Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nicky Ajose - pg 6, loaned to Mansfield for remainder of season

Comments

• Options
    IF we made it to the Championship players like Da Silva, Zyro and Mavididi would make ideal permanent signings. To be fair I would be surprised if any of them made it into their respective parent club's teams - not because of ability - but because Arsenal (and especially Chelski) concentrate on bringing in foreign 'superstars' at the expense of home-grown talent.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season

I'd like us top sign Zyro on a permanent deal if we go up. Can't see us keeping him in League One though.
    If Wolves get promoted (likely) he could very well be available, particularly if the current run of form continues.
  • Options
    Looking at Igor's record, he's only scored 3 goals this season, I'm not sure how the standard in the Belgian 1st division (STTV were mid table) compares with the Championship
  • Options
    addick05 said:

IF we made it to the Championship players like Da Silva, Zyro and Mavididi would make ideal permanent signings. To be fair I would be surprised if any of them made it into their respective parent club's teams - not because of ability - but because Arsenal (and especially Chelski) concentrate on bringing in foreign 'superstars' at the expense of home-grown talent.

Agreed, I think Mavididi and Zyro might be available. Chelsea won’t get rid of Dasilva permanently yet. We could get him on loan again but might need to be in the Champ for that
  • Options
    Dasilva wont come cheap as he only signed a new four year deal with Chelsea in the summer
  • Options

Dasilva wont come cheap as he only signed a new four year deal with Chelsea in the summer

And that's the whole point of Chelsea's 'hoover up all the young talent' policy.

Give the kids a good football grounding, loan them out for experience - and then flog them off at the highest price they can get, once they're ready. That pays for the entire Chelsea youth system.

If by chance, the 1 in 100 turns into a diamond, then they've got themselves a top, top player, without paying an exorbitant transfer fee.
    And will fetch a very good price when it's time for him to be sold.

• Options

Croydon said:

Ajose | Vetokele | Magennis | Ahearne-Grant -- If we can sign someone to rival Magennis in that target man type role, Striker isnt a position we should have to worry about next season

I'd like us top sign Zyro on a permanent deal if we go up. Can't see us keeping him in League One though.
    If Wolves get promoted (likely) he could very well be available, particularly if the current run of form continues.
    Likely available, yes but will he want to drop down to League One if that's where we are next season?

He'd be an asset to a Championship team so I hope we can convince him that Charlton is the best place to be even if it might mean being in the third division for another season.
  • Options
    Ajose's form since his return has led me to finally accept that I know sod all about football (which i only ever believed fleetingly if I'm honest). Watching him in the Slade years I would have put my house on him fading into soccer obscurity, were it not for that YouTube video perhaps. He didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities back then, but now he's mustard.
  • Options
    Leon Clarke didn't work out for us but seems to have done okay since.
  • Options
    He used to be shite
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Leon Clarke didn't work out for us but seems to have done okay since.

Leon Clarke is a really strange case, it appears to be 50/50 as to whether he will get a hat-full at his new club or get none at all
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Ajose's form since his return has led me to finally accept that I know sod all about football (which i only ever believed fleetingly if I'm honest). Watching him in the Slade years I would have put my house on him fading into soccer obscurity, were it not for that YouTube video perhaps. He didn't seem to have any redeeming qualities back then, but now he's mustard.

still early though, Ajose still has to prove himself. Not knocking him as he seems to be working hard with the right attitude. But he needs to prove himself for more than just a handful of games and could do with a couple of goals in the last few games too.
  • Options

Looking at Igor's record, he's only scored 3 goals this season, I'm not sure how the standard in the Belgian 1st division (STTV were mid table) compares with the Championship

Not a huge surprise; I didn't think his finishing was that good. He was so sharp in that early spell under Peeters that he scored a few goals (and we were playing very well) , but after that he didn't look that special
  • Options

Croydon said:

Yeah he's the target man I was thinking of myself when I wrote the above.
    SDAddick said:

I can't see Igor coming back unfortunately. I think Ajose still needs to show he can do it consistently over a season. When you look at his goalscoring record, it's about 1/4 outside of two good seasons, one at Bury and one at Swindon. His off the ball movement and workrate have been excellent, but it's true he can't really play up front on his own, regardless of what he might think. He likes the freedom to roam, which is fine with two up front, and his hold up play isn't great.

KAG is obviously doing great things in League Two, hopefully he can bring that up to League One.
    Igor is an interesting case at the moment, if the takeover happens then it'll be a lot harder for STVV to loan him again - Means the only way he'd leave is if the new owners are happy to cancel his Contract, or if a genuine club are willing to buy and pay his wages.

Your right though; Ajose does need to prove he can do it over a season, and whilst KAG should be able to bring his confidence back into League One - Can he do it in the Championship if we get promoted.

Ideally we'll loan him back out and bring back someone like Mavididi for a third time
    I'm not even considering us being in the Championship next season. It's bad luck that. I'm just plugging along planning for League One again.

Yeah I don't know what happens with Igor in the event of a takeover. But I suspect something will be sorted where he can stay in Belgium. I think he's good enough to come in and contend in the Championship, let alone League One. But he's Belgian, he's got a wife and young child, and his experience here was clearly terrible at times. I wouldn't fault him for not wanting to come back.

As for Zyro, I would love to have him permanently with a full preseason behind him. I struggle to see that happen though. I think the only reason we got him is because he'd been out for so long. Even with Wolves going up I think he has enough ability to go there and at least try to become a first team regular. But if we get promoted he's someone we should definitely be trying to get back on loan for another year. Think he'd like the Championship far better than League One as there are fewer cloggers and shit pitches.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

I'd love all three, but I don't think Mav and DaSilva will be available for permanent moves in the next year or two. Teams like Arsenal and Chelsea just don't need the cash and are happy to keep loaning out players with even the slightest hint of promise. Kane, who scored against us for Oxford, is still with them despite being something like 21 and having nowhere near the pedigree of DaSilva. Chelsea must watch his games and know that Little Jay has a ton of potential. I think the best we could hope for is another loan if we get promoted. Same with Stephy, who has shown what he's capable of.

The only one who I think might be possible is Zyro, but only if we're promoted. And even then Wolves have the money where they don't need to sell. And as I said above I think they'll want him back in preseason to see what he's capable of when for. Maybe if he loves it here and we get promoted he could try to force a move, but again I think most likely for him would be a loan.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

addick05 said:

I'd love all three, but I don't think Mav and DaSilva will be available for permanent moves in the next year or two. Teams like Arsenal and Chelsea just don't need the cash and are happy to keep loaning out players with even the slightest hint of promise. Kane, who scored against us for Oxford, is still with them despite being something like 21 and having nowhere near the pedigree of DaSilva. Chelsea must watch his games and know that Little Jay has a ton of potential. I think the best we could hope for is another loan if we get promoted. Same with Stephy, who has shown what he's capable of.

The only one who I think might be possible is Zyro, but only if we're promoted. And even then Wolves have the money where they don't need to sell. And as I said above I think they'll want him back in preseason to see what he's capable of when for. Maybe if he loves it here and we get promoted he could try to force a move, but again I think most likely for him would be a loan.
    Didn’t someone say Mavididi is out of contract? Not like Arsène to run them down! In all seriousness though not sure he will get a new one, but do 100% agree with Dasilva

PS - pretty sure Todd Kane is something like 25!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

addick05 said:

Didn’t someone say Mavididi is out of contract? Not like Arsène to run them down! In all seriousness though not sure he will get a new one, but do 100% agree with Dasilva

Fuck me you're right he's 24!!!!

As for Stephy, I can't find anything that says his Arsenal contract is up in the summer. Transfermarkt says his contract is up 31 May, but that's his contract with Charlton.

Just in reading some things looking for contract information on him it was a reminder that he's highly thought of there. I can't see him being out of contract and allowed to leave for a development fee. Chuba Akpom and Joel Campbell are still technically Arsenal players as is Carl Jenkinson, so keeping youngsters under contract seems to be something they're good at.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

addick05 said:

Fuck me you're right he's 24!!!!

As for Stephy, I can't find anything that says his Arsenal contract is up in the summer. Transfermarkt says his contract is up 31 May, but that's his contract with Charlton.

Just in reading some things looking for contract information on him it was a reminder that he's highly thought of there. I can't see him being out of contract and allowed to leave for a development fee. Chuba Akpom and Joel Campbell are still technically Arsenal players as is Carl Jenkinson, so keeping youngsters under contract seems to be something they're good at.
    I thought he signed a new contract with them last summer for 3 or 4 yrs?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

addick05 said:

SDAddick said:

addick05 said:

With the money Wolves are spending I doubt Zyro will play for them again.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    JamesSeed said:

A classic example of @JamesSeed not knowing as much as Jimmy Seed, judged on the Bristol match.
    To be fair, he worked hard, and if their keeper hadn’t pulled off an excellent save from his curling effort that looked destined for the top left corner, we’d be singing his praises today.
    I’m expecting he’ll get another chance on a Tuesday unless LB thinks Mavididi’s pace might be useful against the Dons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    In Bowyer we trust but I can only imagine that Ajosie keeps being taken off around the 65 minute because off Mavididi pace and trickery (on a good day) and Zyro and Josh's defences work from the opposition's free kicks and corners.
    If he gets one he will get half a dozen before the end of season (when ever that may be !)
    The problem is getting the 1st one.
  • Options

In Bowyer we trust but I can only imagine that Ajosie keeps being taken off around the 65 minute because off Mavididi pace and trickery (on a good day) and Zyro and Josh's defences work from the opposition's free kicks and corners.
    If he gets one he will get half a dozen before the end of season (when ever that may be !)
    The problem is getting the 1st one.

This, I think once he gets one, he'll get more!
  • Options
    On Mavididi speaking to arsenal mates they seem to think that it's accepted he doeant have an arsenal future. Sounds like the club were pretty disappointed with his spell at Preston. They will probably give him one more chance to prove himself in the champs next year.
  • Options

On Mavididi speaking to arsenal mates they seem to think that it's accepted he doeant have an arsenal future. Sounds like the club were pretty disappointed with his spell at Preston. They will probably give him one more chance to prove himself in the champs next year.

Considering his contract is up end of this season will they give him a new contract just to loan him out again to Championship in the hope he does better?
  • Options
    Have more respect for Bowyer straight away reading this.

Said weeks ago (When Robinson made his "I've only one Striker" comment) that Ajose should be starting so that we can effectively win the game by going ahead - If we're then leading, he can go off and have a rest... Instead Robinson took the approach of only playing him when we're chasing the game, which meant he was restricted to ineffective cameos!!
  • Options

Said weeks ago (When Robinson made his "I've only one Striker" comment) that Ajose should be starting so that we can effectively win the game by going ahead - If we're then leading, he can go off and have a rest... Instead Robinson took the approach of only playing him when we're chasing the game, which meant he was restricted to ineffective cameos!!
    I don't disagree with that in theory, but I also don't know how fit Ajose was under Robinson, if he was 60 minutes fit.

I just think there's been a broader (not leveled at you FA) bit of revisionist history that "Robinson had the same players." And while he technically did, he never had as many of them as fit at the same time as Bowyer has. That's not to say we'd be doing as well if Robinson were in charge, we almost certainly wouldn't be. But Ajose and Zyro, for example, were almost certainly not fit enough to start two games in four days a month ago. And obviously Mav, DaSilva, and Page are all just coming back from injury layoffs.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I just think there's been a broader (not leveled at you FA) bit of revisionist history that "Robinson had the same players." And while he technically did, he never had as many of them as fit at the same time as Bowyer has.
    What gets me about Bowyer / Robinson having different players available is the way they're being managed.

For a good few months I felt that Robinson would rush players back from injury when by all means they could have been eased back into the squad - Take Page / Dasilva as examples, the latter was technically fit for Northampton yet wasnt thrown straight back into the squad, same with Page... at the moment he's suffering with cramp and could see Bowyer potentially resting him tonight, for Robinson that thought probably wouldn't even enter his head and Page would be playing regardless
  • Options
    Is Ajose the worst ever Charlton player to have a song ?
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Is Ajose the worst ever Charlton player to have a song ?

No, that would be Ralph Milne (RIP): He's fat, he's round, his arse drags on the ground, Ralphie Milne, Ralphie Milne