Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liam Gallagher on Charlton

Comments

• Options
    I loved pretty much all the britpop bands of the early 90's but the first couple of Oasis singles didn't really do it for me, wasn't till I saw them at the Venue song the time of live forever that I "got it" but Nirvana will always be the band that "spoke" to that generation for me.
    Supersonic didn't do it for you?! You psychopath! 

Nirvana, I get due to their lyrics people feeling a connection, I have to be honest whilst I could recite the lyrics the age I was when Nirvana released Nevermind I didnt have a clue what Lithium was or why he was so, so miserable. I do not but I didnt fully understand the eagerness by a lot of people my age to embrace the misery at that age 
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I loved pretty much all the britpop bands of the early 90's but the first couple of Oasis singles didn't really do it for me, wasn't till I saw them at the Venue song the time of live forever that I "got it" but Nirvana will always be the band that "spoke" to that generation for me.
    Supersonic didn't do it for you?! You psychopath! 

Nirvana, I get due to their lyrics people feeling a connection, I have to be honest whilst I could recite the lyrics the age I was when Nirvana released Nevermind I didnt have a clue what Lithium was or why he was so, so miserable. I do not but I didnt fully understand the eagerness by a lot of people my age to embrace the misery at that age 
    Think, like a lot of things that become popular amongst young people, it was because nirvana and the grunge scene that emerged from Seattle was so completely at odds with rock music that was around at the time and very fresh. It was still leather pants and incredible luscious long hair, long guitar solos and a lot of camp thrown in. Nirvana looked like 3 ordinary, bored young guys just taking their frustrations out on a guitar, bass and drum set and sounded very different and very fresh. Add to that general teenage angst - there’s a reason why a lot of teenagers “discover” nirvana to this day. 
  • Options
    Oh mate being objective I get it in hindsight, at the time I was after something a bit more exciting. Oasis and the prodigy gave me that. 

Nevermind remains a classic and I'm not to proud to say its a classic I was a couple of years late to as it passed me by the first time. 

• Options
    Wasn't much to get excited about in the early nineties except a bit of baggy/Madchester, Carter's namesake and Jesus Jones. All good music but not exactly something to grab you like nirvana... The Smells Like Teen Spirit MTV video was everywhere, that wasn't really a thing in the 80s. Blur came along as the antidote to American rock saying they were going to do their own British thing. Oasis and Pulp did the same but in their own way
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Wasn't much to get excited about in the early nineties except a bit of baggy/Madchester, Carter's namesake and Jesus Jones. All good music but not exactly something to grab you like nirvana... The Smells Like Teen Spirit MTV video was everywhere, that wasn't really a thing in the 80s. Blur came along as the antidote to American rock saying they were going to do their own British thing. Oasis and Pulp did the same but in their own way

No Neil Young equals no Nirvana, no Pearl Jam et al. :)
  • Options
    Oh aye, and doubt oasis would have got anyway without the Beatles and stone roses. All roads lead back to jazz, blues and country and western etc. Love a bit of reinvention, and have to admit I'm not seeing a lot of that now (though genres are so fractured at the extremes and vanilla in the middle, I'm probably looking in the wrong place)
  • Options
    @Carter Im currently watching Carter sing Rubbish on BBC4 (TOTP92) 
  • Options
    When The Streets album came a good friend of mine was working as a music journalist for the now long gone play loader website and he gave me his advance copy as I’d got into them/him since I heard ‘Has it come to this?’ on the Stanton Warriors mix cd. I remember going to Ireland for St Patrick’s day the day after and listening to it on repeat for four days. 

Skinner’s stuff still holds up so well after all these years, loved the DOT stuff he did with Rob Harvey as well. 
  • Options
    I've got 2x tickets for Liam Gallagher at Knebworth House on Friday 2rd June that I unfortunately need to sell. I'm after £150 for the pair which is my cost, they are double that on some reselling sites. 

DM me if you're interested 🤟
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As an aside, to what extent is musical skill and virtuosity an influence on what is wonderful; disassociated from voices, or words?
    A bit like classical symphonies and the like.
    For example I think ‘Won’t get fooled again’ was the attitude song for my generation (probably the greatest vinyl single ever👍🏿), but there was a thirst for great instrument players, great riffs, tunes, solo’s and melodies amongst the various ‘messages’.
    In the end, most young people who are cool and give us a viewpoint turn out to be rather shallow and dickheads.
    For example John Lennon singing ‘imagine no possessions’. Do me a favour, his life dripped with luxury.
    Yes, of course Lennon did have bundles but apart from traveling first class and some nice gaffs (both of which he more or less had to do anyway for security reasons), he didn’t really live a life of luxury in the true sense of the word.
    He in fact lived a fairly frugal life considering his vast wealth.
    I don’t think he was that interested in wealth or possessions as such and would quite likely have been just as happy to have lived a far more ‘man in the street’ lifestyle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2022
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    As an aside, to what extent is musical skill and virtuosity an influence on what is wonderful; disassociated from voices, or words?
    A bit like classical symphonies and the like.
    For example I think ‘Won’t get fooled again’ was the attitude song for my generation (probably the greatest vinyl single ever👍🏿), but there was a thirst for great instrument players, great riffs, tunes, solo’s and melodies amongst the various ‘messages’.
    In the end, most young people who are cool and give us a viewpoint turn out to be rather shallow and dickheads.
    For example John Lennon singing ‘imagine no possessions’. Do me a favour, his life dripped with luxury.
    Yes, of course Lennon did have bundles but apart from traveling first class and some nice gaffs (both of which he more or less had to do anyway for security reasons), he didn’t really live a life of luxury in the true sense of the word.
    He in fact lived a fairly frugal life considering his vast wealth.
    I don’t think he was that interested in wealth or possessions as such and would quite likely have been just as happy to have lived a far more ‘man in the street’ lifestyle.

Lennon had mansions, ferraris and rolls royces!   If that's a frugal lifestyle then the rest of us must live in absolute poverty. 
    Very true….as a young man he did the full on rock star trip, which was kind of expected of him.
    However, he eventually became somewhat disillusioned with the trappings of wealth and cut back dramatically on the crazy excesses for a more relaxed and frugal lifestyle.
  • Options
    Yeah i deleted my post Soundas as i realise i probably didn't know enough about it.
  • Options
    Yeah i deleted my post Soundas as i realise i probably didn't know enough about it.
    👍
  • Options
    I don't know if this is an Urban Myth or not but Julie Burchill wrote this in 2000:

But when Lennon wanted to turn back, he was too afraid of losing face. Instead, he swaddled himself in ("Imagine no . . .") possessions; at the height of their swinishness, the Ono-Lennons kept a whole apartment in the Dakota building, just below the one they lived in, for the exclusive occupation of their fur coats - just to keep them at the right temperature. Forget sex and drugs; that's probably the most decadent, vile pop star antic I've ever come across in my life.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don't know if this is an Urban Myth or not but Julie Burchill wrote this in 2000:

But when Lennon wanted to turn back, he was too afraid of losing face. Instead, he swaddled himself in ("Imagine no . . .") possessions; at the height of their swinishness, the Ono-Lennons kept a whole apartment in the Dakota building, just below the one they lived in, for the exclusive occupation of their fur coats - just to keep them at the right temperature. Forget sex and drugs; that's probably the most decadent, vile pop star antic I've ever come across in my life.
    If you believe that you’ll believe anything! 🙄
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    I used to think the stones were a bit boring but listened to a live version of gimme shelter the other day, fantastic song. The girl who does the vocals is brilliant.
     only decent song and Mick is'nt even the main singer. 
    Yeah, only decent 

Apart from:

Moonlight Mile
    Midnight Rambler
    Faraway Eyes
    Wild Horses
    Bitch
    Happy
    Radiator Blues
    Beast of Burden
    Fool to Cry
    undercover of the night
    She’s a rainbow
    Sister Morphine
    Cant you hear me knocking
    Sympathy for the fucking devil

yeah they’re shit mate

terrible band

THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD

The Beatles are way behind them.

in in terms of 60s bands I’d put the Kinks, Who and Small Faces in front of those loveable mop tops 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    SamB09 said:
    I used to think the stones were a bit boring but listened to a live version of gimme shelter the other day, fantastic song. The girl who does the vocals is brilliant.
    Merry Clayton I believe……often mistakenly called Mary Clayton.
  • Options
    SamB09 said:
    Yeah, only decent 

Apart from:

Moonlight Mile
    Midnight Rambler
    Faraway Eyes
    Wild Horses
    Bitch
    Happy
    Radiator Blues
    Beast of Burden
    Fool to Cry
    undercover of the night
    She’s a rainbow
    Sister Morphine

yeah they’re shit mate

terrible band

in in terms of 60s bands I’d put the Kinks, Who and Small Faces in front of those loveable mop tops 
    You can’t always get what you want
    Street fighting man
    Living cup
    waiting on a friend
    sweet virginia

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    HandG said:
    cafctom said:
    The documentary film about the Knebworth gig is absolutely superb.
    I got at least two seconds of devoted screen time in that film. I got extremely excited seeing myself at the cinema but rather disappointed that I looked so bloody miserable! 17 years old, out with my mates on the beer at a massive gig and I was head in hands looking like I was about to cry. 

I think I was a bit disappointed that it wasn’t a patch on Earls Court the year before which remains the best gig I’ve ever been to. Anyone else who was at either of those nights in November 95 would agree I’m sure….
    I went to the Knebworth gig and was massively disappointed. You couldn’t get near the stage as there was a huge VIP area at the front. The huge screens were out of sync with the little dots (the band) in the distance. The atmosphere was pretty flat and we left early. My brother went to a gig on their previous tour at medium size venues and said it was epic.
    It wasn't a massive VIP area at the front, as I was in there & I am not a VIP. Its just something they do at large gigs, the first 100-200 people in, get to go in there & it stops people getting crushed, I think that's what it is for any way. But yeah I get your point about the atmosphere, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't a patch on the two nights I did at Maine Road the year before. Then in '97 I saw them in Lille/France, that was an amazing atmosphere as it was mainly Brits who had gone over. Although Liam was hammered & at various points during the gig destroyed the 'Be Here Now' stage props. Looking forward to going back to Knebworth this year though. 
  • Options
    New track from Liam, written by Dave Grohl. He's still got it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=045SzeMuzv8</br>

Great track, one of the best solo ones from Liam.

Interesting to see him working with Grohl. 
  • Options
    Greenhithe whilst agreeing with you I believe you missed a couple of there greatest How about

(I can’t get no) Satisfaction 
    Honky took woman

Both I believe should also be included in your first (great list) both cowritten by Richards / Jagger

Another one I always enjoyed was mamas little helpers, don’t know why you don’t hear that to often.

• Options
    SamB09 said:
    Yeah, only decent 

Apart from:

Moonlight Mile
    Midnight Rambler
    Faraway Eyes
    Wild Horses
    Bitch
    Happy
    Radiator Blues
    Beast of Burden
    Fool to Cry
    undercover of the night
    She’s a rainbow
    Sister Morphine

yeah they’re shit mate

terrible band

You can’t always get what you want
    Street fighting man
    Living cup
    waiting on a friend
    sweet virginia

Angie
    Paint it Black
  • Options

With Dave Grohl when was that ever in doubt? Ridiculously good musician imo.

Slightly surprised with all this 90s guitar based love in going on that there has been no mention of Smashing Pumpkins. Siamese Dream was out around the same time as Nevermind I think.

Melon Collie and the infinite sadness released in 1995 and remains a personal favourite. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I had no idea Dave Grohl had written it, but within seconds of hearing it I immediately thought ‘Foo Fighters’
  • Options

Great track, one of the best solo ones from Liam.

Interesting to see him working with Grohl. 
    That’s excellent 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I had no idea Dave Grohl had written it, but within seconds of hearing it I immediately thought ‘Foo Fighters’
    Yeh, almost immediately it was an obvious Dave Grohl track … I really like it 
  • Options
    6 of us going to Hampden Park in June to see him.

Biblical etc.

• Options
    6 of us going to Hampden Park in June to see him.

Biblical etc.

Biblical…..is that CofE or RC?