Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options

I'm off to Headingley today. Poured it down overnight so hoping it stays away today.

wet outfield but should be dry all day. Enjoy, hoping we can wrap up the series.
  • Options
    I've been saying for years that Rashid will be a top class spinner. Sadly England weren't prepared to persevere with him at Test level and he's chosen to concentrate where the money is as a result.

Meantime, our cupboard so far as spin is concerned is rather empty.
  • Options
    The look on Kohli's face was priceless. Great ball by Rashid. I fear India may spin England out later though looking at it now.
  • Options
    can i just say... chinaman
  • Options
    lolwray said:

can i just say... chinaman

Ban him!
  • Options
    Well this has been rather easy. Good series win, plenty of positives, David Willey being the main one in my opinion.
  • Options
    We are just so so good.

The main positive for me is the return to form of Joe Root.
  • Options

We are just so so good.

The main positive for me is the return to form of Joe Root.

only thing that's been interesting in last hour is the race to a century. Will the captain let him get consecutive tons?
  • Options
    Back to back tons for Joe Root!

213 not out over the last two games.

He's back!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Left arm unorthodox works for me, especially when you see Paul Adam's action!

I'm taking @GermanAddick to his first cricket game at the Oval next month - shall i start with Left-arm Leg-spinner or left-arm unorthodox ??
    Its a load of pompous bollocks.
    And @riviera doesnt even like anything not Test match !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great win by England today.
    Real favourites for WC next year. When are tickets released?
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Left arm unorthodox works for me, especially when you see Paul Adam's action!

I'm taking @GermanAddick to his first cricket game at the Oval next month - shall i start with Left-arm Leg-spinner or left-arm unorthodox ??
    Its a load of pompous bollocks.
    And @riviera doesnt even like anything not Test match !
    It's what it's called! Could call it finger or wrist spin I suppose. Don't want to leave out top spinner like Kumble!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Either he/she spins it to the leg or the off, and he is either right or left handed - its irrelevant (unless you are a supposed Test match nerd like riveria) as to how he does it.
    To try to educate someone who is not a Cricket fundy with the stupid nerdy nuances is ridiculous and totally unneeded..
  • Options

Either he/she spins it to the leg or the off, and he is either right or left handed - its irrelevant (unless you are a supposed Test match nerd like riveria) as to how he does it.
    To try to educate someone who is not a Cricket fundy with the stupid nerdy nuances is ridiculous and totally unneeded..

He's German? Stupid nerdy nuances are their oxygen.
  • Options

The Cricket Family Ballot (as they called it), has already finished in June, so many of the tickets are sold.
    There is a public ballot starting in August.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/cricket-world-cup/tickets-about
  • Options
    Good to get the series win and dent some of the smugness of the Indian supporters :smile:

It does show the strength in depth England has when it comes to white ball batting, no Roy or Hales yet we still won easily.

I'm looking forward to the world cup. We definitely have a chance, but white ball cricket is all about how you play on the day though, a single game is far more random than say a game of football.
  • Options

Good to get the series win and dent some of the smugness of the Indian supporters :smile:

It does show the strength in depth England has when it comes to white ball batting, no Roy or Hales yet we still won easily.

I'm looking forward to the world cup. We definitely have a chance, but white ball cricket is all about how you play on the day though, a single game is far more random than say a game of football.

I think the thing is KAF, that we are getting more and more confident and professional in our game management - i know it only takes one bad hair day to knock us out, but its going to take one hell of a good team to beat us ...bring on Scotland !
  • Options
    I see that the ECB have likely ditched the 10 ball over idea for their shiny new competition.

Rumour is they're now planning on 20 overs of five balls each so they can stick to their idea of calling it 'The Hundred'.
  • Options
    Best ODI side in the world.

Runners up in latest T20 world cup.

Why won't they leave it alone.
  • Options

Same thing was said in the 2002 when they brought in this new fangled hit and giggles 20 over competition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I see that the ECB have likely ditched the 10 ball over idea for their shiny new competition.

Rumour is they're now planning on 20 overs of five balls each so they can stick to their idea of calling it 'The Hundred'.

What an utter load of bollocks. Why don't they fuck off.
  • Options
    5 ball overs ffs. What a load of bollocks. It effectively renders all cricket stats ever completely irrelevant and incomparable.

Utter utter crap.

Joke.
  • Options
    I agree with @cantersaddick. I admit that I am not a big fan of T20. I find that the only enjoyment I get is seeing Sussex win. When Sussex bat, I hope every ball goes for six, not caring how it gets to the boundary, and every ball they bowl I want a dot ball or a wicket. The same is not true for County Championship or One Day games.

So, that's my prejudice before I start. I have no problem with T20 as I appreciate that it brings in money and there's a sizeable audience that want to see it. What's more, the T20 Blast audience is growing.

I just don't get the new Hundred competition. It is change for the sake of change. It offers nothing different to the T20 Blast in terms of game format. Yes, it will bring stars from around the world to England, but that's about it. It is going to take a chunk of the audience from the T20 Blast.

I am not sure of the scheduling plans from 2020. I've seen one plan whereby the T20 Blast and Hundred are concurrent. This will just take audiences away from the T20 Blast, possibly in large numbers as the T20 Blast will be full of non-stars. The alternative plan is to have the T20 Blast and Hundred at different times, which means that the better County players will only be available for a few County Championship games and those playing in the IPL will only be available for a handful of CC games. Effectively, this will mean that players are T20/Hundred players or 4-day players and the better ones will veer towards T20 because they will earn more.

It seems like a mess to me and the clock is ticking on what is really going to happen. The end of our 18 counties may be in sight if this report is to be believed because I don't think the sweetener to the counties for the Hundred will make much difference at the end of the day. This article paints a murky picture of the future - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/44170761.

Hopefully, decent cricket will last my lifetime and, yes, I am prejudiced towards the longer form.
  • Options
    I don't see how the T20 blast and the new competition can both operate without the Blast being affected. Are there regular visitors to the Oval or Old Trafford who think there needs to be MORE short form cricket played there each summer, when the grounds already have a healthy number of T20 matches played there already?
  • Options

Same thing was said in the 2002 when they brought in this new fangled hit and giggles 20 over competition.
    That was a radical change, and nobody could have predicted the success that T20 would become.

120 to 100 balls hardly constitutes radical change, it's pointless.

The focus should be on the blast and making that better, with more overseas allowed and a condensed, more widely broadcast format.

We have a fantastic thing going with white ball cricket in this country. Let's focus on making it the best it can be with the foundations thatare already laid and let's have less of the contrived nonsense.
  • Options

Tickets already being sold. In fact the priority sales ballot has already been and gone. It was a farce as it wasn't really proper priority to England supporters, County members or those who go to any of the grounds where matches are being played.

The next stage is a public ballot, where you have to register by 1st August.
    you can pre-register here, and apply any time between August 1 and August 29.

https://tickets.cricketworldcup.com/accountRegister.html?key=&e=&n=&uc=&crk=&idNews=&tkhrq=cd7e0429-8f99-46cb-a76d-7153b2570be0&tkhrp=7bf98e29-9d95-4e47-9950-f098d79525b9&tkhrts=1532016297&tkhrc=tickethour&tkhre=cwc2019post8may&tkhrrt=Safetynet&tkhrh=59312a98e0898b337c47fe5b515e11bf