Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Options
    Whoever wins the toss will not lose all 4 games and will win 2 or 3, is my prediction
  • Options
    Curran selected ahead of Porter. I think the Indians will maul him tbh.

Rashid ahead of Ali another big call. That one is a wait and see, but I'm going with maul again.

If England bat first I can see them scoring big and Broad having fun, but if India bat first I can see it getting ugly very quickly for England's attack
  • Options
    I know this is going to sound a bit dim (and I have watched cricket since the late 70's) but whats the difference between "red ball cricket & "white ball" cricket ........in the context of Rashid ?? He has been the best spinner by miles over the past year or so & I didn't think Bess did anthing with the ball earlier on the summer (his batting is another matter) & there are no other decent spinners on the county circuit.

Is it that he hasn't played any red ball cricket & therefore rusty.......surely bowling spin is the same whatever the format ??

Is it field placings/restrictions ?? I thought it would be better as you can have more men round the bat or out deep to catch to miscued sweep or slog.

• Options
    Leuth said:

Whoever wins the toss will not lose all 4 games and will win 2 or 3, is my prediction

It is a five test series
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Curran selected ahead of Porter. I think the Indians will maul him tbh.

Rashid ahead of Ali another big call. That one is a wait and see, but I'm going with maul again.

If England bat first I can see them scoring big and Broad having fun, but if India bat first I can see it getting ugly very quickly for England's attack

I think it is more of a case that Broad and Anderson selected ahead of Porter, but with 5 tests in 6 weeks I imagine there will be a bit of rotation at some stage.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

So what do we think for this?

Will the dry weather play into India's hands or will the recent rain prompt the usual movement with the Dukes ball ?

I read somewhere that millions of litres of water had been used to turn conditions back to more of a typical English summer. We'll see how that works,
  • Options
    Aggers says the pitch is looking ridiculously green considering the weather of the past two months.
  • Options

I know this is going to sound a bit dim (and I have watched cricket since the late 70's) but whats the difference between "red ball cricket & "white ball" cricket ........in the context of Rashid ?? He has been the best spinner by miles over the past year or so & I didn't think Bess did anthing with the ball earlier on the summer (his batting is another matter) & there are no other decent spinners on the county circuit.

Is it that he hasn't played any red ball cricket & therefore rusty.......surely bowling spin is the same whatever the format ??

Is it field placings/restrictions ?? I thought it would be better as you can have more men round the bat or out deep to catch to miscued sweep or slog.

I and my mates agree. We were having the same convo at the weekends BBQ.
    If Rashid is the best spinner, then he's the best spinner and we too don't get all this white ball red ball nonsense.
  • Options
    It's a bit mental he has been picked despite not proving any form in the longer format. But he's been picked because we have a lack of decent spinners so I don't really see it being a huge deal.

Decent batting line up which I feel we will desperately need, especially batting second.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018
    It's been fairly widely publicised they've been watering the pitch heavily throughout the warm period to keep it from becoming an Indian style pitch. However it's supposed to get hot this week and the pitch could dry out very quickly.

As I've said before I don't think Sam is ready for the test side (one day side is another matter) but they are backing him as he is left arm and I think they want him as the all rounder for the second test.
  • Options
    I think porter plus broad and Anderson is too similar. Hope Curran does well. Porter ahead of Broad for me. Something about him annoys me.
  • Options

In white ball cricket, the batsmen have to score runs all the time, therefore they will attack the spinner with aggressive shots, and give chances. The white ball stays harder too as it's used less

In red ball cricket, the batsmen can play more defensively, thus you have to be patient and sometimes winkle batsmen out, as you won't get as many cheap wickets. You bowl longer spells too, 4 overs max in T20 or 10 overs max in 50 over cricket is nothing, you might bowl 20 overs with a soft ball

Rashid can adapt, but it doesn't help that he hasn't played red ball cricket for so long
  • Options
    Rashid has consistently under performed in the past whenever he's been picked to play Test cricket. Can't see that changing.
  • Options

In white ball cricket, the batsmen have to score runs all the time, therefore they will attack the spinner with aggressive shots, and give chances. The white ball stays harder too as it's used less

In red ball cricket, the batsmen can play more defensively, thus you have to be patient and sometimes winkle batsmen out, as you won't get as many cheap wickets. You bowl longer spells too, 4 overs max in T20 or 10 overs max in 50 over cricket is nothing, you might bowl 20 overs with a soft ball

Rashid can adapt, but it doesn't help that he hasn't played red ball cricket for so long
    Don't bowl him for long spells then. If I recall in the ODI's he was bowling his 10 overs in 1 spell anyway.

Can't see how not playing red ball cricket for a year is going to be a problem......you don't forget how to bowl & he's played ODI's & 20/20 for club & county this season so not exactly rusty is he ?
  • Options
    I'm on a train up to Birmingham, tickets are pretty cheap and haven't sold that quickly
  • Options

I'm on a train up to Birmingham, tickets are pretty cheap and haven't sold that quickly

Yes and starting on a Wednesday so the 4th and 5th day are in a weekend and there is no guarantee of a full days cricket on either (based on recent history if tests lasting to the end of the 3th day) isn't exactly gonna help sales.

Start it on a Thursday and then advance sales for Saturday and Sunday will be much better.

Even more important to get the basics right when you are making a whole song and dance about it being the 1000th test.
  • Options
    Warks will be massively pissed off if the game doesn't go until Saturday, it would cost them fortune in refunds and lost beer money.

Especially as the fancy dress Saturday is a highlight of many people's cricket calendar, and put at risk due to the scheduling
  • Options

Warks will be massively pissed off if the game doesn't go until Saturday, it would cost them fortune in refunds and lost beer money.

Especially as the fancy dress Saturday is a highlight of many people's cricket calendar, and put at risk due to the scheduling

Agree. Which makes it even more stupid not starting on Thursday. I suspect there will be play on Saturday but less than half a day. The average test match over the last year or so has had less than a sessions play on day 4.
  • Options
    We win the toss and are batting. Could be an important toss to win
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cool bowled by a beauty from Ashwin. Jennings not looking convincing
  • Options
    India have fucked this not picking Kuldeep
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Leuth said:

India have fucked this not picking Kuldeep

Or jadeja
  • Options
    Has Rashid played a test in this country before?
  • Options

Bit racist :wink:
  • Options

I know youve put a winky face but no, not really. I’m struggling to see any link to rasism in my question! He has played tests for England in Dubai and India where two spinners have played but I don’t remember him playing a test in this country before. therefore a valid and sensible question with no link to rasism what so ever
  • Options

I know youve put a winky face but no, not really. I’m struggling to see any link to rasism in my question! He has played tests for England in Dubai and India where two spinners have played but I don’t remember him playing a test in this country before. therefore a valid and sensible question with no link to rasism what so ever
    It's his debut Test in England!
  • Options

In my head it sounded funny... Rashid is not a normal English name, again not being racist myself and i knew you wasn't.

Back to the drawing board for moi....
  • Options
    162-3 at tea. 54 overs.

awful over rate. Had the spinner bowling too. I believe they can play to 6.30 but at that rate they coukd still be 2 or 3 overs short.

Time for penalties to be brought in & strict ones too. 10 runs added to Englands score for every over short at close of play. Another 20 or 30 runs added to our score may make them quicken up a bit.
  • Options
    Lord Jug Avoidance strikes again