Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic Champions Already??

Comments

• Options
    Indeed, a grand total of 1 (one) English caps have been given to Celtic players in their history, whereas Rangers had regular players in the English national team which caught my attention. 
    Interestingly there has actually been two and the most recent Fraser Forster was within the last ten years which is much more recent than Rangers. 

And the Rangers figure..... 7 all from the 1980's and 90's. Hardly 'regular'. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Indeed, a grand total of 1 (one) English caps have been given to Celtic players in their history, whereas Rangers had regular players in the English national team which caught my attention. 
    Only after Souness and the European ban in the 80's. That was due to money  and European football rather than any other reason. I don't think there have been any this last 20 years. 

Before English clubs got banned from Europe neither team had English players.

One of Celtic's greatest achievements was winning the European Cup including 3 protestants with a team which was born within 12 miles of the Stadium. For a Scottish (not English) club that is really impressive. 
    Great post mate.
    Thanks.

My real love in Scotland is one of Cowdenbeath's local rivals the mighty Raith Rovers. 

I prefer Celtic to Rangers mostly because when I visited both grounds their fans were friendlier and as a kid I had a football statue of Jimmy Johnstone who I saw play at the Valley for Sheffield United.

Most Rangers fans seemed to be extremely sectarian and support Chelsea and Linfield as the 'Blues Brothers'although some try to extend that to other English teams including us.
    Been to Starks Park on many occasions, close to the town centre, Mrs did her shopping and i trundled off to the match.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Interestingly there has actually been two and the most recent Fraser Forster was within the last ten years which is much more recent than Rangers. 

Alan Thompson - 60 minutes in a friendly.
    Forster - 105 minutes in 2 friendlies.

The Rangers figure is over 100 caps.
  • Options

Richard J said:

Alan Thompson - 60 minutes in a friendly.
    Forster - 105 minutes in 2 friendlies.

The Rangers figure is over 100 caps. players. 

None in this millennium. Forster was less than ten years ago. So Celtic have a more recent England Cap. 
  • Options
    You do realise it isn't Celtic FC who decide who plays for England.

Regardless Richard J is correct.

Most recent old firm England player was a Bhoy and it has been two, not one.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Only after Souness and the European ban in the 80's. That was due to money  and European football rather than any other reason. I don't think there have been any this last 20 years. 

Before English clubs got banned from Europe neither team had English players.

One of Celtic's greatest achievements was winning the European Cup including 3 protestants with a team which was born within 12 miles of the Stadium. For a Scottish (not English) club that is really impressive. 
    I was replying to a previous comment about how Rangers had a load of regular England players when we were kids (we must be a similar age) but fair play for some how getting the Lisbon lions in to the conversation! Had a chuckle at 'one of' as if anything else they achieved is comparable!

During that time Rangers were the best side in Britain and afterwards Celtic had Larsson playing for them. How things quickly changed, I can't see them returning.
  • Options
    If an Englishman is playing for Rangers or Celtic he shouldn’t be anywhere near the national team and long may it continue. We need our national players playing Premier League and Champions League football.
    Like Chris Powell's 5 caps, things used to be a lot different! Can't see Scottish football even returning to those heights, billionaires will only be interested in the top 5 European leagues and the likes of the USA.
  • Options
    If an Englishman is playing for Rangers or Celtic he shouldn’t be anywhere near the national team and long may it continue. We need our national players playing Premier League and Champions League football.
    There’s a currently a player from England who plays for Rangers + at international level! 
  • Options
    Currently tearing Motherwell a new one, 3 0 up. Lovely goal for their 3rd. 

Never really been that interested in Scottish football but have watched a few games this season and enjoyed them.

Still can’t get my head around English people getting worked up about the whole Celtic/Rangers thing though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Never really been that interested in Scottish football but have watched a few games this season and enjoyed them.

Still can’t get my head around English people getting worked up about the whole Celtic/Rangers thing though.

Neither can I.

People should just stick to the important stuff and talk about Ross County.
  • Options
    edited May 2022

There are lots of people who have them as their second teams. Celtic were my first football team, even though I lived in Kent,  then got taken to Charlton and that was that.

I think most of us have a preference of big city teams ie utd or city. 

As a side issue, I also follow Cowdenbeath who bar a miracle will get relegated the day the mightly Celts get the championship trophy. At least that will please one poster.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    There’s a currently a player from England who plays for Rangers + at international level! 
    What?
  • Options
    I can't get my head around people who keep posting on this thread saying it's strange people are interested in Scottish football.
  • Options
    I can't get my head around people who keep posting on this thread saying it's strange people are interested in Scottish football.
    Can understand people being interested in it and having a favourite team but it's all the sniping and arguing about it I don't get.
  • Options
    Can understand people being interested in it and having a favourite team but it's all the sniping and arguing about it I don't get.
    Exactly. We had a serie A thread on here which was fine. This should be no different.
  • Options
    Don't go near the political threads mate.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 
  • Options
    That’s basically the point of Scottish football! 
  • Options
    Don't go near the political threads mate.
    Agree with that unless you run with the pack.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well you will never steal me away from The Sons of The Rock, Dumbarton.

I follow underperforming football teams... well obviously!
  • Options
    Well you will never steal me away from The Sons of The Rock, Dumbarton.

I follow underperforming football teams... well obviously!
    Had a great striker called Gerry mcabe when I lived up there.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 
    Internationally Aribo plays for Nigeria. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 
    Yes i think we're all aware of that, but i'm sure we're also all aware he was born and raised in London. 

SE9 said "a player from England".
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 
    Yes i think we're all aware of that, but i'm sure we're also all aware he was born and raised in London. 

It wasn't me that started the narrative about England Internationals. What point were people trying to make?

Both of the Old Firm have fielded English players since the 80's. Ex Addick Paul Elliott was in Glasgow's green side when Butcher and co were at Ibrox . Celtic's current Keeper Joe Hart has 75 England Caps. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 

If an Englishman is playing for Rangers or Celtic he shouldn’t be anywhere near the national team”

The national team = England. Fair to say I didn’t mean Nigeria!
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 

It wasn't me that started the narrative about England Internationals. What point were people trying to make?

Both of the Old Firm have fielded English players since the 80's. Ex Addick Paul Elliott was in Glasgow's green side when Butcher and co were at Ibrox . Celtic's current Keeper Joe Hart has 75 England Caps. 
    The 'narrative' was simply that a couple of people (myself included) said we chose Rangers because when we were kids growing up they signed a few England players.

I'm not sure there was any other point made or why you mentioning 2 Celtic players who played for England about 25 years after that have anything to do with it.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 

The 'narrative' was simply that a couple of people (myself included) said we chose Rangers because when we were kids growing up they signed a few England players.

I'm not sure there was any other point made or why you mentioning 2 Celtic players who played for England about 25 years after that have anything to do with it.
    Okay. Other posters compared the respective clubs in terms of England Internationals and infer that  Celtic are anti English. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    What?
    I assume he means Aribo. 

Okay. Other posters compared the respective clubs in terms of England Internationals and infer that  Celtic are anti English. 

WTF?