Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Evans to leave Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    Zoe Ball has been offered the gig and if she doesn’t take it then will be offered to Sara Cox.
    Really hope Zoe takes it as I like her a lot and also love Sara at 10pm.
  • Options
    Interesting piece about Evans in the current Private Eye. Wasn't aware he was investigated over the historical sexual assault allegations.

It also suggests that Matt Le Blanc gave a 'him or me' ultimatum to the Producers of Top Gear.

Big gamble by Virgin.
  • Options
    Are Radio 2 copying Radio 1, after a 20 year delay?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Radio_1_Breakfast_Show

On this basis, Cox will take over in 2020, and Moyles in 2024
  • Options
    Very happy with this for a few reasons, Zoe is very good, Sara Cox stays on at 10pm for her excellent show and the simply awful Fearne Cotton didn't get the gig. Don't think I'll change my morning radio routine though as I really like 5Live in the early morning. Rachel Burden and Nicky Campbell are excellent. I generally change to Radio2 for Ken at 9.30 but it will be nice to have the option of some early music radio for the first time in years.
  • Options
    Small print says Ball has 10 weeks off when Cox takes over. Cox awful, whining voice.
    We do not know the real reason. Why would Evans go to a station with a few listeners on a frequency you cannot find. If mid day or evening I could understand, cannot see why he wants those early mornings.
  • Options

Small print says Ball has 10 weeks off when Cox takes over. Cox awful, whining voice.
    We do not know the real reason. Why would Evans go to a station with a few listeners on a frequency you cannot find. If mid day or evening I could understand, cannot see why he wants those early mornings.

Evans has been quite clear why he is leaving, the publication of his BBC salary.
  • Options
    I've had a deep, somewhat irrational loathing of Zoe Ball for years. Probably not helped by the picture below...

• Options

I've had a deep, somewhat irrational loathing of Zoe Ball for years. Probably not helped by the picture below...

Is the No.8 that bothers you? Top bird! The original Ladette.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Is the No.8 that bothers you? Top bird! The original Ladette.
    If I remember rightly this was on the morning of her wedding and was such a pathetic attempt at showing "what a crazy ladette I am".

She may be a great presenter these days, she's just never on my TV or radio long enough for me to find out.
  • Options
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/7421033/simon-mayo-furious-jo-whiley/
    SIMON Mayo is in talks to quit BBC Radio 2 because he is furious about being lumbered with Jo Whiley on his drivetime show by PC bosses.

The Sun can reveal the star DJ is negotiating with Global Radio about joining easy listening station Smooth Radio in a mega money deal.

• Options
    I'm not surprised about Mayo. The drivetime show hasn't been the same and Whiley joining hasn't added anything that wasn't there already.

Does this necessity to be PC mean that Zoe Ball will now have to have a male co-host for the breakfast show?
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised about Simon Mayo either - it seems obvious he had a very good relationship with his old 'team' and preferred his own show as it was.

So he can either put up with a show he enjoys less, or recreate the old fornat/personnel elsewhere and I can see him doing the latter.
  • Options
    Can’t stand Jo Whiney.
  • Options
    Wiley, Cox, Ball......no desire to listen to any of them at all, can't stand them
  • Options

Riviera said:

Don’t particularly like his style but a great broadcaster who has filled the shoes of Wogan well with great ratings. Will be missed by the BBC.

Going to Virgin, new challenge I thought. Until, on the news I learned it’s owned by Murdoch.

How has he filled Wogan's shoes? How many Wogan listeners left Radio2 eight years ago? The ratings don't tell us that. He gets 9m listeners because 67% of the adult population wake up to radio and Radio2 is the most listened to radio station.
    He is not a great broadcaster. He is a self centered, loud mouthed, egotistical, sycophantic, obsequious bully.
    He filled Wogan's shoes by increasing the audience to 9 million, Wogan was hovering around 8 million during his last year. I have to disagree with a lot of you, in my view Evans is just that, a great broadcaster who will have a large number of people tuning into a DAB only station just to listen. He is also a great fundraiser for Children in Need and his fundraising efforts alone outstrip that of all the other Radio 1 and 2 presenters combined. I have a former colleague who worked at a senior level in Children in Need and she reckoned that his ideas and fundraising transformed the charity whilst she was there. The auction items that he persuaded many people to give and the auction items that he donated from his own pocket raised millions, The CarFest which he established as a concept. This weekend he is running people down the Goodwood Revival meeting and driving the bus himself.
    He is driven, hard working and an ideas man, if you cannot see that try and raise an equivalent amount of money for charity. He did not come from money and worked his way up humble beginnings. Branson and Murdoch may be a lot of things I personally do not like but they are both bright enough to recognise real talent.

It is undoubtedly the politically correct brigade that have made his life a misery at the BBC, because he is a white male presenter earning a lot of money. Having his salary published is not something he signed up for when he joined and will not be an issue when he joins Virgin unless he also takes on a directorship. I am not against improving gender and racial diversity and have fought for this in business but we have to recognise that the best usually get paid the most and he is in the league of the best.
    Completely agree with this. A first class broadcaster but his card was marked ever since the whole published salaries/BBC is sexist thing. Presumably why Simon Mayo got lumbered with Jo Whiley who in her first interview said how she was getting the same money as Mayo. For the record I also really like Danny Baker, the only thing I don't like is his choice of football team but because Im not still at school I can look past that.
  • Options
    Ezra Konsa, Brentford's homegrown England U21 player.
  • Options
    drewman said:

Ezra Konsa, Brentford's homegrown England U21 player.

Is Konsa taking over the drivetime show?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Wiley, Cox, Ball......no desire to listen to any of them at all, can't stand them

Looks like the 2 Ronnies were right after all......although I could do without Diana Dors in tight leather trousers.

• Options

Freedom of choice is your friend
  • Options
    clive said:

SIMON Mayo is in talks to quit BBC Radio 2 because he is furious about being lumbered with Jo Whiley on his drivetime show by PC bosses.

The Sun can reveal the star DJ is negotiating with Global Radio about joining easy listening station Smooth Radio in a mega money deal.

I wondered why Whiley was suddenly on Mayo's show. Couldn't see the point.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

clive said:

I wondered why Whiley was suddenly on Mayo's show. Couldn't see the point.
    Pure tokenism. He had a very good (and successful) show beforehand, there was no other reason to change it.
  • Options
    Mayo and Whiley to leave drive time
  • Options
    Whether they’re good friends or not, the two had zero on air chemistry. Was just a weird decision to put them two together
  • Options
    Perhaps Johnny Walker would come back to Drive Time. He was very popular.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Mayo and Whiley to leave drive time

Mayo is leaving BBC Radio 2 altogether but will continue to present his 5 Live film show with Mark Kermode.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45938829
  • Options
    BBC News understands Mayo will not be moving to a rival broadcaster, despite some media reports suggesting he was leaving to host a breakfast show on a commercial station.

Whiley's addition to the show came after Radio 2 was criticised for its lack of female presenters.

Mayo wrote on Twitter on Monday morning: "I'll continue with the (flagship) film show on 5 Live with Mark Kermode and, beyond that, other radio adventures beckon!
    Seems a bit contradictory.

He'll turn up on another station I'm sure.
  • Options
    All so unnecessary. Mayo had a great Drivetime show and Whiley had a good evening music show. Neither needed to be changed but the Dark Lord Boxticker at the BBC had his way. Mayo and Whiley may well be good friends but they just didn't gel. Neither of them needed a co-presenter. Now Radio2 have lost Mayo, for now at least. I'm sure he'll still takeover from King Ken when he hangs up his headphones