Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Options
    Given the quality of his crossing, could he be out 2st choice LB? Incidentally, I did tip him in this role a couple of weeks ago and was poo-pooed.
    I don’t think you could get away with him at LB in a back 4. He did very well yesterday on the left side - mostly when we were attacking, but pace is always going to be a major issue when defending. 
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Given the quality of his crossing, could he be out 2st choice LB? Incidentally, I did tip him in this role a couple of weeks ago and was poo-pooed.
    I don’t think you could get away with him at LB in a back 4. He did very well yesterday on the left side - mostly when we were attacking, but pace is always going to be a major issue when defending. 
    This.......the lad did very well yesterday given the potentially career threatening injury he has come back from, lack of first team minutes and playing out of position. Probably hit the cross of the season so far in the build up to the first goal but let's not get carried away. If he keeps improving his fitness and stamina levels he will be a useful squad player for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    No reason he can't play LWB. 
  • Options
    Better than Purrington at left wing back imo. Offers more going forward. If we revert to a back 4 I’d happily see Purrington come back in. But for as long as we play with wing backs, JFC is my first choice
  • Options
    Better than Purrington at left wing back imo. Offers more going forward. If we revert to a back 4 I’d happily see Purrington come back in. But for as long as we play with wing backs, JFC is my first choice
    Hopefully Lewis Page can yet have a say in that

Is the one advantage he too has over Purrington as was very good at getting forward and putting a cross in during the early stages of last season

I dont have that much hope though
  • Options
    Main thing is that at least we have another option now. With the number of midfielders we have JFC probably wouldn't get a whole lot of game time in that position so this benefits him as well. 
  • Options
    Looked class yesterday, almost back to the JFC of previous seasons. If he kicks on from here I'll be the first to say I was wrong to write him off at the start at the season.
  • Options
    You know we have a strong squad when Chuks can't get in the non - starting 11 . 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's been so much better at LWB as compared to his dismal CM showing against Forest Green that I wonder if he's even out of position any more. Maybe this is just his position now
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    He's been so much better at LWB as compared to his dismal CM showing against Forest Green that I wonder if he's even out of position any more. Maybe this is just his position now
    I think that's more down to match fitness and maybe confidence
  • Options
    Purrington before the first international break was superb. He was scoring and assisting. His form slipped but Bowyer said he was carrying an injury after that first break.

JFC is getting back to his excellent best which is wonderful to see but for me if they’re both fully fit Purrington always gets the slot down the left. So pleased  JFC has been able to cover so ably though.
  • Options
    Great to see him fit and doing so well out of position.

Deserves a start in midfield but no one currently in midfield deserves to be dropped.

What a nice dilemma for Lee

Team of non-starters from yesterday

Amos
    Mathew Oshilaja Pearce Purrington
    Field Kayel Oztumer Lapslie
    Hemed Taylor

Subs
    Aneke Page Morgan Taylor, Maynard-Brewer
    Taylor X 2.
  • Options
    His struggles at Championship level come from wanting too much time on the ball. In League One you can get away with it, hide it a little bit better but going up a level you just don't get that in the middle of the park.

Pushing him out wide is a genius move and it allows JFC to show off his undoubted technical ability.
  • Options
    His struggles at Championship level come from wanting too much time on the ball. In League One you can get away with it, hide it a little bit better but going up a level you just don't get that in the middle of the park.

Pushing him out wide is a genius move and it allows JFC to show off his undoubted technical ability.
    As per what Jake says above, well spotted :)

“There’s probably a bit more sprinting but you get more time on the ball than in central midfield.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    JFC slotting in to left wing back has been a real bonus in recent weeks, with all the defensive injuries we’ve got at the moment AND our strength in depth in centre midfield 
  • Options
    And that's over and done with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Said on the match preview thread, he only played his second 90 minutes of the league season on Saturday and his third in 18 months. To then play again so soon with next to no recovery, I was surprised he started. But unforuntately, due to the injuries we already have, we had no choice and to hope he would've been okay. Now, he's out for about a month I'd assume. It rotten luck.
  • Options
    Anyone heard anything about his latest injury and potential return?
  • Options
    He seemed ok and was moving ok at the young reds christmas party along with williams, taylor, page, chuks and lapslie
  • Options
    He seemed ok and was moving ok at the young reds christmas party along with williams, taylor, page, chuks and lapslie
    I haven’t seen any updates from the club or news sources? I could have missed them.
  • Options
    None of the injured players have turned out for U23s, which you would expect if they were close. 
  • Options
    None of the injured players have turned out for U23s, which you would expect if they were close. 
    Taylor and Aneke expected to be on bench this Saturday without U23 game
  • Options
    I haven’t seen any updates from the club or news sources? I could have missed them.
    There was an article somewhere that mentioned JFC, amongst others.

Something to the effect that he's recovering from his recent hamstring injury, but because he missed a season of competitive football, he's being monitored and managed to ensure he doesn't succomb to injuries caused by stress on the body.

In other words, he's not being rushed back. Perhaps lessons learned from poor old Lewis Page's catalogue of recovery injuries?

• Options
    edited December 2019
    ross1 said:
    Taylor and Aneke expected to be on bench this Saturday without U23 game
    And we wonder why players such as Aneke and JFC keep having set-backs and those that didn't to a full preseason get injurred. 
  • Options
    Anyone heard anything about his latest injury and potential return?
    Spoke to him as he walked past me prior to the Cardiff City game... Doesnt expect to return until Xmas
  • Options
    Thanks for the update.