Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• Options
    6 goals in 17 starts and 5 sub apps for Umerah. We’ve had worse.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=88191
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Scoham said:

6 goals in 17 starts and 5 sub apps for Umerah. We’ve had worse.

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=88191

Hasn't scored since October. Is he currently injured, do you know?

Edit: Just looked at the Boreham Wood FC OS ...... His last goal, v Maidenhead, 13 October, was from a penalty:
    "In the second half, Josh Umerah stroked his side into a 2-0 lead from the penalty spot."

The last lineup that Umerah played in was v Dover, 27 November, when he came on as a 60th min sub.
    Is he out of favour or injured?
  • Options
    Have never rated Ajose. Can’t see too many tears being shed. Be interesting if we replace or not.
  • Options

Have never rated Ajose. Can’t see too many tears being shed. Be interesting if we replace or not.

Agreed, I don't think anyone is too bothered about this other than the relative lack of cover it now leaves us with.

When he first arrived I think his attitude and demeanor were all wrong, but it was also a tough team to play in for strikers as Slade set us up so conservatively with very little creativity in midfield. The fact he was a bit of a flop at the two or three loan clubs he went to as well tells a story though.

I would say I think some people have been a bit harsh on him this season. He hasn't played a great deal, and he's definitely a level or two below our first choice front pair, but I do think he's contributed and his on pitch attitude has been much better - we didn't miss Grant quite as much as I feared we would for those few games over Christmas, albeit I was still very happy to have him back.

However, the above does have a whiff of 'damning with faint praise' about it, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone at least as good as Ajose to bring in, and hopefully someone a bit better suited to how we now play.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Can I go to Mansfield?

Only if you're quicker than Ajose. :smile:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Speaking of Josh Umerah he is 6 months older than potential scapegoat Karlan Grant. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild is 3 and a half months younger than Karlan.

Two of those are described as 'promising youngsters' whereas the third is on the scapegoat shortlist...

Strange isn’t it. I think Karlan has outstripped all expectations so far this season. He still attracts lots of criticism and without doubt is still learning his trade but his contribution has made a real difference and if we do get a new signing he’s got to go some to shift Karlan imho.

• Options
    Mansfield have also signed Grant.

Thankfully, it's Jorge not Karlan
  • Options

I was speaking to one of my work colleagues this afternoon, a Mansfield fan.

He said that they've been crying out for a goalscorer; they get plenty of supply into the box but haven't got anyone to get the finishing touch.

If he's getting a regular, decent service he might do OK for the Stags.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46189628

Watching the FA Cup highlights, they certainly missed a couple of excellent chances in the first half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Speaking of Josh Umerah he is 6 months older than potential scapegoat Karlan Grant. Reeco Hackett-Fairchild is 3 and a half months younger than Karlan.

Two of those are described as 'promising youngsters' whereas the third is on the scapegoat shortlist...

Been told by someone at work who watches Boreham Wood that his not very good.
  • Options
    Need a replacement striker to keep Taylor/Grant on their toes. Especially Grant.
  • Options

Need a replacement striker to keep Taylor/Grant on their toes. Especially Grant.

Agree. Everybody needs to be pushed.

• Options
    Ajose had moments at CAFC when I thought he would break though but other than Portsmouth away he could never quite do it.. Did a few assists but couldn't get in Charlton's 18 last match.

What summed up Ajose for me this season was the home game when Taylor was suspended and Nicky kept taking up good positions and didn't get the pass then suddenly on the edge of the box a lovely pass from the wing and Ajose takes a swing and misses the ball.
    Good luck Nicky at Mansfield.

I have no idea if RHF can step up but we now need a forward/striker as back up.
  • Options

Why does our top scorer in the league need someone to keep him on his toes?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Complacency.
  • Options

Never hit the high levels which was expected of him. I actually liked Ajose and thought he made a big difference towards the back end of last season.

Without knowing what percent of the wages Mansfield are paying it’s difficult to determine whether we are better off without. Every signing by Bowyer has been spot on so no reason why Ajose replacement won’t be.

Good Luck Nicky.

Yeah, I agree with this. I thought he was tremendous for a run of games alongside Zyro last season. He dragged defenses all over the place with his intelligence and his running. I did not rate him to that point, but was impressed.

Obviously never quite worked out for him, though I think his goals return is like 1/4ish, which is about what it is for his career. I suspect goals/assists per minute is pretty decent. But yeah, at his age he needs to be playing regularly, and he clearly does best when he is the star of the show. Suspect that was the case at Swindon. I imagine he'll walk in to the team at Mansfield, and will probably score a fair few there.

I was worried when we signed him as I don't think there's a place in the modern game for poachers, but he showed he can offer more than that. Best of luck Nicky. Think you got a bad reputation early doors from some supporters and struggled to live that down.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Complacency.
    Ah, looking forward to slagging him off.

Competition is good, but to single out Grant is ridiculous.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

The move leaves Charlton with four strikers, the in-form Taylor and Grant, Igor Vetokele, who is set to return from injury in February and academy graduate Reeco Hackett-Fairchild.

Bowyer said: “There is no rush to replace Nicky at the moment. Like we’ve done all the way through in the summer and in January, if we are going to replace him with somebody, then it would have to be the right person that suits the group we have.

“I think our recruitment in the summer and now has been very good. We’re very careful on who we pick and I think you can tell that with the people we’ve brought in. Obviously, we’re a striker down but we’re not going to rush around and bring someone in for the sake of bringing someone in.”

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c3c935e1c6d1/charlton-striker-nicky-ajose-joins-league-two-club-on-loan

I think calling RHF a senior striker is a bit generous. He started the season as fifth choice and went on loan for a bit, he's now our only reserve center forward. I know Clarke can play there, but there are serious doubts about his fitness at this point, and I'd argue that's not his best position. I know Bowyer and Gallen are probably trying to play it cool, but without a doubt we need to get another forward in before the window closes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What’s the betting that one of Taylor or Grant will get injured, leaving us with no suitable replacement? This would be typical of the bad luck our club suffers with. I don’t rate Hackett btw.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

So he doesn't become complacent ?
    I'm quite certain all managers want competition for places.
    Surprised you've never heard of this.
    Well said.
  • Options
    If Karlan got injured now I would be tempted to play Fosu in a free role and Williams further up the pitch.

If Taylor gets injured then that's a while different question
    We don't have anyone who can be that focal point.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Strange isn’t it. I think Karlan has outstripped all expectations so far this season. He still attracts lots of criticism and without doubt is still learning his trade but his contribution has made a real difference and if we do get a new signing he’s got to go some to shift Karlan imho.

Does he attract criticism? I have seen very few if any criticise grant. It’s almost impossible given his form this season
  • Options

If Karlan got injured now I would be tempted to play Fosu in a free role and Williams further up the pitch.

We have to amend our tactics. Would be possible with someone like Fosu we would have a lot of pace and skill on the deck. Would still fancy us to do ok but we wouldn’t want him out longer then the odd game.

Bowyer isn’t stupid, he will want a striker in, hopefully he is given at least something to make it happen.
  • Options

Agree it's Taylor we need cover for. When Igor's back he gives us another alternative to Grant.
  • Options

Did a few assists but couldn't get in Charlton's 18 last match.

Rather than "couldn't get in Charlton's 18 last match", I suspect that's because his move to Mansfield was already almost done.

There were other options for the bench. No point in taking him if he was already halfway out the door.

• Options
    Best for all parties I guess!! Hope he tears league two apart and gets his career back on track.
  • Options
    I thought he looked fairly interested last few games I’ve seen him play.

Disappointed overall he hasn’t managed to get close to the 20 he scored for Swindon but that’s not all been his fault as others above had said.

Makes decent runs, pulls defensive line out of shape but not quite clicked with finishing or with his team mates. He seems to need it on a plate more than we have been able to deliver.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Did a few assists but couldn't get in Charlton's 18 last match.

Rather than "couldn't get in Charlton's 18 last match", I suspect that's because his move to Mansfield was already almost done.

There were other options for the bench. No point in taking him if he was already halfway out the door.

I always suspected this. Very surprising if he was genuinely behind Reeco in the 18, especially in the sort of game where we would be going for the win