Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland Til I Die - Netflix

Comments

• edited December 2018
    CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

image.

...and a person with a claret and blue scarf behind???
    Wtf is going on here? What a mystery
    Wasnt there an England friendly there last year? Maybe its taken from that?
    If your talking about the friendly v Australia that was May 28th 2016 . I doubt they would have started filming then or that they would have been wrapped up in scalfs and hats .
  • Really enjoyed that, thought Coleman came across well to be fair although interesting that McGeady was pretty critical of his laid back attitude. Would have liked to have heard more from some of the players though like Catermole and O'Shea and there was not enough access with the team talks half times etc.
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

image.

If your talking about the friendly v Australia that was May 28th 2016 . I doubt they would have started filming then or that they would have been wrapped up in scalfs and hats .
    Yeah but its cold up t'North
  • CAFCTrev said:

image.

And a New York Yankees cap.

Gets weirder.
  • CAFCTrev said:

CAFCTrev said:

image.

Filming started around the beginning of the 2017-2018 season.
  • Carter said:

I never saw Fashanu or Jones as intimidating, if I was playing on a Sunday against either of those they wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Keane, Souness those two had a real edge of genuine, nasty violence about them as did our own Lee Bowyer they would have been horrible to compete against and would have brought out the worst in me. The Leicester centre half Walsh was a genuine hard man and no centre forward wanted any part of him

Billy Whitehurst is reckoned to be one of the hardest men of all time - and he did actually play for Sunderland for a short time.

The most notorious episode he had been involved in, is recalled by the star himself as Billy Whitehurst remembers like it happened yesterday. He was playing for Oxford at that time when he entered a pub for a drink. Inside he started arguing with “this kid”. His opponent was joined by other two guys, but that didn’t stop Billy to put his thumb in his eye and smash the kid’s head against the wall. This situation escalated very quickly one of the other guys, who pulled a telescopic bar and smashed Billy’s Whitehurst’s nose with it. The third guy also hit Billy on the other side and then the telescopic bar hit him again in the cheek. This last hit made a hole through Billy’s cheek close to the side of his nose. It took 30 stiches to fix the wound at the back of his head and his nose was hanging off right after the fight got over but got stitched back on.

Whitehurst’s hard-man persona and colourful off-field antics made him one of the most feared players to face. As Paul Lake recalled: “I felt my elbow make full contact with the bridge of another players nose and to my horror realise it’s one William Whitehurst Esq. ‘Oh Christ, anyone but that f***ing monster.’ I thought. I nervously glanced over at my partner Brian Gayle who just smiled, made the sign of the cross and jogged away.” Even former managers were intimidated by the striker with Hull’s boss Colin Appleton changing an XI he had pinned to the wall which saw Whitehurst dropped to the bench only for a knowing stare from Whitehurst persuading Appleton to rethink his selection.
  • Watched a few episodes last night and echo the thoughts on the editing. For example every clip they show of Simon Grayson at the Brentford away game is actually Simon Grayson at the KC Stadium. It's really sloppy.
  • Binge watched it the last few days, really enjoyed it, there may well be a second season too
  • Just watched 3 episodes tonight. Blimey that was depressing. And to think that their supporters went through two consecutive relegation seasons... How many wins did they get to see during those two years? I kind of feel sorry for them.
  • Just watched the first episode. Fans and players all hopeful and excited, confidence seems high, they're all looking at going for promotion back to the premier league, Cattermole saying they can win the championship etc.

Pre-season friendly, Sunderland 0 Celtic 5. Fans boo them off!
  • Sponsored links:

• Just watched the first episode. Fans and players all hopeful and excited, confidence seems high, they're all looking at going for promotion back to the premier league, Cattermole saying they can win the championship etc.

Pre-season friendly, Sunderland 0 Celtic 5. Fans boo them off!

It's ironic/sad to see, knowing what a disastrous season it turned out to be.
  • Thought the editing of the match footage really poor but the bits with Rodwell and Grabbon showed what young players are like nowadays.

Martin Bain came across far better than I expected but he was on £1.3m a year so he should be.

Grayson was so weak, amazing how guys like him (in shit casual designer clothes) get jobs like that.

Worth watching but did get fed up with a lot of it.
  • edited December 2018

Thought the editing of the match footage really poor but the bits with Rodwell and Grabbon showed what young players are like nowadays.

Martin Bain came across far better than I expected but he was on £1.3m a year so he should be.

Grayson was so weak, amazing how guys like him (in shit casual designer clothes) get jobs like that.

Worth watching but did get fed up with a lot of it.

My thoughts too. His biggest failures were probably the appointments of Moyes and Grayson. Yet selecting the right manager for a club like them was always going to be an immensely tough job. I remember well most of their fans were saying what a great appointment Moyes was when he just went there. I'm currently on episode 4 and it seems it was a similar case re Coleman. It really was very challenging to find the right man to save them.

And Grayson was indeed laughable. He looked nothing like a manager in his interviews. The clothes he wore were dreadful. There seemed a lack of seriousness in him.
  • One other thing that stood out, Ashley Fletcher is absolutely shit. How does he keep getting moves to fairly big clubs. Man U as a kid, then West ham, then Middlesbrough plus a couple of loans.

His goalscoring record, 8 league goals in 75 appearances (although something like 40 of those were as a sub).
  • I’m 3 episodes in and really enjoying it.
  • Binge watched every episode today, great watch.
  • edited December 2018
    Carter said:

I never saw Fashanu or Jones as intimidating, if I was playing on a Sunday against either of those they wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. Keane, Souness those two had a real edge of genuine, nasty violence about them as did our own Lee Bowyer they would have been horrible to compete against and would have brought out the worst in me. The Leicester centre half Walsh was a genuine hard man and no centre forward wanted any part of him

Agree with that. Van den Hauwe, Mark Dennis, Thommo and any number of 80s players were harder than Fashanu and Jones.
  • Finished it last night. A great watch overall. Some parts are quite emotional for me - maybe it's the music. Or maybe it's that I followed them when they were in the Premier League. I wish one day we'll have our own documentary series made. I'd be shedding tears watching it.... (I've watched Centenary History before but it's an old production.)

The opening credits are great. Loved the song and the visuals.

Lewis Grabban is an awful awful person. Felt a bit sorry for Jonny Williams (although he's a Palace player). As for Rodwell, one thing I don't quite understand. He eventually left Sunderland so what was the new owner or CEO did that Martin Bain couldn't do about Rodwell? Or was it just that Bain was incompetent?
  • Sponsored links:

• Finished it last night. A great watch overall. Some parts are quite emotional for me - maybe it's the music. Or maybe it's that I followed them when they were in the Premier League. I wish one day we'll have our own documentary series made. I'd be shedding tears watching it.... (I've watched Centenary History before but it's an old production.)

Lewis Grabban is an awful awful person. Felt a bit sorry for Jonny Williams (although he's a Palace player). As for Rodwell, one thing I don't quite understand. He eventually left Sunderland so what was the new owner or CEO did that Martin Bain couldn't do about Rodwell? Or was it just that Bain was incompetent?

There was no relegation clause in Rodwell's contract when they dropped to the championship but apparently it was only valid for 1 season, so his wages were due to drop by 40-50% for the current season.

So faced with not playing (again) for the final year of his contract, and the reduced wage, it meant it was easier to reach a mutual agreement and he took a small pay off to leave.

There was no relegation clause in Rodwell's contract when they dropped to the championship but apparently it was only valid for 1 season, so his wages were due to drop by 40-50% for the current season.

So faced with not playing (again) for the final year of his contract, and the reduced wage, it meant it was easier to reach a mutual agreement and he took a small pay off to leave.
    Thanks. I didn't know it was only valid for one season. I thought after this farce no club would ever want him. See I was wrong!
  • Just met up with some Pompey and Sunderland fans on the train, all agreed that Sunderland were shite today, whatever that means
  • Wife’s out on her works Crimbo do tonight so think I’ll watch a bit of this before MOTD starts.
  • Watched it and thought it was excellent ...jack Rodwell i get the feeling will get a great reception following this !!!
  • Sorry if already posted but , own up the person that was wearing the charlton hat in the Sunderland crowd????

I will post a pic later.
  • Watched it last night and I believe it was episode 4 or 5 where they played Fulham at home and won 1-0 for the first home win in over a year. Panning the crowd there is a kid with a Charlton hat on ! Thought that was strange a long way from home.
  • ct_addick said:

Watched it last night and I believe it was episode 4 or 5 where they played Fulham at home and won 1-0 for the first home win in over a year. Panning the crowd there is a kid with a Charlton hat on ! Thought that was strange a long way from home.

Sorry just saw previous posts. Well spotted
  • I thought the issue with Rodwell was that he was going to the press to make himself look good saying he was training hard, wanted to play, was available for selection etc etc...............but the actual truth was the complete opposite and he wasn't arsed at all.