Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic Champions Already??

Comments

• Options
    Quite ironic that Rangers have single handedly boosted Scotland's coefficient ranking in recent seasons........and it's Celtic that benefit and take Scotland's automatic CL spot.
    I believe Celtic get to the groups due to the situation in Russia and this year's CL winner qualifying via their league and not due to Ranger's brilliance. If Rangers had won the penalties they would have made the groups too. 
  • Options
    Quite ironic that Rangers have single handedly boosted Scotland's coefficient ranking in recent seasons........and it's Celtic that benefit and take Scotland's automatic CL spot.
    I believe Celtic get to the groups due to the situation in Russia and this year's CL winner qualifying via their league and not due to Ranger's brilliance. If Rangers had won the penalties they would have made the groups too. 
    Yes, would have been amongst top seeds in group 1 with Madrid, Bayern, Milan etc 
  • Options
    Well yes it is because of Russia but Scotland got to be the next best placed league because of Rangers performances in Europe boosting the countries coefficient ranking.
  • Options
    Seeing as the results are taken for the last 5 years in Europe, it’s isn’t just down to rangers, they have helped.
  • Options
    Congratulations to Rangers on winning the Scottish Cup.

Sure it won't make up for losing on Wednesday but a trophy is a trophy and first time since 2009.
  • Options
    Shame for @cafcdave123 though. I thought Rangers might have been spent after mid week and Hearts nick it.
  • Options
    Hope you had a great weekend Dave, shame about the result.
  • Options
    It was a pretty terrible game truth be told and Aribo missed a couple of good chances. Hearts had a player (John Souttar) in defence who has already signed a contract to play for Rangers next season which must have been a bit weird. 

The bulk of this Rangers team has been together for a few years now and have grown into a really decent side. It’s great that they can go out on a high with some silverware to show for this season. Let’s see what comes next year, but I’m a bit concerned that this transfer window could be a tough one for Rangers fans. 
  • Options
    Do you think the likes of Bassey and Aribo will be sold?

I'm more worried that if Ange has another good season, especially if he can get Celtic to finally perform away from home in Europe, he'll be off.
  • Options
    Do you think the likes of Bassey and Aribo will be sold?

I'm more worried that if Ange has another good season, especially if he can get Celtic to finally perform away from home in Europe, he'll be off.
    I think Aribo and Kent will be sold, Morelos too most likely. Goldson is now a free agent (turned down a new contract). McGregor, Davis and possibly Arfield will likely leave/retire.

Hopefully Bassey will stay, it seemed to be going under the radar just what a good player he’s turned into until the last few weeks when people outside of Scotland seem to have realised. Now he’s probably in the Aribo/Kent bracket of waiting to see if a semi decent offer comes in. The truth is that Rangers not getting guaranteed Champions League football means cloth will need to be cut and that means those “semi decent” offers don’t need to be as decent as they otherwise would have been. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Re the coefficient- did rangers failing in the champions league but then Getting to the final of europa mean they earn Scotland more ranking points than if they were knocked out in first champions league stage that doesn’t drop into the Europa league ? 

Hope that makes sense 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Re the coefficient- did rangers failing in the champions league but then Getting to the final of europa mean they earn Scotland more ranking points than if they were knocked out in first champions league stage that doesn’t drop into the Europa league ? 

Hope that makes sense 
    Not too sure. Either way Rangers’ success in the last two years has ultimately benefitted Celtic who now go straight to the Champions League group stages, and the riches that entails (especially in a country where domestic TV rights generate a fraction of what we’re used to in England) whilst Rangers need to qualify (which is no easy task). That’s difficult to take, but those are the rules. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 
    Not too sure. Either way Rangers’ success in the last two years has ultimately benefitted Celtic who now go straight to the Champions League group stages, and the riches that entails (especially in a country where domestic TV rights generate a fraction of what we’re used to in England) whilst Rangers need to qualify (which is no easy task). That’s difficult to take, but those are the rules. 
    I don't have sympathy for them.

Some of that deficit can be offset by selling Aribo for a big fee to the PL.A player they paid hardly anything for and didn't even give Charlton a resale clause.

But as you say that's difficult to take, but those are the rules.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

Some of that deficit can be offset by selling Aribo for a big fee to the PL.A player they paid hardly anything for and didn't even give Charlton a resale clause.

Why would they, or any club give a resale clause when a player signs as a free agent?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

Quite. 
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

Why would they, or any club give a resale clause when a player signs as a free agent?
    I am not saying that they would. If Aribo had signed for an English club, Charlton would have got a compensation fee as he was Under 23.

So I was responding to a comment complaining that Celtic would pocket a lot of money due to 'Rangers success in the last two years' being 'difficult to take'.

For me Charlton not being compensated at all for Aribo was difficult to take. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

I am not saying that they would. If Aribo had signed for an English club, Charlton would have got a compensation fee as he was Under 23.

So I was responding to a comment complaining that Celtic would pocket a lot of money due to 'Rangers success in the last two years' being 'difficult to take'.

“complaining”? I thought I was doing the opposite…
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

Of course it’s difficult to take, I didn’t like it, despite him signing for Rangers, he was worth at least a 2-3M fee IMO, but as you said, thems the rules.
    As for the coefficient, its still great for all Scottish clubs, and despite others benefitting initially, Rangers kudos, attractiveness to players and sponsorship deals are high currently, still a win. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    MrOneLung said:

Hope that makes sense 

“complaining”? I thought I was doing the opposite…
    Good. 

My point is that I have more frustration about Aribo leaving without compensation than Rangers exploits in Europe benefiting Celtic financially. I am a Charlton fan after all. 

With Gomez and Pope we at least got 7 figure fees and resale clauses. Rangers stole Joe from us but as you say they are the rules. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Quadruples, or even quintuples, aren't for everyone 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter Vickers signing a 4 year deal is great news for Celtic. Very important in their success last year. 
  • Options
    UEFA Super Cup final last night Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt. Rangers just a missed penalty away.
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:
    UEFA Super Cup final last night Real Madrid v Eintracht Frankfurt. Rangers just a missed penalty away.
    Was also the final of the 1960 European Cup at Hampden which was an important game in Scottish History. Alex Fergusson was in attendance.
  • Options
    Poor from Celtic. Struggled to beat 9 man Hearts.

Won't win the league playing like that.