Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liberal Club closing? Edit.......confirmed, closing tonight (Sunday)

Comments

• Options
    They didn't realise the beer was that expensive before they tasted.
  • Options

Sad times.

Part of our heritage fast disappearing and it saddens me.
    Having said that I have barely set foot in a pub in nigh on 25 years, so I am part of the problem.
    Was a time back in the day I frequented all the local pubs pre match
  • Options

Wasn't it only referbed recently ?

Yes, but lost most of it's capacity to flats.

The real shame was that they did the deal to sell of the older part of the building not knowing the Con club was about to close.

If they had known the joint trade might have kept them open but now too small and not enough non-match day income is my guess.
    Nothing could have saved the Lib at the time there were reasons half of the club had to be sold.
  • Options
    I was on the committee there back in the late 90’s early 00’s, it only ever survived then due to home games, the days of a large local non football membership were the heydays of 70’s & 80’s
  • Options
    That is sad news
  • Options

DA9 said:

I was on the committee there back in the late 90’s early 00’s, it only ever survived then due to home games, the days of a large local non football membership were the heydays of 70’s & 80’s

The number of large manufacturing / industrial firms that have left the area hasn't helped, the days of the working man having a beer after a hard day's work went with them.
    I think the working man's wages aren't sufficient to cover all the tax the government puts on beer these days. Plenty of people down on the retail park who'd stop for a drink on the way home of it wasn't £4.50 a pint. Pubs are largely a middle class venue these days.
  • Options

CL to take it over as a clubhouse?

Yep agree with this. Our Club house.

CL with the supporters trust ?

Supporters clubhouse staffed by volunteers
    who should get some kind of benefit in kind.

Free season ticket donated by our new benevolent owner ?
  • Options
    Sad news indeed! Part of my childhood and part of the reason I support the club is because of the Lib. When we lived in Church Lane the old man too me and my brother to the Valley and left us there as it gave him a chance to spend a couple of hours in the Lib. We also used to go there Saturday nights, New Years Eve etc. We were regulars there between 71 and around 78 when we switched to the Newbridge club at the Standard.
  • Options
    If the staff are reading and management, really hope you all find alternative employment soon and thanks for the memories.
    Used to get in there at 11ish with our noses at the door and you always let us in , bucket of lagers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think many are lamenting the old club rather than the adjacent block next door rightly described above as a doctor's surgery. Popped in there before the Plymouth game for the one and only time and couldn't get served for lack of bar staff.

Would love to see it taken over as a supporters club one day but if not now doubt it will ever happen.
  • Options

Has the Antigallican closed ?

Yes.
  • Options
    I really like the supporters' clubhouse / bar idea. Anyone prepared to look properly into what it might entail?
  • Options
    One and only time as you said, You get in late more punters want serving.
  • Options
    Had some good times in there over the years, sad to hear this. Always had decent bar staff in the there as well on matchdays.

So what’s gone wrong since the refurb? I’m sure that must have been quite costly and the business plan there has always been 90% on Charlton matchdays. Has trade dropped off significantly in last year? Seems strange to just close without any form of ‘save the Lib’ rally.

What’s to happen with the building?
  • Options
    That's a shame, always preferred the Coni but when that went the Lib was the place before & after games. A lot of old friends moved up the road as well until deciding to support the Belgian in crossbars. Still as they said " it won't make any difference"
  • Options
    Could Roland stick his hand in his pocket to help a pillar of his beloved Charlton community?
  • Options

Could Roland stick his hand in his pocket to help a pillar of his beloved Charlton community?

Hahaha
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    cblock said:

One and only time as you said, You get in late more punters want serving.

Yes but that's when you take the money so expected it to staffed at the bar. You are right though, just one recent experience. Not a patch on the old place (even if I did only go that once to the new one).
  • Options
    Went down hill when they chopped it in half. Was left with the charm and charisma of a GP's waiting room. Shame as the old set up was great, many, many great memories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not having a go mate , hard to manage a bar commercially, you are right, the old lib was very good. But you can't employ staff for 3 hours for a peak of 1 hour,
    I am probably wrong never running bar.
  • Options
    Shame. Can't say I loved it, but they always had an ale and the football on and it was cheap. Another tragedy of the Roland era.

The Royal Oak is such a part of Charlton's history, I'd hate to see that go too. But it's been a long time since it was a good pub.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Shame. Can't say I loved it, but they always had an ale and the football on and it was cheap. Another tragedy of the Roland era.

The Royal Oak is such a part of Charlton's history, I'd hate to see that go too. But it's been a long time since it was a good pub.

When the con club closed I was absolutely upset.
    The liberal club closing is sad but not as sad as the con club
  • Options

Vincenzo said:

Agree. Loved drinking in the Con and even a mate hold his 21st there - great split in the room of half family and half lads from football.

Where will people drink now, back to the village?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Vincenzo said:

Agree. Loved drinking in the Con and even a mate hold his 21st there - great split in the room of half family and half lads from football.

Where will people drink now, back to the village?
    Been drinking in the White Swan since the Lib broke in half.
  • Options
    So in the space of the last few months, that's the White Horse, The Antigallican and the Lib club all gone in the vicinity of the ground. Sad times for the pub trade in the area.
  • Options

Advert from 1935 programme courtesy of the museum's collection.

The board minutes and other records show that

Minutes of a Board Meeting held at the Offices, 25 Church Lane, Charlton,S.E.7 on Thursday evening November, 17th at 5-30.p.m., there being present Messrs. D.W. Oliver, S.A. Hartgrove, F. Williams, E. Radford, W. Rayner and A. Brandon.
    The Chairman Mr. D.W. Oliver Presiding.

An Invitation having been received from the Charlton Liberal Club for representatives of the Club to address a meeting there with a view to obtaining Share Subscriptions it was left with the Secretary to fix up a suitable date.

&

Minutes of a Board Meeting held at the Office 25 Church Lane,Char1ton, on Tuesday November,29th 1921, at 5-30.p.m., there being present:-
    Messrs. D.W. Oliver, T. Sullivan, S.A. Hartgrove, F. Williams, W.J. Rayner, and A. Brandon.
    The Chairman Mr. D.W. Oliver Presiding.
    The Minutes of the previous Meeting were read and confirmed.
    Mr. Brandon reported that Mr. Watt and himself visited the Charlton Liberal Club, on Monday the 28th instant, and addressed a meeting, with a view to inducing members of the Charlton Liberal Club to take up Shares in the Charlton Athletic Football Company Ltd., the addresses given were well received and it is to be expected that the result of the Meeting will be that some shares will be applied for.

Also the Supporters club held meetings/dances there in the 1950s (Source: The Red Robin magazine) and early 1960s (Various Handbooks).

Part of the club's history going.
  • Options
    All of the match day pubs aren’t as busy I go to the swan and it used to be packed by 1 nowadays empty as can get served straight away
  • Options
    edited October 2018

In the programme ad the Lib's address is given as 560 Woolwich Road.

These pieces of real local history are all the sadder when they mark yet another passing.

And the Antigallican gone too ....
  • Options
    Someone please save it