Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• ross1 said:

When we sign that new striker at the end of the month, forgot his name, Ajose will go.......... :wink:

He's better than Ajose
  • Really hope he gets a loan move and frees up space and wages for another striker but I just can’t see it happening. We would have to subsidise his wages massively and I doubt what’s left will bring in another striker other than perhaps a PL kid.

Frankly. If we are chasing a game and need someone up front to change things around I would push Naby up for the last 10 - 15 minutes. The tactic of pushing a CB forward used to be quite common but rarely these days. I think Naby putting himself about would terrify a lot of centre halves.
  • edited January 2019
    Didn’t Robinson try and play Naby as a striker? Said he had better striking abilities in 5 a side than any of the strikers or something like that.
  • I appreciate there is a running joke re Reeco on here but to me he looks like he can hold the ball up. Ajose does nothing
  • wmcf123 said:

I appreciate there is a running joke re Reeco on here but to me he looks like he can hold the ball up. Ajose does nothing

I have seen nothing in league matches that leads me to this conclusion. He looks lightweight and lost to me. That's fine, he's still young, but he needs a loan move. Ajose at least offers movement and can finish.
  • Ajose needs to keep his nutt down and gob shut just like he is currently and wait for his chance if it comes grab it prove the mgr wrong or prove prospective suitors that may fancy taking him next year that he is a competitive player at this level

Personally when I have seen him play for us I feel we look a much better team for it but it does depend on what Ajose turns up

We don’t see them day in day out so in bowyer I trust

You can't have seen many of Ajose's non performances then.
    He's barely had one decent game in a Charlton shirt and what's worse he doesn't seem to care, although he has been a touch better this season.
  • se9addick said:

Ajose should be begging for a loan move. He’s unlikely to get much if any game time with us and he’s out of contract in the summer so really needs to put himself in the shop window. I think he’ll be lucky to still be playing in the Football League next season at this rate.

Problem remains his wages. Few League 1 or league 2 club would want to pay even half his wages after he flopped on loan at Bury and Swindon.

And if we let him go out and subsidise all his wages that might well leave nothing in the budget to loan or buy someone else.

Having just Reeco, who isn't ready to stand in for either Taylor or Grant, is a risk
    This. Our only hope is that either a team near the bottom of League 1 or the top of League 2 want to take a punt on him to keep them up/promote them. We would no doubt have to contribute to his wages though.

Personally feel we might need another player to leave alongside him to bring a striker in. Not sure who that might be, but my gut is saying Clarke might be loaned out.
    I'm a big fan of Clarke but he is older and with Cullen, Aribo and Williams we have other players to cover his position. Risk is that two are injured and one very injury prone.

I'd keep Clarke but I guess Bowyer has to move some players out to get others in. And we do have a lot of midfielders.
    I would keep Clarke too, just a hunch that he might be moved on.
    I think it has to be a case of priorities now and some hard decisions have to be made. It feels like we have enough back up in midfield and defence, especially when you have both Pratley and Dijksteel who can do a job at the back as well as in midfield. However, if either of Taylor or Grant are laid up for a period we don’t have adequate backup. The consensus appears to be that Ajose should be shifted out but if more money needs to be freed up then perhaps Clarke also, and/or Marshall has to be the answer.
  • Ajose needs to keep his nutt down and gob shut just like he is currently and wait for his chance if it comes grab it prove the mgr wrong or prove prospective suitors that may fancy taking him next year that he is a competitive player at this level

Personally when I have seen him play for us I feel we look a much better team for it but it does depend on what Ajose turns up

He's barely had one decent game in a Charlton shirt and what's worse he doesn't seem to care, although he has been a touch better this season.
    Up until the 2nd half against Sunderland and the performance on Saturday

I think some of our best play has come with him in the team not that he has been the best player ,

• Sponsored links:

• We need a decent 3rd striker if we’re going to achieve promotion.

I have no idea what’s going on with Nicky Ajose, whether he’s got family issues, or injuries, he just doesn’t seem ‘on it ‘at the moment.

Does anyone know when his contract is up?
  • We need a decent 3rd striker if we’re going to achieve promotion.

I have no idea what’s going on with Nicky Ajose, whether he’s got family issues, or injuries, he just doesn’t seem ‘on it ‘at the moment.

His contract expires this summer.
  • Scoham said:

We need a decent 3rd striker if we’re going to achieve promotion.

His contract expires this summer.
    Thank you!
  • I’m not convinced by this Bertie big bollox stuff. I don’t know the lad and if it’s true then he needs to take a look in the mirror but it’s not his fault that Meire decided he was the player to get at a ridiculous fee and contract. No one can blame him for only being as good as he is. No one can blame him for sitting tight and earning as much as he can because he sure as hell isnt going to get a contract anything like his current one ever again. Yes we need to move him on and he needs a regular game probably at League two in order to build his careeer back up. For Charltons and Nickys sake I hope he departs this window but I doubt it.
  • Where I sympathise with Ajose is that had he been in the position of Grant on Saturday I don’t think he would have missed all three one-on-ones as I think Ajose is the better finisher. HOWEVER, I am not sure that Ajose would have got himself into the positions to be able to miss the chances in the first place.

Also, since we have had Ajose, we had a very short period of time with Slade playing 442 but the team was not playing well and not creating any chances, then we had Robinson playing 4231 which will never suit his style of play. Under Bowyer he has seemed more effective with a decent strike partner, no he hasn’t troubled the scoring charts, but he has made a few assists. Had he started the season or had a long run in the side alongside Taylor we may have seen a different Ajose.
  • We can speculate until the cows come home but Bowyer watches Ajose training day in day out and chooses to leave him out of the side, most of the time. I wish we had been able to keep Novak as our big lump to improvise for Taylor, if and when he is unable to play but he was determined to return up north. Meanwhile we are lumbered with Nicky until the end of the season but he is not so bad; he has tidy technique which you would expect from a Man Utd trainee and can pass the ball accurately enough - it's just not his game to terrorise defences like Kyle and KAG do. Anyhow, I'll be surprised if we do sign another striker and pray that we don't sell Taylor.

I think some of our best play has come with him in the team not that he has been the best player ,

Sorry, but I've no idea what your post means & I've read it 10 times.
    Against Sunderland in the 2nd half We has a twenty min spell that I thought was the best I had seen us play in ages.

Prior to that some of the better football I had seen us play came when Ajose was in the team, he seems to bring the best out of other players and make runs that opened space for others, he may not have been the best player on those days but as a team we played better with him in imo
  • I wish we had been able to keep Novak as our big lump to improvise for Taylor, if and when he is unable to play but he was determined to return up north.

It wasn't so much that Novak was "determined to return up north" ...... but he wasn't prepared to play shadow to Magennis all season.

Robinson had unwisely told him that Magennis was always going to be 1st choice striker, in a formation playing only one up front.

Novak could see his playing time was going to be limited at Charlton - and wanted out straightaway.
    And rather than keep an unhappy player, he was let go.
  • Sponsored links:

Sorry, but I've no idea what your post means & I've read it 10 times.
    Against Sunderland in the 2nd half We has a twenty min spell that I thought was the best I had seen us play in ages.

Prior to that some of the better football I had seen us play came when Ajose was in the team, he seems to bring the best out of other players and make runs that opened space for others, he may not have been the best player on those days but as a team we played better with him in imo
    How many games have you seen us play this year NLA?

not a dig just cant see what you would of seen to say that. Some of the football we have played with Grant and Taylor has been some of the bets and most enjoyable for a few seasons.
  • sam3110 said:

Ajose isn't the solution, but he's also not as shit as people make out. There was a game a couple of months ago where Fosu started, and created absolutely fuck all all game, Ajose came on and within 5 mins got the ball out on the left and played a dangerous ball into the box that Taylor flicked on into the far corner (Wimbledon at home maybe?)

No he won't be a 25 goal a season striker for us, but unless we move him and Vetokele on and sign a player to replace the two of them, he's probably the best option we can have

Ajose's game doesn't fit into Bowyer's teamshape and gameplan.
    Not just Ajose, but also Marshall and Fosu.

All 3 are traditional flat 4-4-2 players.

And all 3 are getting only limited game time because of this.
    But it does give options to change the gameplan during a match.

• Probably best for all parties, I'd expect a striker in by Peterborough away
  • Nicky Ajose has joined Sky Bet League Two club Mansfield Town on loan for the remainder of the season.

The Charlton striker has seen his first-team opportunities limited this campaign due to the form of Lyle Taylor and Karlan Grant, who have scored 28 goals between them in all competitions.

Ajose has netted three Addicks goals this term – including one against Mansfield in the Emirates FA Cup – and Manager Lee Bowyer says that the forward wants regular first-team football.

“It’s been difficult for Nicky here obviously with the strikers we’ve got and the way they are playing. I think it was best for both parties for him to go on loan.

“To be fair to him he’s been a great pro and a good person around the place, I can’t knock him in any way. Hopefully he goes and scores goals and they get promotion. I wish him all the best.”

The move leaves Charlton with four strikers, the in-form Taylor and Grant, Igor Vetokele, who is set to return from injury in February and academy graduate Reeco Hackett-Fairchild.

Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.

“I think our recruitment in the summer and now has been very good. We’re very careful on who we pick and I think you can tell that with the people we’ve brought in. Obviously, we’re a striker down but we’re not going to rush around and bring someone in for the sake of bringing someone in.”
  • Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.