Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    Quite a decent score in the end.
    Still a bit short if I'm honest but pick up a couple of wickets early and it's game on.
  • Options
    This is going to be over very soon.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

This is going to be over very soon.

India are different class.
  • Options
    All a bit awkward for Bayliss. The poor Test results could be argued against by our winning white ball team, but if that is getting hammered by India as well...
  • Options
    James Taylor has been appointed an England selector. That's really bad news for KP who was probably still hoping that England were going to call him out of retirement.
  • Options

James Taylor has been appointed an England selector. That's really bad news for KP who was probably still hoping that England were going to call him out of retirement.

Anything to do with English cricket is well and truly over when it comes to KP.
  • Options

Another one plucked from the commentary box. ..
  • Options
    Amazingly England played India yesterday without a single comment here!

Watching the highlights, a strange match. England won comfortably, with MS Dhoni rather giving up and batting really slowly rather than at least trying to reach the run rate
  • Options

Watching the highlights, a strange match. England won comfortably, with MS Dhoni rather giving up and batting really slowly rather than at least trying to reach the run rate

watched some of it after the football and was a bit surprised at how low key the atmosphere was. Am I right in thinking that is quite typical of England matches at Lords?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

watched some of it after the football and was a bit surprised at how low key the atmosphere was. Am I right in thinking that is quite typical of England matches at Lords?
    Yes it is, which is why England lose at Lords far too often.

I watched the whole game as well as the tennis & football :smile:

I didn't think England had scored enough and was surprised we won so convincingly.

Dhoni giving up and opting for defensive batting practice instead, with about 15 overs remaining was truly bizarre.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lord's is more sedate than other grounds

The Kent Hampshire Royal London final last month had a fairly rowdy atmosphere though to be fair.
  • Options
    Dhoni & Mickleson......both twats who are too far up their own arses.
  • Options
    Dhoni channeling his inner Gavaskar
  • Options
    Didn't watch the game, what did Dhoni do/not do? Did it seem he was deliberately not going for the win?
    Maybe I shouldn't say it, but any Pakistani book-keepers involved?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Didn't watch the game, what did Dhoni do/not do? Did it seem he was deliberately not going for the win?

The required run rate by that time was really high, but rather than at least making an effort to try and slog a few boundaries, Dhoni gave up and just used him time in the middle for a bit of batting practice, making the last 15 overs a bit pointless for the spectators
  • Options
    The Lions are playing India A today at Worcester
    Currently 100-1

a few of the test team are playing

Rory Burns(c)
    Alastair Cook
    Nick Gubbins
    Dawid Malan
    Ollie Pope(wk)
    Chris Woakes
    Sam Curran
    Dom Bess
    Matt Fisher
    Jack Leach
    Jamie Porter
  • Options

No way was it fixed. Dhoni purely decided going for the win was a waste of time so played it like a test. He was probably right, he would have had to have scored one of the best ever ODI hundreds to get them close.
  • Options
    I see the BBC have banished the traditional term for left-arm wrist spin and are now calling Chinamen Left-arm legspin. The correct term is left-arm unorthodox.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I see the BBC have banished the traditional term for left-arm wrist spin and are now calling Chinamen Left-arm legspin. The correct term is left-arm unorthodox.

Left arm leg spin is actually an incorrect term anyway, as the default ball will go the other way to a conventional leg spinner, and not from leg to off for a right hander!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Left arm leg spin is actually an incorrect term anyway, as the default ball will go the other way to a conventional leg spinner, and not from leg to off for a right hander!
    That's offensive to left-handers and I'm going to explain on their behalf in no fewer than 500 words why. At some point ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

Riviera said:

That's what I said. The correct term is left-arm unorthodox.
  • Options
    I heard one of the bbc radio commentators use the term last week. Someone obviously didn't get the memo.
  • Options

I heard one of the bbc radio commentators use the term last week. Someone obviously didn't get the memo.

Sir Geoffrey!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Sir Geoffrey!
    Boycott's recovering from a major heart op so it definitely wasn't him. I think I heard it during the last T20 or first ODI when they were discussing India's new wonderkid spinner. I just remember being surprised at the time that it was still being used.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Sir Geoffrey!
    Boycott's recovering from a major heart op so it definitely wasn't him. I think I heard it during the last T20 or first ODI when they were discussing India's new wonderkid spinner. I just remember being surprised at the time that it was still being used.
    Yes I know about Fiery, I was only kidding. It was Kuldeep Yadav who Jonathan Legard was talking about on Tuffers&Vaughn tonight on 5Live when he kept using the ridiculous phrase left arm legspiner.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Sir Geoffrey!
    Yes I know about Fiery, I was only kidding. It was Kuldeep Yadav who Jonathan Legard was talking about on Tuffers&Vaughn tonight on 5Live when he kept using the ridiculous phrase left arm legspiner.
    Pompous bollox.
    I'll get Warney to come on and talk about his right arm unorthodox.

• Options
    Leg spinner is actually a pretty poor description for the bowler anyway, as the whole point of wrist spinners is that they can spin it both ways

But then Off Spinner and "Slow Left Armer" are pretty unhelpful descriptions as well, seeing that they are basically the same type of bowler!

• Options
    Left arm unorthodox works for me, especially when you see Paul Adam's action!
  • Options
    I'm off to Headingley today. Poured it down overnight so hoping it stays away today.
  • Options

Leg spinner is actually a pretty poor description for the bowler anyway, as the whole point of wrist spinners is that they can spin it both ways

But then Off Spinner and "Slow Left Armer" are pretty unhelpful descriptions as well, seeing that they are basically the same type of bowler!

Well they've worked for about 200 years.