Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liam Gallagher on Charlton

Comments

• Options
    seth plum said:
    The meaning of life?
    What conclusions has this sage come to or revealed?
    Cigarettes and alcohol.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    It always surprises me that people find his voice attractive in any way.
    To me it sounds like a musical whine, and unlike other questionable voices like Jagger or Dylan he never sounds to me like he means what he sings.

You're not his target audience Seth. Oasis spoke to a generation of us in a way no band did before or has since if you were of a certain age and type in the mid 90s.

Don't 100% agree with that - I'm from the 60s generation and Oasis still spoke to me.
    Did they say ‘Hey, Bob, jack in what you’re doing and head out and get totally like wasted man.’?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    seth plum said:
    To me it sounds like a musical whine, and unlike other questionable voices like Jagger or Dylan he never sounds to me like he means what he sings.

You're not his target audience Seth. Oasis spoke to a generation of us in a way no band did before or has since if you were of a certain age and type in the mid 90s.

Don't 100% agree with that - I'm from the 60s generation and Oasis still spoke to me.
    Did they say ‘Hey, Bob, jack in what you’re doing and head out and get totally like wasted man.’?
    Something similar, yes!
  • Options
    I shuddered when i heard about this year's Knebworth gig.  

I went to the one in 96.  That three hour queue for a beer put me off big concerts for life.  I was sober, it was shit!

• Options
    Curb_It said:

I went to the one in 96.  That three hour queue for a beer put me off big concerts for life.  I was sober, it was shit!

I saw oasis at the new wembley in 2009.

I didn't have to que up for a beer as some angry nutter decided to chuck his £8 pint in my face 
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Curb_It said:

I didn't have to que up for a beer as some angry nutter decided to chuck his £8 pint in my face 
    wow, thats cheap!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:

Not just your age group … I was born in the 50’s and love Oasis 
    People born in the 50's have more musical taste and general better knowledge than people born in any other decade 
    Fact. 
  • Options
    Don't agree that no band since has spoken to a generation, the Arctic Monkeys did when they broke.

Fair play to Liam for still making music, doesn't appeal to me in anyway, but good luck to him 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:

People born in the 50's have more musical taste and general better knowledge than people born in any other decade 
    Fact. 
    I can't disagree with that!
  • Options
    Dave2l said:
    Curb_It said:

I was at the Sunday gig in 09 and from the sheer volume of piss being thrown you should count yourself lucky it was overpriced beer you took a face of! 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Don't agree that no band since has spoken to a generation, the Arctic Monkeys did when they broke.

Fair play to Liam for still making music, doesn't appeal to me in anyway, but good luck to him 
    agreed, arctic monkeys also have far larger musical diversity in their back catalogue than oasis. I think i remember reading that they actively dislike their old songs, whilst noel could still go on for hours on how much of a masterpiece live forever is.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

agreed, arctic monkeys also have far larger musical diversity in their back catalogue than oasis. I think i remember reading that they actively dislike their old songs, whilst noel could still go on for hours on how much of a masterpiece live forever is.
    If I’d written something half as good as Live Forever then I’d be exactly the same.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    I actually thought The Streets were quite close to that whole speak for a generation thing with their debut.  
    completely agree. I love the streets, but mike is very much marmite - especially to those that don't want to sit down and listen to his music properly. He definitely changed the game in a big way. 
  • Options
    I'm talking about my specific generation regarding oasis. I was older when the Streets and Arctic Monkeys came about and they would have perhaps had a similar influence on younger generations in the way oasis did for those aged 14- 17 in mid 90s.  

I do also appreciate that the oaps on here like @bobmunro and @stonemuse do also dig them :-) 
  • Options
    I'm talking about my specific generation regarding oasis. I was older when the Streets and Arctic Monkeys came about and they would have perhaps had a similar influence on younger generations in the way oasis did for those aged 14- 17 in mid 90s.  

I do also appreciate that the oaps on here like @bobmunro and @stonemuse do also dig them :-) 
    I'm surprised about the Streets, you're about the same age as me, and the Streets felt like something which talked directly to me. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Rothko said:

If I’d written something half as good as Live Forever then I’d be exactly the same.
    Likewise for something like Fake Tales of San Francisco, but Alex Turner is constantly looking to reinvent himself 
  • Options
    As a middle class Essex boy, it was always Blur that spoke more to me! (Not that I'd admit it) My chavvier, druggier mates mates were all about the Prodigy. Mind you I rocked a Spliffy top back in the day so was definitely part of the scene youknowhatimean. V97 Chelmsford with prodigy and blur was Essex woodstock (yes I binned off prodigy after Breathe to watch the Bluetones...) 
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I'm surprised about the Streets, you're about the same age as me, and the Streets felt like something which talked directly to me. 
    Try and find a bloke that can't relate to this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MpiyqpAu-Q
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Rothko said:
    Liked the Streets a lot but nowhere near the same impact or "sit up and take notice" effect that oasis had on me in 94/5/6

I was in early 20s when the Streets surfaced so well beyond that key formative age when a band really grabs hold of you as a wide eyed youngster.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

same, although we do now go to things like the hop farm and other low key events - it may not be cool but the main thing is you can take a deck chair in and get served easy  
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    As a middle class Essex boy, it was always Blur that spoke more to me! (Not that I'd admit it) My chavvier, druggier mates mates were all about the Prodigy. Mind you I rocked a Spliffy top back in the day so was definitely part of the scene youknowhatimean. V97 Chelmsford with prodigy and blur was Essex woodstock (yes I binned off prodigy after Breathe to watch the Bluetones...) 
    The Prodigy outshone Oasis at Knebwoth in 96 
  • Options
    The documentary film about the Knebworth gig is absolutely superb.
  • Options
    Rothko said:

Artic Monkeys may have spoke to a generation to a degree but nowhere near on the scale Oasis did, not even a quarter as much as Oasis.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Rothko said:

Artic Monkeys may have spoke to a generation to a degree but nowhere near on the scale Oasis did, not even a quarter as much as Oasis.
    I look at my sisters generation and the effects the AM had on them was massive, also a band that generation found online so the growth was different, compared to Oasis who had one national radio station to dominate. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    seth plum said:

Fact. 
    You mean like Limahl???

And I suppose that, in fairness, Kajagoogoo also spoke to a generation, but that that generation's response is unprintable...