Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• Options

Decent team are Mansfield so Ajose should get a few chances.

As he's out of contract in the summer that is goodbye Nicky.

Shame it never worked out but you missed a lot of chances under Slade, didn't fit Robinson's system and were kept out under Bowyer by Grant and Taylor.

For all Bowyer's nice words I'd bet he's glad to see Ajose gone to as it frees up some of his wages for Eise or someone else.

They are 5th in league two!!
    So a decent team at their level.

held the mighty Charlton to a draw in the cup
  • Options

Shame it never worked out but you missed a lot of chances under Slade, didn't fit Robinson's system and were kept out under Bowyer by Grant and Taylor.

For all Bowyer's nice words I'd bet he's glad to see Ajose gone to as it frees up some of his wages for Eise or someone else.

They are 5th in league two!!
    So a decent team at their level.

held the mighty Charlton to a draw in the cup
    Then lost the replay to Charlton reserves 5-0 :wink:
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Now Ajose's gone, who can we slag off now? :neutral:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    People have been at it with Pratley already.
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    Definite undercurrent of people wanting to slag Grant off in my opinion.

They can't say too much just now because 13 league goals (just 2 penalties) is hard to argue with and speaks for itself.

Nevertheless the Shrewsbury thread shows the eagerness to home in on the chances he missed rather than emphasise his contribution towards terrifying their defence in a comfortable 3-0 victory.
    Pratley is a good call, I’ll actually put him in at 1. Grant is only a slight dip in form away from getting slagged off, if he hadn’t have scored that penalty I think the knives would be getting sharpened already.

Updated table

1. Pratley
    2. Marshall
    3. Phillips
    4. Djiksteel
    5. Grant
    I'd put Reeves above Marshall
  • Options

For all Bowyer's nice words I'd bet he's glad to see Ajose gone to as it frees up some of his wages for Messi or someone else.

Ambitious. I like it.

Could be a useful player to have on the bench to replace a tiring Jonniesta, Lyle or Karlan.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    People have been at it with Pratley already.
    LenGlover said:

se9addick said:

Oggy Red said:

Most likely candidates:

1. Marshall
    2. Phillips
    3. Djiksteel
    Definite undercurrent of people wanting to slag Grant off in my opinion.

They can't say too much just now because 13 league goals (just 2 penalties) is hard to argue with and speaks for itself.

Nevertheless the Shrewsbury thread shows the eagerness to home in on the chances he missed rather than emphasise his contribution towards terrifying their defence in a comfortable 3-0 victory.
    Pratley is a good call, I’ll actually put him in at 1. Grant is only a slight dip in form away from getting slagged off, if he hadn’t have scored that penalty I think the knives would be getting sharpened already.

Updated table

1. Pratley
    2. Marshall
    3. Phillips
    4. Djiksteel
    5. Grant
    I'd put Reeves above Marshall
    So would I but he's never in the team long enough between injuries for the anti feelings to reach a significant enough level :open_mouth: .
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Should have insisted on a swap for CJ Hamilton

Trust me , he's not great, i've seen him a lot , and if you think our fans get on players backs..... he has more games that are stinkers, than good.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Hope we've got a recall notice in case he hits form like KAG did last season (should do well in league 2) would be a bit nuts not too have one , we might need Nicky for the playoffs!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hope we've got a recall notice in case he hits form like KAG did last season (should do well in league 2) would be a bit nuts not too have one , we might need Nicky for the playoffs!

Doesn't work like that, the transfer window over until the summer
  • Options
    The move leaves Charlton with four strikers, the in-form Taylor and Grant, Igor Vetokele, who is set to return from injury in February and academy graduate Reeco Hackett-Fairchild.

Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.

“I think our recruitment in the summer and now has been very good. We’re very careful on who we pick and I think you can tell that with the people we’ve brought in. Obviously, we’re a striker down but we’re not going to rush around and bring someone in for the sake of bringing someone in.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c3c935e1c6d1/charlton-striker-nicky-ajose-joins-league-two-club-on-loan
  • Options
    I don't understand how this is a loan move, the situation is no different to Williams at palarse, even if we don't pay Ajose off with a lump sum.

Desperately need to replace him, and with an upgrade, which shouldn't be difficult given his contribution here and the recruitment when left to LB & Gallen etc.

RHF ain't ready just as Bow says about many of the youngsters, and Igor's pathetic.
  • Options

I can't understand anyone wanting to slagging Grant off.
    The improvement in him since his loan to Crawley is remarkable.
    Despite a couple of misses Saturday he still had the confidence to take the penalty.
    I can only see him improving from here.

Also, he is getting in to the positions to miss them (obviously it would be better if he didn’t miss them though!). As you say the improvement is remarkable, and long may it continue.
  • Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

His pace to create the chances Saturday was awesome, regardless of the finish (and the keeper did well on 2 of the 3), that pace will terrorise defences and create even more chances in the coming weeks. We now have a pair of strikers and we haven't said that for a while.

Well said.
    Nice meeting you Saturday btw.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Meh. Didn't perform with us and a lot of that was down to his effort levels early on. Bradford away springs to mind.
  • Options
    I understand why Bowyer is playing it cool on replacement. If we only have four strikers (one unfit), he hopes he can stave off Roland's undoubted attempts to cash in on Taylor...particularly concerning now that Tom Elliott of Millwall has dislocated his shoulder.

• Options

Dont particularly rate Ajose, but I am worried this is a repeat of the Novak situation - where we are left scraping the barrel at the end of the transfer window to get a striker in. If Taylor or Grant get injured it means we will need to start league games with Reeco up top - he certainly does not look ready to me.

I would reckon that a move to get Ajose out on loan has been on the cards for a while.

Quite possibly at the players request because he's not getting game time - but also because his style of play doesn't naturally fit into the current gameplan, and Bowyer would want to bring in a replacement that does fit.

There's been big hints from Gallen in his OS article last week about the desire for a new forward; he and Bowyer no doubt already have irons in the fire - it's just a matter of getting the right man in, or persuading his present club that Charlton right now is the best place for their player.

And if we get him, Reeco goes out on loan.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Dont particularly rate Ajose, but I am worried this is a repeat of the Novak situation - where we are left scraping the barrel at the end of the transfer window to get a striker in. If Taylor or Grant get injured it means we will need to start league games with Reeco up top - he certainly does not look ready to me.

I would reckon that a move to get Ajose out on loan has been on the cards for a while.

Quite possibly at the players request because he's not getting game time - but also because his style of play doesn't naturally fit into the current gameplan, and Bowyer would want to bring in a replacement that does fit.

There's been big hints from Gallen in his OS article last week about the desire for a new forward; he and Bowyer no doubt already have irons in the fire - it's just a matter of getting the right man in, or persuading his present club that Charlton right now is the best place for their player.

And if we get him, Reeco goes out on loan.

If Igor was available now, then once we brought in a 4th striker, Reeco could go out, but as Igor won't be available until February (at least) I think it would be too much of a risk to send him out
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Not sorry to see Ajose go. I never took to him and Regarded him as a dud from the first few times I saw him. His body language is awful and I’m just glad that he’s out of the equation. Good luck to him. Hopefully that’s the last we’ll see of him. I do think though that we need a replacement. Igor is destined to be a busted flush and Reeco, despite some promise, is not ready yet. I suspect a reinforcement will be along soon.
  • Options
    Can I go to Mansfield?
  • Options

Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.

Bowyer clearly wants to dampen down expectations, but I'd be staggered if him and Gallen didn't have several targets in mind.

Ajose played pretty well in the cup games against Mansfield, I imagine that brought him to their attention. Potentially a good move for him
    This. I just don't believe that Lee Bowyer would risk going into a crucial promotion run in with one perennially crocked striker (Igor) and one very raw youngster (Reeco) as potential replacements if either Lyle or Karlan pick up injuries or suspensions. They will have a list. The question is whether they will be able to land one of them - and that's a matter of availability as much as budget.
  • Options
    I know he may not be the answer but are we able to recall Umerah if needed?
  • Options
    Speaking of Josh Umerah he is 6 months older than potential scapegoat Karlan Grant. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild is 3 and a half months younger than Karlan.

Two of those are described as 'promising youngsters' whereas the third is on the scapegoat shortlist...
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I thought he went on a permanent deal.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

On loan till the end of the season according to the Official Site.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b6b18213ac4b/charlton-youngster-joins-boreham-wood-on-loan-until-the-end-of-the-season

On the basis that Steer was on loan to us for the season allegedly I wondered what the score was with Umerah.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

On loan till the end of the season according to the Official Site.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5b6b18213ac4b/charlton-youngster-joins-boreham-wood-on-loan-until-the-end-of-the-season

On the basis that Steer was on loan to us for the season allegedly I wondered what the score was with Umerah.
    You are correct.
    Cheers for the info.