Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jake Forster-Caskey (ed. Signs a new contract extension to 2021)

Comments

• Was he playing DM before injury (sorry ex-boycotter)?
  • He played in a 2 with Kashi. Kashi ran around a lot and JFC usually was the one making the passes, he was similar to Cullen in the sense he would make turns a lot and then pick a pass but not the same work rate. I would say JFC just edges it from set piece deliveries if I remember but I only watched him live about 10 times and on ifollow about 15/20. 

I think we need a player with a good engine to play along side him to see the best of him 
  • Was he playing DM before injury (sorry ex-boycotter)?
    No, certainly under Bowyer he was much more box to box, and indeed was adding goals to his game before the injury,.
  • Perhaps until Prem loans come along, Djiksteel may go DM. Best engine in the squad.
  • Perhaps until Prem loans come along, Djiksteel may go DM. Best engine in the squad.
    Or Lapslie...
    Or Lapslie...

Lapslie is a great lad but as Bowyer said after one away game (potentially Burton) - He wants to be everywhere when he needs to learn to be more patient and hold his position - Bit headless chicken, bit Russell Terrier the way he plays

• Did very well today. Better player than he’s given credit for and another battler. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Defensively was destroyed by their winger. 

Was good going forward though, decent cross for the goal 
  • Defensively was destroyed by their winger. 

A bit harsh. Second half, Fulham targeted and overloaded him.

Often facing 2 attackers at the same time, he could have done with a little more cover.

• Great performance today after a year out and in a position he's never played before.
    I disagree.

I was beside his left side that he was allegedly covering, throughout that second half left Sarr exposed time and time again by being massively out of position.

Not sure how he's getting such rave reviews.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Great performance today after a year out and in a position he's never played before.
    I disagree.

I was beside his left side that he was allegedly covering, throughout that second half left Sarr exposed time and time again by being massively out of position.

Because he didn’t play at left wing back for most of the second half. We changed formation.
    Well that'll explain some of it. He wasn't much better at defending first half either.

It wasn't his position and there's no malice here. Think we probably should have had Matthews there.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Great performance today after a year out and in a position he's never played before.
    I disagree.

Because he didn’t play at left wing back for most of the second half. We changed formation.
    We changed formation due to the fact they were killing us down the left hand side. Went to a back 4 to try and stop them overloading down the wings, it didn't work. 
  • Fans should pluck out positives and potential in players. If Bows thought the same way, we wouldnt be as daring and tactical as we are.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I disagree.

2nd half we switched to a 4 4 2 diamond with him covering the holding role. Sarr then went to lb. Took me about 15 minutes in the 2nd half to realise basi also thought were the f... is jake covering sarr. Great firs half, waned in the 2nd but expected as it's his first game in a while
  • good to see him back after serious injury .. against Fulham, he had a steady old game, Bowyer used him well out wide as he can cross accurately, one area in which the team lacks consistency 
  • Sponsored links:

• Having watched all 3 games this week, in 3 diffrent ways, it's amazing how much influence view, camera angle and commentary influence opinion.

I thought he was amazing tbh in the first half yesterday.  I was worried that he wouldn't get the minutes before Xmas and be needed after (if loans get recalled).   But watching on TV you don't get to see as much off the ball stuff so the tactical change second half effected how I viewed the second half. 

On Wednesday I didn't notice him do anything, mainly due the the poor camera position and lack of coms. 

• Any criticism of JFC from yesterday’s performance is I think extremely harsh. 
    Especially when he's blamed for wingers overrunning us in the second half by when he'd been moved into the middle.
  • Any criticism of JFC from yesterday’s performance is I think extremely harsh. 
    Especially when he's blamed for wingers overrunning us in the second half by when he'd been moved into the middle.
    That's exactly the type of thing I was talking about.  I wasn't really sure where he was playing in the second half because you can't see the whole pitch on TV. 
  • edited October 2019
    Any criticism of JFC from yesterday’s performance is I think extremely harsh. 
    I found the second half shape quite confusing, and as most of the play was down the other end couldn't see it that well anyway!

If it was a 442 diamond with Sarr at LB, surely Pratley was the central defensive midfielder? If it wasn't JFC, who was the left hand midfielder in the diamond, as he certainly was on the left when Fulham got their 1st goal?
  • I don't think we changed formation until 10 mins into the second half. Caskey was still on the left hand side for the first goal, and then things changed after a break in play for an injury to a Arter at about 60 something minutes.

I could be wrong though. 
  • Arter went off at half time .
  • Given the quality of his crossing, could he be out 2st choice LB? Incidentally, I did tip him in this role a couple of weeks ago and was poo-pooed.