and our favourite restaurant in town all remembered us and we had the warmest of welcomes. It really makes a difference when they remember you.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Wife is starting to investigate various options for next year.  Any tips of best places to go?  Looking at going for 2-3 weeks.

@Badger should be able to advise. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    @JohnBoyUK I’d avoid the popular Spring cherry blossom season to be honest, personally find the crowds too much and the temples/gardens are at there best when enjoyed in more peaceful terms. 

Tokyo
    Plenty of different sides to the city whether you’re looking for traditional (Asakusa district), modern (Shibuya for the famous crossing and infinite neon lights) or arts/culture (recommend visit to the Studio Ghibli Museum if either of you are into movies). 
    Day trip to Kamakura and Enoshima Island is one of my favourite things to do while in Tokyo. 
    If you have an interest in maritime, then afternoon trip to Yokohama is worthwhile.

Kyoto
    Imperial Palace, Nijo Castle, Sanjusangendo temple, walking in Ponto-cho (geisha area), Fushimi Inari Shrine (to see 1000 red torii gates). 
    Kyoto is a great place to enjoy a traditional tea ceremony. Recommend Kyoto Washinkan.
    From Kyoto, you can take an excursion to Nara for the sacred deer park and more temples.

Hiroshima
    The peace park and atomic bomb museum are definitely worth a visit. 
    Miyajima Island is about hours’ train ride from Hiroshima. Great for a walk along the ‘pilgrims pathway’ where there’s a great view from the top. 

Osaka
    Some great evening walking food tours here. 
    During the day take a boat ride on the Dotonbori Canal which runs right through the middle of the city. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Some places of interest that i have visited.https://www.google.com/search?q=gunkanjima+island&oq=gunkan+jima+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.8447j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    If you want to visit the island you will need to book through a local travel agent 3 days before hand. The boat will leave from Nagasaki port, you can also visit the Nagasaki peace park.

https://www.google.com/search?q=kanazawa+japan&oq=Kanazawa&aqs=chrome.1.0l6.4697j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A visit to Kenrokuen Garden is recommended. The Train station is also pretty amazing to see.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beppu+onsen&oq=Beppu&aqs=chrome.1.0l6.3356j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A visit here for the Hotspring, but be careful which one you choose as they can be very hot, also some hot spring will not allow people in if they have Tattoo, if you do then check 1st

https://www.google.com/search?q=fukuoka+japan&oq=Fukuoka&aqs=chrome.1.0l6.7997j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Decent for visiting Temples, plenty to do here.

If you decide to Visit Miyajima island you will take a ferry and this is free with your Japan rail pass.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iwakuni+city&oq=Iwakuni+citu&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.6427j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Worth a visit, cable car is a must but check the times before hand. visit the Museum and walk over the Kintal bridge.

Good hotel to stay in Hiroshima if you visit would be https://uk.hotels.com/ho690732608/hotel-s-plus-hiroshima-peace-park-hiroshima-japan/?rffrid=sem.hcom.UK.google.003.00.04.s.kwrd=c.342266349818.58059911217.1580684088.1t4.dsa-549354340039.9044988..0.EAIaIQobChMIq-Wtx6We4wIViLPtCh0ObQcIEAAYBCAAEgK5D_D_BwE.aw.ds&PSRC=AFF05&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq-Wtx6We4wIViLPtCh0ObQcIEAAYBCAAEgK5D_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hotel S-Plus in Hiroshima is good and near to the peace park, you can also hire bicycles free at reception, nice to take a ride around the city.

I visited Shukkeien Garden,In Hiroshima. a leisurely stroll through the park will take about 40 minutes.cost is about 300yen, you can also visit the Prefectural art museum, cost is about 700 yen
  • Options
    Just returned from 7 nights no fly cruise with P&O from Southampton to the Bay of Biscay and onto Guernsey, so much easier than flying to boat and my first time with P&O. I would recommend
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

It's small enough to see a lot in a short time. The architecture and geography are fabulous. It reminds me a lot of Lyon, which I also love, except everything is much cheaper. Good local beer about HUF 600 a pint (roughly £1.70), and decent restaurant meals not at all expensive. They know how to make proper coffee too.

The only slight downside is the complexity of the language - I like to have a go at the language when abroad, but hungarian is a nightmare! Making yourself understood in english there is generally ok, but I always feel a bit disrespectful for not having a proper go. Luckily went with a mate and his hungarian fiancée, which made things easier and gave us some cultural insight.

Interesting country which seems on the cusp of the old and new, a very generational divide with young people having a more open european mentality and the older generation adjusting from many years of life under communism. Will definitely be going back.

Not for the first time, I resolve never to use Ryanair ever again ever. Four hours held on the stand at the airport in 36C heat. Happy to sell everyone a bottle of overpriced water, but no customer care at all, and wouldnt let us off the plane in the mean time.

@idlehans You were on the same flight as my son and his girlfriend. He tells me that they announced they would be bringing food a drink around but it had to be paid for. That in itself is against EU regulations as your airline must provide food a drink for a delay of that length.

I encouraged them to apply for the delay compensation and by return they got an email back from Ryanair claiming an Air Traffic Control restriction caused the delay and that was beyond their control and no compensation was due. However, many other flights, including easyjet were departing. I've advised my son to take the case to the CAA as this sounds like the usual response to get out of paying the compensation.

On board, the cabin crew were claiming a thunderstorm over Austria was preventing their departure. When he messaged his mum with that news, she went on to a site that shows where the storms are across Europe and Austria was clear!

Thanks for that. I will lodge a claim, but expect exactly the same response. To keep us shut in that overcrowded metal tube for four hours before departure in that heat with no opportunity to disembark was ridiculous.

I also tweeted Ryanair to ask why I have to provide my bank details to them before a decision on a delay claim can be made, as I dont like their data sharing conditions. I dont expect to receive a reply to that one at all.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    IdleHans said:

Thanks for that. I will lodge a claim, but expect exactly the same response. To keep us shut in that overcrowded metal tube for four hours before departure in that heat with no opportunity to disembark was ridiculous.

I also tweeted Ryanair to ask why I have to provide my bank details to them before a decision on a delay claim can be made, as I dont like their data sharing conditions. I dont expect to receive a reply to that one at all.
    doesn't sound like a great experience, but there is a reason for keeping you on the plane - if they let everyone off and a slot becomes available its likely to be lost by the time they get everyone back on - in which case your delay is longer.
  • Options
    @stoneroses19, @Badger
    thanks so much guys, really useful info and gives us some ammunition to give to Trailfinders when we pop in there at the weekend!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Naoshima the art island, miyajima and the deer park at Nara -  I would recommend. And Osaka was my favourite city.

Would also recommend getting the JR rail pass, will save you a bundle and make travelling all over a breeze.
  • Options
    Was meant to be my last shift tonight before my 9am flight Tues morning to Rhodes cold ciders waiting in fridge for weekend wind down oh but no just agreed overtime Sunday and Monday
    Talk about kick yourself in the b***s
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Just returned from 7 nights no fly cruise with P&O from Southampton to the Bay of Biscay and onto Guernsey, so much easier than flying to boat and my first time with P&O. I would recommend
    How does the plane land on the boat?
  • Options
    Was meant to be my last shift tonight before my 9am flight Tues morning to Rhodes cold ciders waiting in fridge for weekend wind down oh but no just agreed overtime Sunday and Monday
    Talk about kick yourself in the b***s
    Sensible decision, think about the money 

Besides that you will decompress even more when you are away 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just had an amazing holiday in the Highlands - incredibly beautiful place and so much to see. Loads of great walks and beautiful countryside and very relaxing.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Attention Calgary addicks.

BBjnr will be in Calgary from tomorrow for a couple of weeks and i'm sure he's packed a different CAFC shirt for every day. If you  see him say hello *

Was it one of us met Bbjnr at Calgary stampede yesterday? He was wearing his green Viglen shirt.
  • Options
    Just at the end of a week away in Turkey. Always been somewhere I've been a bit non plussed about including a previous visit but loved this one. Sensatori hotel near Side was excellent and perfect for my boys. Fantastic splash pool for them. Couldn't really fault anything about the place and a lot cheaper than Spain or Greece. We're fortunate that my boys are young enough to avoid the school hols though!
  • Options
    off to benidorm early doors friday morning for a stag back monday afternoon, any tips? we are staying in old town in some toilet of a hotel but 18 man stag and flights, hotel, transfers and "activities" for £300 so musnt grumble. 

if england make the final of the cricket would one of the rangers bars be best place to watch? 

ta in advance. 
  • Options
    We are just back from our annual trip to Kalamaki on Zakynthos. The hotel and our favourite restaurant in town all remembered us and we had the warmest of welcomes. It really makes a difference when they remember you.
    Our regular haunt too. Basic accommodation (we self cater) but couldn't ask for more in terms of hospitality etc
  • Options
    Our regular haunt too. Basic accommodation (we self cater) but couldn't ask for more in terms of hospitality etc

Which accommodation do you go for? We are Denny's Inn regulars but they are already booked for our week next year. We stick to at least B&B so we can use the many restaurants on the strip. Pandesia is by far our favourite.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:
    I am already planning our summer holiday of 2020. I know its early but because of the financial outlay its best to plan ahead.

For those of you with kids school age that need to go during the summer holidays, have you ever tried a euro camp? If so, are there any you recommend?

My kids will be 7 and 3, we love a pool and to visit a beach. Other than that we're flexible. Will drive there so France is the obvious choice i guess. Many thanks. 
    We have done Eurocamps in France, Germany, Holland and Italy.  Depends what you are after, some are vast and thousands of people, others much smaller.  Country perspective my favourite was Holland - lovely beaches, everyone speaks English, children friendly etc.  The two we stayed in were Duinrell which had a free theme park you could walk in and out of whenever you liked and a massive waterpark but you had to pay each time you went to that which meant no free pool.  The other was next to a safari park you could drive/walk into for free as much as you liked, on a lake you could swim in or sit on the beach next to, loads of grounds etc but it was a long way from the coast.  France we stayed in a good one in Agay, South france - name of park escapes me- it was a little smaller than some of the others (biggest and most busy was Bella Italia on Lake Garda in Italy).
  • Options
  • Options

Which accommodation do you go for? We are Denny's Inn regulars but they are already booked for our week next year. We stick to at least B&B so we can use the many restaurants on the strip. Pandesia is by far our favourite.
    Usually stay in Rainbow, on the road heading to Zante Town but its not far from the roundabout and before Michelos. Central strip is about 10 min stroll. Its self cater but food available all day in bar. Daughter also sayed in Vanessa this year and was more than happy with it.
  • Options
    1st day in Rhodes
    Happy days
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!