Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• So what’s peoples views in Appleton as a manager? With the meme etc he has always been a bit of a joke focus on here, but looking at the players he has compared to us, is he actually proving to be a decent manager? He’s getting a lot out of them and as just mentioned they seem to be in it for the long haul.

Deserves a lot of credit with Lincoln. Makes me wonder what we all would have thought if he rocked up at Charlton a year ago? 

Is he underrated?
  • edited February 2021
    Dont think he's ever been a bad Manager

He was just a bit of a twat in the sense that he wasnt very loyal at one stage, moving very quickly from Blackpool to Blackburn. The poor results because he jumped so quickly made him look a bad Manager when he should have taken his time and built his reputation more

His spells at both Oxford and Lincoln show he is very capable at this level
  • Dont think he's ever been a bad Manager

He was just a bit of a twat in the sense that he wasnt very loyal at one stage, moving very quickly from Blackpool to Blackburn. The poor results because he jumped so quickly made him look a bad Manager when he should have taken his time and built his reputation more

His spells at both Oxford and Lincoln show he is very capable at this level
    Agreed, he went through a spell of constantly jumping ship, and to some basket case clubs too, so was the obvious person to mention whenever a job became vacant!

He is a decent coach/manager, and seems to have settled down a bit now...but it's still a cracking photo  :D

• cafc_se7 said:
    Can’t knock their position but they haven’t achieved anything yet! Can hardly compare him to Bowyer! Appleton had all summer to assemble his squad...Bowyer had two weeks of picking off sloppy seconds!
    True but the likes of Gibley, Shinnie, Famewo, Innis, Washington, Warson and Gunter were all signed on the basis that were capable of playing for a top side in this division
  • edited February 2021
    Interesting is Shrewsbury’s ongoing form 7 wins 1 draw an 2 defeat in last 10 league games. Which includes defeating Doncaster, Hull, Lincoln, Peterborough and Sunderland.

Thats promotion form, an although they have games in hand they may have left their good form to late. An interesting is they picked up Harrison Chapman from Blackburn on loan in Jan and he is now 4 games 4 goals. Are they the team that will finish strong to take the 6th spot. 

Iv an interest as a little while back I had a chunky bet on them at 9/2 to finish top half. An a nice 50/1 top 6. 
  • Interesting is Shrewsbury’s ongoing form 7 wins 1 draw an 2 defeat in last 10 league games. Which includes defeating Doncaster, Hull, Lincoln, Peterborough and Sunderland.

Thats promotion form, an although they have games in hand they may have left their good form to late. An interesting is they picked up Harrison Chapman from Blackburn on loan in Jan and he is now 4 games 4 goals. Are they the team that will finish strong to take the 6th spot. 
    Chapman looks a class above at this level.
    Strangely, he doesn't look like a footballer if you know what I mean.
    Chubby looking fell.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Can’t knock their position but they haven’t achieved anything yet! Can hardly compare him to Bowyer! Appleton had all summer to assemble his squad...Bowyer had two weeks of picking off sloppy seconds!
    Don’t want to turn this into a Bowyer analysis but you’re being a bit kind on Lee and harsh on Appleton IMO.

As an example - Lincoln have a couple of ex MK Dons players. Both of which were out voted in Poty by Gilbey.

Lincoln have a Southend clogger up front. Bowyer can pick from Aneke, Stockley, Washington, Schwartz.

Long way to go as you say but some great managerial performances in this top 6 being underrated.
  • Interesting is Shrewsbury’s ongoing form 7 wins 1 draw an 2 defeat in last 10 league games. Which includes defeating Doncaster, Hull, Lincoln, Peterborough and Sunderland.

Chubby looking fell.
    Neither did Puskas for that matter. He could play a bit though too:

"Look at that little fat chap," one unidentified England player is quoted as saying prior to their match against Hungary at Wembley in 1953. "We'll murder this lot."

Puskas may have been short, stocky and exclusively left-footed. But that left foot would earn him a remarkable strike rate of 83 goals in just 84 appearances for his country.

The "little fat chap" scored two of those goals that day as the Hungarians thrashed England 6-3 and became the first continental team to win at Wembley.

Chubby looking fell.
    Neither did Puskas for that matter. He could play a bit though too:

"Look at that little fat chap," one unidentified England player is quoted as saying prior to their match against Hungary at Wembley in 1953. "We'll murder this lot."

Puskas may have been short, stocky and exclusively left-footed. But that left foot would earn him a remarkable strike rate of 83 goals in just 84 appearances for his country.

The "little fat chap" scored two of those goals that day as the Hungarians thrashed England 6-3 and became the first continental team to win at Wembley.

He would fail the height test!
  • Sponsored links:

• for some reason i actually thought Lincoln would go up last season. Put a bet on it. I thought they had enough about them. They started well with 3 wins but then they struggled. Didn't help that the Cowley brothers pissed off to Huddersfield.  

This season i put on the same bet for them to go up. Think Appleton is doing well there but he has a good foundation with that team as they were strong to start off with. He's added some good players and they are performing very well. 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    True but the likes of Gibley, Shinnie, Famewo, Innis, Washington, Warson and Gunter were all signed on the basis that were capable of playing for a top side in this division
    And when they were playing we went on a clean sheet, winning run? Or did that not really happen?
  • for some reason i actually thought Lincoln would go up last season. Put a bet on it. I thought they had enough about them. They started well with 3 wins but then they struggled. Didn't help that the Cowley brothers pissed off to Huddersfield.  

This season i put on the same bet for them to go up. Think Appleton is doing well there but he has a good foundation with that team as they were strong to start off with. He's added some good players and they are performing very well. 
    This year's Lincoln team is largely a new one, there was a massive rebuild in the summer (like Powell did before he won the title). It's very much Appleton's side

This year's Lincoln team is largely a new one, there was a massive rebuild in the summer (like Powell did before he won the title). It's very much Appleton's side
    ah, fair enough. Shows that Appleton is doing a good job so far. Hopefully for me and the few quid heading my way they go up. Not at the expense of us though. 
  • Things can still slide. I wasn't that impressed with them to be honest. They benefitted from officiating so poor against us, somebody who didn't know better could argue it was dishonest. Not saying it was, but it was that bad.
  • So what’s peoples views in Appleton as a manager? With the meme etc he has always been a bit of a joke focus on here, but looking at the players he has compared to us, is he actually proving to be a decent manager? He’s getting a lot out of them and as just mentioned they seem to be in it for the long haul.

Deserves a lot of credit with Lincoln. Makes me wonder what we all would have thought if he rocked up at Charlton a year ago? 

Is he underrated?
    He's found a job that suits him .. he's been given a decent budget by the owners to build his own squad of his own choosing .. he's assembled a mostly very young and talented group of players after dismantling the Cowley team which was itself reasonably successful ..
    Lincoln play very good football and can also put it about if and when it's required .. they are settled and have talent in all positions,.
    I had my doubts earlier whether there was enough depth in the squad to mount a consistent promotion push .. a few shrewd signings last month have probably added the needed depth and quality ..
     Appleton and his assistants have done a good job at Lincoln .. as to is he underrated ? .. lots of managers have success at one club after a not very successful career doing the rounds and are then not able to replicate that success elsewhere .. Appleton's forté seems to be the ability to talent spot and then build a team from scratch, it remains to be seen if he can come in to a club to manage a group of established and experienced players, he's probably more of a Curbishley than an Allardyce 
  • .cafc_se7 said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    And when they were playing we went on a clean sheet, winning run? Or did that not really happen?
    Sorry but 5 of the 7 have been regularly playing/available during this run. Or did that not really happen? And is the unavailability of two players the sole reason why we've only picked up 20 points from our last 17 games?
  • Another round of fixtures for some teams this evening

• No doubt every long shot Gillingham have will fly into the crowd!
  • No doubt every long shot Gillingham have will fly into the crowd!
    Or be saved without too much discomfort.

I will probably tune in to it tbf.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Also 2 games tomorrow
    Wigan vs Hull
    Doncaster vs Accrington

More importantly the EFL Trophy semi are this week  :D
    Oxford vs Tranmere tonight
    Sunderland vs Lincoln tomorrow
    That's 3 of the Top 7, including 2 direct rivals for the playoff places
  • Also 2 games tomorrow

Wigan vs Hull
    Doncaster vs Accrington

Some people have been wringing their hands in despair, saying that Accrington and Doncaster have several games each in hand on us.

What they completely forgot ...... is that they have to play each other!

• Oggy Red said:
    Also 2 games tomorrow

Wigan vs Hull
    Doncaster vs Accrington

Some people have been wringing their hands in despair, saying that Accrington and Doncaster have several games each in hand on us.

Yes but Accy do have 3 games in hand on us, a draw tonight see's them go above us on GD with another 2 games in hand. We will not catch Donny so we need them to win.
  • What does it matter when you cannot beat Jillingham at home?
  • Peterborough losing to Gillingham 1-0. So far so good. 
  • edited February 2021
    Gills 1 Pboro 0 soft penalty, push on Akinde who went down as if he was auditioning for the Olympic diving team. He then smashed the penalty home down the middle.
  • edited February 2021
    To be fair Gills deserving their lead Pboro offering very little, don’t think they’ve had a shot yet let alone one on target.
    Will put them only three points behind us ....
  • Oggy Red said:
    Also 2 games tomorrow

Wigan vs Hull
    Doncaster vs Accrington

Yes but Accy do have 3 games in hand on us, a draw tonight see's them go above us on GD with another 2 games in hand. We will not catch Donny so we need them to win.
    Accy and Donny will still have 2 games in hand - but let them worry about us. You know, I also worry about us. :smile:

The only certainty is: there's no certainty. 

Will put them only three points behind us ....

I get that but whilst teams are below us not too worried. Only want to look up the table!! Wishful thinking I know with the way we are playing! Hoping Bristol can beat pompey tonight.