Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• He’s had a very strange Charlton career already. Certainly applied himself since he’s been back but if I’m brutally honest I will be disappointed if Nicky is a regular starter up front next season. Despite his 24 goal Swindon season I can’t see Nicky being prolific enough to warrant being a regular starter in a team hopefully pushing for promotion. Sadly I don’t really see him as an impact sub either. Difficult.

Not really worked out for him or us really has it?

He’s moved either on loan or permanently 13 times - that’s a lot for a 26 year old.

If he is here next season, he needs to hit the ground running - he’s only had one prolific season in his career. I can’t see him having one with us.

• Be good to see how he does having Billy Clarke threading balls through to him rather than lumped balls up from Defence
  • Swisdom said:

Still think he’s shit

Overrated shit

This
  • Be good to see how he does having Billy Clarke threading balls through to him rather than lumped balls up from Defence

It’ll be interesting to see where Clarke fits in. He was signed for KRs formation and doesn’t look like an out and out striker or someone that would play in a flat midfield 4.
  • What’d Ajose’s song ?
  • Oooh Nicky Ajose - repeat to fade.
  • Sponsored links:

• In my book not good enough if we are genuinely going for promotion, but then neither is Josh.

Two new forwards an absolute must if we want promotion next term.
  • Not good enough.
    Get rid and move on.
  • He's one of those players, that for whatever reason, the crowd (and particularly the north upper) absolutely love him.

Yet when we have players like Dale Stephens who's actually very very good the crowd get on their back all the time (although nobody ever admits to this, Stephens was a massive scapegoat back when he played for us)

Frustrating for sure.

Same with Tony Watt and Kyel Reid. Loved by sections of fans. On the other hand players like Scott Wagstaff and Lloyd Sam got abuse despite probably having more end product in terms of goals and assists.
  • Swisdom said:

Still think he’s shit

Overrated shit

This
    Fits in well with the rest of the team then.
  • edited May 2018
    if he is in the squad, fine, but then to be a regular starter either he has to be banging them in or we are having another crap season and did not invest in the team. However with a squad with four out and out strikers, there is not room for KAG, Mags and Ajose and as @Henry Irving says KAG is preferable to Ajose.
  • doronron said:

If Ajose hits 12/15 goals next year and Magennis does the same that should be more than enough,don't always need 20+ goalscorers

There is no way those two will get a 25/30 goal partnership in my opinion.
  • Certainly think Ajose is capable of a 12-15 goal season, he needs much much better service though
  • Sponsored links:

• doronron said:

If Ajose hits 12/15 goals next year and Magennis does the same that should be more than enough,don't always need 20+ goalscorers

Il have a portrait of Ajose on my taint if this happens

• edited May 2018
    doronron said:

There's always one person who tries to see light from a dire situation.
  • doronron said:

Play it long for Josh to flick the ball on to him ? No thanks
  • Sage said:

Out of the games he played for us under Bowyer, how many chances did he actually get in comparison to other players? One main one I can remember is his goal at Portsmouth.

He’s a League One player, instead of feeding off scraps and playing alongside a striker who can’t hold up the ball, I think with service he will score goals.

Agreed, it's not as if he's misses loads of sitters
  • Sage said:

Out of the games he played for us under Bowyer, how many chances did he actually get in comparison to other players? One main one I can remember is his goal at Portsmouth.

He’s a League One player, instead of feeding off scraps and playing alongside a striker who can’t hold up the ball, I think with service he will score goals.

Agreed, it's not as if he's misses loads of sitters
    One of our few players to hit the target, even if not the back of the net.
  • Scoham said:

Be good to see how he does having Billy Clarke threading balls through to him rather than lumped balls up from Defence

It’ll be interesting to see where Clarke fits in. He was signed for KRs formation and doesn’t look like an out and out striker or someone that would play in a flat midfield 4.
    He might well be effective playing in the hole behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1.

Especially if there is a midfielder willing to make forward off the ball runs from deep.
  • Think Ajose could score a fair few with the right supply, but would definitely rather see KAG given the chance as I feel he is in better form and being home-grown etc. Maybe KAG and Ajose next to each other would work well even??
  • TBH I was quite impressed with Ajose's contribution under Bowyer.

While the stats say he scored just once, he had plenty of involvement in creating chances and goals scored, good running and well timed movement off the ball. He played his part well in the team effort.

What he didn't get was decent service - with killer balls from midfield and the right player beside him, he'll pick up the layoffs, knockdowns and loose balls. But you have to play to his strengths and abilities, like Swindon did. Or you don't play him at all.

• I’d say KAG deserves his chance. Personally think him and ajose are about the same level but KAG has a lot of potential. Really hope KAG can nail down a place, although I have a feeling he’ll be another Kevin lisbie, bags of potential and can go between being a goal machine to being unable to hit a barn door in a very short space of time. I hope, like lisbie, he doesn’t have to leave the club to really show what he can do.
  • Sorry don't get the obsession with giving Ajose chance after chance. He did come back in and show improvement in his all round game and effort, and I agree he didn't miss a string of chances but I still feel we are hoping he can rediscover that scoring form that was only really 1 season.

He's not the sort of striker who we can rely on to help us get promotion and IMO should fall below KAG in the pecking order (and I'm not a massive KAG fan).