Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis 2019

A few times last year I wanted to put something about Tennis and there was no thread so I had to put it in random ones so here we go a thread for all of the 2019 ATP and WTA events and challenger events obviously

Comments

• 2019 didnt start of great for the brits

Defeat for Kyle Edmund in the 2nd round of The Brisbane ATP event losing 2-0 to Yasutaka Uchiyama(185)

Quickly followed by Andy Murray losing at the same stage against Dani Medvedev also 2-0

Jo Konta also lost 2-0 in the 2nd round in Brisbane to Tomljanovic
  • Murray is finished as far as top tennis goes and said as much himself the other day. Shame as he has been really unlucky with this long term hip problem.
    Nadal a doubt for Melbourne.
    The Fed will retire this year I reckon.
  • edited January 2019
    Can we do separate threads for all the grand slams mister? :-)
  • Can we do separate threads for all the grand slams mister? :-)

Yep.
  • Riviera said:

Murray is finished as far as top tennis goes and said as much himself the other day. Shame as he has been really unlucky with this long term hip problem.

I wonder whether Djokovic will dominate once Federer and Nadal has gone (and as you've said I think Murray is unlikely to get back to that level), or of we'll see people like Zverev really step up and challenge him. I hope the latter.
  • It doesn't look great for Murray does it? Such a shame. Easily my favourite sports person, outside of Charlton players. I can't blame him for wanting to give one more shot though. He's achieved everything that could be reasonably expected of him though, and represented the country very well over the years. I think I'd rather see him call it a day while he's somewhere near the top than bumble around constantly coming back from injuries and slipping ever further down the rankings.

The last 10 years or so have been an absolute golden age for men's tennis, I don't see the next few being anywhere near as good though, unfortunately there don't seem to be any real standout player ready to fill the void that Murray, Nadal, Feds, and Novak will leave. Given trheir age etc, all 4 should probably have been over taken by the youth all ready but no one has stepped up. Maybe it's just a sign of just how good they were/are.
  • If Murray can't compete at that top level then he will retire. He'll give it a go but I don't think he will last the year.
  • Riviera said:

Murray is finished as far as top tennis goes and said as much himself the other day. Shame as he has been really unlucky with this long term hip problem.

Maybe he will still be able to play a bit of doubles with his brother at a decent level.

I think I remember reading that they both wanted that before they finished completely. It may have just come sooner than anticipated.
  • That's a good shout @LenGlover
  • Edmund should fall down the rankings this year.

Too many points to defend.
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the look of Khachanov this year.
  • I noticed Switzerland won the Hopman Cup for the 2nd year in a row, exact same final as last year as well and exact same 4 players

Switzerland-Federer and Bencic(who is a 100% would ya)
    Germany-Zverev and Kerber

Switzerland won 2-1
  • edited January 2019
    Jo Konta pulled out of her qualifier for the Sydney Open against Alexandrova at 4-1 down in the 1st set with a neck injury.

She then got given a place in the main draw as a lucky loser and was due to face Bertens in round 1

She has now pulled out of that match due to her neck injury
  • I've deliberately raised this issue under the Tennis thread in order not to distract from what's going on in the Australian
    Open.

Andy Murray has, in the last 24 hours, attacked the LTA saying that they have failed to make the most of his success. that is an understatement with participation in the sport (those playing at least an hour a week) has gone down from 487,500 in 2008 to 398,200 in 2016. And the figures for 2018 are going to be even lower.

In 2011 (my son, Seb, was 8 at the time) I sent an email to the LTA questioning their attitude with regards to the encouragement of kids to play and progress in the sport. This is an extract from that email:

During the (Kent County) tournament Seb was asked by the LTA Performance Rep his name and what Club he played at and the Rep said to him at that time that he would be telephoning his parents. A little while later during the comp Seb was asked by the same Rep whether or not he played five times a week and Seb explained that he only played once because he also plays football and cricket (these are out of school activities - he has also represented his school at full contact rugby, hockey and cross country). We heard no more.

Exactly two years later, in 2013 and when Seb was 10, I sent the LTA another email. This is an extract from that one:

Seb continues to thoroughly enjoy his one hour of tennis a week at a local club and has become a better player as a result (as he does playing Rugby, Football and Hockey for his school) but it is sad to reflect that the LTA's decision not to afford him the opportunity to practice at a higher level, without a ludicrous commitment of 10 hours plus a week to the sport, has all but ended his interest in competitive tennis.

Until the LTA (and their local Reps) begin to understand that it is important to allow young sportsmen to play ALL sports, the pool of talented boys and girls available to tennis will continue to get smaller and smaller. Which, along with cost and the middle class nature of the sport, rather serves to explain why the LTA, despite being one of the richest Tennis organisations in the world, continue to fail to produce a single top tennis player - Andy Murray, after all, is the only male or female Grand Slam finalist in the last 36 years and he was a product of the Schiller International School and specifically the Sanchez-Casal Academy.

Seb hasn't played any tennis for two years now. He is county standard at both cricket and table tennis - the latter being the sport that he took up to replace tennis. Better tennis players than Seb will have left the sport, for the same reason, at a young age too and other kids that might have an aptitude for the game will never get that opportunity.

Until the LTA take the decision to accept that it is good to play all sports at a young age and provide subsidised tennis for those that can't afford it, they will continue to fish in the same limited pool - but they won't now be able to bask in the success of Andy Murray or use it to their advantage.
  • Its ironic timing as seem to remember someone saying on the latest Andy Murray thread saying that the LTA will be the key figures who arent going to enjoy his retirement as its going to highlight their faults.

He's certainly right in every way though - Just look at how British Cycling built on the success at the Olympics and on the road by pushing people to get out more, creating new events etc. - the LTA on the other hand appear to have sat on their arses hoping that people will simply be inspired by the achievements of Murray
  • Its ironic timing as seem to remember someone saying on the latest Andy Murray thread saying that the LTA will be the key figures who arent going to enjoy his retirement as its going to highlight their faults.

He's certainly right in every way though - Just look at how British Cycling built on the success at the Olympics and on the road by pushing people to get out more, creating new events etc. - the LTA on the other hand appear to have sat on their arses hoping that people will simply be inspired by the achievements of Murray

That was also me. A couple of days ago I said this - not realising that, in addition to a lack of good players coming through, participation had actually gone down too:

Murray retiring is also the last thing that the LTA want - most people know that the LTA have had nothing whatsoever to do with his success on the court and his absence will, once again, expose their inefficiencies.
  • Federer in another final tomorrow, could be 101

The womens final in Indian Wells should be good as well, watched alot of WTA recently as its on BT Sport and 1 of the finalists looks to have a great future 18 year old Canadian Bianca Andreescu
  • edited March 2019
    Federer in another final tomorrow, could be 101

The womens final in Indian Wells should be good as well, watched alot of WTA recently as its on BT Sport and 1 of the finalists looks to have a great future 18 year old Canadian Bianca Andreescu
     Because Nadal pulled out of their semi (Shut up @DaveMehmet ). They've not played each other since 2017. Lots of people saying Nadal should quit the hard court season, his recent record is full of withdrawals. His knees can't take it, needs to keep to clay and possibly grass only or he'll have to retire before Andy Murray! 
  • Riviera said:

Because Nadal pulled out of their semi (Shut up @DaveMehmet ). They've not played each other since 2017. Lots of people saying Nadal should quit the hard court season, his recent record is full of withdrawals. His knees can't take it, needs to keep to clay and possibly grass only or he'll have to retire before Andy Murray! 
    Bit harsh to say he is there because Nadal pulled out,  even if they had played I think Federer would have won
  • Riviera said:

Bit harsh to say he is there because Nadal pulled out,  even if they had played I think Federer would have won
    Not harsh, a fact! And I agree, I think Roger would have won too. Nadal is washed up on hard court tennis. 
  • Sponsored links:

• 18 year old Canadian Bianca Andreescu won in India Wells beating Kerber in the final

Whilst Dominic Thiem beat Federer in the mens event
  • edited March 2019
    Both men and womens tour are strange this year.

WTA so far 13 events 13 different winners, Miami final tomorrow is Barty v Pliskova if Barty wins it will be 14 events 14 different winners, if Pliskova wins she will be the 1st double winner.

ATP so far 19 events 19 different winners
    Miami final be Isner v Federer/Shapovalov(semi final tonight) if Isner or Shapovalov win it will be 20 events 20 different winners, if Federer wins he will be the 1st double winner
  • edited March 2019
    Just out of interest, has anyone on here ever been to see the masters tournament at the royal Albert hall in December?

always been on my to do list, but notever got round to it.

https://tickets.royalalberthall.com/production/65257
  • Barty won in Miami so WTA is now 14 events 14 different winners
  • Can't remember ever seeing this before. A player wins from 0-6 0-5 and match point down.

"When you're losing 0-6 0-5 and facing match point, the chances are there is no way back.

But the old saying goes that winners never quit - and Tara Moore refused to give up when she found herself in that exact position on Tuesday.

In a show of extraordinary grit, the British number nine saved herself from being double bageled at 30-40 down, and went on to beat French third seed Jessika Ponchet 0-6 7-6 6-3 at the ITF World Tour event in Sunderland.

The greatest comeback in tennis history? Well, the 26-year-old said on social media that it had been "never in doubt".

Moore has won nine ITF singles titles and reached the second round of Wimbledon in 2016."

• Just out of interest, has anyone on here ever been to see the masters tournament at the royal Albert hall in December?

always been on my to do list, but notever got round to it.

https://tickets.royalalberthall.com/production/65257
    Yep, not for a few years now but been a couple of times.
    Pricey as tennis always is but a good chance to see some very high quality at close quarters.
  • My grandfather used to promote tennis at the old Wembley Pool. Saw Laver, Newcombe, Smith, Rosewall, Nastase and many greats. How easy would it be to put on a similar evening show in say, O2.  LTA like so many governing bodies, useless, not fit for purpose.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48036923

After 2020 the ATP finals will leave the O2 and move to Turin. While it's been great having it in London, it probably was time it moved on to another city.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48103327

A shocking change at Wimbledon. From next year the ballot will be done online!
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48103327

A shocking change at Wimbledon. From next year the ballot will be done online!
    So even worse odds of getting a ticket...