Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Europa League 2018/2019

Comments

• As things stand they’ll be dancing in the streets of Red Bull
    Both teams going through from the same group

And 3 seconds later. Rosenberg score to send Celtic 2nd
    Hoping Viktoria draw Celtic, although most Viktoria fans would hope for Arsenal and the chance to welcome Petr Cech home.

Plzen and Celtic are both unseeded for the next round, so cant be drawn together.

12 teams that top the groups are seeded along with the best 4 of the 8 teams from the CL (based on points from their own groups)
    Other 4 are unseeded along with the 12 teams that finished 2nd in Europa League groups.

Following rounds are not seeded. Just the first knockout round.
  • Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
    Lazio v Sevilla
    Malmo v Chelsea
    BATE v Arsenal
    Celtic v Valencia
  • Cheers for that
  • Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
    Lazio v Sevilla
    Malmo v Chelsea
    BATE v Arsenal
    Celtic v Valencia

Hmm. Bit of a pig, that. Dinamo came top, unbeaten, from a group that in EL terms had no real weak team.

• chelse and arsenal through pretty easily.

celtic will struggle.
  • Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
    Lazio v Sevilla
    Malmo v Chelsea
    BATE v Arsenal
    Celtic v Valencia

Hmm. Bit of a pig, that. Dinamo came top, unbeaten, from a group that in EL terms had no real weak team.

You say that and on paper I would agree but the teams in there group were not brilliant

Anderlecht-sitting 4th in Belgium with only 2 wins since end of October

Trnava-sitting 8th out of 12 in the Slovakian league

Fenerbache-who surprisingly are 2nd bottom in the turkish league.

So on paper 3 tough teams but in reality only Anderlecht are doing half decent this season.

Zagreb themselves are 11 points clear at the top and have only lost twice in all comps this season(young boys in Champions League and Rijeka in the league) so it will be a tough match
  • Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
    Lazio v Sevilla
    Malmo v Chelsea
    BATE v Arsenal
    Celtic v Valencia

You say that and on paper I would agree but the teams in there group were not brilliant

So on paper 3 tough teams but in reality only Anderlecht are doing half decent this season.

Zagreb themselves are 11 points clear at the top and have only lost twice in all comps this season(young boys in Champions League and Rijeka in the league) so it will be a tough match
    Thanks Paulie, didn't know any of that, it's more reassuring. It is looking more and more like a mirror image of the game at this stage last season - Partizan Belgrade. Dinamo are another Slavic team (whose style and temperament Viktoria understand well), similar financial resources, bringing a lot of fans without tickets who try to look menacing on the streets and wonder why nobody is taking any notice of them.

Bring it on! Love my Euro nights in Plzen.

• Plzen v Dinamo Zagreb
    Lazio v Sevilla
    Malmo v Chelsea
    BATE v Arsenal
    Celtic v Valencia

Thanks Paulie, didn't know any of that, it's more reassuring. It is looking more and more like a mirror image of the game at this stage last season - Partizan Belgrade. Dinamo are another Slavic team (whose style and temperament Viktoria understand well), similar financial resources, bringing a lot of fans without tickets who try to look menacing on the streets and wonder why nobody is taking any notice of them.

Bring it on! Love my Euro nights in Plzen.

I couldnt believe it when I saw Fenerbache 2nd bottom in the Turkish league.

I wonder what has happened there
  • edited February 2019
    Rob Holding
    Danny Welbeck
    Hector Bellerin
    All out for the rest of the season

All named in Arsenals squad for the Europa League knockout stages due to a lack of Homegrown players available
  • Ron Holding
    Danny Welbeck
    Hector Bellerin

All named in Arsenals squad for the Europa League knockout stages due to a lack of Homegrown players available

Its amazing how many of the big boys are really struggling for home grown players.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnBoyUK said:

Ron Holding
    Danny Welbeck
    Hector Bellerin

Its amazing how many of the big boys are really struggling for home grown players.
    Yet not really surprising.
  • Hoping for another great night in Plzen tonight. Tickets, hotel, pub, weather, all sorted. 

Just a bit nervous that Viktoria are at home first. Reminding myself that they are nevertheless a very good away team. But deffo want to go to Zagreb with a lead.
  • trouble in rome last night apparently a brit was involved, napoli vs sevilla is the fixture
  • Arsenal gone strong tonight
  • Well, who expected that at HT
  • Wenger was clearly the problem.
  • Arsenal and Chelsea really need the Europa League this season.

Think United will get top 4 so A&C need to win to get Champions League
  • Not an epic night in Plzen, everyone actually surprised that we are ahead in the tie. Viktoria have new players signed in the Jan window who are still fitting in, whereas Dinamo are a young and well organised team who had done their homework, had three up front pressing Viktoria's ageing defenders, and deservedly led at half time. They have a 20 year old Spanish midfielder called Daniel Olmo who ran the the half, but somehow Viktoria pulled themselves together, two nicely taken goals from central defender Lukas Pernica. Not sure about the second leg, though, Viktoria looked like a rebuilding work in progress tonight. But the beer? Top notch as always.
  • arsenal lose to a belarus side that havent played since the middle of december, blaming the pitch and injuries/squad depth. 

spurs the night before beat the potential bundesliga champions. 

wont be that easy for arsenal to progress they only had 3 shots on target yesterday
  • Sponsored links:

• arsenal lose to a belarus side that havent played since the middle of december, blaming the pitch and injuries/squad depth. 

wont be that easy for arsenal to progress they only had 3 shots on target yesterday
    Lets not get too carried away, the Woolwich should have far too much for them back in London.  Fully expect them to win by 2 or 3.
  • Stopped for coffee on the motorway back from Plzen this glorious sunny morning. Parked next to a minvan full of Dinamo fans. Its about 8-9 hours to Zagreb, but motorway all the way. They had the good sense to stay overnight in Plzen, and between 7 of them it doesnt cost too much. Grand awayday, Euro-style. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    arsenal lose to a belarus side that havent played since the middle of december, blaming the pitch and injuries/squad depth. 

Lets not get too carried away, the Woolwich should have far too much for them back in London.  Fully expect them to win by 2 or 3.
    not the point its the fact they had a pretty strong side out and played shit, koscelieny straight off the pitch afterwards not even bothering to thank the fans.
  • I've watched BATE Borisov more times than I'd wish, since Viktoria kept drawing them. I wouldn't underestimate what awkward customers they are on their mysterious home patch, which among other things is bloody difficult to scout in person. Hands up all those who've been to Belarus? But I'm sure "the Woolwich" (love that) will see them off.
  • Got the beers in for tonight, but will need a good stream for Dinamo Zagreb vs Viktoria, as Czech TV have adopted for Genk-Slavia, having shown Viktoria last week. Any tips appreciated.

Apparently the Dinamo stadium is sold out for tonight, as was Partizan Belgrade this time last season. Again it shows that in some countries, the Europa League means something. 

Viktoria won't be intimidated though, big away stadia don't seem to bother them. They mugged CSKA in front of 55,000 furious Muscovites to get here. All that said, we don't want to give away an early goal. Or indeed any goal at all :-)
  • Well that went well :-( 

second best throughout the first half. Mind you that was the case last week too. 
  • edited February 2019
    Only need one second half goal to force extra time!
  • Over ten thousand Celtic fans in Valencia tonight according to news here.
  • Over ten thousand Celtic fans in Valencia tonight according to news here.
    Decent result for them too tbf
  • edited February 2019
    I know they all think they are above Thursday night football but the Arsenal & Chelsea support has been an embarrassment so far tonight.