Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Evans to leave Radio 2

Comments

• I'm disappointed that Mayo is leaving the show, but it certainly changed when Jo joined him and sadly, despite liking her, the two didn't gel. They should have left well alone with Simon doing the Drive-time show and Jo following on with her evening show. Anyway whats done is done and now we have to see who's next, but if I had the choice it would be Sarah Cox, or bring back Richard Allinson (now on Magic, I think). Mark Goodier might be a shout or even Dermot O'leary who's weekend shows (Sat pm and Sat am) have been excellent. Smart money seems to be on Coxy at the moment though.
    Whatever the reasons behind him leaving I agree with him that whilst people may not have liked the new show, the 'vitriol' aimed at Jo was completely unnecessary and uncalled for...its a Radio show FFS!!!
  • Sara Cox will take over Drivetime. So the BBC have achieved what they set out to do - to replace Simon Mayo with a woman thus meaning both the going to and coming home shows are hosted by the fairer sex.
  • edited October 2018

Sara Cox will take over Drivetime. So the BBC have achieved what they set out to do - to replace Simon Mayo with a woman thus meaning both the going to and coming home shows are hosted by the fairer sex.

They haven't quite achieved what they wanted yet, that's one box ticked but others remain on the 7am-7pm weekday programming.
    Zoe and Sara get the two big show, great news. As an avid radio listener I couldn't be happier although even despite the Ginger Whinger going and I like Zoe I don't think I'll leave Rachel and Nicky in the mornings.
  • absolute madness.

The 2 Ronnies were years ahead of their time. Expect to see Diana Dors on her bike next.

gah !!!
  • Given that Chris Evans has started saying, 'Happy Christmas' to his guests today, the 29th of October, he can't go soon enough in my view.

Roll on Sarah and Zoe as far as I'm concerned. Both are very competent broadcasters and their appointment is little to do with their gender.
  • Given that Chris Evans has started saying, 'Happy Christmas' to his guests today, the 29th of October, he can't go soon enough in my view.

Roll on Sarah and Zoe as far as I'm concerned. Both are very competent broadcasters and their appointment is little to do with their gender.

More than competent but their gender has everything to do with their appointments, the BBC have already said as much.
  • Riviera said:

Given that Chris Evans has started saying, 'Happy Christmas' to his guests today, the 29th of October, he can't go soon enough in my view.

More than competent but their gender has everything to do with their appointments, the BBC have already said as much.
    Have they? Not seen that yet.

I totally agree that gender should pay no part. But the BBC decided to break up the very successful team involved in the Simon Mayo show by bringing in Jo Whiley - and the reaction of Mayo's loyal following of 6m was "why?" Because the BBC wanted more of a female presence as much to defuse the pay gap row as much as anything else. Having taken that stance it would have been seen as a backward step for them to then appoint a male presenter now - and a real kick in the teeth for Mayo who never wanted his show broken up in the first place.

• Riviera said:

Given that Chris Evans has started saying, 'Happy Christmas' to his guests today, the 29th of October, he can't go soon enough in my view.

Have they? Not seen that yet.
    They said they would address the gender pay gap. The two biggest shows in terms of listeners on Radio2 are Breakfast and Drivetime and therefore can attract the biggest salaries. I said they already said as much I didn't say it was a direct quote. They also received much criticism that there were no women on between 7am and 7pm, they have now addressed that and killed two birds (excuse the pun) with one stone as fortunately they had two women on the staff that are up to the job.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry Rob you're bang out of order there. So unfair to twats. Vine is a 24 carat, 100%, total and utter ****.
  • I've always hated that they call it drive time. Worse still when they shorten it to drive. I don't want to in on their marketing segmentation malarky - just make interesting programmes. If they are interesting for some particular reason then name it after that, if not just name it after the presenter.
  • Listened to Liza Tarbuck in the car earlier.
    She is good. She basically just reads out emails from listeners telling her what they're having for dinner in between music. That is it.

It's strangely enjoyable.
  • Listened to Liza Tarbuck in the car earlier.
    She is good. She basically just reads out emails from listeners telling her what they're having for dinner in between music. That is it.

It's strangely enjoyable.

She's great and plays some good tunes not on the Radio2 Playlist (which is getting more like Radio1 everyday!)
  • edited December 2018
    Last show today (Christmas Eve). From comments on here he’s bit of a marmite act! Personally like him and going to miss him. Good luck Chris.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46650778
  • why are you going to miss him ?
    Is he not still going to do a breakfast show ?
  • Former BBC Radio 2 DJ Simon Mayo is to lead the line-up on a new classical music radio station.

Mayo, who left his Radio 2 drivetime show just before Christmas, will host a mid-morning show on Scala Radio when it launches on 4 March.

The station will hope to win listeners from BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM.

Mayo said the digital station would be different to its rivals because "we're going all out to entertain, laugh with the listeners and have a good time".

The station's owners Bauer Media said Mayo's new show would include celebrity interviews, listener interaction and a classical version of the long-running Confessions feature from his Radio 1 and Radio 2 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46947959
  • clive said:

Former BBC Radio 2 DJ Simon Mayo is to lead the line-up on a new classical music radio station.

Mayo, who left his Radio 2 drivetime show just before Christmas, will host a mid-morning show on Scala Radio when it launches on 4 March.

The station will hope to win listeners from BBC Radio 3 and Classic FM.

Mayo said the digital station would be different to its rivals because "we're going all out to entertain, laugh with the listeners and have a good time".

The station's owners Bauer Media said Mayo's new show would include celebrity interviews, listener interaction and a classical version of the long-running Confessions feature from his Radio 1 and Radio 2 days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46947959

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The show and the station will bomb.
  • Evans first show today wasn’t it?
    How many of his old listeners moved to Virgin with him?
  • Sponsored links:

Couldn't tell you as I don't know anyone who listened to him on Radio2.

Gave it a try... very similar to the old show. Sounded nervous. Only on DAB and web - not FM or Freeview....

Not me. Firstly I don't have a DAB radio in my car, (when in the country I used to listen to him driving to work), secondly Zoe Ball is doing very well as his replacement and is different to Chris whose show, over the last few months, seem to become more about him, his family, pub and his marathon and half-marathon runs.
    Sarah Cox has done well as Mayo's replacement as well on Drivetime.
  • I used to not like cox and ball but now they are growing on me.
  • 42 Radio stations available on my Virgin Tivo Box.

Virgin radio is not one of them!
  • Thought I'd tune in this morning but Dave Berry was on Virgin this morning?

Ah yes. Absolute is not Virgin. Didn't even know Virgin was still going...and you can't get it anywhere.

Paycheck for Evans. Detested him on Radio 2. He was only any good when Danny Baker was writing his stuff.
    This will bomb before it's even started!
  • Thought I'd tune in this morning but Dave Berry was on Virgin this morning?

Ah yes. Absolute is not Virgin. Didn't even know Virgin was still going...and you can't get it anywhere.

Paycheck for Evans. Detested him on Radio 2. He was only any good when Danny Baker was writing his stuff.

Channel 0215 on Sky.
  • Riviera said:

Thought I'd tune in this morning but Dave Berry was on Virgin this morning?

Channel 0215 on Sky.
    Not got sky in my white van
  • More importantly, Lauren Laverne on 6Music breakfast is absolutely nailing it morning after morning.
  • Rothko said:

More importantly, Lauren Laverne on 6Music breakfast is absolutely nailing it morning after morning.

Which coincidentally is what I would love to do to Lauren Laverne.

Have had a huge crush on her for ages!