Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Liberal Club closing? Edit.......confirmed, closing tonight (Sunday)

Comments

• What is the purpose of the gathering? A sizeable number, all taking the photo seriously and dutifully posing.
    No females present.
    Nor any youths.
    All well-dressed males varying in age up to elderly.
    Maybe one or two in uniform.
    Any clue in the banner and the flag?
    The cup must be a significant trophy to merit such large and respectable turn-out.
    A male-voice choir would account for the range of ages.
    Not wearing hats, surely against the everyday convention of the period.
    But at least 2 are holding hats, and the one near the trophy appears to be a "boater", which could indicate a less formal occasion than the suits & buttonholes suggest.  Perhaps as suggested by @Baldybonce it is a sporting trophy whose win they are commemorating?
  • Is the bloke just to the left of the trophy, sitting on the ground with both hands holding his right knee, wearing some kind of uniform?
  • seth plum said:
    Is the bloke just to the left of the trophy, sitting on the ground with both hands holding his right knee, wearing some kind of uniform?
    Yes

Possibly Royal Garrison Artillery but @SE7toSG3 or @Blitzwalker will know better.

No medal ribbons on a uniform suggests pre-WW1.
  • seth plum said:
    Is the bloke just to the left of the trophy, sitting on the ground with both hands holding his right knee, wearing some kind of uniform?
    Yes

Possibly Royal Garrison Artillery but @SE7toSG3 or @Blitzwalker will know better.

No medal ribbons on a uniform suggests pre-WW1.
    I thought Police?
  • Donation of items from the Lib to the museum today including this photo.

No date but looks pre-WW1 so might be a few early Addicks in there as well maybe some relatives of some lifers

Guess that it's the rear of old Liberal Club on the Woolwich Road.
    Best thing to do is ask @TCE, he took the photo, I'm sure he'll tell us all about it!!!😜
    Where are the dogs?

No date but looks pre-WW1 so might be a few early Addicks in there as well maybe some relatives of some lifers

Best thing to do is ask @TCE, he took the photo, I'm sure he'll tell us all about it!!!😜
    Where are the dogs?
    Shortly to be hanging off @Redmidlands arse I should think.
  • I thought like Baldybonce that it was a copper
  • Sponsored links:

• Could well be a police uniform.

Hard to see the emblem on the left sleeve.

Is it Millwall preparing to head off Portsmouth at Waterloo? 

Nah, judging by the age of most of them it's Charlton's top boys of the time forming up for Millwall away.

An hour after this picture was taken they encountered 10 Millwall dockers and spent the rest of the afternoon getting chased up and down the Old Kent Road. Standard.
  • Looks to me like Peter Blake had the right idea when he said 'no, I think I will go with the other one'.
  • Must be pushing 150 people in that photograph. getting it all set up would have been a challenge, must've been some kind of special occasion. The main dudes are usually at the centre of the front properly seated row in these kind of things.
    A good effort to get nearly everybody looking at the camera at the same time.

• I think I recognise the tiny little wee fella with the tash near the front just right of centre, in front of Jeremy Corbyn.

I believe one of his descendants went on to co-found a popular internet forum focussing on the local football team.

Might there be a helmet standing on the canvas ground covering, between his left leg and the bum of the man next to him?

seth plum said:
    Must be pushing 150 people in that photograph. getting it all set up would have been a challenge, must've been some kind of special occasion. The main dudes are usually at the centre of the front properly seated row in these kind of things.
    A good effort to get nearly everybody looking at the camera at the same time.

Looks like the kind of photo where all in it had an opportunity to buy a copy, so there is a chance someone else may have one where someone has kindly written on the back what the event was!
    Is there a local history group or similar with a Facebook page where the Museum could post an enquiry?
  • The "for sale" sign on the front of the Lib club building has had "SOLD" added to it in the past couple of days.

Definitely Police.

Think the flag is masonic.
  • Sponsored links:

3rd row from the front, 4th from the left 
    A very young @AFKABartram 😉

• Not sure why I think it but if this was Masonic wouldn’t the Lodge name and number be displayed somewhere ? The reverse of the photograph clearly say club president so I would think this is definitely a Liberal Club gathering.
  • I know PureLake were in for buying it originally, don't know if they succeeded but if they did, it'll be flats.

• Not wearing hats, surely against the everyday convention of the period.
    For the record hat etiquette in those days was you wear a hat in a public space and remove it in a private space. A club that charged a membership fee was deemed a private space.

• Freehold sold, spoke to the agents this morning in a work capacity, couldn’t or wouldn’t tell me who to, can only assume it’s residential 
  • Are the members at the time of it closing in for a "dab"?
  • 1905 said:
    Are the members at the time of it closing in for a "dab"?
    Yes all sorted.
  • 1905 said:
    Are the members at the time of it closing in for a "dab"?
    Believe they had their payout already, my uncle was one of them