Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis 2019

Comments

• Kyrgios doesn't inspire sympathy, however he was right about Rafa's gamesmanship
  • edited July 2019
    Talal said:
    Just seen part of the interview with him where he says why should he apologise for hitting the ball straight at Nadal. Agree with him on that, there's too much apologising in tennis. No one means it anyway so why bother. 
    I didnt understand the issue behind him hitting the ball at Nadal to be honest?

The ball was in play and Kyrgios needed to win the point, fair enough had he done it when a point wasnt being played for
  • It’s just a simple apology for nearly wounding the opponent ... 
    common courtesy, costs nowt 
    but kyrgios starts saying why should I apologise he has loads of grand slams and millions of pounds ... 
    wtf has what he has got got to do with it 

• It’s just a simple apology for nearly wounding the opponent ... 
    common courtesy, costs nowt 
    but kyrgios starts saying why should I apologise he has loads of grand slams and millions of pounds ... 
    wtf has what he has got got to do with it 

Yeah the slams and money comment was unnecessary, but wounding an opponent? Come on it's a tennis ball, not a cricket ball. 
  • Apparently NK was in a local boozer until gone 11pm the night before his match. Good man. 
  • Apparently NK was in a local boozer until gone 11pm the night before his match. Good man. 
    Yep, and that sums up why he will never achieve his potential and is likely to retire from the game a bitter and twisted soul.
  • And he will blame everyone and everything else except himself.
  • Enough said 

• meldrew66 said:
    Apparently NK was in a local boozer until gone 11pm the night before his match. Good man. 
    Yep, and that sums up why he will never achieve his potential and is likely to retire from the game a bitter and twisted soul.
    He acknowledges this himself. I don’t think he’ll end up bitter and twisted over it though. 
  • Went yesterday, got Court 2 tickets after camping overnight.

Slow start - Barty winning easily in less than an hour (though she was impressive), then Dan Evans winning in straight sets, but the last couple of matches were quality - Lauren Davis was brilliant in knocking Kerber out, and then Baghdatis's last ever match.

Had never been before, it was a great day out - even the queue was alright, nice atmosphere, everyone chatting to everyone etc.  Much easier camping that trying to get there at silly o'clock too.
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48868080

Tomic fined his full match fee after his pathetic display against Tsonga. Strange how Aussie tennis can go from the ultimate competitor in Hewitt to complete wasters like Tomic and Kygios
    Sets a bit of a precedent though. Tomic won 7 games, it's not as if he lost 6-1, 6-0, 6-1. 
  • I don't like Kyrgios, comes across as a right tosser. Poor attitude and no respect, inevitably he will waste his talent.

That said, I found it very funny he got an ACE serving underarm and have seen him do it against other top class opponents lol and his reaction afterwards why should I care, funny but a proper bellpiece

• Could have at least said sorry!
  • Hang on, did that really win the point? I guess because the ball hit her before it could be called ‘out’, but I can’t believe there’s not a rule in place to stop that.
  • Hang on, did that really win the point? I guess because the ball hit her before it could be called ‘out’, but I can’t believe there’s not a rule in place to stop that.
    You automatically win the point if the ball hits the opponent, I presume to stop people deliberately jumping into stuff they can't get a racquet to in order to get a point replayed etc.
  • Gauff has saved 2 match points and is now a break up in 3rd. 

Incredible guts for a 15 year old to stay in there.
  • Hercog did a Konta ? Lose from 5-2 up with 2 match points (Joanne had two set points)why when the winning post is near do players get tense ? I guess that's the difference between winners and also rans.

Ps. Konta blowing the match in the French semi final.

• Gauff played a couple of great shots (the spin on a slice was crazy) but yes, Hercog got nervous.
  • Incredible stuff from gauff, feels like we are watching someone who will dominate the sport for many years to come, her composure and will to win were phenomenal
  • Sponsored links:

• Just a shame due to rules of the game she is limited to what events she can enter.

She is only allowed to enter 10 in a season due to her age, although some big names are calling for that rule to be relaxed
  • I find the highlights coverage with the paint really low budget.  awful idea
    You automatically win the point if the ball hits the opponent, I presume to stop people deliberately jumping into stuff they can't get a racquet to in order to get a point replayed etc.
    Yeah, I get that, but I agree with the player in that clip that it doesn’t seem a very sporting way to win a point.
    It just surprises me that there’s not a rule that calls that a fault, (or even a let?) as you surely can’t hit a player directly on a serve unless that serve is going out?
  • I suppose it being a black and white rule avoids the umpire having to make cricket style judgements of whether the ball was going to go on to be in if it hadn't have hit the opponent.
    This actually happened to me last year in a club match. I often when not receiving stand next to the T line for a second serve to make the service box appear smaller to the server. This position has won a lot of double faults over the years so happy to lose the point on that occasion.
  • edited July 2019
    I hope Harriet Dart doesn't get Bageled by the French Slam winner.
    Batty is the cricket playing, golf playing talented Pro Tennis player who came to the fore to win at Roland Garros

Good luck Harriet.

• Herbert and Murray out of the men's doubles 3-1
    Should have stuck with Lopez

They worked so well together at Queens, and if they had stuck together could have seen them getting far

They worked so well together at Queens, and if they had stuck together could have seen them getting far
    Do we know why that is ?

Do we know why that is ?
    Not sure of Lopez was already due to play with Carreno-Busta or if there is another reason