Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Taskmaster

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Promising first episode, I thought. Some good chaotic energy about Jenny Eclair, Kiell was pretty funny (for me), and Frankie already looking like this series' David Baddiel but also him and Greg were playing off each other nicely in the studio:

Jenny: "That gives me trench vagina"
    Frankie: "There's lots we don't know about the First World War"
    Greg: "Oh, lest we forget!"
  • Options
    That canal boat task looked really fun to do.

Up there with the hide and seek/get closer to Alex while he ducks down type episode in the train yard a few series back as tasks I'd like to have a go at!
  • Options
    Thought it was a solid start to the series , might take a couple of episodes to really get into the swing of things but it showed promise. The string task was classic TM. 
  • Options
    Really enjoying this series, really good contestants again.

Feel like it had a dip in quality with the first couple of series on Channel 4, the ones that had to be covid compliant on the tasks then have them stretched out in the studio etc, but the last few have been so good again.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Great for the kids and their family, but nobody else cares about some random precocious little darling getting to be on telly.
    As with nearly every format that gets a “junior” spinoff, I seriously doubt this will be good viewing. All the edge will be removed and it’ll probably be sickly sweet. No thanks.

Matafeo and Wozniak are good, but I can’t imagine I’ll tune in to this too often.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Great for the kids and their family, but nobody else cares about some random precocious little darling getting to be on telly.
    As with nearly every format that gets a “junior” spinoff, I seriously doubt this will be good viewing. All the edge will be removed and it’ll probably be sickly sweet. No thanks.

Matafeo and Wozniak are good, but I can’t imagine I’ll tune in to this too often.

I'm going to give the first episode a look to see what's what but most junior formats lose the charm of the adult version. Which is a shame because Mike has the potential be an absolutely inspired choice as an assistant. I hope at least with Alex heavily involved it's not going to be awful. 
  • Options
    Agreed Re: Wozniak. A genuinely entertaining and likeable character.
  • Options
    This current season has been very good so far. 
    I’ve found myself starting to want Mae Martin to lose though. I don’t know why, I think it’s because she tries a bit too hard without being that funny. The rest of them seem to have embraced being shit. 😂
  • Options
    I've struggled to warm to Mae at all. All feels very try hard and they'd be a pretty weak addition to Champion of Champions that's got some big personalities. Frankie and Ivo seem to be in a contest for who can lose a task in the most ridiculous way. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frankie and Ivo might be my favourite team ever, they're just hilarious as a sort of odd couple.

"What did I just tell you not to do, you greedy bastard?!"

Mae has definitely been a but overmarked, getting the benefit of the doubt a few times, like a pineapple drawings and the throwing/drum task.  But who cares about the marking really as long as it's funny?  More controversial and more arguing about points the better really!
  • Options
    i like mae martin, but might be because i saw them at the four thieves in battersea a few years ago and they were hilarious.
  • Options
    I kind of feel the same about Mae Martin. They're obviously a funny person but you can tell the competitive edge is coming out and there's something uniquely wrong about watching people actually try to win at a task while thinking really hard about what the trick in it could be. I know that's the best way to do it if you want to win but the best tasks always involve people stumbling onto the solution accidentally or doing something absolutely deranged. Mae is funny in the bits inbetween tasks but I don't think they've actually ever been funny during one. Even Iain Stirling was funnier because while he was horrifically competitive to an uncomfortable degree he was also incompetent so it balanced out.
  • Options
    Kiell is easily my favourite in this season - he's just a big kid its so funny
    Especially when it goes against him and he looks likes he's going to have a tantrum
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    The Kiell and Alex relationship is hilarious. Reminds me a bit of Munya in the last series where you were just waiting for the slip up 
  • Options
    Agreed Re: Wozniak. A genuinely entertaining and likeable character.
    Saw Mike Wozniak live at Bloomsbury Theatre on Saturday. His latest stand up show (Zusa) was great. It's more story telling than pure stand up, but he is such a likeable performer it's impossible not to enjoy it.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    McBobbin said:
    Kiell is easily my favourite in this season - he's just a big kid its so funny
    Especially when it goes against him and he looks likes he's going to have a tantrum
    On the flip side to Mae, I feel like Greg is undermarking Kiell, because they've (absolutely correctly) decided it makes good TV to watch his little strops etc.
  • Options
    I like Mae. I think this series is working well because you've got the right mix of people and the way they interact with each other is brilliant, and Mae plays a part in that even if individually she's not the funniest.

Does anyone listen to the podcast? That's good fun
  • Options
    Every series needs one contestant who is actually trying to win. It can be very amusing when they’re also bad at the tasks, but Mae being actually competent shouldn’t really be held against them. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every series needs one contestant who is actually trying to win. It can be very amusing when they’re also bad at the tasks, but Mae being actually competent shouldn’t really be held against them. 
    We've had competitive contestants before, as well as competent ones but I think Mae is the first to be both. 

Not held against them but its weird to think that we've not really had this specific situation before.
  • Options
    Dara was like that, literally last series.

I don't think Mae has been overly competitive to be honest, just pretty bright in thinking of a way around things (drawing pineapples etc).  You need people to think outside of the box and try to get round the rules to make it more fun.
  • Options
    Dara was like that, literally last series.

I don't think Mae has been overly competitive to be honest, just pretty bright in thinking of a way around things (drawing pineapples etc).  You need people to think outside of the box and try to get round the rules to make it more fun.
    I did crack up when Mae was looking for the hidden pineapples, then rounded the corner at the end. Perfect editing with just the loud cry of exasperation
  • Options
    Last two series have been really strong, I think it helps the banter having them sat next to each other again. 

Love kiell, he’s been on the off menu pod recently and was really good on that. A naturally funny guy. 
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how they follow this series up - I thought the first couple of episodes were pretty weak but it's really found its groove.

Has anyone got anyone they'd especially want to see on the next series? 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Will be interesting to see how they follow this series up - I thought the first couple of episodes were pretty weak but it's really found its groove.

frankie boyle was one i wanted for a while, glad they got him this series. David mitchell is one but i've read he'd never do it. Maybe rob brydon 
  • Options
    Micky Flanagan would be fun
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

frankie boyle was one i wanted for a while, glad they got him this series. David mitchell is one but i've read he'd never do it. Maybe rob brydon 
    Rob Brydon's a good shout.
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Rob Brydon's a good shout.
    him trying to bullshit his way through the prize tasks would be hilarious.
  • Options
    I’d like to see Andy Zaltzman and John Robins, although the latter may be a bit too intense.