Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tennis 2019

Comments

• Options
    She speaks quite posh which is enough for me. 
  • Options
    Out of interest what does everyone make of Johanna Konta's "nationality". Didnt really bother me at the time but recently googling her I just think it's weird.

Born in Australia to Hungarian parents. Lived (and first taught/coached as a tennis player) in Oz until age 14. Moved to Eastbourne (?!) with parents & still played under the Australian flag. Aged 21 became a British citizen ( when her mum & dad did) & now plays under our flag.

One reason she gave for playing under the British flag was because the UK was where she was "brought up". I would have thought her formative years & where she learnt to play the sport was where she was "brought up".......not just a place her parent decided to live. 

Nothing against her but just not sure I can really call her "one of our own"
    Not a complete Brit, but more of a Brit than the likes of Rusedski (or Cameron Norrie, Chris Froome or various cricketers)

I was really glad that when we finally got a men's champion, it was someone who was genuinely British, someone who learned to play in this country. To me it made the achievement sweeter
    More of a Brit than Norrie and Froome?

Both were born to British parents (Froome's Father played Hockey at U19 level for England) 

I'd class them as more British than Konta as they've got lineage rather than application
    He might have lineage, but Froome has never actually lived in this country. Grew up in Kenya and S Africa and now lives in Monaco

• Options
    Andy Murray went to Spain to learn to play at the top level.
  • Options
    Out of interest what does everyone make of Johanna Konta's "nationality". Didnt really bother me at the time but recently googling her I just think it's weird.

Born in Australia to Hungarian parents. Lived (and first taught/coached as a tennis player) in Oz until age 14. Moved to Eastbourne (?!) with parents & still played under the Australian flag. Aged 21 became a British citizen ( when her mum & dad did) & now plays under our flag.

One reason she gave for playing under the British flag was because the UK was where she was "brought up". I would have thought her formative years & where she learnt to play the sport was where she was "brought up".......not just a place her parent decided to live. 

Not a complete Brit, but more of a Brit than the likes of Rusedski (or Cameron Norrie, Chris Froome or various cricketers)

I was really glad that when we finally got a men's champion, it was someone who was genuinely British, someone who learned to play in this country. To me it made the achievement sweeter

Both were born to British parents (Froome's Father played Hockey at U19 level for England) 

I'd class them as more British than Konta as they've got lineage rather than application
    He might have lineage, but Froome has never actually lived in this country. Grew up in Kenya and S Africa and now lives in Monaco

Dont really care where people live to be honest

As a Cyclist its a bit like being an F1 driver where they're rarely home anyway (Apart from Froome in his current condition)
  • Options

As a Cyclist its a bit like being an F1 driver where they're rarely home anyway (Apart from Froome in his current condition)
    Froome has never actually lived here at all though IIRC. Which makes the citizenship thing a bit iffy.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Froome has never actually lived here at all though IIRC. Which makes the citizenship thing a bit iffy.

Both of his parents are British - that helps when determining nationality.
  • Options
    T'was ever thus.

Our own John Hewie RIP played for Scotland courtesy of his grandfather but to the best of my knowledge never actually lived there.
  • Options
    Some will probably claim Prince Philip ain't English 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    thenewbie said:

What about Mo Farah?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    thenewbie said:

What about Mo Farah?
    Mo Farah has British Citizenship same as Konta

Citizenship isnt the same as Nationality
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    thenewbie said:

What about Mo Farah?

isn't it a pointless argument?  if you are a British national and have a passport why should anything else matter?

That's why I don't agree on all the non Irish football Players who played for Ireland.  John Aldridge was considered a foreigner playing for Liverpool in Europe even though he's a scouser !
  • Options
    Konta proving she is British at heart right now.
  • Options
    Konta proving she is British at heart right now.
    Bottling it big time. 

Please please prove me wrong 
  • Options
    Did the same in the French semi final. Needs to cut out the unforced errors.
  • Options
    Forehand is woeful. 
  • Options
    4-1 up in the first set to now be a set and a break down is a very English collapse, can't see her turning it around from here.
  • Options
    Dear oh dear
  • Options
    At 40 40 Konta double faults and then misses a simple smash. 
    Total meltdown. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    It’s my fault. I tuned in at 3-0 in the first set - apologies!

Since then she’s won four games and Strycova’s won 12...
  • Options
    Don't think so, @Callumcafc. She has shown before she lacks bottle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite possibly the worse set she could have played concidering what was at stake 
  • Options
    Strycova is third seed in the doubles draw. Not sure what court she’s scheduled to play later
  • Options
    Konta was awful.
  • Options
    Utter bottle job I’m afraid. 
  • Options
    She's certainly not Scottish! Come on SerAndy!!
  • Options
    Serena showing Andy how it's done here.
  • Options
    She’s Australian. Don’t normally associate them with bottling. Oh well. 
  • Options
    She’s Australian. Don’t normally associate them with bottling. Oh well. 
    Hoping their cricketers catch it ahead of the Ashes.
  • Options
    Superb interview with her when she completely loses it - seems unable to accept that she keeps bottling it. She's capable of playing very well but her temperament keeps letting her down.

Seems a very prickly character.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    thenewbie said:

What about Mo Farah?

isn't it a pointless argument?  if you are a British national and have a passport why should anything else matter?

That's why I don't agree on all the non Irish football Players who played for Ireland.  John Aldridge was considered a foreigner playing for Liverpool in Europe even though he's a scouser !
    Didn't Jack Charlton try to convince Mark O'vanBasten that he had Irish heritage?