Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• cafc_se7 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Only 6 behind Hull really isn’t as bad as I thought. 

A good run and we can definitely do this.
    No way would Hull be top 2 if all the teams had played 27 though. We're a long way behind Lincoln and Doncaster, we'd need one heck of a run to finish top 2, probably about 14 wins from 19 minimum, it's not going to happen. 
    It’s not really a long way though is it? 
    I think it is yes. 9 points off Lincoln who have a game in hand and a much better GD. 5 points off Doncaster who have three games in hand. Yes games in hand don't mean they will necessarily get the points in the bag, but even if you guess at 4 points in those three games that still leaves us roughly 9 points off both the top 2. So to be honest I don't know how you can say otherwise. 
    It’s 9 points though? We put the run together that we did at start of the season, and we will catch them! 
  • Such a strange season. I wouldn’t be surprised if everything suddenly clicked and we went on a massive run of wins - equally, I wouldn’t be surprised if we lost the next 5. 

I’m usually a pessimist but I have a strange feeling we’ll sneak in 2nd.
  • edited February 2021
    Talk of sneaking into the top two is a little optimistic when our manager can't stick to a formation, clean sheets are few and far between and key players are regularly sent off or get injured.
  • Which of the teams in the playoff places do we think we could beat? On the strength of our performances against them, maybe Peterboro or Portsmouth? The good news is that our end of season fixtures are nearly all against the top sides. So to even get into the playoffs we will have to perform well against them and maybe get a psychological advantage. Long shot for me unless our defence really tightens up.
  • edited February 2021
    The games in hand teams around us have is massive. I think we’ll end up 7/8th.
    Win the league next season. 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Only 6 behind Hull really isn’t as bad as I thought. 

A good run and we can definitely do this.
    No way would Hull be top 2 if all the teams had played 27 though. We're a long way behind Lincoln and Doncaster, we'd need one heck of a run to finish top 2, probably about 14 wins from 19 minimum, it's not going to happen. 
    It’s not really a long way though is it? 
    I think it is yes. 9 points off Lincoln who have a game in hand and a much better GD. 5 points off Doncaster who have three games in hand. Yes games in hand don't mean they will necessarily get the points in the bag, but even if you guess at 4 points in those three games that still leaves us roughly 9 points off both the top 2. So to be honest I don't know how you can say otherwise. 
    It’s 9 points though? We put the run together that we did at start of the season, and we will catch them! 
    Well of course it's possible, I never said it wasn't. But 9 points (10 really given GD) is a long way off. To put it into context, people are saying City have already won the title and the gap if anything is slightly less. 
  • I would take finishing 6th all day long.
    I’m just following Sunderland, Accrington and Oxford results. Just to need stay in front of them and we should get that 6th spot. Still got to play them all away from home and plenty of football to be played until end of the season.
  • edited February 2021
    *Just posted this then realised it's best placed in the Salary cap thread, so will move it*

With the change to the illegal Salary cap, I just wonder if players will equip and/or express themselves slightly differently on the pitch now. There is now a:

- Window for those that have the aim to move around/upwards
    - Chance of an enhanced contract at current club. (Take Ronnie for an example, if he does the bizz, we can reward him, if it is a struggle than our current arrangement probably suits the club more than player).
    - More options in your short term career than to see your contract out as some clubs's would have previously rejected offers knowing they can't get similar calibre players in
    - Feel confident the kids in the first team squad are not earning more than you, for no viable reason.
  • Sponsored links:

• reserves said:
    Addickted said:
    We need a minimum of 10 points from the next twelve to even be looking at a chance of going up automatically.

Automatic? Here’s me praying we scrape a playoff place. 
    This x 100. In all reality I think we are fighting for 5th or 6th spot. Nothing else. 

IF we go on a bit of a run now, like winning 3 out of our next 4 then we have a chance but only if we do that. Then it's all down to the last 8 games where we play all the top 6 teams. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Which of course is easier said than done given we could have 2 from Derby, Birmingham and Sheff Weds coming down.

As much as i'd love those teams to drop, if we do not get promotion then it probably works out better for us if Rotherham and Coventry join Wycombe.
  • On the back of what I have seen, not what I have not seen, I am in no way whatsoever expecting or targeting.

Sounds a bit Tottenham, West Ham, Arsenal to be doing that after a win, whilst ignoring the wider story!
  • Valley11 said:
    Which of course is easier said than done given we could have 2 from Derby, Birmingham and Sheff Weds coming down.

As much as i'd love those teams to drop, if we do not get promotion then it probably works out better for us if Rotherham and Coventry join Wycombe.
    Derby might not be a bad shout though if they're in financial troubles

You would expect them to lose an influx of players and wont be able to buy the League

Rotherham and Paul Warne have promotion from League One down to a fine art
  • Donny in the play offs :)
  • Donny in the play offs :)
    It’s a real possibility that us, Sunderland, Donny and Portsmouth make up up the play off places again. Unlikely as you’d expect Lincoln, Hull and Peterborough to make top 6 but possible nonetheless. 
  • Peterborough have usually faded out of contention by now but still very much in it.
  • iaitch said:
    Peterborough have usually faded out of contention by now but still very much in it.
    They've tightened up that's for sure, only conceded 24 in 26. Think someone said we're doing what Peterborough usually do by scoring and conceding plenty which is definitely accurate at the moment. 
  • edited February 2021
    Peterborough at the moment are much better at home than away, their awful pitch has to be an advantage for them as they're used to it

• Sponsored links:

• Talk of sneaking into the top two is a little optimistic when our manager can't stick to a formation, clean sheets are few and far between and key players are regularly sent off or get injured.
    You should have mentioned the key players getting injured and suspended part first! Bowyer getting pelters for changing the team constantly...losing key players and the current crop not performing is the whole reason why he has had to mess about so much! I’m sure he didn’t want to make 2 subs at the end of the first half several times but he had to because in most cases, they didn’t deserve to stay on the pitch! 

I am no Bowyer apologist but I really do think we need to cut the guy some slack! Yes his tactics have been questionable but the problem lies deeper than that.....his hand has been forced (bar the omission of Liam Millar last week against Pompey which still baffles me). 

Look at our team pre covid, a couple of seasons ago, when we had the spine of our team in Phillips, Bauer, Pearce, Aribo, Cullen, Lyle, Karlan...the team hardly ever changed...because he had a squad of players performing! 

It’s not as if he has a habit of tinkering! Last season and this season, he has been dealt some awful blows with injuries! 

• When you look at our next five games we ought to aim to win all of them and then we can review where we are and what can be achieved.
  • Peterborough at the moment are much better at home than away, their awful pitch has to be an advantage for them as they're used to it

These form tables alone is proof and pudding that there are no real stand out performers in this league! Barnsley were automatics on 80 points the season we went up previously. Do people honestly think we will need much more than 80 points looking at the form tables? 

13 wins out of the 19 gets autos for me! 
  • When you look at our next five games we ought to aim to win all of them and then we can review where we are and what can be achieved.
    I agree! 
  • edited February 2021
    After the Bristol Rovers and MK Dons wins I was happy we won but not overly excited because if we played like that every game, a run is unlikely. Rochdale was a game where it suggested a run is possible. Now it is only one game and we have to start winning at the Valley too, but I think if we play and approach a game like that, home and away, we ought to beat the majority of teams in this league comfortably.
  • After the Bristol Rovers and MK Dons wins I was happy we won but not overly excited because if we played like that every game, a run is unlikely. Rochdale was a game where it suggested a run is possible. Now it is only one game and we have to start winning at the Valley too, but I think if we play and approach a game like that, home and away, we ought to beat the majority of teams in this league comfortably.
    wouldn't read too much into beating Rochdale, they lost more heavily at home to MKD last night than they did to us.
  • edited February 2021
    After the Bristol Rovers and MK Dons wins I was happy we won but not overly excited because if we played like that every game, a run is unlikely. Rochdale was a game where it suggested a run is possible. Now it is only one game and we have to start winning at the Valley too, but I think if we play and approach a game like that, home and away, we ought to beat the majority of teams in this league comfortably.
    wouldn't read too much into beating Rochdale, they lost more heavily at home to MKD last night than they did to us.
    Yes, as that table above shows, at home they've won 0 drawn 3 and lost 5 of their last 8 home matches

Us getting over excited about winning there is like saying Liverpool are back to their best because they've beaten Sheffield United
  • It does put it into perspective. Perhaps if we scored 5, then we would have shown more promise. 
    But a wins a win. 
  • After the Bristol Rovers and MK Dons wins I was happy we won but not overly excited because if we played like that every game, a run is unlikely. Rochdale was a game where it suggested a run is possible. Now it is only one game and we have to start winning at the Valley too, but I think if we play and approach a game like that, home and away, we ought to beat the majority of teams in this league comfortably.
    Yes, as that table above shows, at home they've won 0 drawn 3 and lost 5 of their last 8 home matches

Us getting over excited about winning there is like saying Liverpool are back to their best because they've beaten Sheffield United
    It isn't the opponents but more how we played. That is the way I believe we should be approaching games at this level.
  • The weird thing is we have not played well for quite some time but find ourselves in a play off spot. God knows if the defenders are back and playing well and we go on a run... .. 2  weeks ago I would have said "no way play offs and gave up but now".  The teams that seem to be consistent are Doncaster, Hull, Lincoln and Pompey and Doncaster lost last night. From Ipswich down I can't see any of them in the play offs (including Ipswich).  It seems the top 8 are fighting the top 6 places with the usual suspects.